Schwan's

Updated December 21, 2014
Updated December 21, 2014
2.5

Dimitrios Smyrnios

Pros
  • My route had great customers, not all routes are that lucky (in 16 reviews)

• The company has a new CEO and is making a push for a better work/life balance, i (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Some long hours on occasion and must work weekends or days off to cover for holidays (in 63 reviews)

• It takes every bit of 12 - 14 hours to get over the bottom of the line commision hump (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Enjoy my job, everyone works hard

Current Employee - Corporate Employee
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I work in one of the corporate settings, and I can't say enough good things about the people I get to work with, day in and day out. I believe most people in this company are truly passionate about the business. With 14K+ employees, you are going to have bad apples, but I believe the executive leadership and the senior leaders truly care about improving this. I feel like I am treated very fairly, I respect and trust my leader, and I believe in where we are headed. There has been a lot of change, and that is hard for some people, but I believe we are changing the right things for the right reasons.

Cons

Turning around corporate culture IS very difficult. No one else here is going to own your career growth -- that is up to you to manage. But some people have unrealistic expectations of how high in the organization they deserve to be. Length of time isn't going to get you promoted -- how you show up, how you execute, and how you contribute and perform is.

There is some whiplash from all of the change, but lately you have done a great job of communicating the reasons for a lot of it. The level of transparency (especially for a private company) is appreciated.

Great company amidst massive transformation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marshall, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marshall, MN

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- New leadership
    - New energy
    - New momentum
    - Commitment to long term growth
    - Focused on enhancing operations and culture

Cons

- Not all employees want to make the hard changes necessary to turn the company around
    - Many still want to spend money recklessly on services and solutions they don't need rather than invest in the right areas (Advertising/Marketing and Sales)
    - Many at HQ are happy with their 30-35 hour weeks while our route professionals work 50-60
    - Plant employees need better pay and HR support

We need people who care about our customers and employee experience for our front line employees more than their cushy arrangements, especially in the HQ shared services and supply chain teams in Marshall and Bloomington, MN. Start running reports on who is actually doing the hard work and fire the rest. Consolidate and centralize functions that have too much redundancy (Finance, Product Innovation, Marketing, HR, etc.). Take your savings and invest in national advertising campaigns to create demand for our products by educating our target customers about why our products and solutions are so great. We have a great story to tell and huge upside growth opportunity. Let's go get it!

Great company to work for! I loved working there and would still be there if they hadn't sold their call center.

Former Employee - Motivational Coach/Trainer in Marshall, MN
    Former Employee - Motivational Coach/Trainer in Marshall, MN

I worked at Schwan's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's a very positive environment - call center management was upbeat, friendly and helpful. They give you every opportunity to move up in the company and help you develop the tools that you need to do so! Again, great place to work!

Cons

Honestly, everything was great about Schwans. The only thing I can think of to say against them, is that I feel its was a bad move on their part to outsource their call center... but they know that themselves now..

Get that call center back!! Since I left, I've heard so many complaints about how the quality of the customer service has gone downhill. The new company's retention is horrible, and the employees just don't learn/do their jobs well! And, by all means, CALL ME when you do! i'll be more than happy to come back!

Great job if it fits

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Cranberry, PA
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Cranberry, PA

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of independence. Company puts trust in individuals. Great products that are easy to sell. Good support from marketing department and online orders count for same commission as at the door orders. Get to be outside and moving.

Cons

Hours per day are long. Four, 11 hour days, is the goal, but sometimes things go wrong and you have to work longer, especially when you first start and are learning the routes.

On our way from good.... to great!

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great passion in the people that work here every day to make this a great company. Pride in who we are and where we are headed... Great products... and great focus -- every day, we are resolved to grow advocacy from our employees, customers and consumers!

Cons

Change is always difficult... Some in our field have struggled to understand that what's good for the employee, but bad for the customer or consumer.. is ultimately bad.

Keep moving our business forward! Onward and upward!

Fantastic Company!

Current Employee - Human Resources in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Dynamic organization, cares about its people, good work/life balance, fun initiatives to work on

Cons

None really. We are working out a lot of the issues within Schwans and I have confidence in our senior leadership.

Very Possitive

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great Boss with a good understanding of position

Cons

longer day's and work week

none

20 plus years

I have been working at Schwan's

Pros

Awesome people! Great values-hard work, enthusiasm, helping one another, growth and integrity. If you posses those and put forth effort you can make it.

Cons

Seriously I can't think of any, I started out knocking on doors and have been promoted 6 times and have zero regrets.

Continue to make ordering our products easier for consumers and easier for our salespeople to deliver those products.

Food Scientist-R&D corporate

Current Employee - Food Scientist in Marshall, MN
    Current Employee - Food Scientist in Marshall, MN

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very good R&D team, very helpful colleagues. For Schwans, Helping one other is the theory to succeed. Good compensation and benefits, good time off. Your good work is recognized, encouraged and rewarded here. This is my 5th Job and so far the best Food company I have ever worked for!!! I am glad to work for schwans. Good management and bosses are ready to help you when you are stuck or you have roadblocks in projects. Overall Great company to work for!!! GREAT VISION AND GREAT VALUES!!! Supports Healthy Quality Frozen food over profit.

Cons

Every company needs improvement, no company is 100%. Sometimes work load is high but overall less stress annually.

Techs enjoy working here, need better organization as far as utilization of techs is concerned.

Amazing

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Schwan's as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

It is defiantly a large company with a small company feel. During my internship I became a member of the food service "family". I had so much fun an got to experience many things that you don't experience in a regular internship. I met and spoke with our CEO and CHRO extensively. I believe I made some great connections and some good friends. The college recruiters were very receptive of ideas to make the program better.

Cons

I would have liked more free ice cream (because it is that good) and maybe more group lunches.