School Specialty

Updated Mar 31, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

James R. Henderson

Pros:
  • "Some of the co workers are great people"
    in 5 reviews
  • "great co-workers - most of us try to work hard and get our jobs done and done well"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "No raises in over 5 years, no 401k match, awful medical, absolutely no transparancy from upper management"
    in 11 reviews
  • "With bad economy and slow education market, took away 401k match and no raises for multiple years"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Lots of changes

I have been working at School Specialty full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe company provides paid time off to volunteer at schools. Flexible with you as much as possible.

ConsThere are a lot of changes happening. You never know what is going to happen next and makes you uncomfortable in planning your future

Disconnected strategy

I worked at School Specialty

Proslow stress environment at operational level

Conscompany went through multiple rounds of furloughs and layoffs to meet financial numbers. Pay scale seemed to be lower than market.

Difficult to work in constant chaos

I have been working at School Specialty full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood people in the trenches and School Specialty provide products and services to schools at a good value. The curriculum pieces in particular really help struggling students.

ConsDifficult to work with fluid leadership, bad pr, bad decisions, and a never ending cut to benefits, salaries, and work force.

the review of the company

I have been working at School Specialty full-time

Proswas ok company to work at

Conswas hot and sweat some times

Advice to Senior Managementnothing to say at the moment

Undergoing Change

Greenville, WI

I worked at School Specialty full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat co-workers. "Feel good" industry in supporting teachers and students. Good work-life balance - with most managers being flexible on needs to adjust working hours.

ConsLack of long-term vision. Slow to identify trends and then execute to get things accomplished. Little ability to advance or grow. With bad economy and slow education market, took away 401k match and no raises for multiple years. Just out of bankruptcy, so perhaps new leadership and cash infusion will benefit the company. Ugly cube farm.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust the knowledge and expertise of your employees beyond the senior leadership team.

Disorganized, lacking innovation, lacking vision

I worked at School Specialty full-time

ProsExcellent Colleagues, acceptable compensation, good benefits

ConsRegardless of how much sacrifice the employees made, it was never enough. There is little to no recognition of a job well done because the company is in such dire straits. Sales people are pushed to sell products that were developed based on little to no input or need from the market. Then, when the products do not reach the levels of sales the company is looking for, they blame sales rather than looking at product development and marketing. Senior management is out of touch with the climate amongst field employees and have a burn/churn mindset.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a good, hard look at product development vs. market demands. What is driving development of products? Is it a top down approach and if so, what research has led to this decision? Recognize that people are weary of being battered--financially through furloughs, lower commissions due to lagging sales, loss of customers due to the bankruptcy, etc. Look for opportunities for positive recognition and work to combat the management through fear climate that exists currently.

Sad and depressing place to work - no morality, no common sense, no caring

I have been working at School Specialty full-time for more than 10 years

Prosnot quite as many as there used to be, for sure. Location is nice and still have a few colleagues left that I can trust.

ConsManagement at the Director Level and above are completely out of touch with their "underlings" who are the folks who actually get the work done. It's been my experience that upper-management leaders are not held responsible for orhave the ability to take true ownership of a project. No raises in 6+ years (really?), no 401k match, terrible health insurance and the ever-present fear of yet another Furlough. Where's the positive I'm supposed to be looking forward to? Still waiting.....

Advice to Senior ManagementShare information with all your team members, no matter how big or small. Don't mico-manage, but don't completely disappear from the show either. And don't demoralize your employees ... they've been through enough already. Show a little empathy.

My view of School Specialty

Warehouse Associate (Former Employee)
Salina, KS

I worked at School Specialty part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat people
Communication
Good work -life balance

ConsNo advancement
Lack of job security
Varying schedules

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the rank and file employees.
More fun things to build morale.

It's very sad to see what is happening to the EPS division of School Specialty.

I have been working at School Specialty full-time

ProsAmazingly high-quality and highly effective academic literacy and intervention programs.

ConsFurloughs, salary not commensurate with education/experience, no 401K match, management lacks a solid understanding of education and school structure, frozen salaries across the board, low morale, poor commission plan.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a good look at your employees, reward the highest performing, and fire the managers who are not equipped to lead. Find out why former high performing employees are not performing as well as in the past years.

Just an awful place

Warehouse Worker (Current Employee)
Mount Joy, PA

I have been working at School Specialty full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSome of the co workers are great people. Can ask for time off. But is unpaid

ConsWhere do I start. First off i have never heard of a company care less about their employees. They work you to death and rely on summer high school and college kids to do all the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust go out of business. It will happen in a few years

Worked for School Specialty? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at School Specialty reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for School Specialty CEO James R. Henderson. All 88 reviews posted anonymously by School Specialty employees.