Schwan's Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.0
Dimitrios Smyrnios

Pros
  • My route had great customers, not all routes are that lucky (in 16 reviews)

• My work-life balance is very good (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Very long hours (some days may be 12hrs (in 63 reviews)

• It takes every bit of 12 - 14 hours to get over the bottom of the line commision hump (in 14 reviews)

RSR

I worked at Schwan's full-time

Pros

Freedom to be out on the road without direct supervision. Pretty good company discounts great middle management at the depot, most have worked the position you are doing

Cons

long hours, usually 12 plus hour days having to cold knock on doors which is frowned upon in most neighborhoods low pay and bad commission setup

Advice to Management

Need to provide a better work/life balance for RSR's Change commission to better attract quality, younger employees offer more sales incentive contests

RSR

Former Employee - Route Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Route Sales Representative

I worked at Schwan's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Meet interesting people. Discounts on food.

Cons

Pay is terrible, hours are very long. I only averaged about 9 dollars an hour. They pay $100 a day and make earning commission nearly impossible. Constant inventory issues. I worked the 3 years. In that time I took a 25% pay cut.

Advice to Management

Follow through on promises.

Annonymous

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Safety is a major concern, and you will always go home the same shape you came to work.

Cons

Little to no training. Ordering devices are at least 12 years old and horribly outdated. Tech support is a joke. Pay is well BELOW the industry standard. Management will squeeze every last ounce out of you. You will rarely, if ever, be reimbursed if you have to spend your own money on the job.

Advice to Management

Spend some money updating technology. If you want more out of your people, pay more. The on boarding process is sub standard, many new employees are left to figure it out themselves. These are all part of the reasons why turnover is so high.

5. rsr

I worked at Schwan's full-time

Pros

Nice getting your route system and getting to have a very close relationship with your customers they become like family to you

Cons

Long hrs. No days off for being sick. Also very hard to take a vacation. When you do take days off you have to come in on the weekend to make up your day you missed.

Advice to Management

Care about the employees more.People get burned out and that why turnover is so high.

High turnover for a reason

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager/Route Sales Representative in Chester, VA

I worked at Schwan's (More than 3 years)

Pros

I believe in the history of the company and I really enjoyed the customer base and interacting with customers who love the product.

Cons

Management isn't great. I went through 4 managers in 5 years and the only one I liked was let go for putting his family before the job.

Advice to Management

Despite claims on attempts to make the business more RSR oriented, it is still not a family friendly company. I have never met anyone employed with the company for more than 5 years who was happily married (to the same person as when they started working for the company).

route sales rep

Former Employee - Route Relief Driver/Sales Representative in Medina, OH
    Former Employee - Route Relief Driver/Sales Representative in Medina, OH

I worked at Schwan's (Less than a year)

Pros

the company has great products they produce the best ice cream available in my opinion ,they are always looking to improve there products,they have great sales tools for there employees.

Cons

way to many hours ,new pay plan punnishes the smaller routes the old payplan took the daily average of that particular route so if you had 3 bad routes you could still make a decent commission off the other 2 routes per week the new pay plan now takes the weekly average of all 5 routes makeing the 2 decent routes worthless.

Advice to Management

take care of your drivers better increase the base salary and change the commission plan,the hours expected from the delivery drivers dont match the salary

8. Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Schwan's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employees invested in improving performance and outlook

Cons

Constantly changing strategies and organizational structure. Management states they are open to new ideas or differing opinions, but they are not.

Struggling company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Schwan's (More than 10 years)

Pros

You have some flexibility when it comes to making your schedule. Decent health benefits. You get a 20% discount on Schwan's products.

Cons

Did not get paid holidays. Worked on straight commission with no raises. Hard to take vacation days due to lack of coverage.

Poor Management

Current Employee - RSR in Rice Lake, WI
    Current Employee - RSR in Rice Lake, WI

I have been working at Schwan's full-time

Pros

Like the product and customer sales. If they don't touch your route you can eventually make a decent income. New CEO sure does help out the RSR with the changes being made.

Cons

High turnover. New management is needed to be with current needs of depo. Starting pay is different at each depo. Much decision making is based on their bonuses. So trucks go without needed maintenance and supplies.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to make surprise visits to depo and talk to RSR'S, get their input on how depo's are being managed. Maybe then there wouldn't be such a high turnover.

Average company

Pros

Good benefit package with vacation time

Cons

You work long hours with no free time during the week. If you break down your hourly rate it's not good

RSS Feed </> Embed