Schulte Roth & Zabel Reviews

2.9
Brian F. Schare

1. Good

I have been working at Schulte Roth & Zabel

Pros

Great pay, great fringe benefits

Cons

good benefits up until they reduced PTO days. dreadful yearly assessment.

Advice to Management

show more respect to the staff, stop taking away from the staff to supplement the attorneys

2. Paralegal in NYC office

I have been working at Schulte Roth & Zabel

Pros

The people here are very smart, very nice. Business casual attire, which is great at a law firm. Great benefits. Strong community.

Cons

There can be extremely long weeks, but that is to be expected. Not as much training as there should be.

3. Ok

I have been working at Schulte Roth & Zabel

Pros

Great market rep in AM

Cons

Lousy mgt and bad for women

5. Revolving door on the way to a hedge fund job

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Schulte Roth & Zabel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Investment management group offers great exposure to high-level financial services clients, including some of the largest hedge funds in the world. Firm has premier reputation in the hedge fund space.

Cons

Little opportunity for career development. Partners are reluctant to give an accurate assessment of an associate's chances of making partner. Most partners have no respect for associates' time outside the office. You are expected to respond immediately at any hour.

Advice to Management

The review process needs to be rethought.

6. Very corporate environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Schulte Roth & Zabel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good compensation and perks.

Cons

Too corporate and strict with everything.

Advice to Management

Loosen up! It will help the morale of your employees!

Very low moral due to poor management

I have been working at Schulte Roth & Zabel

Pros

Benefits were fairly competitive, support staff were great to work with.

Cons

Used to be a great firm to work for, currently going through changes that no longer makes them a great place to work for.

8. My experience at SRZ was positive and productive.

Former Employee - Intellectual Property Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Schulte Roth & Zabel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

SRZ treated their employees very generously. They constantly trained their employees on the latest computer programs. They gave excellent year end bonuses and wonderful summer and Christmas parties. They accommodated days off with floaters and were very compassionate when it came to medical disability.

Cons

My position at SRZ was in the Intellectual Property department. When I started there in 2001, the department consisted of approx. 3 partners and 20 to 30 attorneys, legal assistants and administrative assistants. By 2013, my department consisted of only 1 partner, 1 attorney and myself. Because Intellectual Property is a specialized field, there was no one in the firm that knew how to do the work or handle the time sensitive assignments if any one of us 3 were out. Vacation and sick time had to be revolved according to due dates.

9. Decent place to work if you have a nice boss.

Former Employee - Legal Secretary in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Legal Secretary in New York, NY

I worked at Schulte Roth & Zabel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They have good benefits and the HR Dept. tries to make you feel like a family, with only limited success

Cons

The crash hit Schulte hard: they froze salaries and laid off 15% of the work force. In 11/2013 they offered a buy-out to all their secretarial staff which almost 30% took. The ones who stayed feel over-worked.

Advice to Management

There are more things to running a business than raising partners' compensation by another point million dollars.

10. Great Colleagues to Work With in a Certain Practice Group

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Schulte Roth & Zabel full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

In a particular practice group, the partners & attorneys were considerate, supportive, provided challenging assignments and embraced teamwork. They also appreciated and respected vacation time and did not require you to call in while on vacation. There were a few attorneys from other practice groups I interacted with who were also considerate and supportive. The support staff were also hard working and fun to be around. In general, it was a very nice and supportive environment among my immediate colleagues.

In addition, SRZ had great benefits.

Cons

Support management was not supportive, were frustrating to work with and had poor leaderships skills. They made decisions that caused more problems and deflated morale. Best to avoid support management as much as possible and you'll be happier at SRZ.

Advice to Management

I suggest that Management make changes to support and hr management. I would also suggest that they provide management training in leadership skills. I understand some changes have already taken place, which is a good start.

11. Unfair compensation and promotions

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Schulte Roth & Zabel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They pay market salary for associates, or at least they did in 2010. And you get the biglaw name on your resume. .

Cons

They switched to a discretionary bonus in 2011, which surprised everyone, and they halved the bonus amounts announced in the bonus memo for associates who did not make a certain undisclosed number of hours OVER 2,000. I also know several people who were promised to make partner if they came on board, only to find out they missed out a year later when another person from their group was named instead. Also, do not get brought on as a staff attorney with the promise of being made an associate (or especially an associate with the number of years of experience you have - e.g. a third year), because it will never happen. If you are lucky they will make you a first year.

RSS Feed </> Embed