Scholastic

Updated December 19, 2014
3.1

Scholastic Chairman, President, and CEO Dick Robinson
Dick Robinson

Pros
  • The culture was very family friendly and flexible, making for a good work-life balance (in 34 reviews)

• Great office location in SoHo NYC (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • HR is untrusting as there seems to be personal relationships built with upper management (in 21 reviews)

• Senior Management consistently degraded me and others (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Book Fairs

I have been working at Scholastic

Pros

Positive work environment and they try to hire within

Cons

Physically demanding warehouse job. Lots of heavy lifting, bending walking etc.

More training

Supervising Editor

I have been working at Scholastic

Pros

Company values and vision, discounts on books

Cons

work-life balance, unrealistic deadlines, not enough time for planning

improve work life balance for employees

A good place to start your career but once you get bored, it's time to go

I worked at Scholastic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

In general the majority of people who work at Scholastic really care about the company credo and want to contribute in positive ways. Scholastic is a good place to learn the ropes. The roof cafeteria was a nice perk in the summer.

Cons

Upper management is disorganized leading to low morale. There are a few rotten eggs (with huge egos and unrealistic demands) who definitely spoiled the bunch. Staff in entry level positions should stay for only 2-3 years if there is no clear path to career growth/promotion.

More transparency for your employees. Share more information about the company's long term goals. Open up discussion, talk to staff to learn about how to improve morale (or give them an avenue to contribute ideas anonymously), encourage team building.

Highly Degrading Culture

I worked at Scholastic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Scholastic is filled with intelligent people who have broad and varied interests. Most team members are passionate about the work that they do, and you will find that most folks are willing and ready to engage in meaningful conversation about education, literacy, politics, and beyond.

Cons

Lack of professionalism. No topic (or comment) is off limits. Scholastic Education is particularly horrific. Senior Management consistently degraded me and others. Your gender, ethnicity, class, marital status, home life, sexual orientation, age, appearance, etc. are all fair game. I probably should have gone to HR several times to report the things I was hearing/experiencing, but the culture of fear kept me from doing so.

Rein in your unprofessional commentary. Lead by example, not by fear and/or posturing.

Inefficient product development and abusive environment

I worked at Scholastic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Worked with creative colleagues and industry leaders.

Cons

Never was given time to work on developing product. Needed to spend majority of time preparing a polished, 3-hour presentation to management every week describing what we wanted to do. Ideas never good enough. Could not tell management ideas ahead of time to see if they thought they were worth exploring. Always had to provide very detailed, time-consuming presentations, only to have them thrown out. No input given about what was liked (if anything) or direction to try. Verbally abusive environment.

At one company-wide meeting, top educators and educational leaders were INVITED to attend to participate on a panel to help educate employees on trends and issues in education. The CEO commented that for about $100 a student, these educators could be providing their students the company's great products. One of the panelists commented that the school's cost for the technology product required the purchase of computers, people to maintain the computers, different scheduling which would require more teachers, etc., so the cost was more than $100 per student. The CEO and President of Education (who popped out of the audience and walked to the stage) proceeded to verbally attack members of the invited panel about their comments!! I never saw anything like it. And then some members of the audience started cheering the CEO and President on. I have never been more embarrassed to be a part of an organization in my entire life.

I have never have worked in such an unprofessional, stressful environment.

There is no excuse for the verbal abuse or unprofessional atmosphere, particularly by management. Do not tolerate this behavior. Replace top managers to retain talented team members, rather than fostering a hostile, negative office environment.

In need of a MAJOR overhaul

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Scholastic full-time

Pros

The work/ life balance is great. I've never thought that I was chained to my desk or some project was so important that I couldn't leave at a reasonable hour. The culture is alright. While there aren't any programs where employees really get to interact inter-departmentally, there are some great people here.

The gym and health center in the basement are also nice perks that most companies don't retain these days.

Cons

The upper management and some of the middle management is pretty awful. They are ushering the company in to the digital age when most of them have no concept of how to even use digital advancements much less successfully move an entire company in to a digital marketplace. The amount of money that they spend on creating new programs and systems that end up being scrapped completely is absurd. Millions and millions of dollars over the years, down the drain.

The work force isn't properly utilized. They attract young, smart individuals to work here and then limit their potential causing most to leave for opportunities where they are allowed to be more creative and use their intelligence to advance their career. I've heard many times over the years that the only way you get more money and a better title out of Scholastic is to leave and then come back. You aren't going to find it in the yearly 2% "merit" increases. Scholastic is definitely a place for people who like to settle and have little interest in moving up or earning more money (unless you happen to be the only one left that they can promote).

Restructure the top of the pile. Scholastic will become an irrelevant force in the publishing world if you continue to think that dinosaurs of the company can manage a digital reality and lead us in to whatever the new publishing landscape holds.

Seem only to hire per diem consultants and expect you to put in time for free.

Current Employee - Regional Consultant
    Current Employee - Regional Consultant

I have been working at Scholastic as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Working per diem (contract work) is nice because there's not a hassle when you need time off.
    Immediate managers are nice as are co-workers.

Cons

Got plenty of work the first year. This year, hardly any.
    The pay is a flat daily rate, lower than other similar companies. They expect long hours and lots of office time for which they do not pay.
    I do not feel as if I am part of the company and feel little loyalty. Don't like the feeling.
    Would not want to be full time because management is very clear that their attitude toward full timers is, "they own you."

Change your pay structure for per diem. The pay is low compared to other companies in this field.
    Stop expecting your per diem folks to put in hours for free. Find a way to make them feel wanted and needed.

Scholastic is a great company. However, the St. Charles off is more of telemarketing call center.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Saint Charles, IL
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Saint Charles, IL

I worked at Scholastic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent salary, wonder coworkers, contest every month.

Cons

They are more concerned with the number of dials you made then the quality of phone call. They are very strict about leaving your desk. The days are long and boring because all you do is make outgoing phone calls. They constantly monitor your calls. You are not even allowed to talk to your coworkers.

Give your salespeople some control over their customers. People (especially teachers) prefer to email. They do not like the telemarketing techniques that Scholastic utilizes.

Great company, Terrible Management

I worked at Scholastic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pro's was that in my division there was no micro Management whatsoever. If i left at 2pm in the afternoon no one would ever know.

Cons

The business for the Teachers and Parents division had no clue about what they were doing. They were rude, harsh with others and made very bad decisions. When something went wrong they would pass blame on everyone around them.

Find people that are forward thinkers and use people for their expertise. Even though you might be someones boss or have a higher title then them doesn't mean you know more. Everyone can learn form everyone.

Money hungry company. Top management does not care about you. Will act like they do.

Former Employee - Forklift Operator in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Forklift Operator in Arlington, TX

I worked at Scholastic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Laid back work wasn't always push and hustle. Free lunches sometimes. Work hours are good. Off on weekends. Pay was not to bad. Once you get to know people work place seems like your 2nd family. Good for a 2nd job with part time opportunities. Paid holidays even if seasonal. work breaks are good. Truck drivers know almost everything, get to talk to them and know them, they know all the dirty dirty.

Cons

Gossip! you will hear it at least twice a week. 1st shift gets favored over 2nd all the time it sucks. If you get hired on as a seasonal make friends with your superiors fast. They will give you a voice to upper management if they like you.. Worked there for a year and a half and finally moved up to a forklift operator, I got lucky.. Later on got term because of a forklift accident.. Funny thing is they made me do a drug test anyway and fired me 2 days later not even considering me as a person that has a life and bills to pay, they will throw you back on the street like they found you.. JOBLESS. So don't get in any accidents lol. Management from all over the country will come at least twice a month to this scholastic since there is something always wrong going on & because it is the 3rd biggest branch. Supervisors come and go. Management will walk all over you and make you feel like a nobody, if you let them. Don't get me wrong, the supervisors are cool but its the upper management that breaths on their neck and then take it out on you. Unless you're full time don't always expect 40 hours, there will be some weeks you wont work like spring break. Not very much advancement in company. Very dusty place. When its hot its HOT and when its cold is COLD. They don't like spending money if somethings broken don't expect it to be fixed in a reasonable time. BIC's have to be brought in all the time from different branches to remind us we're doing things wrong and how to improve them.

Employees should be trained more properly, especially the operators. Was told one time by supervisors we were doing things wrong for a years with the RF scanners when picking product off on cherry pickers. Multi-million dollar company and you're very cheap, not just in the pay category *You raised the minimum wage recently and everyone really appreciated it* all your employees talk about it every other day. You see things on paper and expect to to be done like it on paper. Your employees are not robots. Next time you want to complain about something that is not done like it is on paper * especially the labored part of the job, like unloading and loading book cases, and stacking the boxes to be sent to the line* you should try it for yourself. Your spreadsheets and "facts" don't mean crap to anybody while you're sitting down behind a computer in the A/C. Just being honest Management has to also realize that if it works for one branch its not always gonna work for another, considering that this is the 3rd biggest in the country.