Scholastic

Scholastic Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Scholastic Chairman, President, and CEO Dick Robinson

Dick Robinson

Pros:
  • "Great understanding of work life balance"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Great office location in SoHo NYC"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "Communication from upper management was disorganized and infrequent"
    in 18 reviews
  • "The heavily siloed departments and nepotistic senior management are hurting internal communications"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Culture

Manager Finance (Former Employee)

I worked at Scholastic full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat place to work, high value on work/life balance

Conscareer opportunities are somewhat limited

Good overall work environment.

Anonymous (Current Employee)

I have been working at Scholastic

ProsCoworkers are generally easygoing, friendly for the most part. Respect for family and hours when needed, adaptable with time so long as workload is achieved.

ConsIssues with respect to databases, technologies are subpar, in terms of assessing operations needs. Creates additional work and at times communicative issues among teams. Many temps staffed that are not hired on for long term, created instability in teams and higher turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementLong term planning of resources is key, needs should be assessed for beyond the short term.

Opportunities squandered

Editor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Scholastic full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMany dedicated smart extremely nice people work at the company, and that is its greatest strength.

ConsSome nasty directors and a lack of true diversity throughout. Educating children is a tough job. It can be tempting to get distracted with fun projects that kids will enjoy and learn from, but a more sustained effort is needed to fully understand how content can be conveyed in a systematic way from grade to grade, helping students build knowledge and vocabulary and preparing them for more challenging work ahead.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet everyone on the same page

Human Resources

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Scholastic as an intern

ProsGreat managers! Very helpful and friendly employees.

Consbad cell phone reception in building

Some groups are great to work in, others are very stressful

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Scholastic full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOverall, a good company that has good intentions. Working in the NY office is nice with the open stairway and cafeteria. Really great people and many who have been there 10, 15, 20 years which says a lot about a company.

ConsIn some departments the management is a bit crazy. Lots of last-minute change in direction and desperate attempts to do something different just to prove to the shareholders that they are trying something new. Pay is low as is typical in the publishing industry.

Too many "temporary" employees, not enough respect for workers.

I have been working at Scholastic as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsBest things about working here are the people and feeling like you're making a difference in education and the lives of kids. Promoting reading and being a part of a company that has a long history of good work within schools makes up for some, but not all, of the downsides. Mostly relaxed daily atmosphere, good people, and room to learn a lot in any given position.

ConsHowever, the reason you can learn a lot is that there have been so many cut-backs that there is more work to be done than people to do it, so you get extra tasks on top of the work you signed on for. Staff positions are more and more rare, replaced with 'indefinite temporary' positions. There is a lack of respect for personnel, evidenced by not only that trend but the bad morale overall.

Advice to Senior ManagementShowing more respect for workforce will strengthen company for the long run, without that the company risks more decline.

Good company, not great for employee growth

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Scholastic full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood products, smart people. People work hard and are committed to their jobs. In general, the people at Scholastic are a pleasure to work with. My supervisors have been reasonable when it comes to PTO, personal issues, and complaints, but don't always have the tools to make the changes necessary.

ConsSeems to be very focused on the immediate fires and short-sided when in comes to long-term strategy, especially with employee growth and retention.

Good company to gain experience but little room for growth

I worked at Scholastic full-time

ProsThis is a steady company to work for since it's the biggest children's publisher. Good company to work for to gain experience, good hours as only expected to work 9am to 5pm, good work/life balance if you have a family, big mantra on advancing women's career, and has it's own cafe to buy and eat lunch.

ConsVery limited advancement in terms of promotion or salary increase. Sometimes favoritism is very evident.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be more fair to all employees, better pay for more work, and need to be more aggressive if growing the company is a concern.

Micro-management - perfected!

I worked at Scholastic full-time for more than 3 years

ProsInteresting books and products that benefit students. "Idea" of company is beloved by anyone who ever ordered through the bookclubs as a kid.

ConsManagement is reacting to upheaval in education field. No pro-active leadership.

Great place with some major flaws

I have been working at Scholastic

ProsGood mission and wonderful products, customer-focused

ConsPoor management, lack of direction, inflated senior management, mix of staff that is intelligent/ hardworking and airheads

Worked for Scholastic? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Scholastic reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Scholastic CEO Dick Robinson. All 168 reviews posted anonymously by Scholastic employees.