School Specialty

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

James R. Henderson

Pros
  • There are some great people to work with(in 5 reviews)

• great co-workers - most of us try to work hard and get our jobs done and done well(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No raises in over 5 years, no 401k match, awful medical, absolutely no transparancy from upper management(in 11 reviews)

• The poor decisions by upper management have driven this company into the ground(in 11 reviews)

Good people, but lack of direction from management

Supervisor (Former Employee) Greenville, WI

ProsThe best thing about working here is to get experience to move on to a better company. The time off is nice, so you can get away. It is a casual enviornment.

ConsNo vacation allowed for 2 months of the year. No raises in many years. HR is the biggest problem at this company. They completely lack consistency. If you get promoted, don't expect anything more than 10%, even if that 10% puts you way below the market average for your new job. The best way to get a raise here is to quit.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet's take a look at the HR team. Biggest joke of the company.

It's "college kid home for summer" money, but that's about it.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Greenville, WI

ProsRelatively laid-back atmosphere, peers to chat with, getting to listen to the music of your choice is always a big plus too. Plenty of hours for someone home for the summer who needs a guaranteed job pretty much.

ConsData entry in general is (obviously) boring and repetitive, summer afternoons were very hot despite being indoors and box fans set up everywhere. Supervisors sometimes see answering our questions or helping us with frustrating customers as a tedious chore rather than doing their job..

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that new/anxious summer employees feel comfortable expressing their concerns and confusion.

Very good place to work if you like quiet fast pace setting

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCEO and board are very nice.

ConsManagers do not listen to staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow and change with times.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stay away

ProsGood, hard working people, just working through a bad situation

ConsDon't waste your time even considering working for this company.

They need to turn the ship around or will sink soon!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosthe people are amazing, and there is a great pool of unrecognized talent.

ConsRevolving door of directors and VPs who make promises then break them and leave, or managers who are so completely unprofessional it's astounding

pay raise is finally promised, but not nearly enough to cover the years and years of furloughs, no raises, no bonuses, and no 401k match

Advice to Senior Managementtake a hard look at how you run your company -- it's not working and it hasn't in years

Mid to low level associates can NOT trust the management - DIRECTORS, VPs, and above

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Nashua, NH

ProsThere is nothing positive I can say about the company any longer - it used to be an extremely superior place to work with great leadership who knew who you were and what your function within the company was. Associates were treated fairly and with respect. We were a well-oiled machine who cared about the company and each other!

ConsMost of the managers left as School Specialty shouldn't be allowed to manage PEOPLE simply because they don't know how. The majority of people managers are self-serving, sneaky, and just down right mean to their associates. It doesn't do any good to report incidents to HR because the first thing they ask is "Did you talk to your Boss?" The "Boss" hates confrontation and decides not to address the issue and so the crappy Manager gets to continue to berate and demoralize their staff as long as the work gets done -- WHO CARES??
    Another issue is a longstanding one of never having a realistic set of goals and work-back schedule to efficiently develop, release, build and ship products on time -- again, it is due to the apathy of the management. They just want it done - not caring very much about the quality of what get released -- "We can always go back and fix it later" became the rule rather than the exception. What a JOKE this company is now. The founder would be so sad to see what's become of this once wonderful place of business.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll management should jump ship and let real business people come in and get the place back to where it once was.

Formerly good company whose mission went down the tubes during hard times

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Nashua, NH

ProsThe lean group of employees who remain after the hardships of the last few years (layoffs, furloughs, benefits suspended) are some of the most hardworking and creative people I've ever worked with. They count on each other for morale.

ConsManagement has floundered for years. One new CEO after another spouts the same warnings and platitudes, but no improvements have happened in years.

Worst "Leadership" I've Ever Witnessed!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Nashua, NH

ProsWe provide quality products and services that truly help students learn.

ConsLeadership of the science division is awful. The GM routinely screams at people for the smallest of things, and is infamous for saying, "I'm right 85% of the time, your job is to take care of the other 15%" What an egomaniac. He tries to manage people via fear and belittlement. It may sound as if I'm being harsh, but I'm actually toning down my comments.

Also, no raises in the past 5-6 years, and it was recently announced that no vacations will be allowed during the months of July and August.

Love my job and what the company does but management was out of touch

Marketing (Former Employee) Greenville, WI

ProsGreat work/life balance. Rewarding in what the company produces and sells

ConsLack of direction. Too many layers of management and the highest levels were out of touch with what was really going on.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your people and what they can do and what they need to succeed. No logic or reason ever given as to why certain things had to be done and in certain ways even when there were clear and better alternatives. Lack of planning required stressing and rushing both people and processes to the point of breaking.

Great job, poorly run

Sales Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsProducts were super. Research and development the best. Regional managers functioned at a high level despite odds and upper mis management

ConsManagement is and has been lost. Failed to recognize recession and spent tons to expand. No more 401k salary ad commission down. Added products that did not match it's own mission.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out. Get pro in there

Worked for School Specialty? Contribute to the Community!