School Specialty

Updated August 24, 2014
Updated August 24, 2014
2.2

James R. Henderson

Pros
  • There are some great people to work with (in 5 reviews)

• great co-workers - most of us try to work hard and get our jobs done and done well (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No raises in over 5 years, no 401k match, awful medical, absolutely no transparancy from upper management (in 11 reviews)

• The poor decisions by upper management have driven this company into the ground (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

great job, management in flux

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at School Specialty full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

wonderful customers, great peers, fun product line

Cons

management wont work to retain talent, keeps making & implementing strategy without assessment of whether its working. Constant focus on the negative. "why are you $4000 down in district ABC?" when you're $15,000 up in district XYZ. Regional managers micro manage to make themselves look better, constant pressure to get more more more. Promotions come from outside, not internal.

quite paying consulting firms big money - - - ask your existing employees who've been around longer than most of you. We can tell you what needs to be fixed and how you can fix it.

Great people, poor management

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at School Specialty full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good people, day to day work is interesting

Cons

Legacy of poor upper management decisions

Hire some MBAs from outside of WI

Good employer, no growth opportunity

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Greenville, WI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Greenville, WI

I have been working at School Specialty full-time for more than a year

Pros

After training many employees are able to work from home. Overtime is available a few times a year and the work is pretty easy. A lot of PTO. Very supportive supervisors and the training is changed to stay current with technology. 401 K, medical and dental

Cons

The company had financial problems and for several years there were no raises and employees had to take a week unpaid time off. They've stopped the furloughs this year and we did get a 3% raise but because so many people were with the company for a long time it's hard to move up. If you're in customer service you don't get a lot of opportunity to volunteer in other departments. Insurance is expensive and the employer doesn't match contributions.

Really need to improve IT. All the downtime and poor VPN connections are really getting hard to work with.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Are things getting better?

Current Employee - Prod Dev  in  Nashua, NH
    Current Employee - Prod Dev in Nashua, NH

I have been working at School Specialty full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The work is fun, and the almost all of the co-workers are great. I get to leave every day with a sense of accomplishment.

Cons

The health insurance is awful, the pay is extremely low, and upper management has a history of making poor decisions. No furloughs recently, but everyone expects them to happen again soon. Vacations not allowed in the Summer, even if it's not your busy season.

Stop purchasing smaller failing companies. Work with what have already. A 3% raise after 8-9 years of no pay raises? Thanks.

Hard times

I have been working at School Specialty full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

It is a great place to work if you have kids and believe in education. The people are great and easy to get along with. You meet a great diversity of people here. Some employees are allowed to work from home depending on the job they hold, this is a great benefit.

Cons

It is difficult working here with the lack of good benefits for many years and the many many furloughs that had to be taken unpaid in the past. Because of this, there has been a lot of turnover and uncertainty. Things are always changing hands and there have been many lay-offs for staff reduction. These staff reductions usually come suddenly and as a surprise. This has caused a fear of losing one's job regardless of performance.

Great work environment

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate  in  Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Fresno, CA

I worked at School Specialty part-time for less than a year

Pros

Meeting new people and making new friends. Managers are hands on and show committment to company goals. Office is very well organized and clean, friendly customer service.

Cons

Lack of hours with no room for growth, Seasonal not very stable financially.

Consider climate contro to avoid heat related issues

It's not all it used to be

Former Employee - Distribution Supervisor
    Former Employee - Distribution Supervisor

I worked at School Specialty full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent hours. Opportunity for advancement. Middle management in distribution operations work very hard to ensure adequate training & follow-up. Benefits package for full-time employees is generous, and includes several weeks of PTO. Organization attempts to evolve to stay updated.

Cons

Many mistakes by executive management over the years have placed the company in financial ruin. Closing various distribution centers has left others impacted with overwhelming workload volume. Limited vacation availability during summer months. Entry-level employees are often strictly seasonal & stay as such for extended periods of time. Very low entry-level wages.

Management is Clueless

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES  in  Manchester, CT
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Manchester, CT

I worked at School Specialty full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent co-workers and sales support personnel

Cons

Extremely unsupportive and incompetent managers at all levels. Their incompetence reminds me of the incompetence found in the federal government

Try motivating techniques instead of demoralizing techniques.

Poor experience

Current Employee - Customer Care  in  Greenville, WI
    Current Employee - Customer Care in Greenville, WI

I have been working at School Specialty full-time for less than a year

Pros

You receive paid holidays and PTO and you don't work weekends. I cannot think of anything else good about working at SSI.

Cons

poorly ran customer service department. If you like feeling like a worthless person, then this is the job for you

E excellent Company to work for.

Former Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Huntsville, AL

I worked at School Specialty full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people who were on Support Team. The class of Customer Base they provided service to. The Management Team also very helpful with helping with solving problems and getting us we need to do the job and to increase the sales. Great compensation package.

Cons

Sometimes the programs that we offer Customers were too many and would last only couple of months and they would either get cancel or change. This would confuse the Customers.

Great Company to work. I'm sorry that I had to relocate and lose my position. But, if I had another opportunity to work for your Company, I would not think about I would take any position offer by your Company.

Worked for School Specialty? Contribute to the Community!