Scholastic Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. Sales Manager

I worked at Scholastic full-time

Pros

Nice work environment, solid managers, supportive company culture.

Cons

This is specific to my particular experience: too many changes in management in too little time. Department was in transition constantly. I do think that this is now fixed.

Managing Editor

I worked at Scholastic full-time

Pros

Creative and often very committed people, laid back environment. When the going gets rough, there can be heartfelt comradery at work with your closest peers. The company wants to engage with kids, and teachers, parents, and children know it: and that's a wonderful thing.

Cons

A bit chaotic, and sometimes more than a bit. Need better financial, personnel controls. Far too much reliance on temps (same people for years and years), contractors. Here's an idea: how about an employee handbook? Need for better integration and planning across units. Need better IT, HR, and data services. Less cliquishness, more professional collaboration. More focus on the mission and improve quality of book products (cut down on junk sold through Clubs & Fairs).

Advice to Management

Serious focus on management, and collaboration over cliques. Decision-making structures often create bottlenecks and leave highly competent and talented staff powerless to do their jobs. Implement more staff training, better budgeting, financial, and personnel controls. Stop using temp agencies and contractors for everything - it's a real demoralizer and leads to inconsistent quality. Respect experience and training, don't just worship the next shiny young person to walk through the door.

3. Implementation Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Scholastic full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company provides quality products and programs for children and teachers.

Cons

Not often a clear path to moving up in job positions.

Not a place to be if you want career progress

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Scholastic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a laid back environment, and coworkers are friendly/casual. Hours are flexible as long as the work gets done.

Cons

The actual work is tedious on a low level, and I have asked multiple times for more challenging tasks/a raise (the pay is also pitiful- though in keeping with the industry - after four years) and have been rebuffed every time. I have been told multiple times that the resources are not available to train people properly, promote, or give raises.

Advice to Management

Do more to cultivate decent employees - it isn't reasonable to expect the lowest level employees to be happy for years doing the same thing.

6. Excellent company to work for good benefits and wonderful advancement opertunities

Current Employee - Coordinator in Jefferson City, MO
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Jefferson City, MO

I have been working at Scholastic (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefit packages and room for advancement the people at scholastic are wonderful to work for and the open door management style make any issue easy to resolve.

Cons

There is a considerable amount of overtime based on business needs, however the company tries to accommodate work and home life balance.

Senior Designer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Scholastic full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Small department where you can learn an immense amount of knowledge. -Amazing maternity leave

Cons

-They do not invest in their employees -They do not invest in technology and moving forward -They won't spend money to hire senior people. Instead, they hire young people without managerial experience which results in micromanaging, no mentoring, etc.

Advice to Management

Please revamp your top posts. Those in the position are out of touch with parents today. Invest in your employees' development and in technology.

8. Warehouse Associate

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Olympia, WA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Olympia, WA

I worked at Scholastic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very pleasant people to work with. Was given bonuses during Thanksgiving and Christmas along with a Turkey. When we had an ice storm and we were not able to come in because the warehouse was out of Power we were still paid. My Supervisor was Dan at the time. He was very nice and knew what he was doing.

Cons

A little disorganized but things were always done in a timely manner.

New York office

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Scholastic (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice people day to day. Good location.

Cons

Questionable management decisions and reshuffling.

Financial analyst

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Scholastic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work you learn is very interesting. It's cool to find out how a book publisher pays out writers. They have a nice cafeteria and have a nice Christmas party

Cons

The management was bad, they weren't understanding and always expect you to be at work (even if it's a snow storm). The worst part was that you do have the capability to work from home but they just want to see you there. Very unproductive. They have a good database (essbase) but are very anti advance excel formulas. They are still using cell 1+ cell 2, instead of a sum

Advice to Management

Have better management skills, allow people to grow and create opportunities for growth

Web Designer

Former Employee - Web Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Web Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Scholastic (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some very nice people. Nice to work for kids product.

Cons

Senior management plays unfair games.

RSS Feed </> Embed