School of the Art Institute of Chicago

School of the Art Institute of Chicago Reviews

Updated Jun 17, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

You might not believe me, but I cannot imagine a better gig.

Faculty (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsFreedom in the classroom, support in and out of the classroom, funding for conference travel as well as specialized software, tremendous respect, and just pay. Also, association with an insitute consistently ranked among the top of its kind, phenomenal colleagues, an exhuberant and open-minded student body, and a really cool city to call home.

ConsPrecarity, perhaps. I find this freeing, but others may not feel as I do. SAIC hires masses of contigent faculty, especially in the liberal arts department, with very few tenure lines. You will want to be comfortable signing an annual contract repeatedly if you are to find peace and happiness in this position.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe SAIC Admin is stellar. I cannot fathom better human beings, more sincerely committed to transforming education in ways that are ethical and focused foremost on student well-being and achievement (in the present as well as in the future). If I live 1000 years, I hope to spend the 965 I have left as a part of this community, working alongside of this administration. And if we (the US) ever figure out what it takes to create an educated democracy, I do not doubt that SAIC will have played a key role in that "figuring out" process.

Enriching beyond the pay.

Assistant Director (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe motley crew of coworkers and characters who revolve through.

ConsProgress can be slow if you don't stand up for your area.

Advice to Senior ManagementEntrust your employees to do their job, but also give direction and parameters.

Inspiring and Challenging in the Best Way

Coordinator, Office of Student Affairs (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe people are amazing, and that is invaluable. The students, the staff and the faculty are working together to revolutionize the art world one student at a time. The vacation and health insurance are top notch. HMO health insurance is through Cigna, and is the best coverage I've ever had.

ConsSalary was the kicker for me. Staff at this school are really suffering, and ultimately I had to make a choice to pay my rent. I hated leaving, and hated that it came to this. I would go back in a heartbeat if it was a salary that met my needs.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good hours but slow and boring

Summer Intern (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsVery good hours and work life balance. Everyone in the office was very personal and open to getting along. The wage was very reasonable as well.

ConsThe office was very slow moving at time and I found myself getting very bored at times. The projects also weren't the best that said I was working there during the summer which is their slow season.

Advice to Senior ManagementTwo words... Pinball machine.

Supportive, creative, flexible

ProsShared creativity, range of activity, access to creative resources. Stimulating educational environment. Supportive community for career as well as artistic pursuits.

ConsLack of part time positions and/or ability to work four ten hour shifts. One of the benefits of working at the school is the ability to take one or two classes for free each semester. Without a flexible schedule the classes available are limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs most employees are also artists, support 4/10 schedules for staff that would like to attend studio classes.

SAIC is excellent.

Student (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGreat professors. Great environment. Some great students.

ConsSmall campus. Accepts a lot of unqualified students.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more selective. Elevate the student body to the quality of the faculty.

working hard for art and design

Instructor (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGreat place if you are a self motivated creative type, if you are not you get set aside quickly. Best place to work in the midwest if you are an artist.

ConsThe "lefty" politics get in the way and are applied upon each other brutally.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management is trying to make the right decisions, and they do most of the time, it seams as though they have a hard job.

love the students, hate the admin

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsStudents are great. Some of the best and most talented in the country.

ConsAdministration is a nightmare, especially the admissions department. Constant bickering between departments and no coordination with the museum of the same name. Wasteful spending of students already outrageous tuition. Out of touch with reality of art. Only care about $$$.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnd the silos and departmentalization, lower tuition.

good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosfriendly people
    nice place to work if you love to being involved in art world

Consno cons
    enjoyed to work at SAIC

AI-OC

Faculty (Former Employee)
    Costa Mesa, CA

ProsStable and reliable business, plenty of room to grow, good salary, good benifits.

ConsSuper corporate. Coming from a teachers point of view (I taught in the Graphic Design department) there were always a lot of extra duties assigned to you (even if you do other extra curricular things for the school voluntarily), and lots of corporate mandates that would come down to us from some mythical 'regional dean'. It is possible that my experiences are a reflection of that one locations administration (specifically my department chair and school dean), as it seems that each school has it's own culture and vibe.

Also, because they will literally take anyone as a student (as long as you can pay for it) there is a serious lack of motivation with some students and a lot of resentment among others because of the high tuition costs.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nicer to all of your teachers, not just your favorites!

Worked for School of the Art Institute of Chicago? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at School of the Art Institute of Chicago reviews and ratings. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by School of the Art Institute of Chicago employees.