Schwan's

Updated December 21, 2014
Updated December 21, 2014
2.5

Dimitrios Smyrnios

Pros
  • My route had great customers, not all routes are that lucky (in 16 reviews)

• The company has a new CEO and is making a push for a better work/life balance, i (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Some long hours on occasion and must work weekends or days off to cover for holidays (in 63 reviews)

• It takes every bit of 12 - 14 hours to get over the bottom of the line commision hump (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Do Not Get Suckered In

I have been working at Schwan's

Pros

Employees get extra reward points on purchases which comes in handy. The discount on products is okay, but better when paired with the rewards points. Decent food.

Cons

Work 60-80 hours a week. Routes take months to years to build up and get a good customer base. At nine months, you'd expect to make more than $350 a week considering all the hours, but don't bank on that unless you have a great route. Long hours means no family time what-so-ever. Come home, eat dinner, go to bed and then back to work. You are basically the company's slave.

Stop treating your drivers like your servants. Consider changing the commission rates or switching to hourly pay because my family is not surviving on the pay given now. I can pull in $1000 two days a week but am still getting next to nothing on my paycheck. Start listening to what the customers want. Stop making all these fancy foods and wasting your money to "revamp" them when they don't sell. But overall, treat your drivers better. They're people with families and you're making them feel like nothing.

You DON"T want to work here!!!

I worked at Schwan's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Being a customer is great. The food is top quality and they have many items you can not get in the grocery stores.

Cons

Want to be treated like a brainless robot? Want to work 14 hour days for less than minimum wage? Want to have a route that is micromanaged by corporate people that have never run a route in their lives? Then this is the place for you!

It's simple! Treat the people that actually run your business with the respect that you would want to be treated with.

too many hours no time for life pay cuts working while injured no personal caring corporate all the way

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bakersfield, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bakersfield, CA

I worked at Schwan's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

customers working outside ability to increase sales

Cons

driving a truck working in bad weather new manager 12 to 14 hour days the way they terminate you and yet not another that had more violations their matrix where they tell you you can service a customer and be on your way in 3 minutes

you go get in a truck and follow your manifest and see if you can do it get out of your office let the drivers manage their own routes like they used to instead of being computer generated rememberer we are human beings !!!!!

Dont do it!

Current Employee - Delivery Driver/Customer Service Representative in Bolingbrook, IL

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

None anything else they tell you is a lie!

Cons

They tell you the pay is good then once you get your first check you find out its only minimum wage! No sick days, no personal days no benefits from day one.it's all a lie! Dont waste your time!

You shouldn't mislead people this way! And some sort of investigation needs to be done on this company!

Do your research!

I worked at Schwan's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good co- workers. Good customers.

Cons

Revolving door...scratch that revolving room of management, and employees. No decent time off. Work life balance.

Pay attention to employees. Change your entire business model. The job could be done in a 40 hour work week if you weren't a greedy corporation. You would keep a lot more employees with a shortened work week and higher pay, and they would probably do stellar work. You alienate your employees by keeping them on routes for too long.

Horrible work to life balance for the salary received.

Former Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Salem, OR

I worked at Schwan's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Weekends off and being on your own without a boss breathing down your neck all day.

Cons

Long hours! There were days that I would put in 12 plus hours and make less than mininum wage. Management at my depot was terrible! Inconsistent pay from week to week was difficult. Having to rely on customers to be home within the time windows that were set by them was very frustrating.

Listen to your employees!! Do not talk over them and act like you know what they are going to say and giving an answer that solves nothing!!!

Poor management- toxic culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Schwan's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fairly low stress from a work perspective. Politics and dysfunctional leadership made the job more challenging.

Cons

Unfair practices.
    Toxic environment/culture/leadership.
    Focus on the wrong things (people who abuse others to get results vs. the actual good work others do that aren't backstabbing colleagues).

Make sure you are talking with all involved and not just focused on higher level management and what they state to be the truth. Very toxic in some departments. Illegal firing practices from what was observed.

Company that has not kept up with the changing landscape.

I worked at Schwan's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nothing. Dead town with a dying company.

Cons

Just general backwards way of dealing with stuff. The number of meetings they have in this place is truly astounding. It is a wonder anything actually gets done.

None, otherwise this will just result in another meeting that will cost the company more money.

Long hours, terrible pay

Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Harrison, AR
    Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Harrison, AR

I worked at Schwan's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

40% discount on products. It is good quality food, but that's all I can say for them

Cons

You work a minimum of 12 hours in a day, for very little money. Sure, you make more when you get past the $900 point for a day's sales, but even then it's lackluster. Management sucks, one day I forgot to take part in a conference call and I received a tongue lashing from my supervisor. And you'd better keep a close eye on your DOT logs, otherwise you're going to be forced to take unpaid days off. Just take my advice, AVOID SCHWAN'S AT ALL COSTS.

Switch to hourly pay. Quit being greedy hogs and start paying overtime!

RSR

Current Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative
    Current Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My customers have became my close friends over the years. Work on the road without supervision. Good Benefits, if you can get passed the deductibles.

Cons

Upper level management seems to want to take our pay away year after year. Upper level management seems to not know a thing about how to make a company profit. All they know is how to make the RSR jump thru hoops to to collect daily pay. equipment needs updating bad. Do not work here if you value family life. 14 hour days suck! You might make minimum wage for the hours that you will put in.

Stop trying to make RSRs build new customers all the time. Concentrate on finding quality customers not quantity of customers. Offer RSRs bonus for each $50 order they get. When you start rewarding the RSRs you will find they will sell more food.