School District of Philadelphia

Updated October 14, 2014
2.4

School District of Philadelphia Superintendent William R. Hite Jr
William R. Hite Jr

Pros
  • Good benefits (healthcare, pension, etc (in 6 reviews)

• Opportunities for Professional development (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No training for non-teacher staff, lack of support from administration, fear around job security, tons of red-tape (in 4 reviews)

• selling off their responsibility for failing schools to charter schools and for-profit companies (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Ok job with too many chiefs and not enough indians

I worked at School District of Philadelphia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent, above average salary
    Clean, well-maintained building
    Opportunities for Professional development

Cons

Many layoffs on a regular basis
    Many organizational reorgs
    Too many disgruntled, lazy workers who are close to retirement and refuse to work

I loved working with my student as well as their families.

Former Employee - Fanily Field Representative in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Fanily Field Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at School District of Philadelphia full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company had great benefits, retirement funds as well as Professional Development Programs to improve my skills, for my families.

Cons

Not being able to get a student in with special needs to get them ready for kindergarten. (If the center is full. )

I am a hard worker, always early and ready for work on time, I am a full time student that does not interfere with my work, as well as raised a family and I make sure I find time for church. I balance my life in order to keep the stress levels down. I think I did a great job in the past twenty plus years.

The District has, unfortunately become a rutterless ship in spite of management's best intentions

Former Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at School District of Philadelphia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most of the employees really care about what they do and are their for the right reason. To many of them are, however suffering from burn-out due to the work conditions

Cons

There is a constant change in administration which results in a constant change in direction. As each new administration proclaims its vision for a new path, they expect everyone to disregard existing issues and direct their limited resources to the new issues.

The District's financial problems have created a culture of short-term bandaids that too often are used to cover the problem not fix it. In many ways it is not the administrations fault - the politicians and the press are more interested in immediate results than in systemic changes

It is well known that pressure to perform in the classroom has resulted in investigations as to the integrity of test scores. What is less known is that the metrics placed on the administration has created a culture of stress resulting in a loss of integrity in the reporting results as well.

Cuts in the central office predicated on the desire to not make cuts in the classroom have forced the schools to take on the additional central office activities. These additional activities are passed to the teachers who must use their prep time and classroom time to try to figure out the new requirements. It is resulting in inefficiencies in the system and a loss of "teaching" opportunities.

Disrespectful treatment of employees and lack of financial investment in education of students.

Current Employee - Guifdance Counselor in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Guifdance Counselor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at School District of Philadelphia full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are many good, dedicated employees who have a desire to insure student success.
    There are many excellent schools doing a good job under challenging conditions.

Cons

Lack of financial stability. Each year, especially this year, students, teachers, and staff are fighting to keep the school district afloat. Staff, students, and families can not rely on schools operating adequately each year.
    Schools have been closed to be sold to the highest bidder. Each year more schools are being converted to charter schools. The overall moral is low.

See that all the Philadelphia Public Schools are fully and fairly funded on a long-term basis while showing
    respect to the students, parents, and staff. The school district cannot risk a repeat of the circumstances, i.e.
    massive layoffs, school closings, etc. or more families will move out of the city and those that remain will
    suffer.

Caring teachers, horrible administrators.

Current Employee - Teacher -- Masters +30 in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Teacher -- Masters +30 in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Educators who really care about the kids invest time, energy and money to ensure their students learn and get all they need academically.

Cons

The district does not give enough supports for teachers to do their job effectively.

Listen to your teachers and get a company to manage your finances more efficiently.

I have been working in the School District of Philadelphia for the past 5 years.

Current Employee - Educator in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Educator in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at School District of Philadelphia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Having summers and holidays off is very nice, and something to look forward to. The school day ends a little after 3:00 p.m., which is an advantage if you have your own kids in school.

Cons

The pay compared to suburban school districts is low. The heads of the District are trying to lower pay, which is unfair. Even though you have holidays and summers off, there is constantly work to be finished at home (grading, planning, paperwork, etc.)

Trust teachers to do their job, and give them a little autonomy. Teacher review is needed to hold teachers accountable, but it needs to be fair and take into consideration all the influences on a student.

Challenging, but rewarding. Only work here if you love teaching.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at School District of Philadelphia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of different opportunities for growth as a teacher or administrator. I pursued several of those opportunities in order to make myself a more well-rounded educator and prepare myself for administration.

Cons

Lack of job security, unstable administration, parents that are unable to support their children for various reasons, no money for schools. You're up against a lot and it's not looking too good for the near future.

You are on your own when you work here; large company, not very employee focused.

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at School District of Philadelphia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The salary scale is one of the best in the area. The benefits were good. If you work at a special select school it will be more enjoyable than being at one of the neighborhood schools.

Cons

No real professional development.

Caring about your employees goes a long way toward staff and teacher retention.

Beware

I worked at School District of Philadelphia full-time

Pros

My directors and department were amazing. The technology department tries so hard to do so much with so little. The rest of the district is a mess.

Cons

Lack of money. Lack of knowledgable leadership. Nepotism abounds.

Falling apart

Former Employee - Secondary Teacher in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Secondary Teacher in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at School District of Philadelphia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The students are wonderful and the opportunity to work with them makes it worthwhile. Given the high turnover and high needs, you can take on leadership roles if you have initiative.

Cons

A top down administrative culture is changing on paper to be more innovation friendly, but the actual implementation of this is slow going.

School District of Philadelphia Photos

440 N. Broad Street (Administration Building)

+ Add Photo