School District of Philadelphia

Be The First To
Add Photos

School District of Philadelphia Superintendent William R. Hite Jr

William R. Hite Jr

Pros:
  • "good benefits, grate co-workers (teachers)"
    in 4 reviews
  • "The only positive reason to working about the School District of Philadelphia is the eternal job security"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "No respect from students, no resources district wide, no support from administration, political nightmares constantly threatening your livelyhood"
    in 4 reviews
  • "No respect by administration for teachers"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I wake up everyday with vim, vigor, and enthusiasm teaching children how to have fun learning to become great adults.

ProsTeaching is all about the children. Each day you are met with smiles and anticipation for what is about to unfold. Sure, there are some serious trying times, but in the end these kids keep calling you "Mom."

ConsPlacement security is probably the most stress related issue in the school district, besides the low pay. One year you are teaching one grade, then suddenly you are assigned another grade the following year. The return on your classroom investment $$$ is lost. You can't dress your 6th grade classroom with Kindergarten paraphernalia. Remember, this investment comes out of your pocket....$250.00 from district doesn't reimburse the whole amount.

Ok job with too many chiefs and not enough indians

ProsDecent, above average salary
    Clean, well-maintained building
    Opportunities for Professional development

ConsMany layoffs on a regular basis
    Many organizational reorgs
    Too many disgruntled, lazy workers who are close to retirement and refuse to work

I loved working with my student as well as their families.

Fanily Field Representative (Former Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsThe company had great benefits, retirement funds as well as Professional Development Programs to improve my skills, for my families.

ConsNot being able to get a student in with special needs to get them ready for kindergarten. (If the center is full. )

Advice to Senior ManagementI am a hard worker, always early and ready for work on time, I am a full time student that does not interfere with my work, as well as raised a family and I make sure I find time for church. I balance my life in order to keep the stress levels down. I think I did a great job in the past twenty plus years.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I have been working in the School District of Philadelphia for the past 5 years.

Educator (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsHaving summers and holidays off is very nice, and something to look forward to. The school day ends a little after 3:00 p.m., which is an advantage if you have your own kids in school.

ConsThe pay compared to suburban school districts is low. The heads of the District are trying to lower pay, which is unfair. Even though you have holidays and summers off, there is constantly work to be finished at home (grading, planning, paperwork, etc.)

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust teachers to do their job, and give them a little autonomy. Teacher review is needed to hold teachers accountable, but it needs to be fair and take into consideration all the influences on a student.

Challenging, but rewarding. Only work here if you love teaching.

Philadelphia, PA

ProsThere are a lot of different opportunities for growth as a teacher or administrator. I pursued several of those opportunities in order to make myself a more well-rounded educator and prepare myself for administration.

ConsLack of job security, unstable administration, parents that are unable to support their children for various reasons, no money for schools. You're up against a lot and it's not looking too good for the near future.

The District has, unfortunately become a rutterless ship in spite of management's best intentions

Director (Former Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsMost of the employees really care about what they do and are their for the right reason. To many of them are, however suffering from burn-out due to the work conditions

ConsThere is a constant change in administration which results in a constant change in direction. As each new administration proclaims its vision for a new path, they expect everyone to disregard existing issues and direct their limited resources to the new issues.

The District's financial problems have created a culture of short-term bandaids that too often are used to cover the problem not fix it. In many ways it is not the administrations fault - the politicians and the press are more interested in immediate results than in systemic changes

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is well known that pressure to perform in the classroom has resulted in investigations as to the integrity of test scores. What is less known is that the metrics placed on the administration has created a culture of stress resulting in a loss of integrity in the reporting results as well.

Cuts in the central office predicated on the desire to not make cuts in the classroom have forced the schools to take on the additional central office activities. These additional activities are passed to the teachers who must use their prep time and classroom time to try to figure out the new requirements. It is resulting in inefficiencies in the system and a loss of "teaching" opportunities.

Disrespectful treatment of employees and lack of financial investment in education of students.

Guifdance Counselor (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsThere are many good, dedicated employees who have a desire to insure student success.
    There are many excellent schools doing a good job under challenging conditions.

ConsLack of financial stability. Each year, especially this year, students, teachers, and staff are fighting to keep the school district afloat. Staff, students, and families can not rely on schools operating adequately each year.
    Schools have been closed to be sold to the highest bidder. Each year more schools are being converted to charter schools. The overall moral is low.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee that all the Philadelphia Public Schools are fully and fairly funded on a long-term basis while showing
    respect to the students, parents, and staff. The school district cannot risk a repeat of the circumstances, i.e.
    massive layoffs, school closings, etc. or more families will move out of the city and those that remain will
    suffer.

Caring teachers, horrible administrators.

Teacher -- Masters +30 (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsEducators who really care about the kids invest time, energy and money to ensure their students learn and get all they need academically.

ConsThe district does not give enough supports for teachers to do their job effectively.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your teachers and get a company to manage your finances more efficiently.

Beware

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMy directors and department were amazing. The technology department tries so hard to do so much with so little. The rest of the district is a mess.

ConsLack of money. Lack of knowledgable leadership. Nepotism abounds.

Falling apart

Secondary Teacher (Former Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsThe students are wonderful and the opportunity to work with them makes it worthwhile. Given the high turnover and high needs, you can take on leadership roles if you have initiative.

ConsA top down administrative culture is changing on paper to be more innovation friendly, but the actual implementation of this is slow going.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for School District of Philadelphia? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at School District of Philadelphia reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for School District of Philadelphia CEO William R. Hite Jr. All 83 reviews posted anonymously by School District of Philadelphia employees.