Schryver Medical Reviews

Mark Schryver

1. Phlebotomist

Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Denver, CO

I have been working at Schryver Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love traveling from facility to facility. My supervisor is very reasonable and cares for his staff. Love my co workers. I am very happy here

Cons

My only true complaint is driving in severe winter weather. The highway could be closed, yet we are still expected to drive.

Advice to Management

Stronger communication would benefit all employees. Less opportunity for confusion. When on call and juggling a full board of Stats from one end of the city to the other while being the only phlebotomist for the shift, a text will come in for an eta. Reading and answering said text only hinders the amount of time you have to do the Stat. If driving, this involves stopping or exiting the highway to address the text. Time consuming. I also see it as a safety issue. If dispatch or accessioning knows you are the only phlebotomist, that you have a full board, you have greenroads and must drive slowly, and it may be snowing, you may be in traffic, you may have a very hard patient to get the blood from etc...All the eta inquiry does is slow you down. Common sense

2. Don't bother

Current Employee - Biller in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Biller in Denver, CO

I have been working at Schryver Medical (More than 5 years)

Pros

The only pro there is is that you can listen to your own music all day long and still get paid. There is no other nice thing that can be said about this poorly run company.

Cons

The people, the management, the total lack of ability of the employees being able to communicate in English, the back-stabbing - by co-workers as well as management, the threats made by management, the lack of stable work hours, the lack of ability to move up the company ladder. Lastly, this company is so incestuous you feel dirty just walking in the door.

Advice to Management

Walk down to the 5th floor and actually talk to the people who are doing the daily grind and actually working 40+ hours a week. See what is going on since the managers have no clue at all! In addition, instead of giving bogus typing tests - since you are going to hire the applicant no matter the outcome, give the applicant a test regarding whether or not they can comprehend English when it is spoken to them and can speak it and can read it as well. There are less than a handful of employees who can do all three!

Excellent Management Staff

Current Employee - Customer Relations in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Relations in Denver, CO

I have been working at Schryver Medical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay, great benefits, and the company is growing rapidly offering tons of opportunities for advancement. Hard work does not go unrecognized and the company is very fair. Management is beginning to make cultural changes and are recruiting higher caliber employees to join us. You get the benefits and stability of a large company with the entrepreneurial feel of a startup. We have potlucks and management brings in pizza and sandwich for us. I love it here.

Cons

The non-management staff that has been there for a long time has a strong sense of entitlement (which can be seen in some of these more uninformed reviews) and is not open to change -- even when the changes are new, state-of-the-art systems and processes changes that make everyone's lives easier.

Advice to Management

Stay the course.

5. Mobile Phlebotomy position

Former Employee - Phlebotomist in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Phlebotomist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Schryver Medical

Pros

This company is geared toward younger people, and offers decent benefits. When I started a year ago, it was a family atmosphere. There was a good team in place and the Phoenix office ran like a well-oiled machine.

Cons

As time went on, though, things seemed to take a negative turn. After a new team lead was put in place, people began leaving. Staff issues taken to office management went by the wayside, with the staff members being told the issues were their own issues. Office management seemed to turn a blind eye to most of what was occurring, specifically, favoritism and bringing on untrained personnel.

Advice to Management

Consider the staff that does keep the company functioning...the field personnel. Perhaps some respect from management to the line staff might make them want to stay on.

Worst job I've had!! If someone offered me a million dollars to go back, I WOULD NOT!!

Former Employee - Phlebotomist in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Phlebotomist in Oakland, CA

I worked at Schryver Medical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They give you their own car to drive. Except I barely fit in the car and you have "green roads", which was not fun to drive with.

Cons

I've had plenty of jobs in my life and this one by far was the worst. I worked there for almost a year and right before I left was one of the longest people working there, the location I was at was new and so many people left. I wish I could have left sooner. I worked every weekend for about 5 months and was treated terribly by my lead who was making the schedule, she gave newer people better schedules! She thought she was the queen, her "friends" she had, got great treatment and did whatever they wanted for quite some time. Also I had one woman here who harassed me constantly, I told my Lead and told the branch manager but nothing was ever done about it. She still talked down to me and said some really unprofessional inappropriate things that would get her fired anywhere else. She got away with treating even new people terribly. While she was training them telling them they are slow and shouldn't be at this job. Way to go! Scare more people off why don't you...trust me they will be happier. Also near the last month or two of working here I figured out that the men were making a lot more money, hourly, than the women (heard from a few guys I worked with, who were shocked how little I made), and the management lied saying we were all making the same and couldn't afford to give us a slight raise by the end of the year. This should not be happening in this day and time but it still is. I was furious when I found all this out! It's illegal! I know other companies that are similar are making over 10 dollars more than this place. Also if you want to work 10-14 hours every single night this is the place for you. If it's not don't even try. They are so understaffed and expect everyone to move like lightening, and drive 50 miles north and then 70 miles south in traffic and plus a car you can't drive a little over the speed limit in because of "green roads". And you are dealing with some patients who have dementia and make things take a while at nursing homes, and going to extra nursing homes because there isn't enough staff....yet still expect you to NOT get any overtime! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? It just made me so mad and stressed out while at this job. I don't know how they are still in business or how anyone could enjoy working here. Management was so negative about so much. I never will come back to this job. They do not care about their staff! The last straw I had was the 3rd shoot out in the area. I was probably a minute away from being right in the middle of it. When I told my Lead I was scared and didn't want to drive in Oakland at night anymore. She told me to suck it up, this is the job! Are you serious?? Yeah...I feared for my life yet they didn't care.

Advice to Management

Fire a lot of leads and management. They gossip about everyone, act unprofessional and are lazy, and you are letting them get away with it. Fire the people who get away with a bad job, yet they criticize the people who actually do their jobs and make up for what the lazies didn't do before!

7. This place will drive you to drink.

Former Employee - Lab in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Lab in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Schryver Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

What used to be pros when I started have become Cons. I can think of no reason I would want to work here.

Cons

Not given resources to do job required
    Unrealistic deadlines for minimal staff
    Too busy chasing a profit to care about quality staff
    Retaliation by management when issues
     are mentioned
    Very low rate of pay for industry
    They do whatever it takes to get rid of you once you no longer fit their agenda
    Management and sales set the expectations without even knowing if the current staff can successfully adapt

Advice to Management

First and foremost, you get what you pay for. Hiring new graduates because they are cheap and then expecting them to perform at the same level as someone with 10+ years of experience is ridiculous.
    Learn to take constructive criticism. Learning what The business is doing wrong is a prime opportunity to improve.
    Involve all employees in various decision making tasks. Remember it is the employees who will have to do whatever it is that is decided upon.
    Stop treating employees like they are expendable. One of the biggest wastes of money is hiring someone, training them and then deciding to get rid of them because they said something you didn't agree with or you decide you don't like them. And stop hiring warm bodies just to fill a position! Be selective and make sure the person fits the job.
    Evaluate your spending a little more closely. Spending money to train facilities to use the computer system the company spent a lot of money on and then not requiring facilities to use that system and expecting internal departments to compensate is not the definition of cost
    effective.
    Management needs to stop reacting to issues with emotion. Listen to the issue and provide guidance to resolve it.
    They talk about career advancement opportunities but there are very limited examples of people who have advanced.

8. Get ready to work A LOT!

Former Employee - Phlebotomist Mobile in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Phlebotomist Mobile in Denver, CO

I worked at Schryver Medical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They hired me on the spot

Cons

They were dishonest about the hours I would be working. I was told 2-10pm. More like 2pm-2am. Even though they pay overtime, it is really a 60 hr a week job. Too much for me.

9. Potential

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Schryver Medical full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Growth, great field/industry, and competitive in it's market. Potential for great jobs security.

Cons

Business model needs great improvements. Benefits are lacking and incentives are childish. I wonder if the CEO is really directing and running Schryver Medical anymore.

Advice to Management

The idea of this organization is stellar in my opinion. Also in my opinion, a move to halt growth and an intense investment in structure, direction and mission, will leverage a stable growth environment. I do not think that balancing the two is an option, unless there is an ability to invest in large amounts of outside consulting. I believe that this organization, which deals with medical billing (direct and insurance), must be flexibly. My opinion is that such a an organization that requires frequent changes, must have sound project management.

10. It is very difficult to work with management in this organization.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Schryver Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The co-workers! We worked together as a team to make sure the job was completed.

Cons

The biggest challenge is management. They were difficult to work with at times.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people that actually do the job. Work together to streamline workflow and schedules.

Worst job ever

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Schryver Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is nothing positive about this company

Cons

This place can be summed up in one word: Drama. Just about everyone here will stab you in the back. People are more concerned with rumors than work, even supervisors. A higher ranking employee at one time was even fired for sexual harassment and for whatever reason brought back and is again sexually harassing people. They are committing some serious crimes with all the verbal, sexual and physical harassment. If you have a problem don't expect to have it solved, management will witness it and walk right by ignoring it. I'm treated horribly but expected to come in on my days off and they, with a veil over it, threaten me. They never approve days off and pay is so low it's insulting. The only way people gain advancement is to be nasty, brown-nose and throw people under the bus; the people who actually work hard and play by the rules always end up taking the all the gruff for the people who can't seem to mind their own business and they are all the same people who have been there for years- and management is well aware of them but just doesn't care.

Advice to Management

This place has not hope. They only way I can see this place ever succeeding is to hire an outside company to do an assessment so there is a non bias party evaluating the higher ups and the rest of management. in my opinion, if this happened, they would clean house and everyone would be gone.