School District of Philadelphia Reviews

Updated March 2, 2015
106 reviews filtered by

1. Not a bad place to work

I have been working at School District of Philadelphia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Co- workers are awesome and offer lots of support

Cons

no money.. lots of supplies need to be purchaced by teachers

2. Lots of instability, pay is ok.

Current Employee - Grants Compliance Monitor in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Grants Compliance Monitor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at School District of Philadelphia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is better here than the nonprofit I worked at before I came here. I like my co-workers.

Cons

There is constant funding crisis and talk of layoffs. It is very political - who gets promotions, who gets laid off, who knows who, the unions vs non-union, etc. They recently published everyone's salary on the internet, which is not great for morale in the office. I've learned some things from this job, but I never really got the challenge that I wanted and I feel like I am trapped in a system without any power to change things.

I've talked to my boss about wanting more work (I'm bored!) and she said she would keep me in mind, but hasn't actually given me any more work.

3. I have been working at School District of Philadelphia

Pros

Teaching is all about the children. Each day you are met with smiles and anticipation for what is about to unfold. Sure, there are some serious trying times, but in the end these kids keep calling you "Mom."

Cons

Placement security is probably the most stress related issue in the school district, besides the low pay. One year you are teaching one grade, then suddenly you are assigned another grade the following year. The return on your classroom investment $$$ is lost. You can't dress your 6th grade classroom with Kindergarten paraphernalia. Remember, this investment comes out of your pocket....$250.00 from district doesn't reimburse the whole amount.

Working in the trenches

Current Employee - Teacher -- Masters +30 in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Teacher -- Masters +30 in Phila, PA

I have been working at School District of Philadelphia full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Most students come to learn. We all realize we are in the same budget crunch and try to help each other as much as we can. We confer on issues that affect the school and really try to be a team.

Cons

Parents who have no idea about their child, no follow through on rules, lack of support from administration. Lack of supplies, no copiers, ect.

Support teachers verbally and appreciate the efforts on the front line. Parents must be made to make appointments to discuss issues with teachers so a meeting can be well prepared for.

6. Ok job with too many chiefs and not enough indians

I worked at School District of Philadelphia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent, above average salary
    Clean, well-maintained building
    Opportunities for Professional development

Cons

Many layoffs on a regular basis
    Many organizational reorgs
    Too many disgruntled, lazy workers who are close to retirement and refuse to work

7. I loved working with my student as well as their families.

Former Employee - Fanily Field Representative in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Fanily Field Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at School District of Philadelphia full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company had great benefits, retirement funds as well as Professional Development Programs to improve my skills, for my families.

Cons

Not being able to get a student in with special needs to get them ready for kindergarten. (If the center is full. )

I am a hard worker, always early and ready for work on time, I am a full time student that does not interfere with my work, as well as raised a family and I make sure I find time for church. I balance my life in order to keep the stress levels down. I think I did a great job in the past twenty plus years.

The District has, unfortunately become a rutterless ship in spite of management's best intentions

Former Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at School District of Philadelphia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most of the employees really care about what they do and are their for the right reason. To many of them are, however suffering from burn-out due to the work conditions

Cons

There is a constant change in administration which results in a constant change in direction. As each new administration proclaims its vision for a new path, they expect everyone to disregard existing issues and direct their limited resources to the new issues.

The District's financial problems have created a culture of short-term bandaids that too often are used to cover the problem not fix it. In many ways it is not the administrations fault - the politicians and the press are more interested in immediate results than in systemic changes

It is well known that pressure to perform in the classroom has resulted in investigations as to the integrity of test scores. What is less known is that the metrics placed on the administration has created a culture of stress resulting in a loss of integrity in the reporting results as well.

Cuts in the central office predicated on the desire to not make cuts in the classroom have forced the schools to take on the additional central office activities. These additional activities are passed to the teachers who must use their prep time and classroom time to try to figure out the new requirements. It is resulting in inefficiencies in the system and a loss of "teaching" opportunities.

I have been working in the School District of Philadelphia for the past 5 years.

Current Employee - Educator in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Educator in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Having summers and holidays off is very nice, and something to look forward to. The school day ends a little after 3:00 p.m., which is an advantage if you have your own kids in school.

Cons

The pay compared to suburban school districts is low. The heads of the District are trying to lower pay, which is unfair. Even though you have holidays and summers off, there is constantly work to be finished at home (grading, planning, paperwork, etc.)

Trust teachers to do their job, and give them a little autonomy. Teacher review is needed to hold teachers accountable, but it needs to be fair and take into consideration all the influences on a student.

Disrespectful treatment of employees and lack of financial investment in education of students.

Current Employee - Guifdance Counselor in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Guifdance Counselor in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

There are many good, dedicated employees who have a desire to insure student success.
    There are many excellent schools doing a good job under challenging conditions.

Cons

Lack of financial stability. Each year, especially this year, students, teachers, and staff are fighting to keep the school district afloat. Staff, students, and families can not rely on schools operating adequately each year.
    Schools have been closed to be sold to the highest bidder. Each year more schools are being converted to charter schools. The overall moral is low.

See that all the Philadelphia Public Schools are fully and fairly funded on a long-term basis while showing
    respect to the students, parents, and staff. The school district cannot risk a repeat of the circumstances, i.e.
    massive layoffs, school closings, etc. or more families will move out of the city and those that remain will
    suffer.

11. Caring teachers, horrible administrators.

Current Employee - Teacher -- Masters +30 in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Teacher -- Masters +30 in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Educators who really care about the kids invest time, energy and money to ensure their students learn and get all they need academically.

Cons

The district does not give enough supports for teachers to do their job effectively.

Listen to your teachers and get a company to manage your finances more efficiently.

School District of Philadelphia Photos

440 N. Broad Street (Administration Building)

+ Add Photo