Schwan's

Updated October 17, 2014
Updated October 17, 2014
2.5

Dimitrios Smyrnios

Pros
  • My route had great customers, not all routes are that lucky (in 16 reviews)

• The company has a new CEO and is making a push for a better work/life balance, i (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Some long hours on occasion and must work weekends or days off to cover for holidays (in 59 reviews)

• It takes every bit of 12 - 14 hours to get over the bottom of the line commision hump (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Schwan's was a fun place to work for many years.

Former Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Schwan's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for, I worked with awesome people, the product quality was second to none and the pay was good.

Cons

The constant leadership change at the top made it difficult at times to be on the same page with my peers.

Stay true to Marvin's vision and start driving growth again.

No direction

Former Employee - New Customer Sales Specialist
    Former Employee - New Customer Sales Specialist

I worked at Schwan's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Training was wonderful. Lots of freedom to tailor the position to your strengths. Great product to sell, but the delivery service needs updating to meet needs of younger consumer that want more instant gratification.

Cons

Unrealistic sales goals with no direct path to meet them. Useless, time consuming conference calls. Outdated in several ways and needs to be brought up to speed if they want to remain successful. Expectations constantly changing. New program so there is no clear cut way to do anything. More company standard marketing materials.

Get all igniters on the same page. Allow igniter to igniter communication between regional groups, so they can share what is working for them. When coming from sales managers perspective on conference calls, it doesn't carry as much weight. More event booking done by management.

The company is still figuring out the details on this position.. Great Food but management is all over the board

I worked at Schwan's full-time

Pros

The company has great benefits and great food. The company has a strong history and great intentions.

Cons

If you are looking for a position that allows work life balance this is not it!

Review the compensation package and structure.

Great company amidst massive transformation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marshall, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marshall, MN

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- New leadership
    - New energy
    - New momentum
    - Commitment to long term growth
    - Focused on enhancing operations and culture

Cons

- Not all employees want to make the hard changes necessary to turn the company around
    - Many still want to spend money recklessly on services and solutions they don't need rather than invest in the right areas (Advertising/Marketing and Sales)
    - Many at HQ are happy with their 30-35 hour weeks while our route professionals work 50-60
    - Plant employees need better pay and HR support

We need people who care about our customers and employee experience for our front line employees more than their cushy arrangements, especially in the HQ shared services and supply chain teams in Marshall and Bloomington, MN. Start running reports on who is actually doing the hard work and fire the rest. Consolidate and centralize functions that have too much redundancy (Finance, Product Innovation, Marketing, HR, etc.). Take your savings and invest in national advertising campaigns to create demand for our products by educating our target customers about why our products and solutions are so great. We have a great story to tell and huge upside growth opportunity. Let's go get it!

Good but not great.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Schwan's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are friendly and the work life balance is pretty good. The company is small enough that you get to know your VPs and you are encouraged to share your thoughts and ideas. Dimitrios, the new CEO, is making great changes to the culture and the way the company operates.

Cons

The pay is lower than the industry average. The systems are outdated and there is a lot of ambiguity. There are also a lot of employees that are too comfortable with their roles and are resistant to change.

Continue to improve the culture. Learn how to adapt to change.

Ok company but has gone downhill

Former Employee - Recruiter in Marshall, MN
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Marshall, MN

I worked at Schwan's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Great Heritage
    -Environment
    -Career Advancement
    -Strong technology department

Cons

- Low pay compared to work completed
    - Cliquey environment
    - Constant changes without thinking long term

Poorly managed company which leads to continual restructures and employee turnover.....

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Schwan's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pros are: diversified product lines, strong distribution system, good QA/QC resources

Cons

Cons are: Very little HR oversight of sales managers, lots of intimidation tactics used on employees, ongoing turnover in most departments, continual change of direction in company policies and priorities

Make your senior leadership accountable for their conduct and performance. Top management should be accessible to field employees and customers, so they get an idea of what is really going on, not just what their next in command tell them. Be consistent with policies and procedures. And....most importantly...treat good customers well! Unfortunately, right now this company is going downhill but they have such great potential.

Never a dull moment

Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible fun everyday is always different. Meet new people. Sell a great product and a great service. Feel good about what you are selling

Cons

Micro Management High Pressure Minimal Opportunities to develop sales skills

None

Saving money by cutting jobs. Currently lacks loyalty to long term employees.

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Strong brand, humble beginnings. Lots of amazing work with the communities in which we live and operate. Lots of opportunities to change jobs.

Cons

Supervisors and plant management spread to thin. Lofty expectations for a modest salary. Far too much saving money vs producing more goods and earning more money while maintaining spend.

Work with the people that changes affect most. Too many changes made from an office without understanding the impact on the front lines.

decent company to work for but the hours are long..12 hrs a day

Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Schwan's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

decent pay but you are a salaried position so you dont get paid for the overtime

Cons

long days and too much turnover

compact some routes and help the struggling routes like you helped others