Schulte Roth & Zabel

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Brian F. Schare

My experience at SRZ was positive and productive.

Intellectual Property Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsSRZ treated their employees very generously. They constantly trained their employees on the latest computer programs. They gave excellent year end bonuses and wonderful summer and Christmas parties. They accommodated days off with floaters and were very compassionate when it came to medical disability.

ConsMy position at SRZ was in the Intellectual Property department. When I started there in 2001, the department consisted of approx. 3 partners and 20 to 30 attorneys, legal assistants and administrative assistants. By 2013, my department consisted of only 1 partner, 1 attorney and myself. Because Intellectual Property is a specialized field, there was no one in the firm that knew how to do the work or handle the time sensitive assignments if any one of us 3 were out. Vacation and sick time had to be revolved according to due dates.

Decent place to work if you have a nice boss.

Legal Secretary (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThey have good benefits and the HR Dept. tries to make you feel like a family, with only limited success

ConsThe crash hit Schulte hard: they froze salaries and laid off 15% of the work force. In 11/2013 they offered a buy-out to all their secretarial staff which almost 30% took. The ones who stayed feel over-worked.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are more things to running a business than raising partners' compensation by another point million dollars.

Great Colleagues to Work With in a Certain Practice Group

Legal Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsIn a particular practice group, the partners & attorneys were considerate, supportive, provided challenging assignments and embraced teamwork. They also appreciated and respected vacation time and did not require you to call in while on vacation. There were a few attorneys from other practice groups I interacted with who were also considerate and supportive. The support staff were also hard working and fun to be around. In general, it was a very nice and supportive environment among my immediate colleagues.

In addition, SRZ had great benefits.

ConsSupport management was not supportive, were frustrating to work with and had poor leaderships skills. They made decisions that caused more problems and deflated morale. Best to avoid support management as much as possible and you'll be happier at SRZ.

Advice to Senior ManagementI suggest that Management make changes to support and hr management. I would also suggest that they provide management training in leadership skills. I understand some changes have already taken place, which is a good start.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMany great, hard-working people among the legal and non-legal staffs.

ConsWorkload can get tough with long evening and weekend hours.

Unfair compensation and promotions

Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThey pay market salary for associates, or at least they did in 2010. And you get the biglaw name on your resume. .

ConsThey switched to a discretionary bonus in 2011, which surprised everyone, and they halved the bonus amounts announced in the bonus memo for associates who did not make a certain undisclosed number of hours OVER 2,000. I also know several people who were promised to make partner if they came on board, only to find out they missed out a year later when another person from their group was named instead. Also, do not get brought on as a staff attorney with the promise of being made an associate (or especially an associate with the number of years of experience you have - e.g. a third year), because it will never happen. If you are lucky they will make you a first year.

Once it went "corporate" it lost a lot of its appeal to me as an employee.

Pedal Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsBenefits ... Until becoming stingy in late 2013, subtracting personal and vacation days from support staff and doing away with longevity bonuses WHILE AT THE SAME TIME INCREASING WORK LOAD !

ConsIt once felt like family and that all parties mattered equally to the firm's success. Then it got too big, went corporate all the way and lost a lot in the process, IMO.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake decisions based on your as well as workers' needs ... not just for your bigger piece of the pie. Your firm will profit more, ironically, if you do.

Depressing place to work

ProsGood enough pay; it's a job and nothing else

ConsHR horrible. Little human interaction on a daily basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart acting like you actually care about your employees.

Dante's Inferno

Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsSome very smart workaholics to set an example

ConsToo much power currently concentrated in premium class jerks

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to the founders - there's a reason they were able to build a successful organization - current leadership is far below the standard set by the founders and should improve to keep and grow the franchise.

a long-time employee who took a buyout - srz no longer values its staff

Legal Secretary (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosthe staff is absolutely great

Conshad been a magnificent firm in which to work but no more. for one, cut benefits for staff - very toxic environment there now; HR is horrendous

Advice to Senior Managementtreat people as you would want them to treat you

Litigation Associate

Litigation Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsReputation of firm, particularly in the New York area, was helpful to my own reputation, and also to add to my resume. Firm resources were always available (day and night -- also a "con"). Interesting clients and interesting work.

ConsIt was a cut-throat environment, where few people seemed happy. When I smiled at a co-worker once, they asked if I was new to the firm. Litigation associates were really at the bottom of the totem pole, doing more grunt work than they would at other similarly-situated firms.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more than just lip service to a work-life balance.

Worked for Schulte Roth & Zabel? Contribute to the Community!