School District of Philadelphia

Reset

1. Demoralizing and Blamed by All

Current Employee - Educator
    Current Employee - Educator

I have been working at School District of Philadelphia (More than 10 years)

Pros

Summers off. That's about it. Sometimes actually helping a child or a family without interference. A child's smile. Good medical benefits. PFT Union, at times.

Cons

As a teacher lack of respect from principals, the School Reform Commition (SRC), parents, and the press. Jobs lost to charter schools. Union busting practices. Brow-beating staff. Spending your own money on basic supplies. Little chance for advancement even with proper qualifications. Advancement based on reverse discrimination (officially racial-balance). Stress, not only from doing your position, but from teachers taking the insults from everyone, getting beat up by students ( and not just high schooler's), threats of bodily harm (students AND parents), etc.

Advice to Management

How do higher ups expect to make a teacher feel like what they are doing is worth it year after year whilst criticizing all the sweat and tears put into these schools? Inspiration should come from a need to help the students, not taking away staff contract, benefits, and giving everything away to low performing charter schools.

2. Like Working Under Communism

Former Employee - Teacher in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at School District of Philadelphia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nothing was good about the job. They make you feel like you are really important to them when you get interviewed and all, but you are not.

Cons

Hostile environment, principals harass the teachers (ie: writing the whole staff up about something stupid before Christmas break every year just to show they are in charge), teachers are not supported, teachers go into debt because they have to pay for everything, and teachers end up hating their jobs. It is like working under communism.

Advice to Management

Get all new managment

3. Unfortunate

Former Employee - Math Teacher in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Math Teacher in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at School District of Philadelphia

Pros

Working with kids in need

Cons

Promise Academies, corrupt principals and district administrators, culture of blaming teachers and "passing on" kids, relentless commitment to falsifying PSSA test scores and making teachers scapegoats rather than reporting realistically and being responsible for results....

Advice to Management

Hire teachers that care, then give them the autonomy needed to make decisions best for kids; support teachers with a vision and help them execute this in the best interests of children rather than putting them down constantly. Get rid of Edward Penn - he is the leader responsible for this review.

5. Draining.

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at School District of Philadelphia

Pros

There is some job security.

Cons

Lack or resources, limited staff, very time consuming outside of the workday, extremely stressful.

6. Tough, even by Philly stnadards

Current Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at School District of Philadelphia full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you can become one of the "pets" you can rely on getting new job titles which will give you raises.

Cons

Non-union people keep getting pay and benefits cut. There are less than 1000 of us and they think whittling away our salary will close the $300 million hole!

Advice to Management

Provide support to your staff and work at not pitting employees against each other like you are playing Survivor

7. Incredibly challenging urban teaching experience

Former Employee - Teacher in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at School District of Philadelphia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work with students who desperately need you, and some great, dedicated co-workers.

Cons

Corrupt school leaders, zero supplies or support

Advice to Management

Greater oversight of school leaders, flexibility to meet student needs

8. It is what it is.

Current Employee - Visual Art Teacher in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Visual Art Teacher in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at School District of Philadelphia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are paid based on your experience and highest level degree earned which amounts to a pretty decent salary. Also paid summers off.

Cons

Unfortunately the school district is ALWAYS struggling to find ample funding. As a teacher you will end up spending hundreds of dollars of your own money for basic materials. Students at many of the schools are in survival mode which makes teaching very difficult. If you want to do your job well you will spend hours of additional time at work every day and its very easy to become burnt out. The job feels thankless in many ways.

Advice to Management

Stop blaming teachers for all of the problems. Just assume they are doing their best instead of undermining everything they do and trying to take away benefits.

9. I have been working at School District of Philadelphia

Pros

To help and to support the children with special disabilities.

Cons

Not knowing if you will have a job tomorrow with all cut backs and layoffs that have been going on.

Advice to Management

Please stop laying off staff because our children need us.

10. I taught social studies for 21 years as a staff appointed teacher in high schools in the School District of Philadelphia

Former Employee - Staff Social Studies Teacher in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Staff Social Studies Teacher in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at School District of Philadelphia full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It prepared me in reading, assessment, correction and evaluating the work of high school students.

Cons

Regarding pensions and health care, I retired at 62 and it was my best move. I am now 63.

Advice to Management

My advice to them is to deal fairly with the Philadelphia Federation of Teachers.

11. School district of Philadelphia , School Police review.

Former Employee - School Police in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - School Police in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at School District of Philadelphia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There was so much to learn about providing security and crime prevention services in a school environment. You had to make sure that you monitored everything. Whatever you think might be suspicious , either persons and or a situation must be investigated. The welfare of the students and staff is job one. You also learn how to and when to contact emergency personnel and or police if needed. And you do get a chance to talk to young students about what they might want to do in life. Maybe give them a little advice about what you might know that could help them to make good decisions in there life.

Cons

You really need a lot of patience , and you must be smart in all that you do. Every day there something new to face. Everything from fights in the lunch room , to who might have stole the teacher's cell phone.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is that they really need to have smaller class size. There are just to many students in a class room. I think that would help to make better learners. Teachers have a tough job as it is.

RSS Feed </> Embed