Schroders

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

George W. Mallinckrodt

Great employees, decent business, poor people/talent managers

Equity Analyst (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsThere are many talented, hard-working people at the company and they are a pleasure to work with. The business works hard at putting on social events & getting employees across disciplines to interact, share time & ideas, even contribute something to society via charity or volunteering. A positive work environment is reflected in a fairly successful & happy work force. Compensation is decent but not the highest in the industry. Bonuses are OK, though not always based on absolute merit. Bonuses are rarely in the form of equity/options unless you're middle/top management which is unusual in finance. Vacation increases with length of service & is a decent to good allocation p.a. The company is global with many offices in varied geographies and the occasional opportunity to move country/job which is rewarding for both career & personal development.

ConsAlmost constant restructuring over time, often repeating structures/business plans as they go in & out of fashion. This destabilizes the confidence of employees. Top management & HR are unaware/inactive when (in rare cases) middle management acts poorly or treats subordinates unprofessionally, often taking years to fix problems and/or waiting for employee turnover to fix the issue. Much of this is par for the course across finance but this company is no exception to the rule.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to an internal business plan or structure for more than 3 years. It will literally pay dividends.

Short skirts or Underlying Essex roots helps.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome genuine people here but are muscled out occasionally .

ConsToo much corruption if your not part of the crowd.
    If your a threat you can be sabotaged.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe know how you got there. ...

Good people, good pay, poor management

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsFund and product managers are good, as well as marketing. Good access to fund management. Base salary lower than average, but good bonus (cash+shares). Good work/life balance

ConsManagement struggle to retain talents, especially the ones who are not in the HQ in London or close to some big guys. The Schroders shares are very volatile, so they impact the value of the deferred portion of your bonus. Too many people who spend more time in promoting themselves internally rather than Schroders products externally and buttering up their bosses. Overstaffed organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo look more in detail the entities outside the big centres (London, NYC) in order to understand where the added value is really generated. Sometimes mediocrity is rewarded,

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lost Few Years

ProsThe toilets are quite clean.

ConsManagement makes false promises to attract young talents. However, they never keep promises or develop young people.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake promises that you are 100% sure that you are going to keep.

Finance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people, supportive, learning environment.

ConsI didn't have any bad experiences.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

A fantastic excellent firm full of talented analysts and portfolio managers.

Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsSchroders assembled a team of seasoned investors and portfolio managers, a group of very astute investors. Very much applaud the firm's strategy to exit the investment banking business and be a pure investment management firm.

ConsSome of the perceived top performers, are not, it is the team that drives performance. Shockingly unprofessional behaviour (such as manager sending vitriolic abusive e-mails to subordinates) is allowed. Administrative staff in the US has mixed level of dedication.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the analyst contribution versus PM. Be careful of the little fiefdoms and how it can cloud who is really doing meaningful work to make money on behalf of shareholders.

Very rewarding, many times I felt like the company was giving to me far more than it was asking from me

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Great working environment, relaxed atmosphere, lots of social events
    - Senior management is very accessible, even for interns
    - Great figures within the company, some of the line managers really care about your career development
    - I never felt pressured to work extremely long hours, never worked a single weekend

Cons- Pay is considerably lower than in Investment Banking
    - The Summer Internship scheme does not give you direct access to the Graduate Program in case of a successful experience, you have to reapply

Worst nightmare of my career

ProsModest Gym
    Modest office
    In the city

ConsI had the worst experience of my carreer in my small stint at schroder IT at Gresham street
    I worked very hard and efficiently but was laid of for no apparent reason( believe me no proof of anything )
    Neither it was performance, competence or any personal reason . I'm still puzzled
    at their behavior tho. it was a good riddance.

I cannot comment about other departments but the IT dept. at Schroders is run
    by incompetent and whimsical people . The HR department is completely subservient to managers
    with no say of its own. Even the most senior management in IT is unresponsive and total waste.
     The mind of this firm is very narrow and conservative - salary is one of the reflection of it. I also witnessed some nepotism I'm my department .

I would highly advise not to join this firm, and if u have no option join with your risk.

A relaxed, yet engaging experience

Investment Summer Intern (Former Employee)
    City of London, England (UK)

Pros- working environment free of cut-throat pressure
    - freedom to do your project independently
    - good work/life balance
    - employees generally friendly and understanding, willing to help you even if you are only an intern
    - gym
    - team generally makes you feel valued and wanted

Cons- low pay (compared to investment banks)
    - not for those looking for a fast-paced, get-go job
    - incredibly old-school British (so not very diverse)
    - small-ish firm culture may not suit those looking for the typical investment banking culture

It is like a big family, in one hand there is a lot of support but in the other not everyone is treated the same.

City of London, England (UK)

Pros- total support with professional development (i.e. IMC, CFA, etc.)
    - great social activities (sports, pub quiz, tours, etc.)
    - global offices allowing for great exposure to international markets
    - leading technology
    - HR has a great variety of personal development courses
    - you will work with one of the most talented people in this business
    - a great variety of products allowing for a 360 degree exposure to asset classes
    - great place for a graduate or for one starting their career
    - bonus is based on clear appraisal system varying from 5-20% your salary for non-investment professionals

Cons- flat structure not allowing for senior staff to be promoted which contributes to high turnover and constant restructure
    - staff is treated differently depending of who is their line manager or which social activities one takes part on

Advice to Senior Management-Concentrate on managing down.
    - Schroders is filled with very talented people which requires a lot of incentive to keep them engaged and motivated.
    - Setting clear targets and promotion levels is fundamental for long-term career progression.
    - There can be a lot of improvement in terms of peer recognition in meetings, conferences, etc, which at the moment is very poor.

Worked for Schroders? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Schroders reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Schroders CEO George W. Mallinckrodt. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by Schroders employees.