School District of Philadelphia

Updated September 2, 2014
2.4

School District of Philadelphia Superintendent William R. Hite Jr
William R. Hite Jr

Pros
  • Opportunities for Professional development (in 6 reviews)

• good benefits, grate co-workers (teachers) (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little support from administration, many of whom in any other business would be considered incompetant and racist (in 3 reviews)

• selling off their responsibility for failing schools to charter schools and for-profit companies (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Learned a great deal, but experienced many road-blocks

I have been working at School District of Philadelphia

Pros

Surrounded by many bright, committed, truly passionate people, all focused on student success.

Cons

The constant changes to upper management and their mission, make it difficult to see results of work implemented

Stick to one plan...

Challenging, requires commitment.

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Phila, PA

I worked at School District of Philadelphia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

pay is good compared to other industries

Cons

the hours required to complete each job took all of my free time

Be kind to teachers

I love my students, my administrator, my parents, and my school.

I have been working at School District of Philadelphia

Pros

Supportive coworkers and staff, the ability to work with various different types and levels of learner

Cons

There's a bunch of problems within the system (union, SRC, contract, layoffs, etc.) but I try not to focus on that.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Inept administrators, apathetic parents and no monetary support.

Former Employee - General/Vocal Music Teacher  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - General/Vocal Music Teacher in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at School District of Philadelphia full-time for more than a year

Pros

It pays slightly better right out of college.

Cons

There is no discipline. The kids' behavior is horrible, disruptive and violent. They ruin it for the other good kids who pay attention and behave (and there are quite a few). The principals just waist your time in PD sessions with endless data analysis and edicts from Harrisburg. it's total top-down bureaucracy in its worst form, with all the trappings and corruption that come with it.

don't blame everything on the teachers.

The last train has left the station

Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at School District of Philadelphia full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Tenure after three years is a good protection from administrators who can dismiss you for everything from the way you dress to your political views to just "you rub them the rong way" to we can a another teacher for a lower salary. The tenure rule is backed up by a union that stipulates the hours, days and pay rate of teachers. For example, it is common for charter schools to work their teachers 60 to 70 hours a week. the extra $5 to $20 thousand a year- top of the scale teachers make over $90 thousand- which is essentially combat pay.

Cons

Dangerous work environment, google Diane sawyer's report on Strawberry Mansion. The most alarming trend are the new charter schools opening up everywhere because they only pick the good kids and if the kid fights or curses out a teacher, he's gone that same day. Therefore, they grab all the good kids and the public school increasingly gets all the kids the charter school won't accept.

There's not much they can do cause they're overwelmed as are the teachers with packed classrooms, laid of NTA's , school police etc.

Experience at The School District of Philadelphia

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at School District of Philadelphia part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great training for student teachers and are considering Education for a Masters.
    -Teachers are able to collaborate with one another to develop effective learning strategies.

Cons

-Employees are more proactive in behavior modification and counseling with students from different social economic backgrounds.
    -Special Needs students are integrated in the classroom with regular students, diverting the lesson to be customized for both student groups in one classroom.

Some of the best teachers that needed to be retained from the district were laid off (teachers, nurses, counselors, etc) therefore positive reinforcement is even more challenging on a greater scale. The district should plan to have the whole community involved in routine meetings for extra assistance for teachers in the classroom and during crisis situations.

Consistently in disarray due to the people running it

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at School District of Philadelphia full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working with most students, close knit relationships and support network between most teachers

Cons

Usually little to no support from administrators, many incompetent administrators, I spent two years working in a school where the principal was frequently drinking on the job to the point of intoxication and passing out in his office before 11 AM (I wish I was joking about that), lack of supplies/books, constantly having to supply my own paper to make copies for students, no consequences for students that refuse to behave but teachers are constantly blamed for a student's poor behavior and test scores, too many people working in administration making decisions on how to best educate at-risk students when they have little to no classroom experience, many high paying patronage jobs in 440 while schools are left with next to nothing

overall principal hiring practices, give create an effective code of conduct for students with real consequences so constant behavior problems are moved out of schools they

Horrible experience as a teacher

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at School District of Philadelphia full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pays better than Charter Schools

Cons

Administrators do not provide assistance
    No respect for teachers
    Ineffective practices

Hire administrators who are passionate about effectively running schools

I love the first years that I worked there, but the new principal was inexperience and arrogant.

Former Employee - Supportive Service Assistant
    Former Employee - Supportive Service Assistant

I worked at School District of Philadelphia full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

good benefits, grate co-workers (teachers)

Cons

Administration do not work well with staff.

be more kind to your staff and was not very professional with staff and students

Learning Support Teacher

Former Employee - Learning Support (Special Education) Teacher  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Learning Support (Special Education) Teacher in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at School District of Philadelphia full-time for more than a year

Pros

The district provides quality benefits (health coverage), a high pension, and a greatly reduced summer workloads for teachers, i.e. two months off.

Cons

There is often terrible structure and support for teachers, inappropriate approaches to special education support, and it is difficult to move successfully within the district to different schools.

Ensure the special education process is conducted appropriately and save the district money and improve youth outcomes.

Worked for School District of Philadelphia? Contribute to the Community!