SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union

Bill Cheney

Really good company

Current Employee - Member Service Representative II in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative II in Irvine, CA

I have been working at SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are amazing, 401k with 6% match, free dental, vision, and medical. Awesome team members and training.

Cons

The scheduling! We get our schedules 1 week in advance sometimes 3 days in advance.

Make the schedule one month in advance

Everything's great, except management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best thing about working here is the benefits that they offer.

Cons

I feel that this review only applies to the department I worked in. This would be a great place to work at if it wasn't for my manager. I honestly try and give her the benefit of the doubt and be open minded, but my manager is the only con. Management above does nothing about her too, they turn a blind eye and it's sad to see good workers treated so poorly.

Be professional. Don't talk down to your employees. Don't make us feel like we don't have a voice. Don't use fear as a way of control. Remember what you instruct employees to do, don't peddle back or criticize us for doing what you instructed us to do.

Great Credit Union!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best part is this credit union put the Member first. Always make their life better.

Cons

Some Managers are do ot believe in a work / life balance. If you are not looking to advance because your family is more important then that manager will make your life at work HELL.

All upper management should be more aware of the work life balance for all teammembers.

Stable and reliable, respectful and appreciative of employees, strong culture of service.

I have been working at SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked here for several years and I am very happy. Anyone who thinks this place has "politics" or mistreats its employees must have very limited work experience in the rest of the world. I can refer you to some places that will leave you (literally) crying in a corner. They are extremely appreciative of their employees, always giving recognition when it's deserved. The company's service culture is strong, long-standing, and deeply rooted. If you want to work somewhere that is financially stable, respects its employees, and provides opportunities to learn and grow, where you leave work feeling like you made a difference in someone's life, you'll be happy here too.

In response to the comments that it's hard to get promotions: "good" elsewhere is mediocre here. Simply doing your job is not going to get you promoted. Those who are overlooked should do some thoughtful self-reflection, because it's possible that while you might be competent, you have a negative attitude (say, for example, posting a scathing review on Glassdoor). If you're a title-seeker and want to be quickly promoted, this isn't the place for you. They're selective. And that's not a bad thing.

Cons

Sometimes slow to adopt technology and innovation, but that's a by-product of being financial conservative (and stable...). It's not frustrating if you know to expect it and learn to work with it. The workload is often heavy and the pace fast, but your manager/VP makes him/herself available to help you prioritize and delegate, and the rest of the team is always willing to lend a hand--even to another department.

Great benefits and pay but no growth opportunties

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Tustin, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Tustin, CA

Pros

The culture of the company is nice, it promotes a one team spirit and making our Members lives better. They heavily promote working as a team and as one. Most people are friendly there are some who don't speak or are very dry it makes me wonder how they even got hired. The pay is great, I think they offer a very competitive pay and the benefits are outstanding. The employee perks are also very nice, always getting some kind of surprise cash bonus or treat or product. Nice trips and/or outings depending on your department.

Cons

There is little to no room for growth or advancement at least in some areas of the CU. If you are lucky to get that growth or promotion be very happy but also be prepared to wait a long time to get. The growth and advancement is is very slow. You see people working in the same role for 5, 10 or 15 years plus before advancing. Office politics are heavy, manager favorites or pets are also present. They are quick to demote you if you aren't cutting it, so don't get too comfortable in your new promotion it could be taken away in the blink of an eye.

Too much incompetency and dirty politics in tech infrastructure management

Current Employee - Tech Infrastructure in Tustin, CA
    Current Employee - Tech Infrastructure in Tustin, CA

Pros

IT infrastructure department do not have any Pros that would out do the Cons including politics, mistreatment by management and favors to pet employees by management

Cons

Tech infrastructure has been full of dirty politics and power abuse by incompetent senior management. Few highest level executives have been recently asked to resign due to mismanagement of the some of the most visible and important projects. Uncontrolled dirty politics was so commonplace to an extent even the lower level tech employees were affected and we lost a several very talented employees .

Pay very close attention to the power abuse by the senior management, mainly in the tech infrastructure. We have been losing so many talented colleagues who didn't want to withstand mistreatment these abusers.

Please do not bring in senior executives with mediocre track record from somewhere else. Also please do not promote within the existing ranks if they do not have a proven track record.

The department may not survive if this continues.

SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union Response

Aug 19, 2014Human Resources

We’re terribly sorry to hear this has been your experience at SchoolsFirst FCU. The happiness of our employees is of the utmost importance to us. The behavior you’re describing is not acceptable by ... More

Old fashioned

I have been working at SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union part-time

Pros

Great company no pressure environment

Cons

Growth opportunities are limited you really have to wait in line for a promotion even if you're the best candidate

Politic is heavily played in this organization

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Fountain Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Fountain Valley, CA

I worked at SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union part-time (more than an year)

Pros

This employer definitely offers great benefits and rates.

Cons

Senior employees tend to form cliques and back each other up to condone laziness. It used to emphasize only on customer service, but since its name change it has emphasize heavily on sales, sales, sales.

Not every customer is right about his or her complaint. Customers do abuse their privileges very often and blame on employees for their mistakes. Please do investigate and understand every situation from an employee's point of view too, instead of only customer.

Former employee

I worked at SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working with a dedicated and very hard working team. Some of my fondest memories are the projects that I had the privilege to lead with an amazing group of professionals. I miss all of the teammembers I had the honor to manage or simply interact with on a daily basis. This dedicated and tireless team (not senior management) is the reason for this organization's success and I am proud to say that I was a part of this team.

Cons

Stifling culture that is rife with politics and "punishment" for any mistake. The leadership team is ruled with an iron hand by the CEO who has two personas...one of loving, kind and patient leader for the general team and the other (true?) side of vindictive, cruel, impatient dictator who will exact every ounce of revenge against any member of management team who crosses or questions him. His retirement at the end of March cannot come soon enough and hopefully the organization with finally be freed from this tyrant. A new leader will do much to heal this organization and lead it into the 21st century.

Embrace the new CEO, support him/her and the inevitable changes that will come with new leadership and refrain from using the old CEO as a benchmark for comparison. Trust me when I say that once you are out of the organization you have a clearer perspective and can see many of the significant flaws that have been perpetrated for decades by the old regime.

Takes care of their employees so they take care of the Members....

I have been working at SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The passion of the CEO and the leadership team for our team to serve our Members is amazing! You can see that service is the number one priority and it comes from the top down. They truly understand if you take care of your employees your employees will take care of your customers. A person was hired recently to address the training needs of the management team and you can see the postive impact it is having on the managers and leadership team. They are coaching and rewarding their team with a renewed passion. The Credit union is growing and will continue to grow because they focus on taking care of all school employees and their Members.

Cons

I can't think of any at this time.

Continue to coach and support teammembers to be the best they can.