Schurz Communications

Updated February 6, 2015
Updated February 6, 2015
2.6

Todd F. Schurz

I enjoy where I work...employees stay a long time here.

Current Employee - Operations Engineering in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Operations Engineering in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Schurz Communications full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This company has a way of holding onto great talented and friendly people for many many years because it treats us very well. I enjoy going to work each and every day, which is refreshing. I am proud to a part of an award winning news and operations team. I look forward to many many many years ahead.

Cons

There are cons everywhere, but few if any here.

Graphic designer that created ads for magazines and newspapers all across the USA.

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in South Bend, IN

I worked at Schurz Communications part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay was negotiable and you were given raises consistently.

Cons

There was a day shift and a night shift of designers so you shared a desk with another person. The management was very young and inexperienced. Many times you would get in trouble for small things like forgetting a period in a sentence or for not talking to your co-workers enough. Many of the people there liked to bully others. It was a hostile work environment.

Listen to what your employees are telling you. When they ask for something, don't shrug it off like you are too good to talk to them. Pre-screen people before hiring them. And have a manager there on the night shift with some experience.

OK but slow to change

I have been working at Schurz Communications full-time

Pros

Employees are given a lot of autonomy. You can own your own job and do it well if you're a self-starter.

Cons

Lots of autonomy on the local level means employees are given a lot of freedom. But it also means the organization is slow to change and adapt to new techniques and technology.

Seeing the details of changes will be carried out is more important than saying that it will be done. Hiring consultants to do training doesn't change the organization itself.

Incompetent Management and Outdated Sales Techniques

Former Employee - Sales in South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - Sales in South Bend, IN

I worked at Schurz Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Gained more experience in the field

Cons

"Salary", Sales Techniques, Lack of Sales Training, Management and Promotions, No commissions until over 50+ sales have been made which can take up to a year!

Just because someone has been there longer, doesn't mean they are management material. Develop a real training program that involves management actually going with new hires to develop their skills, help them understand the concept of consultative approach.

Got fired for no reason given!

Former Employee - Outside Yellow Page Sales Representative in Petoskey, MI
    Former Employee - Outside Yellow Page Sales Representative in Petoskey, MI

I worked at Schurz Communications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

None! Product isn't used much anymore.

Cons

The yellow pages are not used much any more. The company needs to create something for the sales people to sell that people use.

Don't fire someone for no reason. I ended up homeless and losing everything.
    The management needs to think of their sales reps and families instead of themselves and pleasing their bosses.

Overall--It's OK

I worked at Schurz Communications

Pros

The health insurance.
    Owned by the same family for many generations.
    Very honest. They do not lie to you.
    Corporate management is very good.

Cons

The local general managers have much autonomy, which can cause problems if he/she is not totally competent.
    Some outside consultants are so relied on that they are virtually acting as the general manager and maybe even a department manager.
    Many employees are in management positions just because they have been there a long time.

To local managers--do not depend on an outside consultant as an all-knowing savior. No person is 100% correct all the time. They have their own agendas, and those agendas may not be the same as yours. Have the guts to make your own decisions.

Schurz Communications Photos