Schwan's

Updated December 21, 2014
Updated December 21, 2014
2.5

Dimitrios Smyrnios

Pros
  • My route had great customers, not all routes are that lucky (in 16 reviews)

• The company has a new CEO and is making a push for a better work/life balance, i (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Some long hours on occasion and must work weekends or days off to cover for holidays (in 63 reviews)

• It takes every bit of 12 - 14 hours to get over the bottom of the line commision hump (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Used to be a great place to work

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work with some great people, represent outstanding products.

Cons

Business model may not be viable in today's marketplace. Company is technology challenged. Work/ life balance doesn't exist for field employees. Revenues have stagnated or declined for more than a decade. Senior management is a revolving door with little regard for input from field. Seems to lack any long term business strategy.

Consuming.

Former Employee - Territory Sales Leader
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Leader

I worked at Schwan's full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Every day is a new challenge as environment is constantly changing. Business model worked well under founder Marvin Schwan and for his successor Alfred because they cared about the employees as an extension of their own family.

Cons

Recent years, as much turnover at the top of the organization as there is at the entry level. Constant push to hit profit numbers to pad executive bonuses. Will work you 80+ hours a week. Not much opportunity for advancement. Company has been declining in customer base for 10+ years.

Listen to the front line people about how to run the company, maybe as an ESOP. Listen to the customers about what products they want to purchase. Sales should drive marketing not marketing pushing sales; listen to consumer demand and what the front line people that are in front of the customer are saying. They home office used to support the front line sales people and the business grew.

Its not for everyone

Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in West Salem, WI
    Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in West Salem, WI

I worked at Schwan's

Pros

If you love selling and love talking to people then this is the job for you. If you work hard and stay positive, carry a good attitude, you can make good money.

Cons

If you hate long hours, want to whine about your problems and can't handle people who have a bad day, this is not a job for you!

Help your salesmen stay positive

Enjoy my job, everyone works hard

Current Employee - Corporate Employee
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I work in one of the corporate settings, and I can't say enough good things about the people I get to work with, day in and day out. I believe most people in this company are truly passionate about the business. With 14K+ employees, you are going to have bad apples, but I believe the executive leadership and the senior leaders truly care about improving this. I feel like I am treated very fairly, I respect and trust my leader, and I believe in where we are headed. There has been a lot of change, and that is hard for some people, but I believe we are changing the right things for the right reasons.

Cons

Turning around corporate culture IS very difficult. No one else here is going to own your career growth -- that is up to you to manage. But some people have unrealistic expectations of how high in the organization they deserve to be. Length of time isn't going to get you promoted -- how you show up, how you execute, and how you contribute and perform is.

There is some whiplash from all of the change, but lately you have done a great job of communicating the reasons for a lot of it. The level of transparency (especially for a private company) is appreciated.

TSL

I worked at Schwan's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I really liked and enjoyed working for and with my sales and opps teams, we had a great group of guys and gals, a real solid core, probably the best depot team I had ever had the privilege to know or be a part of.

Cons

Upper management turnover, new hires form outside the company, core values became a thing of yesterday as well as sales and sales quotas, how can you run a sales company when the least of your concerns are sales?? Schwans was a great company to work for when I first hired in, even putting in the long hours on the route, because you knew that you would be rewarded for your efforts, now you go to work to try not to lose your job. looking forward to the day they appear on the news such as hostess did not too long ago.

what can you tell them, they know it all....good luck, you will need it!!!!

Long hours

I have been working at Schwan's

Pros

Great customers.
    Great co w workers
    Great product

Cons

Poor interaction with corporate.
    There is a 65 percent turnover rate and it's all to do with communication between rsr and the corporation

Open channels

Inventory

Former Employee - Warehouse in Pasadena, TX
    Former Employee - Warehouse in Pasadena, TX

I worked at Schwan's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A fun place to work at the Pasadena plant

Cons

Management did not have good direction. No coaching and training for entry and mid management levels. Salary is lower than average in foods industry. The company structure change so fast. It fun when Marvin alive

Need to understand the culture of employees. Be more focus on entry level management

Selling product to established customers and building new customers to increase pay

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative, Schwans in Millville, NJ
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative, Schwans in Millville, NJ

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Advancement within the company, have off on major holidays, at least two days off, great leadership, many of the leaders have worked their way up with the company, so they understand what it is like to run a route.

Cons

Long hours, but again, it pays off in the long run.

Great Place For Frontline Salespeople If They Can Handle The Hours

Former Employee - RSR/TSL
    Former Employee - RSR/TSL

I worked at Schwan's full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Sales is a numbers game, so pay attention to "Schwan's math". If you are presentable, manage your time correctly, do what you tell your customers you will do, then bank on this: you'll get in front of 60% to 70% of your customers, 50% of them will buy something. So for every 100 customers you get in front of, 30 to 35 will buy. Multiply the buying customers by the average ticket, and you'll see where the route is in sales. NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO, you will lose at least one customer per route day. So you need to find at least one new customer to maintain the sales level the route is at; therefore, NO MATTER WHAT, you need to add at least two new customers per day to grow sales. That's the math you need to understand when you are figuring out how to grow your income.

Fantastic products. 40% product discount if you order online. 401K with match. You aren't stuck in an office. You are alone 95% of the time, so if you are independent this is a huge perk.

Cons

Not hard work, but extremely long hours. Very difficult for many employees to have the work/life balance they need and starting rout days at 11:00 on struggling routes ain't the way to grow the business.
    No sick/personal days unless vacation is used.
    Very poor marketing plan - there has to be something besides schwans.com, catalogs, the yellow truck, and door knocking.

Data suggests that it is extremely unlikely salespeople are "made" due to training, no matter how great a training program is (and schwans HPDC sucks by the way). Salespeople ether have it or they don't.
    Take your focus off of spending money on training people to sell, and spend money on BUYING sales people thru growth incentives at the route level. Make sure those incentives pay REAL money, and don't have 12 hoops to jump through.

Join the modern business climate and MARKET your products. A decade of declining sales should tell you that focusing on operations is not enough. It is good to run as lean as possible, but come on, you have to admit that even though things work when sales people operate by the processes, you ain't hiring enough people that follow the processes. Great products you have, but you need to advertise. If you don't, then Home Service is dead in a decade.

Stop making a TSL's district have to make a profit number for the TSL's depot to be bonus eligible. Lots of companies pull that kind of crap in the name of "we are all one team." Guess what? It de-incentivizes people. You want to make a manager feel alienated? If you do, then make him/her accountable to expense numbers he/she has no control over. When you have someone achieving at their location pay them their bonus.

Good company

Former Employee - Market Research Analyst in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Market Research Analyst in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Schwan's full-time

Pros

Nice, friendly people, good working conditions, lots of opportunity growth.

Cons

Getting rid of rewards programs, long working hours, sometimes need to bring work home on the weekends. Less perks at work lately.

Get closer to your personnel, there is a big gap between top management and the rest of the team