School of Visual Arts

www.schoolofvisualarts.edu

School of Visual Arts Reviews

Updated Jun 16, 2014
School of Visual Arts – US – “Front building”

School of Visual Arts – US – “Front building”

David Rhodes

Great environment

ProsVery talented, helpful colleagues in all departments.

ConsI am a part-time employee, I don't have much to complain about!

SVA

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsNormal work hours. Working with students was also nice. Seeing them succeed and move forward.

ConsVery bureaucratic work environment. Everything has to be cleared with upper management or HR to an almost annoying extent. The workplace can be very negative at times. The pay was pretty bad..

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be more trust in the employees to do their job. There is too much micromanaging happenign

Corporate University

Security and Administration (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsCreative and dynamic in some areas and departments. There are some very innovative people to some extent and the growth of the potential is important because of enormous financial means.

ConsRacial and class stratification! There is a culture of entitlement deeply embedded into the minds of people, whether it is power and greed. Underpaid staff besides the chair persons. The lack of assistance by some staffs to busy about doing their own things. To increase profit is the primary goal for the owners and the effectiveness is still not long and lasting. The human resources are corrupted.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a growing and urgent need for better management skills whether emotional, social and practical. The incompetency of some members is outstanding. Miscommunication between the human resources and the administration when it comes to time management such as vacation. Wage war is not the solution when people are not paid overtime.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great to be at an arts college but...

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsCreative atmosphere
    Administration encourages staff to pursue own creative goals (artist, curator, designer, etc)
    Generally nice work colleaguea

ConsLow pay for mid managers relative to senior management
    Really depends on the department you're in how things are. The College is so compartmentalized.
    Incompetent leadership depending on department.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay mid managers better.
    Create a better sense of community and connectedness among staff across campus work locations.

No room for growth due to the lack of support from upper management.

ProsThe best reason to work here is great work-life balance, great benefits and great people.

ConsUpper management is horrible with communicating with regular staff and allowing them to grow professionally, no room for growth, low salaries. I totally agree the there's and old boys club and you need to brown nose to advance and have a thick skin so that you can work in constant negativity.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the great employees you have and try to help them grow professionally

Mixed bag

Coordinator (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsPassionate students & lower level staff, good benefits (401k, health insurance, ability to take free/reduced rate classes)

ConsLow pay, poor work/life balance, upper level management seems apathetic to the needs or interests of students, poor communication and cooperation between departments, it's a major hassle to take off earned vacation days

Advice to Senior ManagementSome upper level staff, in my experience, take very little responsibility for their mistakes, exhibit abusive & manipulative behaviors, and communicate poorly. Some staff members feel that the school is only interested in expanding and raking in more revenue - SVA looks to its future while ignoring present problems, which creates low morale in staff. Overall support systems feel inadequate.

It was a great experience.

ProsGreat people, great equipment, great working environment

ConsThere were no cons really to share.

A good community

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAdministrative staff very friendly. Good benefits.

ConsFew opportunities for advancement. Pay raises often frozen for long periods of time.

Lots of Opportunity for Growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsI really learned a lot here. I really honed my skills and became far better at what I do. This job definitely prepared me for my future roles. Also, I met and became close friends with a lot of wonderful people.

ConsPeople don't always have appropriate boundaries. Free time is not always respected. They really don't understand the difference between a true emergency and "the boss really wants it".

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize that people can burn out and that we need our down time. Also, recognize that the people who work for you generally work very hard.

only caring about the $$$

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

Proslots of vacation days (we have a given two weeks off in december)

Consinter office politics, low pay, over worked, no management skills in bosses

Advice to Senior Managementlearn how to manage your workers! Also, you should do some of the work too!

Worked for School of Visual Arts? Contribute to the Community!