Schreiber Foods Reviews

Mike Haddad

1. Overall a good place to work

Former Employee - Assembly Line Worker in Smithfield, UT
    Former Employee - Assembly Line Worker in Smithfield, UT

I worked at Schreiber Foods full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I considered the pay-rate to be good. There were consistent shift hours and often times overtime was available. They also gave us a discount on the product, which was significant. HR was great, and felt they cared about my needs. I enjoyed some of my coworkers.

Cons

There seemed to be a lot of gossiping and a few threatening co-workers. The commute to the plant is long, but they have a good parking lot. The smell of the plant. Cheese stinks.

I had a fairly positive experience as a Team Advisor.

I worked at Schreiber Foods

Pros

Do to what seems to be, in my opinion, a high attrition rate, advancement opportunities were abundant. All you have to do is be decent at your job and stick around for about 2-3 years before being promoted. It was also fairly easy to move laterally within the company. You got discounted cheese at the weekly sales. HR checks on your development about once/month. There are "overtime" opportunities for Team Advisors. Great 401k match if you stick around for 3 years (so you are vested).

Cons

401k contributions do not kick in until you have been at the company for 3 years. Schreiber matches your contributions until the 3 year mark with company stock, but you don't get it in your account, so you miss out on compounded growth. Salary is not competitive at all, but HR will try to sell you a "Total Compensation" value that takes into account the value of your other benefits. You will be shown a graph showing stock price over time with substantial growth. A great deal of that growth in valuation of the company is due to a change in the consultant firm Schreiber uses to value the company. It's obvious on the graph which year that change occurred.

With the exception of Schreiber's headquarters in Green Bay, all other domestic facilities were about 1.5 hours away from a major metropolitan area. This is of importance if you are used to a more urban environment. I wouldn't say Schreiber is a diverse company; most of the leadership is white and male. If you start as a Team Advisor (production manager) you must start working on an off-shift (graveyard or late evening). You cannot work a normal 9-5 shift until you are promoted to interim or full-time Team Leader (department manager). Also, in order to be successful and stay atop of your duties you must expect to put in 10 hours/day. Lunches are short if you're in management, as problems that arise on the floor quickly require your attention.

Schreiber puts new employees into a development program. This program consists of a binder with tasks you must complete in order to advance to certain levels. There is very limited formal training, and those training events are open to all salaried employees, so I wouldn't say it is specifically for the program. On the whole you are in charge of your development.

The "overtime" is a sum that is earned for every 8 hour shift a Team Advisor works on the weekend. You should expect to work at least 4 weekends out of a quarter. If you value your weekend time and choose not to play ball you will have trouble with advancement. I've heard of Team Advisors that were terminated or quit before quarter-end you forfeit this money and are not paid for your time.

Advice to Management

Frequent changes to the Operations Incentive Plan (sort of like profit sharing) have led to confusion and disillusionment on the production floor. It seems the OIP doesn't reflect real plant financials, and employees feel they are being deprived of the bonuses they earned. More attention needs to be placed on safety and training. Employees voices should carry more weight when they share their safety concerns.

3. Thanks for paying for my degree then not hiring me

Former Employee - Utility in Logan, UT
    Former Employee - Utility in Logan, UT

I worked at Schreiber Foods full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive pay and always expanding

Cons

Very political and cut throat a lot of management back stab you

Advice to Management

If you are going to pay for someone to get a management degree why don't you try hiring them as a manager

5. Schreiber culture is excellent

Current Employee - Process Owner Casting Packaging in Logan, UT
    Current Employee - Process Owner Casting Packaging in Logan, UT

I have been working at Schreiber Foods full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay and partner driven governing system. I appreciate the practice of seniority.

Cons

Benefits and bonuses have only gotten worse over the last 7 years.

Advice to Management

Please reconsider policy on advancement opportunities for partners that do not have a college degree. Your missing out on a lot of potential.

6. Great Company that looks after its employees.

Current Employee - Partner in Smithfield, UT
    Current Employee - Partner in Smithfield, UT

I have been working at Schreiber Foods full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great place, good people, company looks after its employees. Benefits are great, and they do a good job of informing partners of impact on benefits, OIP, 401K, and many other aspects of the company, as well as the state in this economy.

Cons

None thus far have had a great experience here.

7. The house of cards is starting to fall

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Logan, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Logan, UT

I have been working at Schreiber Foods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Disproportionate salary and bonuses if you are in management. Get the "partners" to drink the Kool-Aid and you are set for life.

Cons

You are a target unless you make the right political alliances. "Leaders are guilty until proven innocent" is the message from HR. A lot of pressure drops off after 5 years because your ESOP is vested and home office loses the financial incentive to term you and take your retirement back.

Advice to Management

Clean house across the entire company like you did in Clinton.

8. I enjoyed the ability to contribute ideas on improving working conditions and production processes.

Former Employee - Material Handler in Smithfield, UT
    Former Employee - Material Handler in Smithfield, UT

I worked at Schreiber Foods full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great financial benefits, great management, learning opportunities, career opportunities.

Cons

Holiday hours, Family Death benefits.

Great place to make money!

Former Employee - General Labor Or Operator in Logan, UT
    Former Employee - General Labor Or Operator in Logan, UT

I worked at Schreiber Foods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great compensation, striving to be Number 1, rolling out Toyota Production System

Cons

Company is of religious ownership. It has a non-world view of life herself, in a business environment. This company spends too much time and money doing things as cheap as possible. It often chooses to remake junk equipment and spend many dollars on maintenance and down-time, rather have a good piece of equipment initially. Its religious core is mired in racism and manipulation of reality to perpetuate any given circumstance or point it chooses as superior (obvious smoke and mirrors.)

Advice to Management

Fully implement TPS

10. Pretty good place to work.

Former Employee - Production Team Advisor in Logan, UT

I worked at Schreiber Foods full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and pay. Management is questionable.

Cons

Management is questionable at best.

11. 3 good years

Former Employee - Material Handler in Logan, UT
    Former Employee - Material Handler in Logan, UT

I worked at Schreiber Foods full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very good paying job especially for Cache Valley

Cons

Supervisors that were hired often very young with little to no experience and lacking credibility.

Advice to Management

I knew many with qualifications and degrees that couldn't get a sniff as far as a promotion because they were older than 25...