Scholastic

Scholastic Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Scholastic Chairman, President, and CEO Dick Robinson

Dick Robinson

Pros:
  • "Great understanding of work life balance"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Great office location in SoHo NYC"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "Communication from upper management was disorganized and infrequent"
    in 18 reviews
  • "The heavily siloed departments and nepotistic senior management are hurting internal communications"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Company to Work For

Library Publishing Senior Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Scholastic full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat pay, wonderful training. They take good care of their employees. What I really liked about the company was that they took training seriously. I was flown to Danbury, Connecticut on several occasions and even attended a week long seminar in Palm Springs, California. They were a very supportive company.

ConsIn my case, the job wasn't very secure. Corporate downsizing. The difficult thing for me was due to timing. I only worked there for a year when they decided to replace my position with the call center and online ordering. They did compensate me well, but it was a devastating blow to be laid off so quickly, especially after leaving a different career to work with them.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to do a better job of working to keep your employees.

Audio Books

Lackie (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Scholastic part-time

ProsThe people here seem to be a professional bunch, and exhibit a lot of talent.
Long hours, but the people I worked with seemed to like what they were doing.

ConsIt is a corporation so be prepared to deal with corporate politics.

No different from any other corporate environ I have experienced, just something to keep in mind.

Perhaps work could be more effectively delegated to ease hours at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is not my place to advise management, is it?

Great mission, very poor management

I have been working at Scholastic full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMost famous children's publishing & media company. Great mission. Friendly

ConsThis is the company for someone who can talk, not for someone who can actually do stuff. Looking smart is much more important than being smart here. No actual appreciation for creative and hard work. You will get a just simple lip service if you are lucky. Don't expect any over time or bonus or promotion at all. While they spend huge amount of money due to poor upper management system and decision, they don't want to spend any money for their employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease take a look what you have closely, there are many talented people. please treat them right instead of bringing random people from outside and let them go over and over again. So many good people are planning to leave.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

5+ yrs as a consultant and 3 yrs as full time employee.

I have been working at Scholastic full-time for more than 3 years

ProsScholastic has a nice building in Soho, and a friendly group of people to work with. Progressive technically.

ConsUpper management suffers from severe cronisim, and little to no chance for advancement within. Frequent upper management turnover that leads to trickle down turnover. Most management decisions are strictly $$ based, with little attention to the people that actually know and do the work, leading to very poor upper management decision making. Siloed department management pushed to succeed at all costs, leading to over staffing and severe over budget conditions. Have recently turned to significant offshore consulting to reduce costs and still succeed. Very poor communications in general across the company. Turning over the company's core competencies and expertise to virtualize everything does just that,

Advice to Senior ManagementInnovate, listen, communicate. Change away from the family oriented attitude is a definite turn away from what made Scholastic a success. New upper management doesn't mean better. Turning over the company's core competencies and expertise to virtualize everything will ultimately cause the company to lose control of it's business, with no recourse.

Good work/life balance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Scholastic as an intern

ProsThere is a good work/life balance. Management trusts its employees

ConsThe environment is a little low-energy

Fast, foolish, and desperate technology decisions

Systems Administrator (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Scholastic full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you are new and young technology person and hired for low pay it's a good place to learn. I recommend to hang around for about 2 years though. Head out and work for a more mature IT company to learn how things should be done.

ConsThey have problems keeping their most experienced and knowledgeable employees. Once they are gone each department starts to struggle. Some are laid off for no reason and others just leave because they are unhappy.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep and grow your most qualified and experienced employees. They provide security, confidence, and organization, to everyone they lead. Stay with proven technology platforms and software. Every decision shouldn't be based on cost. Management needs to consider overall quality and stability first. Keep your best senior managers on staff because you are causing the least mature employees to run wild. It's kind of like a "Lord of the Flies" work environment rather than "Lord of the Rings".
Management needs to be careful when changing direction in infrastructure. Do not discard your current platforms while developing new environments. Invest in stability rather than investing to save money. Try not to become to innovative to fast and blame others for your foolish mistakes. New technology does not work for all organizations. Continue to stabilize and support your current and proven money making environments. Also do not quickly discard each environment hoping something new will work better. I've never seen such a profitable company that made so many wasteful mistakes in the less than two years I was there.

Great if you are a huge fan of the Peter Principle

Vice President (Former Employee)

I worked at Scholastic full-time for more than 8 years

Prosif you have kids, you can leave early every day knowing the single people will have to do your work for you. work life balance is definitely skewed to the life side for some people, with the other people expected to pick up the slack.

ConsRaises, bonuses, and promotions are not merit or performance based. who you know is more important than what you know

Advice to Senior Managementget rid of the non-performers who are entrenched in jobs and contribute nothing

Red tape, hard to advance, very top heavy

Contract Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Scholastic full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLaxed work environment, discounts, work/life balance.

ConsTop heavy, flip flop decisions

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds a whole set of officers

Wonderful

Character/Prop Designer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Scholastic as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsI worked directly with the Deborah Forte, the Executive VP of Scholastic. You would think that might be intimidating and that she might be maybe a bit aloof. But she wasn't. She was encouraging, enthusiastic, and joy to work with. This was one of my favorite jobs in my career in animation.

ConsWe were on long-term contracts so we were considered freelance and so didn't have insurance for most of the time on the show. But even so, they were so great that they ultimately did work out an option where we could buy in to a benefits plan. So I guess even my con ended up being a pro.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease produce more shows in New York so i can work for you again!

Company is crashing and burning

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Scholastic full-time for more than 5 years

ProsKnowledgable workforce that continues to produce great books like The Hunger Games

ConsDespite Scholastic's attempts to appear digital-friendly, the company is not adapting well and is behind the industry in many respects. The heavily siloed departments and nepotistic senior management are hurting internal communications. Some divisions have a culture of fear, as opposed to creativity and innovation. You can tell the company is run by dinosaurs when you walk through the building--ancient technology, stacks of dust-covered papers and books, and boxes of office supplies nobody knows what to do with. The "most trusted name in learning" is actually about revenue, revenue, REVENUE, and even that they're not doing well. These be dark days for Clifford...

Advice to Senior ManagementDo everybody a favor and retire.

Worked for Scholastic? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Scholastic reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Scholastic CEO Dick Robinson. All 168 reviews posted anonymously by Scholastic employees.