Schwan's Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
Dimitrios Smyrnios

Pros
  • My route had great customers, not all routes are that lucky (in 16 reviews)

• My work-life balance is very good (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Very long hours (some days may be 12hrs (in 63 reviews)

• It takes every bit of 12 - 14 hours to get over the bottom of the line commision hump (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great company! A lot of history in this company and they are seriously getting better! Entrepreneurial spirit needed!

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in West Frankfort, IL
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in West Frankfort, IL

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Huge commission possibilities. Weekly pay. Good benefits and vacation/holiday pay. Decent upward mobility. Like owning your own business without the hassles.

Cons

Two things, the equipment and an aging fleet of trucks. But I'm pretty positive and I know things will get better!

Advice to Management

Please work on improving communication. A knowledgeable sales staff will greatly help reps in all aspects of the job. Get your sales people to know their numbers and where they can improve.

2. N/A

Current Employee - Compensation Analyst in Marshall, MN
    Current Employee - Compensation Analyst in Marshall, MN

I have been working at Schwan's

Pros

Work environment and career opportunities

Cons

the work/life balance and location of corporate office

Advice to Management

N/A

3. Good company to work for

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Schwan's

Pros

Good pay and the benefits are excellent

Cons

Long hours make a family home life difficult

Advice to Management

Job share would ease some of the burden of long hours for employees

You have the opportunity to show what you are really worth because you determine your paycheck.

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Scottdale, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Scottdale, PA

I have been working at Schwan's

Pros

You get recognized and rewarded for the work that you do. Stress levels are near zero and your pay is what you choose it to be. If you do what they tell you to do, you will be living well shortly. From Day 1 my pay was nearly double my previous employer(which is much bigger than Schwans) and I've never looked back in five years!

Cons

Long hours are required to successful. People looking for 8 hour days need not apply. Family time is at a premium when you are away from home 12, 14 or sometimes 16 hours a day.

Advice to Management

Make more sales training materials available for new employees and tell prospective employees one more time how much time and energy they will need to spend in order have a comfortable lifestyle.

6. Great Opportunity

Current Employee - CSM
    Current Employee - CSM

I have been working at Schwan's

Pros

I spent 20 years as a professional food buyer as well as in management. I always said, if I ever went into sales, it would have to be with products that I had used & believed in. Schwan's was one of those companies. When I made a career change, I went with Schwan's. I enjoy the challenge & meeting people. I like addressing a customer's needs, whether it is a business or a residence. The product-line has great quality that I can be proud of. I can honestly say I haven't met anyone, within the tiers of corporate management, who failed to be supportive of employees ... know their job, offer advice,etc. The company continues to thrive, because it has a good foundation for its employees to build on. I am moving up and I love my job!

Cons

The job demands long hours, but this is true with any company if you are working sales/marketing (especially in the food industry). However, a lot of jobs demand long hours, weekends and/or holidays. If you don't believe me, ask a nurse, a cop, EMS, firemen, a chef, etc. It helps to keep things in perspective.

great

Current Employee - RSR in Bend, OR
    Current Employee - RSR in Bend, OR

I have been working at Schwan's

Pros

You get back what you put in. this job requires personal drive to be great. If you are just looking for a paycheck look somewhere else. If you like a challenge and want to be the best and have people skills, man, this job is awseome!

Cons

Not for a young family or with young kids. Those who thrive at Schwans put in long hours to build the business. Done it for a couple years now and I have never made more money than what I make today! This job will show you what your made of.

Advice to Management

I felt intimidated by the application and job explanation when I was applying. Sure glad I didn't give up.

Professional Home Delivery business

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benifits, 20% food discount for employees, great work ethic

Cons

For those that don't like 12 hour plus days..

Advice to Management

Continue to hire individuals with good old fashion hard work ethic

Great Family Company

Current Employee - Recruitment Administrator in Marshall, MN
    Current Employee - Recruitment Administrator in Marshall, MN

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am the third generation in my family to work at Schwans - we started in 1955 and we're still here. The business values laid out by Marvin are still strong. There is opportunity for advancement, strong leaders who care about the growth of the business and the growth of employees, great benefits, and best of all a 40% discount on the food.

Cons

In my position, none, but I recognize that many of our opportunities require a lot of hard work and dedication - but anyone truly committed to success can find it at Schwan

10. Consumer Brands Minneapolis based position

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strong leadership trying to do the right thing to transform the business and fix the business for sustainable long term success. Ability to make an impact and a lot of exposure to senior leadership. Competitive benefits Focus on culture and values

Cons

Lack of bonus during business transformation.

Advice to Management

Stay the course - transform the business for the long term versus being short term focused.

Food Scientist-R&D corporate

Current Employee - Food Scientist in Marshall, MN
    Current Employee - Food Scientist in Marshall, MN

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good R&D team, very helpful colleagues. For Schwans, Helping one other is the theory to succeed. Good compensation and benefits, good time off. Your good work is recognized, encouraged and rewarded here. This is my 5th Job and so far the best Food company I have ever worked for!!! I am glad to work for schwans. Good management and bosses are ready to help you when you are stuck or you have roadblocks in projects. Overall Great company to work for!!! GREAT VISION AND GREAT VALUES!!! Supports Healthy Quality Frozen food over profit.

Cons

Every company needs improvement, no company is 100%. Sometimes work load is high but overall less stress annually.

Advice to Management

Techs enjoy working here, need better organization as far as utilization of techs is concerned.

RSS Feed </> Embed