Schroders Reviews

Updated July 16, 2014

3.2

George W. Mallinckrodt

Great work/life balance!

Current Employee - Analyst Developer  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Analyst Developer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Schroders full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people are generally great to work with. Managers receive core training, so employees without management experience do get at least a foundation level of knowledge to work with and aren't just left to invent a management style for themselves. Work/life balance is real and unless the pressure is on to meet a deadline no one is a slave to their desk. A 9 to 5 day can actually be the norm!

Cons

Compensation is not as good as at comparable companies.
    Development of talent at all levels is not fantastic - the focus is on the obvious and HR/senior management do not look within often enough to develop talent across the business.

Instead of relying on hearsay or ill defined talent development practices, why not ask employees to identify themselves if they are actively looking to develop within the company? Typically the most obvious candidate (i.e. the person 2nd in command of a team) is recruited into a leadership/management role, and the role is never offered out to employees. If the role is never advertised, how can you know that you got the best candidate for the job?

Same goes for sideways moves.. the assumption is that for niche roles there is no one who could move into that role and typically recruitment is from external sources. A way of allowing employees to identify themselves and their full skill set would give HR a larger talent pool to offer up for those roles.

Short skirts or Underlying Essex roots helps.

I worked at Schroders

Pros

Some genuine people here but are muscled out occasionally .

Cons

Too much corruption if your not part of the crowd.
    If your a threat you can be sabotaged.

We know how you got there. ...

Confused

Current Employee - Client Service  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Client Service in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Schroders full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Gym in basement - decent coffee shop - some intersting corporate art

Cons

This company seems to have got deeply confused about its own identity - trying to move on from the parochial, family run firm to a more corporate approach - and has carefully taken the worst characteristics of both. An ivory tower dwelling, dictatorial senior management who expect to be treated like royalty and demonstrate hubris and superciliousness as their most common character traits. This arrogance and feudal attitude means motivation among the serfs is lower than the gym in the basement.

Resign

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good people, good pay, poor management

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Schroders full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fund and product managers are good, as well as marketing. Good access to fund management. Base salary lower than average, but good bonus (cash+shares). Good work/life balance

Cons

Management struggle to retain talents, especially the ones who are not in the HQ in London or close to some big guys. The Schroders shares are very volatile, so they impact the value of the deferred portion of your bonus. Too many people who spend more time in promoting themselves internally rather than Schroders products externally and buttering up their bosses. Overstaffed organization.

To look more in detail the entities outside the big centres (London, NYC) in order to understand where the added value is really generated. Sometimes mediocrity is rewarded,

Great employees, decent business, poor people/talent managers

Current Employee - Equity Analyst  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Equity Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Schroders full-time

Pros

There are many talented, hard-working people at the company and they are a pleasure to work with. The business works hard at putting on social events & getting employees across disciplines to interact, share time & ideas, even contribute something to society via charity or volunteering. A positive work environment is reflected in a fairly successful & happy work force. Compensation is decent but not the highest in the industry. Bonuses are OK, though not always based on absolute merit. Bonuses are rarely in the form of equity/options unless you're middle/top management which is unusual in finance. Vacation increases with length of service & is a decent to good allocation p.a. The company is global with many offices in varied geographies and the occasional opportunity to move country/job which is rewarding for both career & personal development.

Cons

Almost constant restructuring over time, often repeating structures/business plans as they go in & out of fashion. This destabilizes the confidence of employees. Top management & HR are unaware/inactive when (in rare cases) middle management acts poorly or treats subordinates unprofessionally, often taking years to fix problems and/or waiting for employee turnover to fix the issue. Much of this is par for the course across finance but this company is no exception to the rule.

Stick to an internal business plan or structure for more than 3 years. It will literally pay dividends.

Lost Few Years

I have been working at Schroders full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The toilets are quite clean.

Cons

Management makes false promises to attract young talents. However, they never keep promises or develop young people.

Make promises that you are 100% sure that you are going to keep.

Finance

I worked at Schroders as a contractor

Pros

Great people, supportive, learning environment.

Cons

I didn't have any bad experiences.

Keep up the good work.

I worked at Schroders full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Schroders assembled a team of seasoned investors and portfolio managers, a group of very astute investors. Very much applaud the firm's strategy to exit the investment banking business and be a pure investment management firm.

Cons

Some of the perceived top performers, are not, it is the team that drives performance. Shockingly unprofessional behaviour (such as manager sending vitriolic abusive e-mails to subordinates) is allowed. Administrative staff in the US has mixed level of dedication.

Pay attention to the analyst contribution versus PM. Be careful of the little fiefdoms and how it can cloud who is really doing meaningful work to make money on behalf of shareholders.

Very rewarding, many times I felt like the company was giving to me far more than it was asking from me

I worked at Schroders

Pros

- Great working environment, relaxed atmosphere, lots of social events
    - Senior management is very accessible, even for interns
    - Great figures within the company, some of the line managers really care about your career development
    - I never felt pressured to work extremely long hours, never worked a single weekend

Cons

- Pay is considerably lower than in Investment Banking
    - The Summer Internship scheme does not give you direct access to the Graduate Program in case of a successful experience, you have to reapply

Worst nightmare of my career

I worked at Schroders

Pros

Modest Gym
    Modest office
    In the city

Cons

I had the worst experience of my carreer in my small stint at schroder IT at Gresham street
    I worked very hard and efficiently but was laid of for no apparent reason( believe me no proof of anything )
    Neither it was performance, competence or any personal reason . I'm still puzzled
    at their behavior tho. it was a good riddance.

I cannot comment about other departments but the IT dept. at Schroders is run
    by incompetent and whimsical people . The HR department is completely subservient to managers
    with no say of its own. Even the most senior management in IT is unresponsive and total waste.
     The mind of this firm is very narrow and conservative - salary is one of the reflection of it. I also witnessed some nepotism I'm my department .

I would highly advise not to join this firm, and if u have no option join with your risk.

Worked for Schroders? Contribute to the Community!