Scholastic

Scholastic Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Scholastic Chairman, President, and CEO Dick Robinson

Dick Robinson

Pros
  • Not too 'workaholic' of an atmosphere, good work life balance(in 28 reviews)

• Great office location in SoHo NYC(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management comes from an education background so many business practices can be overlooked(in 19 reviews)

• The heavily siloed departments and nepotistic senior management are hurting internal communications(in 10 reviews)

Scholastic St. Charles IL

ProsLove working at the St.Charles Scholastic office. Great leadership.

ConsWould love a higher salary.

Project Manager

ProsGreat people, fun assignments, great work life balance

ConsRed tape, rigid structure, Oversight

Great Culture

Manager Finance (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat place to work, high value on work/life balance

Conscareer opportunities are somewhat limited

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Human Resources

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat managers! Very helpful and friendly employees.

Consbad cell phone reception in building

Great place to be an intern!

Editorial Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsReally friendly team, attentive manager, super cool location in SoHo, interesting work.

ConsPeople kept to themselves, not much opportunity for advancement (though this is probably characteristic of most publishing firms).

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage younger staff -- as a childrens' book publisher, they're an important perspective.

Great Company to Work For

Library Publishing Senior Executive (Current Employee)

ProsGreat pay, wonderful training. They take good care of their employees. What I really liked about the company was that they took training seriously. I was flown to Danbury, Connecticut on several occasions and even attended a week long seminar in Palm Springs, California. They were a very supportive company.

ConsIn my case, the job wasn't very secure. Corporate downsizing. The difficult thing for me was due to timing. I only worked there for a year when they decided to replace my position with the call center and online ordering. They did compensate me well, but it was a devastating blow to be laid off so quickly, especially after leaving a different career to work with them.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to do a better job of working to keep your employees.

Wonderful

Character/Prop Designer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsI worked directly with the Deborah Forte, the Executive VP of Scholastic. You would think that might be intimidating and that she might be maybe a bit aloof. But she wasn't. She was encouraging, enthusiastic, and joy to work with. This was one of my favorite jobs in my career in animation.

ConsWe were on long-term contracts so we were considered freelance and so didn't have insurance for most of the time on the show. But even so, they were so great that they ultimately did work out an option where we could buy in to a benefits plan. So I guess even my con ended up being a pro.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease produce more shows in New York so i can work for you again!

Scholastic

Data Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsThey have different branches that have many different avenues for you to pursue.

ConsCertain areas are going through economic difficulties.

Advice to Senior ManagementEven if a person works as a contract worker, find open positions for them to move to when they have been with you for a long period of time.

is a great company for fresher

Purchasing (Current Employee) Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

Prosall staff are funny and can improve the language level too.

Consno OT claim for my department

Fantastic place to work, truly.

ProsThe environment is incredible - work-life balance, creativity, open environment for ideas, friendly, etc. It's worth considering a job here over other mainstream places because they really respect their employees and the hours are great. The rooftop is a nice touch too.

ConsThere really is not a con I can think of.

Worked for Scholastic? Contribute to the Community!