Schwan's

www.theschwanfoodcompany.com

Schwan's Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Dimitrios Smyrnios

Pros
  • My route had great customers, not all routes are that lucky(in 10 reviews)

• As well as all of the great people behind the scenes working on the operations crews(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Can be some long hours, because your customers have to be home for you to make a sale(in 36 reviews)

• upper management cares about numbers not the person(in 17 reviews)

Up and Down

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood first job out of fast food or grocery store employment. Must be single and have no family attachment. You will learn how to be used and not appreciated. Good to build character to move on to employment that will be challenging and rewarded properly. Schwans gave me something at a time in my life when I was down and out. I worked hard and for a time felt rewarded. But the company has very little character as a whole. There are very good people in small corners. Its a shame that the great leaders of the company have passed on. It's now just a shell of what it used to be. It will always be long hours and hard work which was never a problem for me. It's just that when you hear, after being there over four years and leading the depot in sales for three of those years, "you are not even a blip on Schwans radar", from the manager, you realize its time to move on.

ConsThe company changes your pay whenever they feel like it, so you can never be assured of anything. When they do this they give reasons only a moron would believe. Always about the customer in a way that the company would have you believe its your fault the situation is as dire as it is. In the hands of the right management team, is the only way you have any chance for success. This may all sound like sour grapes, some of it is, but it is more truth than anyone should find out for themselves. I only took the time because Glassdoor pops up in my email. It upsets me when I see a possible fake post from some manager at Schwans saying how great the company is. For most it is not. That is a fact. You will make 30 grand a year if your lucky and work 50-60 hours a week. I didn't, but i was not the norm.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know its a difficult business climate, but be a little more honest with your employees. Don't assume they have an intelligence level of a dog. No offense to dogs because they are typically treated with more care.

Schwans Lies and misleads people.

RSR (Current Employee) Jackson, MI

ProsGreat benefits, but pricey for what you get

ConsHere is what Schwans does to get you to work for them. They send you out with someone with highly productive routes. They say how everyone can achieve these results. Then you fall for the bait and hook. You are given a route that someone else ran into the ground. In Jackson MI we had reps violating the EBT rules and giving free items to customer for buying what the RSR asked them for. If you like myself are honest you wont break the law or rules and you route system falls apart. They also charge a 1.75 delivery fee. This fee is hidden to the customer by some RSR's. In the time I worked for Schwans I saw one RSR fired for drinking on the job and many others lying to customers like " We are having a sales contest and I need your support" when there is not a contest happening. Ask to see anything that shows a contest is actually happening.
         I do not want to come off ass a sour grape kind of guy, but I am saying the truth. Here is an example of other things Schwans does to its employees. We are required by the DOT to punch out and take a 30 minute break everyday. We are not to do ANY work while on break. Schwans tells us you have to make 10 calls per day to customers you are going to see that day and the next so they know you are coming. No "We cannot tell you to do this on your lunch break, but that would be the best time to call."
         Schwans DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THE SAFETY OF ITS EMPLOYEES!!!! When a new set of tires or a major safety repair concern that will affect their bonuses they will put the repair off. Example June Of 2013 the DOT was doing stepped up patrols for violations. When this week came the supervisor for the depot would not let me drive my truck one day during this time. I asked he why and he said well I know you told me your steer tires were bad, but they are unsafe now. He further said matter of fact I am afraid to drive the truck to get the tires changed. That tells you how much an employees safety matters.
         In closing you can make decent money at Schwans and they have great benefits. Just remember all that matters to them is money. You are just a means to get more.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate your truck fleet. Put the safety of your employees first. Stop saying it and do it.

Positive

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsGreat size company- not too big, not too small. Good people working in the field. Solid products and getting better. Good benefits also.

ConsPay could be better for the amount of work, but that's the life of commission sales. Also limited growth opportunities within the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

route sales representative

RSR (Current Employee) Billings, MT

Proswork with some real good hardworking people, have a great boss who care about us,
    get to know a lot of good people,

ConsThis used to be a great job, now it has become a struggle to go to work with a good attitude. I have worked for this company for 15 years and made chairman's club for 13 of them. Corporate now micro-manages everything and they have no clue what is going on at the ground level, I could probably get fired for writing this because it is against company policy for us to write or say anything derogatory about the company, but I believe that is against freedom of speech, I have already been reprimanded by upper-management for speaking my mind. This company is going down hill fast, and I expect it will be going up in flames soon.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at this company's past, it used to be a great company. You are so caught up with pushing everyone to on-line ordering and getting everyone's e-mail address that you are alienating our customers by this. let us RSR,s get back to doing our job and then maybe this company can be saved.

Horrible

Customer Sales Distributor (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsThis company has fallen so far down in the last five years i'm not sure there is anything positive to say.

ConsSupervisors micro manage from home. Had two raises in eight years. Pay is not competitive with similar jobs. Salary means you are expected to work 10-12 hour days at a minimum. Routes have gone to 20-25 deliveries a day with a 6 hour window to get them done. More and more is expected of you without anything extra in return.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually LEAVE your house and earn that 115k salary you get for doing absolutely nothing!!! You preach safety, yet we are told to drive unsafe trucks so the company can save repair cost!!! Safety should come before sales!!!

frustrating

Route Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsYou have the opportunity to build your route so that you can have a good income. Not locked into an hourly rate where someone else tells you what you're worth. 40% discounts on Schwans food. Plus you get to meet lots of great people on routes!

ConsNot nearly as much freedom as we had a few years ago. Upper management is micro-managing like crazy! Most of them have never run routes for Schwans and it shows! I understand that you have slackers for whom you have to hold their hands to get them through the day, but, this is nuts!

Advice to Senior ManagementTo those who came up with the "manifests" in Home Service and the people who approved them - get your heads out of your tech manuals and your rear-ends in the DRIVERS seat of a home service truck! Schwans needs to go through the "undercover boss" process immediately! You could do it internally and "save face."

On our way from good.... to great!

ProsGreat passion in the people that work here every day to make this a great company. Pride in who we are and where we are headed... Great products... and great focus -- every day, we are resolved to grow advocacy from our employees, customers and consumers!

ConsChange is always difficult... Some in our field have struggled to understand that what's good for the employee, but bad for the customer or consumer.. is ultimately bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep moving our business forward! Onward and upward!

Confused Company

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

ProsNew CEO seems to be listening to the employees. In the month's to come, his actions will tell the story of what this company will become.

ConsNo flexibility in work life balance, pay is poor in comparison to other companies in the same geographical area and work roles.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the turn of employees and micro management of your employees.

Lack of Integrity & Chasing Pennies to stay alive - STAY AWAY (Pizza share is on downward slope)

ProsFree food - for now at some places

Trying to knock off products others have created with a different twist might bring volume

ConsMediocre (at best) management - Operations / Finance
    Probably pointed to isolated areas where they are located and are left to compromise with the talent they get - many folks in these locations cannot work elsewhere so they remain / or they can only attract those in the back portion of their careers - to coast until retirement

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise the bar on management performance to deliver - not ONLY about the what you are doing - but HOW you are doing it.
    Sad state of affairs with most directors employed there - wake up and realize WHAT you DONT have

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Lack of Integrity Company

District Sales Manager (Former Employee)

ProsUsed to be the best company on Earth

Consbean counters and liars run the company now

Advice to Senior Managementfind another company to ruin...

Worked for Schwan's? Contribute to the Community!