Schoolwires

Updated October 27, 2014
3.7

Christiane Crawford

Great job, decent environment

I have been working at Schoolwires

Pros

It was a good job with a decent team. The team dynamics are a little hazy at times, but work well overall. Friendly coworkers all aimed to help the clients and develop a world class product.

Cons

Some people seem to have been at the company since the beginning and could get away with more than they ought to be able.

disappointing experience

I worked at Schoolwires full-time (more than an year)

Pros

smaller software company trying to execute on some good ideas
    k-12 space

Cons

very political
    k-12 space
    certain management needs training on anger management and emotional intelligence
    strange and inconsistent methods of moving people around, demoting-them, promoting-them, within in very short-periods of time etc. almost like management and HR were experimenting or I missed the research that concluded iterating through your employees' titles within a short-time frame resulted in a more-effective organization. or perhaps shifts in political power and emotional-state of decision-makers determined what happened with lower-level employees, because it certainly did not result in happier or more effective employees while I was there.

A great, family-oriented place to work with a great culture, work/life balance, and flexibility.

I have been working at Schoolwires full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Schoolwires is a growing company offering products that directly affect the community and education industry. It is a great place to work as they promote a healthy life/work balance, flexible time-off, and are very family oriented. Compensation and career advancement opportunities are really good for the area, and management does a good job of recognizing hard work. The people at Schoolwires are amazing to work with and take great pride in their work. The culture is really great!

Cons

The market is always changing, so you have to be able to adapt to changes in priorities quickly. The company is expanding and growing so quick that office space is becoming tight and limited. A bigger office space is desperately needed.

Make sure employees are in positions that best utilize their skill set.

A good company that is getting better and better

I have been working at Schoolwires full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This company is still growing, which means there are always new opportunities opening up and they often promote from within. A good work-life balance is encouraged and modeled by management. Over the past few years I have seen a lot of positive improvements in terms of strategy both with products and the direction of the company. This is a company that started out very small, grew very fast, and is now more stable so they are catching up in terms of organizational structure and culture. There are things that could have been done better but the biggest pro is that everyone is very invested in the company. Even though we are a tech company, our clients are educators and our users are teachers, parents and students. Our success means the success of the next generation which makes everything we do worthwhile and there is a feeling of that in the company culture.

Cons

In the past there have been some inequalities in terms of pay scale and resource management. However, I feel that these things are being righted and I have noticed a lot of positive reinforcement and fairness in terms of benefits and recognition lately. My biggest con is that the company is in two buildings and the space is not evenly distributed. I would like to see them invest in their future by finding a better space where this small company can all be together while we're still small enough to do so.

Culture is the most important part of a company's health and success. I would like to see more effort and communication around a set of simple values that could guide organizational decisions and direction.

Excellent Place to Work

I have been working at Schoolwires full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Schoolwires is a family-friendly company and offers the opportunity for a healthy work-life balance. The talent is top-notch in many departments and most employees have a very positive outlook. Flexible hours and time off is a big plus, along with health/dental/life/accident/and many other benefits available. There are many opportunities for advancement and the higher-ups do a good job of recognizing a job well done. Employees generally take great pride in being part of the Schoolwires family.

Cons

It's not always clear who is in charge of what so many people want to make decisions regarding one issue and nothing actually gets decided. When a decision is made, it might not always be the best due to the correct person(s) not being involved.

Pay attention to where new resources are added and where they aren't vs where they are actually needed. Client-facing employees are not always more important than the folks behind the scenes.

Schoolwires has the most incredible workplace culture I've ever experienced!

Current Employee - Product Design in State College, PA
    Current Employee - Product Design in State College, PA

I have been working at Schoolwires full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ample flex time off, family friendly atmosphere, fantastic benefits, competitive compensation and an absolutely incredible company culture are just a view of my favorite aspects of this company. I've been with Schoolwires for over 6 years now and have been offered jobs with other larger companies, and haven't even given the offers a second thought. The work environment is amazing, our senior staff is incredibly supportive, and they really work hard to recognize people who go above and beyond. Work/life balance is highly valued. There is a lot of room for career mobility internally, promotion from within is encouraged. We've had many employees who start out in entry level positions and work their way up to senior positions. I can't imagine being happier working anywhere else. When clients come to visit they liken the atmosphere to that of Google. Clients also accuse us of putting something in the water to make people love their jobs, and exude such a level of happiness in the workplace. I've never experienced such a positive work environment in my life, and I've worked for a top 20 fortune 500 company, a major university and in even a small company. This place is workplace utopia.

Cons

The only con I can even thing of is the location from a commuter standpoint. I live within a 10 minute drive of our office, but others commute up to 2.5 hours each day. (That's how amazing this place is... folks are willing to commute 2.5 hours a day to get here!)

Our senior staff is incredible. They have launched our company from a startup to an industry leader. It has been an amazing experience watching this company grow and thrive throughout the years! We completely crush our sales goals as well, it's a great place to work and a great time to join the team!

Great Potential

I worked at Schoolwires full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Product with lots of potential. Great people.

Cons

Small company with big company mentality.

Has great potential

I worked at Schoolwires full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Loved the idea of working for a newer company. Liked it was focused on K12.

Cons

Most employees were in the programming, training, service side of the company. Never could understand how a small company with it's revenue could afford to pay the salary of their management team.....in business 10 years and not profitable yet. Majority of staff was in a manager, supervisor, director, or VP position.....meaning titles didn't mean a thing. Never worked for a company with such negativity. Always seemed as the company was running behind instead of planning for the future. A coworker once explained it to me as "everyone running around like their hair is on fire".

Agree on the vision for the company before you roll it out to the employees. Don't sell products that are not created, and good sales people are not always good managers.

Some great people, but a company still trying to figure-out how it should operate

I have been working at Schoolwires full-time

Pros

There are some great people here or have been great people in the past. Great as in talented, caring, motivated, and smart. The vacation is generous,extracurricular company functions are good (CARE), many positions allow you to work from home. Many people do often times seem to be really trying to make it a good company and produce a good product. If you are willing to stick it out as organizational leadership gets its crap together it's a pretty good place.

Cons

Now to the meat and potatoes... Salary can really suck, unless you really advocate for yourself if you have clout or have someone with political clout advocate for you. Titles are meaningless in terms of experience and abilities (although there are people trying to change this though not entirely certain there is an agreement on standards across the organization which makes the attempts mis-guided). The blame-game runs rampant posing as accountability. It is also very cliquish and some in positions of power participate in bad-mouthing or gossiping that does not create an inclusive environment like they claim on their website. Though they have been in business for quite awhile, there seem to be a lot of organizational and communication issues that impact the day-to-day that are still being worked-out; sometimes it is hard to know what you're supposed to be doing, when you're supposed to be doing it, and why you're doing it until after you've already been blamed for not doing it. This is less of a problem for those who have been there for awhile since they are acclimated or are apart of one of the cliques. I think this is an ideal place for a lower-level employee who maybe has little recent, significant experience working for other organizations, a good place for an upper-level employee trying to make a name for themselves, or someone in-between that is a masochist.

Keep trying, but don't pretend like you know what you're doing when you don't because it is apparent for anyone who has worked somewhere else for any length of time. Also, don't hold subordinates accountable for organizational issues or your screw-ups. Blame and accountability are two different things.

Not a good balance work life

I have been working at Schoolwires full-time

Pros

some good people to work with

Cons

unrealistic expectations for their employees

Schoolwires Photos