School Specialty

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

James R. Henderson

Pros
  • There are some great people to work with (in 5 reviews)

• great co-workers - most of us try to work hard and get our jobs done and done well (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No raises in over 5 years, no 401k match, awful medical, absolutely no transparancy from upper management (in 11 reviews)

• The poor decisions by upper management have driven this company into the ground (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Hard times

ProsIt is a great place to work if you have kids and believe in education. The people are great and easy to get along with. You meet a great diversity of people here. Some employees are allowed to work from home depending on the job they hold, this is a great benefit.

ConsIt is difficult working here with the lack of good benefits for many years and the many many furloughs that had to be taken unpaid in the past. Because of this, there has been a lot of turnover and uncertainty. Things are always changing hands and there have been many lay-offs for staff reduction. These staff reductions usually come suddenly and as a surprise. This has caused a fear of losing one's job regardless of performance.

Are things getting better?

Prod Dev (Current Employee) Nashua, NH

ProsThe work is fun, and the almost all of the co-workers are great. I get to leave every day with a sense of accomplishment.

ConsThe health insurance is awful, the pay is extremely low, and upper management has a history of making poor decisions. No furloughs recently, but everyone expects them to happen again soon. Vacations not allowed in the Summer, even if it's not your busy season.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop purchasing smaller failing companies. Work with what have already. A 3% raise after 8-9 years of no pay raises? Thanks.

Great work environment

Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) Fresno, CA

ProsMeeting new people and making new friends. Managers are hands on and show committment to company goals. Office is very well organized and clean, friendly customer service.

ConsLack of hours with no room for growth, Seasonal not very stable financially.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider climate contro to avoid heat related issues

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's not all it used to be

Distribution Supervisor (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent hours. Opportunity for advancement. Middle management in distribution operations work very hard to ensure adequate training & follow-up. Benefits package for full-time employees is generous, and includes several weeks of PTO. Organization attempts to evolve to stay updated.

ConsMany mistakes by executive management over the years have placed the company in financial ruin. Closing various distribution centers has left others impacted with overwhelming workload volume. Limited vacation availability during summer months. Entry-level employees are often strictly seasonal & stay as such for extended periods of time. Very low entry-level wages.

Management is Clueless

OUTSIDE SALES (Former Employee) Manchester, CT

ProsExcellent co-workers and sales support personnel

ConsExtremely unsupportive and incompetent managers at all levels. Their incompetence reminds me of the incompetence found in the federal government

Advice to Senior ManagementTry motivating techniques instead of demoralizing techniques.

Poor experience

Customer Care (Current Employee) Greenville, WI

ProsYou receive paid holidays and PTO and you don't work weekends. I cannot think of anything else good about working at SSI.

Conspoorly ran customer service department. If you like feeling like a worthless person, then this is the job for you

Company is losing it

Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) Greenville, WI

Pros- Meet new people
    - Learn working with a team

Cons- Not consistent hours (Would never hit 40 hours a week)
    - Overtime pay is nearly impossible
    - other warehouses are shutting down

Advice to Senior Management- Treat your employees with more care

E excellent Company to work for.

Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Huntsville, AL

ProsThe people who were on Support Team. The class of Customer Base they provided service to. The Management Team also very helpful with helping with solving problems and getting us we need to do the job and to increase the sales. Great compensation package.

ConsSometimes the programs that we offer Customers were too many and would last only couple of months and they would either get cancel or change. This would confuse the Customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat Company to work. I'm sorry that I had to relocate and lose my position. But, if I had another opportunity to work for your Company, I would not think about I would take any position offer by your Company.

School Specialty

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Greenville, WI

ProsGreat Benefits
    Great PTO Time
    Flexible Work Schedule

ConsNothing that I can think of

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing

Summer Job... Needed Money... Regret Everything!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey pay slightly above minimum wage, I guess that could be a pro.
    Working the summer they give you 5 days off (unpaid).

ConsSupervisors are not friendly and lack the ability to run the warehouse successfully. VERY low morale, as a whole warehouse we fell behind on orders each summer forcing us to work Saturdays. New employees show up every day because of all the summer help quitting. NOT A GOOD WORK ENVIRONMENT!

Advice to Senior ManagementTry some NEW management, boost morale by boosting pay.

Worked for School Specialty? Contribute to the Community!