School Board of Alachua County

Updated November 18, 2014
Updated November 18, 2014
2.8

Daniel Boyd

I'm a very worried about the school's with low income children because they seem to be heading for disaster.

Former Employee - Teacher in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Teacher in Gainesville, FL

I worked at School Board of Alachua County full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Dedicated staff, great hours, good resources. There tends to be a pretty good network of support when needed for new teachers. Dependent upon which school, the facilities are clean and up to date for the most part.

Cons

There is not enough accountability on the students end for their actions. Students are able to get away with almost whatever they want because of certain rules that are in place. The teacher's have almost no say towards disciplinary actions for events that occur in their own classroom.

I loved helping the students. I really miss the kids but the administration i felt totally let the students down.

Former Employee - Sub Teacher in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Sub Teacher in Gainesville, FL

I worked at School Board of Alachua County part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best part of working there was seeing the children grow from the beginning of the year until the end of the year. Students really want to be held to high standards.

Cons

The fact that the Administration treats the students as if they are babies not learning students.

Start acknowledging that Students are young people who will one day be running this world . Let the students grow as well as learn . Hold them responsible for their actions. I did and those kids love me for it.

Science Teaching is a career

Current Employee - Physical Science Teacher in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Physical Science Teacher in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at School Board of Alachua County full-time

Pros

teaching the kids all kinds of science

Cons

the peripheral computer software teachers are supposed to use, constantly updated, constantly difficult to use.

test software functionality with teachers before dumping it on them

Bad School Board!

I worked at School Board of Alachua County

Pros

There is not any pros in the school board of Alachua County. Students are miserable and teachers have to work harder then they should be.

Cons

The school board sucks. They don't know how to handle students, teachers, or anything school related. The made a useless policy of uniform for no good reason, that won't help the students at all. They cannot relate to students at all, making schools worse. The budget cuts are terrible. They are too lazy to come up with good ideas for money. The students are also blocked from websites that they need to use for school. The school board is too stupid to understand this, and instead should just unblock the computers, but keep record of their internet history. The school board is very disappointing, and should be changed.

Kill yourself you female dogs! Get better people to run the school board.

The government never gives enough to education

Current Employee - High School Teacher in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - High School Teacher in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at School Board of Alachua County full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I love my job and the experience of teaching. It is gratifying to impact the world through children.

Cons

The government keeps cutting funding that we desperately need and I often am trying to do the job of both teacher and parent.

Value education as a base for successful society.

Not the best qualified computer staff in the area.

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst III in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst III in Gainesville, FL

I worked at School Board of Alachua County

Pros

Good benefits, work conditions, vacation, sick leave, casual environment and work.

Cons

Low pay and bad management.

Get better quality employees and management.

Decent place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

I worked at School Board of Alachua County

Pros

Teaching is a creative activity, and Gainesville is a great place to work. A university town, but there's enough going on culturally.

Cons

The pay is not great compared to other places in Florida. It depends on which school hires you, too, and the type of class you teach.

Look at Michelle Rhee's ideas. She is the Washington D.C. Superintendent, and I think her ideas, which include getting rid of tenure while raising salaries, are great.

Very unhappy working there.

Former Employee - Electronic Technician
    Former Employee - Electronic Technician

I worked at School Board of Alachua County

Pros

Excellent time off, outstanding HR department, offer time to study and obtain IT certifications.

Cons

No room for growth, Very redundant work assignments, management does not discuss problems in ways for you to better yourself, Promotes people underqualified, always hiring within instead of giving outside people a chance to bring new ideas to department.

Need to better monitor staff and enforce that ALL IT staff have at least A+ Certification.

School Board of Alachua County Photos