SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union

Reset
3.4
Bill Cheney

Business Analyst

I have been working at SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are superior to most companies: health, dental, and vision are at no cost to the employee; a 6% match for 401k contributions. The employees at this organization are all extremely friendly--and the friendliness never fades.

Cons

As a small company, there is very little room for growth unless there a lot of time invested in the company. Non-management is not included within the current bonus structure. "Personality" is valued over competence and ability. The organization has also grown so quickly that the operational side is in a constant struggle to keep up with demand.

Advice to Management

It is important to remember that non-management employees play a crucial role in the organization. The current bonus structure/lack of bonuses for non-management does not reflect that statement and may be detrimental to the organizational objective of retaining quality employees.

It a good place to work but it has it down falls

Current Employee - Telephone Service Representative I
    Current Employee - Telephone Service Representative I

I have been working at SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

insurance, decent wage, year around incentives

Cons

lack of development, Somewhat politicals

Too much Politics and lip service

Current Employee - Member Service Representative III in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative III in Irvine, CA

I have been working at SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great medical, dental and 401k benefit

Cons

Cronyism in management. Most supper management are white.. No room for minorities to flourish.

Advice to Management

Start acting like a nonprofit union that you are supposed to be and not a greedy bank

Business Analyst

I have been working at SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Many decent people work here

Cons

Big banking influence is spreading, losing our Credit Union work culture

Advice to Management

Keep our service culture alive, too much cronyism within middle management sets an example to lower ranking teammembers not to speak up when something is not going well.

What were you people thinkin'? Who do you think you are?

Former Employee - Collections Representative in Tustin, CA
    Former Employee - Collections Representative in Tustin, CA

I worked at SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, Great Credit Union to Belong to

Cons

Nosy, self-important, narcissists, Not Familiar with HIPAA Laws

Advice to Management

When you hire a professional to assess an employee, accept the assessment. Do NOT terminate an employee for not providing a doctors letter for an appointment taken months before to excuse the absence. You terminated a disabled Vet for seeking treatment of his disability and not providing you a letter from his doctor indicating the fact. I should have sued...

7. Really good company

Current Employee - Member Service Representative II in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative II in Irvine, CA

I have been working at SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are amazing, 401k with 6% match, free dental, vision, and medical. Awesome team members and training.

Cons

The scheduling! We get our schedules 1 week in advance sometimes 3 days in advance.

Advice to Management

Make the schedule one month in advance

Everything's great, except management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA

Pros

The best thing about working here is the benefits that they offer.

Cons

I feel that this review only applies to the department I worked in. This would be a great place to work at if it wasn't for my manager. I honestly try and give her the benefit of the doubt and be open minded, but my manager is the only con. Management above does nothing about her too, they turn a blind eye and it's sad to see good workers treated so poorly.

Advice to Management

Be professional. Don't talk down to your employees. Don't make us feel like we don't have a voice. Don't use fear as a way of control. Remember what you instruct employees to do, don't peddle back or criticize us for doing what you instructed us to do.

9. Great Credit Union!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best part is this credit union put the Member first. Always make their life better.

Cons

Some Managers are do ot believe in a work / life balance. If you are not looking to advance because your family is more important then that manager will make your life at work HELL.

Advice to Management

All upper management should be more aware of the work life balance for all teammembers.

Stable and reliable, respectful and appreciative of employees, strong culture of service.

I have been working at SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked here for several years and I am very happy. Anyone who thinks this place has "politics" or mistreats its employees must have very limited work experience in the rest of the world. I can refer you to some places that will leave you (literally) crying in a corner. They are extremely appreciative of their employees, always giving recognition when it's deserved. The company's service culture is strong, long-standing, and deeply rooted. If you want to work somewhere that is financially stable, respects its employees, and provides opportunities to learn and grow, where you leave work feeling like you made a difference in someone's life, you'll be happy here too. In response to the comments that it's hard to get promotions: "good" elsewhere is mediocre here. Simply doing your job is not going to get you promoted. Those who are overlooked should do some thoughtful self-reflection, because it's possible that while you might be competent, you have a negative attitude (say, for example, posting a scathing review on Glassdoor). If you're a title-seeker and want to be quickly promoted, this isn't the place for you. They're selective. And that's not a bad thing.

Cons

Sometimes slow to adopt technology and innovation, but that's a by-product of being financial conservative (and stable...). It's not frustrating if you know to expect it and learn to work with it. The workload is often heavy and the pace fast, but your manager/VP makes him/herself available to help you prioritize and delegate, and the rest of the team is always willing to lend a hand--even to another department.

Too much incompetency and dirty politics in tech infrastructure management

Current Employee - Tech Infrastructure in Tustin, CA
    Current Employee - Tech Infrastructure in Tustin, CA

Pros

IT infrastructure department do not have any Pros that would out do the Cons including politics, mistreatment by management and favors to pet employees by management

Cons

Tech infrastructure has been full of dirty politics and power abuse by incompetent senior management. Few highest level executives have been recently asked to resign due to mismanagement of the some of the most visible and important projects. Uncontrolled dirty politics was so commonplace to an extent even the lower level tech employees were affected and we lost a several very talented employees .

Advice to Management

Pay very close attention to the power abuse by the senior management, mainly in the tech infrastructure. We have been losing so many talented colleagues who didn't want to withstand mistreatment these abusers. Please do not bring in senior executives with mediocre track record from somewhere else. Also please do not promote within the existing ranks if they do not have a proven track record. The department may not survive if this continues.

SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union Response

Aug 19, 2014 – Human Resources

We’re terribly sorry to hear this has been your experience at SchoolsFirst FCU. The happiness of our employees is of the utmost importance to us. The behavior you’re describing is not acceptable by ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed