School Improvement Network

Updated September 5, 2014
Updated September 5, 2014
4.0

Chet Linton

Great company - Great people, growing pains, but on their way to a great future

Former Employee - Strategic Partner Advisor
    Former Employee - Strategic Partner Advisor

I worked at School Improvement Network full-time

Pros

I love the people. I cared so much about those I worked with and felt cared about in return. Also, great culture and a visionary CEO. Product is improving tremendously and is being iterated quickly to implement crucial customer feedback that's been knocking on our door for a long time.

Cons

Growing fast but learning, by the school of hard knocks, the challenges of pacing company growth with sales growth. Also, communication between departments and levels of management seems to have struggled a bit in the growth as well.

Great culture outside of the sales department...

I worked at School Improvement Network

Pros

I really enjoyed the culture and they people you get to work with. The product is great, it's always nice to sell a product that you can stand behind and know that it is worth while.

Cons

Working on the sales team was miserable. The management was terrible. I exceeded my sales goals every month and was reprimanded for not making a minimum daily call quota. Calling the way they wanted took away from the actual sale and you became a nuisance to Schools rather then a resource. Client retention was horrible because of that clients felt like a number and once the sale was made they were dropped. I always felt undervalued. Management seemed more like a fraternity then management.

Treat people like they are people.

Challenging and rewarding.

Current Employee - Strategic Partner Advisor
    Current Employee - Strategic Partner Advisor

I have been working at School Improvement Network full-time

Pros

This is a company that in the last couple years has really tried to set the standard in the industry. It has a very cultured environment that when taken to heart has really created a deep rooted desire to succeed. There have been some recent improvements in the hierarchy of the company that has began to push the leadership to a much more valued resource. I've noticed employee feed back its making it above the previous barrier that seemed to be shielding the executive team from truths that were taking place. Watching the growth that its taking place has been encouraging.

Cons

When a small company makes the big company jump there are bound to be growing pains. The communication is the single most impact at this point, there's a feel that departments are working against each other rather than with each other. The internal coaching really needs to be addressed. Internal conversations are often looked at as gossip rather than collaboration, which has led to a stigma that if your caught talking to anyone your labeled as a cancer. This makes it very hard to feel like you can go to upper management with concerns or to ask for help.

Management shouldn't be concerned with employees looking at opportunities that may be out there, but rather how to bring feeling of value and appreciation to everyone that its a part of this company. Allow collisions to take place in the office ask to be part of it not push against it. Help each of the employees by making them hold themselves accountable not putting them into positions where they constantly have to watch their back. Thank you for taking the time to read this review.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company with Growing Pains

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Midvale, UT
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Midvale, UT

I worked at School Improvement Network full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Profit Sharing
    - Great Salary
    - Plenty of Vacation Time
    - BBQ's
    - Team Oriented
    - Strong Management Team
    - Profitable and Growing rapidly

Cons

- Hired some crappy developers and became dependent on there work
    - Put some people in management who were not ready
    - Sales people drive the company
    - Lots of politics

Find a way to loosen the fast growing politics and vet people out who are being considered for management before they are given the position.

Passion to make a difference for k-12 education

Former Employee - Strategic Partner Advisor  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Strategic Partner Advisor in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at School Improvement Network full-time for more than a year

Pros

Many devoted, caring people honestly trying to improve the quality of k-12 education. If you make it into their circle of trust, it can be a great place.

Cons

Trust is greatly effected by the length of your friendship with the Linton family. Sales is the most "churn & burn" culture I've ever seen.

Trust more people. Make decisions based on broader perspectives

A great company with a lot of room to grow and get even better.

I have been working at School Improvement Network full-time for more than a year

Pros

-A great culture with wonderful people to work with
    -Quarterly and yearly bonuses
    -Solid managers
    -An awesome vision for the future
    -Career growth
    -Transparency

This company is truly the best company I have worked for so far. I hope that any company I work for in the future is just as good. I have worked for this company for over two years and so far I feel like I have grown in leaps and bounds both personally and professionally. There is this prevalent attitude in the company of every employee being willing to help and teach each other. Employees also frequently go above and beyond their job requirements to help each other and make the company better. I have found that I can take the initiative and be listened too. My work does not stop when I leave my desk, it has a measurable effect on the company. Every time I have worked or met with a manager, I have found them fun and productive to work with. I feel like the managers we have now are knowledgeable and are willing to continue learning to make the company better.

I think this company has grown faster than expected and this has caused some growing pains. But I feel we have learned so much from our mistakes and we have better processes in place and we are getting better and better. This is a company that I am more than willing to be patient and work through the growing pains and come out on the other side better than ever.

This is the kind of company where if you are the type of person that chooses to be happy and chooses to see frustrations as challenges, you will succeed in leaps and bounds. All of our most successful employees are the ones who have this attitude.

Cons

Just like any other growing company, there have been some problems.

In the past there have been problems with our pay schedule. Frequently, our pay would be 1-2 days late. But they have addressed this issue by restructuring the HR department which in turn allowed for a consistent pay schedule.

I'm not sure how aware the upper management team is aware that the perception is that they are a 'good ol' boys club' because 90% of the upper management is either family or a close family friend. The longer you work here and the more interaction you have with the management, the more you realize that this really isn't true. But I wish they would do something to address that perception.

There are very talented and dedicated employees at School Improvement Network. But there are a lot of employees not being paid what they are worth. Unfortunately in the almost 2.5 years that I have been working here, and even though I have been promoted, I have not been given a pay raise. I feel that they will start losing a lot of their talented workers to other companies who are willing to pay them for their talent.

I'm also disappointed that for a company that provides excellent professional development for educators, they do not provide professional development for their own employees or any type of tuition reimbursement. There are employees who want to make their career here at this company but there are no real mentors, or career education for them.

I believe that management is making the right decisions and guiding the company to where it needs to go.

Anonymous Complaints Deserve Anonymous Consideration

Current Employee - SPA  in  Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - SPA in Midvale, UT

I have been working at School Improvement Network full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Its interesting to read all the reviews on School Improvement Network. To start let me just say to the employees posting on this website that are complaining please have the courage to step forward and to complain directly to the CEO himself. I have worked for SINET for a number of years and have always had the COURAGE to talk directly to the management team. The outcome has NEVER been bad and I can assure you that its a very open straight forward honest leadership team. I have also worked closely with the sales management team and to say that they are not qualified is naive and quite frankly ridiculous. The RVP's all come with extensive sales backgrounds and have ALL been successful. The VP of Sales was the top producing sales rep, manager, and VP of his previous company that did five times the amount of revenue that SINET does right now. The EVP came to SINET having lead sales organizations for several previous companies in the technology space and also built SINET's sales team from four sales people to eight regions and over sixty current sales people. Which means he knows how to do his job. I would love to see the background/resume of the employees complaining about the sales leadership team not being qualified. The CEO is an amazing leader with great vision and cares passionately about the employees of his company. He sacrificed everything and put his home on the line to save this company that he believes in. Now that it is one of the top companies in Utah he deserves to take his family on great vacations and to buy any car of his choice. His company is what pays the bills for over 250 employees.

Cons

It is to bad that I have co-workers that feel that they can post anonymously on a website instead of really looking at the reality of what School Improvement Network is. SINET has been for the past six years one of the fastest growing companies in Utah. It has also won top places to work for the past three years voted on by employees. The product is always getting better which means that the owners (Linton and Moore referenced earlier) are investing in the company. This year alone they have plans to release over fifty new segments, major new update to the current platform, and launch a brand new product line. On top of that bought a new building for their employees and opened a office in the Cebu so that they can invest more resources into building products.

Keep loving us employees because we love you. This is a family company with strong values and passion for what we do. Look at the reviews on this website for what they are. Employees that did not fit into the open, honest, straight forward culture. The sales leadership and the CEO of the company are generous with their time and often take calls late into the evening and very early in the morning. I know that my manager works well above 70 hours a week and so does his boss. I get emails from the Moore's at all hours of the day and on weekends which means to me they are spending many hours a week on work when they could be spending it with their families. Like one of the post said before stay the course and don't let any of your employees that are not part of the great culture change what you are building. This company has had a major impact on my life and my families life for good.

It is an amazing place to work!

I have been working at School Improvement Network

Pros

I love the resources, the employees, and the culture of the workplace. I feel like I am actually making a difference by working here.

Cons

I do not have any complaints about working here.

World Class Sales Organization with Great Leadership... Supportive Culture

I have been working at School Improvement Network

Pros

I have recently joined the sales team in the capacity of SPA managing territory. I am one of the field base reps living in my territory. I have am blown away by the sales support I have received from my RVP and his boss the VP of Sales. I recently attended a three day onsite training with the entire sales staff. In my several years of being in sales I have not attended any sales training quite like this. I got product training, territory planning training, company vision/direction, client implementation process, etc... I have been reviewing my notes and cannot believe the amount of knowledge that I was given to be successful. I feel supported and been given great direction. The EVP grabbed me at training and requested monthly check in meetings to make sure that I am feeling supported and feel apart of the company culture.

Cons

I wish I could feel more connected to the other SPA's I like hearing their success stories.

Stay the course. You will always find employees that do not fit in the culture.

Great company, fun environment and incredible people!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Murray, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Murray, UT

I have been working at School Improvement Network full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you are looking for an environment that is fun, challenging, and exciting - SINET is for you! The people who work here are passionate and care about the cause. The leadership team is caring and truly strives towards employee success. The CEO and VP's are approachable - honest and good people!!!

Cons

Growing though some growing pains. But growth is worth it. Moving away from a small family business towards an international business.

Keep communicating the vision and hold onto the culture that made SINET what it is today.

Worked for School Improvement Network? Contribute to the Community!