School District of Philadelphia

Reset
2.0
School District of Philadelphia Superintendent William R. Hite Jr
William R. Hite Jr

Pros
  • Good benefits (healthcare, pension, etc (in 6 reviews)

• Opportunities for Professional development (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No training for non-teacher staff, lack of support from administration, fear around job security, tons of red-tape (in 4 reviews)

• selling off their responsibility for failing schools to charter schools and for-profit companies (in 4 reviews)

1. Teacher

Current Employee - Pennsylvania in Reading, PA
    Current Employee - Pennsylvania in Reading, PA

I have been working at School District of Philadelphia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My co-workers are honestly the best part about my job. Working side by side with them day in and day out is wonderful.

Cons

We receive little to no school supplies. We must buy nearly everything. Some of the children really should not be in public school. There are other options such as alternative schools which I think would be better. Some of the parents are great to work with while others are, well, not so helpful.

Advice to Management

Help and support your teachers more.

2. Work culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

You control day to day operations and management of classroom

Cons

Limited support by management low morale by staff due to unreasonable regulations

Advice to Management

Support staff on day to day have real consequences for behavior problems

3. Police Officer

Former Employee - N/A in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - N/A in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at School District of Philadelphia (More than 10 years)

Pros

The children are the reasons why schools are in business. The youth/young people.

Cons

Administrators, stop micro managing and stop being so quick to write and employee up under discipline policy's!!!1

5. Teacher

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schnecksville, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schnecksville, PA

I worked at School District of Philadelphia (Less than a year)

Pros

-Can be good or bad depending on the school you are at

Cons

-Highly unorganized company -High pressure for high standardized test scores

6. Incredibly challenging urban teaching experience

Former Employee - Teacher in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at School District of Philadelphia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work with students who desperately need you, and some great, dedicated co-workers.

Cons

Corrupt school leaders, zero supplies or support

Advice to Management

Greater oversight of school leaders, flexibility to meet student needs

7. It is what it is.

Current Employee - Visual Art Teacher in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Visual Art Teacher in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at School District of Philadelphia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are paid based on your experience and highest level degree earned which amounts to a pretty decent salary. Also paid summers off.

Cons

Unfortunately the school district is ALWAYS struggling to find ample funding. As a teacher you will end up spending hundreds of dollars of your own money for basic materials. Students at many of the schools are in survival mode which makes teaching very difficult. If you want to do your job well you will spend hours of additional time at work every day and its very easy to become burnt out. The job feels thankless in many ways.

Advice to Management

Stop blaming teachers for all of the problems. Just assume they are doing their best instead of undermining everything they do and trying to take away benefits.

8. It is a very dysfunctional environment and there is always a great deal of anxiety about job security.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Good benefits (healthcare, pension, etc.), nice people to work with.

Cons

No training for non-teacher staff, lack of support from administration, fear around job security, tons of red-tape.

9. Lots of instability, pay is ok.

Current Employee - Grants Compliance Monitor in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Grants Compliance Monitor in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

The pay is better here than the nonprofit I worked at before I came here. I like my co-workers.

Cons

There is constant funding crisis and talk of layoffs. It is very political - who gets promotions, who gets laid off, who knows who, the unions vs non-union, etc. They recently published everyone's salary on the internet, which is not great for morale in the office. I've learned some things from this job, but I never really got the challenge that I wanted and I feel like I am trapped in a system without any power to change things.

Advice to Management

I've talked to my boss about wanting more work (I'm bored!) and she said she would keep me in mind, but hasn't actually given me any more work.

Working in the trenches

Current Employee - Teacher -- Masters +30 in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Teacher -- Masters +30 in Phila, PA

I have been working at School District of Philadelphia full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most students come to learn. We all realize we are in the same budget crunch and try to help each other as much as we can. We confer on issues that affect the school and really try to be a team.

Cons

Parents who have no idea about their child, no follow through on rules, lack of support from administration. Lack of supplies, no copiers, ect.

Advice to Management

Support teachers verbally and appreciate the efforts on the front line. Parents must be made to make appointments to discuss issues with teachers so a meeting can be well prepared for.

The District has, unfortunately become a rutterless ship in spite of management's best intentions

Former Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at School District of Philadelphia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most of the employees really care about what they do and are their for the right reason. To many of them are, however suffering from burn-out due to the work conditions

Cons

There is a constant change in administration which results in a constant change in direction. As each new administration proclaims its vision for a new path, they expect everyone to disregard existing issues and direct their limited resources to the new issues. The District's financial problems have created a culture of short-term bandaids that too often are used to cover the problem not fix it. In many ways it is not the administrations fault - the politicians and the press are more interested in immediate results than in systemic changes

Advice to Management

It is well known that pressure to perform in the classroom has resulted in investigations as to the integrity of test scores. What is less known is that the metrics placed on the administration has created a culture of stress resulting in a loss of integrity in the reporting results as well. Cuts in the central office predicated on the desire to not make cuts in the classroom have forced the schools to take on the additional central office activities. These additional activities are passed to the teachers who must use their prep time and classroom time to try to figure out the new requirements. It is resulting in inefficiencies in the system and a loss of "teaching" opportunities.

RSS Feed </> Embed