Scholastic

Scholastic Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Scholastic Chairman, President, and CEO Dick Robinson

Dick Robinson

Pros:
  • "Great understanding of work life balance"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Great office location in SoHo NYC"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "Communication from upper management was disorganized and infrequent"
    in 18 reviews
  • "The heavily siloed departments and nepotistic senior management are hurting internal communications"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very enjoyable place to work

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
Secaucus, NJ

I have been working at Scholastic full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPeople are very nice to work with

ConsCommute is too long and the pay isn't that good

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no advice for Management

A good experience to get one's feet wet in business operations.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Secaucus, NJ

I worked at Scholastic as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe internship gave the opportunity to get insight into financial operations and the process behind publishing. Coworkers and mentors were very helpful and provided assistance when needed. Served as a good starting point while business was my main interest.

ConsWork consisted of primarily data entry or going through invoices and other sorts of paperwork. Few opportunities to work with other coworkers or for work that broke up the monotony.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more opportunities for interns to get involved so that the work itself feels more rewarding. This being said, it was only an internship, so the extent that this could be improved may not be large.

Great mission and vision, but lack of structure and proper management to implement it.

I have been working at Scholastic full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat location in Soho. Pretty decent work life balance and flexibility.

ConsMinimal opportunity for growth and training. Management has deteriorated rapidly.

Great place to be an intern!

Editorial Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Scholastic as an intern for less than a year

ProsReally friendly team, attentive manager, super cool location in SoHo, interesting work.

ConsPeople kept to themselves, not much opportunity for advancement (though this is probably characteristic of most publishing firms).

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage younger staff -- as a childrens' book publisher, they're an important perspective.

Lots of great people though hard to move up unless someone moves out...

I have been working at Scholastic full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat insurance along with other benefits make lower pay scale a bit more bearable.

ConsDifficult to move up in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMuch of management is stuck in their ways and are not open to new ideas.

Fun workplace, but weird undercurrents

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Scholastic part-time for more than a year

ProsBeautiful bookstore, well-stocked, great birthday parties, lots of free food around.

ConsStrange divide between the store and the corporate offices, including the management of the store.

Weak IT leadership, No vision, and inept 20+ year VPs and Directors

I have been working at Scholastic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- 9 to 5 job
- slow moving organization

ConsIt is unfortunate the Cons are numerous:
- IT leadership is weak and it shows so clearly to anyone paying attention. It is often compared to an organized zoo, the clown gets 15 minutes fame then hides. The company has no CIO, and the person in charge is not up to par with the responsibilities of the position. You would expect top leaders to communicate a vision, energize the ranks, and show the path. It is unfortunate these qualities are not there.
- Upper management made foolish and bad decisions in the past, and they keep strong hold to protect their posts. You see it with those who have been at this company for 20+ years.
- Accountability is on paper, and it is rarely practiced in IT. Budgets are intentionally bloated, and the waste is very high. It is very surprising how upper management keeps getting away with it. Bigger the budget, more secure the position.
- Organization is managed more like a family owned small business, complete with favoritism, nepotism, and no apparent focus on ROI and growth
- Too many long term managers who have never worked anywhere else, and they bring no substance. New senior talent generally lasts less than two years either quitting out of frustration or being terminated for addressing the status quo. I have seen few courageous senior talents challenging the waste and the status quo, they gave hope to the rest of us, they brought fresh thinking to this dying organization. Unfortunately, these out of box thinkers didn't last. They are gone and took hope with them.
- There are more than the normal share of people who are downright nasty. People that have been at the company for a long time feel entitled to do what they want and they dont want to be questioned.
- Politics are incredibly high considering the size of the company
- Micro management is highly used as a tactic to protect the interest of those long term managers
- Siloed and combative organization with little to no collaborative spirit. No incentive to work towards common goals and financial success - every group for themselves. Often you hear people in the elevator referring to dog-eat-dog environment.

Advice to Senior Management- bring fresh talent and clean house
- bring leaders who have vision and managers who can actually manage
- develop a culture of meritocracy - streamline the many long term senior managers who have only worked at Scholastic for 20 plus years

An intense work environment, but I survived!

Producer (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Scholastic full-time for more than a year

ProsWe made great products for students and teachers. Co-workers were smart and friendly. Learning curve was intense, but I learned a lot.

ConsEmployees weren't empowered by management to do their jobs. Management dictated all decision making, but where constantly changing their minds. Unhealthy management style. Expectation to work very long hours

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust that the brillant people you hired can do their jobs and make decisions.

Invaluable industry knowledge with limited advancement opportunities.

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Saint Charles, IL

I have been working at Scholastic full-time for more than a year

ProsScholastic offers the absolute best in classroom core curriculum, supplements, collections and paperback titles. They are progressive in offering new technology for students and teachers and will remain a trusted, well known name in the industry to educators and administrators worldwide!

Decent working hours. Very competitive, affordable benefits. Awesome PTO, sick and vacation benefits!

ConsCapped commission as an ISR, no matter how high your monthly and annual goals are exceeded. Sales reps are HEAVILY micro-managed. Lack of respect and nepotism is shown throughout the office by most management and too much time and energy is focused on unimportant issues that will never improve the organization of the office overall.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoosen up and trust the knowledge and ability of your sales team. Practice what you preach and show more mutual respect from one adult to another... your talented sales staff are not children. Many of them have grandchildren and should never be belittled or talked down to as I've often seen.

Great Company to Work For

Library Publishing Senior Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Scholastic full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat pay, wonderful training. They take good care of their employees. What I really liked about the company was that they took training seriously. I was flown to Danbury, Connecticut on several occasions and even attended a week long seminar in Palm Springs, California. They were a very supportive company.

ConsIn my case, the job wasn't very secure. Corporate downsizing. The difficult thing for me was due to timing. I only worked there for a year when they decided to replace my position with the call center and online ordering. They did compensate me well, but it was a devastating blow to be laid off so quickly, especially after leaving a different career to work with them.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to do a better job of working to keep your employees.

Worked for Scholastic? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Scholastic reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Scholastic CEO Dick Robinson. All 167 reviews posted anonymously by Scholastic employees.