Schwan's

Updated November 14, 2014
Updated November 14, 2014
2.6

Dimitrios Smyrnios

Pros
  • My route had great customers, not all routes are that lucky (in 16 reviews)

• The company has a new CEO and is making a push for a better work/life balance, i (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Some long hours on occasion and must work weekends or days off to cover for holidays (in 59 reviews)

• It takes every bit of 12 - 14 hours to get over the bottom of the line commision hump (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible work to life balance for the salary received.

Former Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Salem, OR

I worked at Schwan's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Weekends off and being on your own without a boss breathing down your neck all day.

Cons

Long hours! There were days that I would put in 12 plus hours and make less than mininum wage. Management at my depot was terrible! Inconsistent pay from week to week was difficult. Having to rely on customers to be home within the time windows that were set by them was very frustrating.

Listen to your employees!! Do not talk over them and act like you know what they are going to say and giving an answer that solves nothing!!!

Poor management- toxic culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Schwan's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fairly low stress from a work perspective. Politics and dysfunctional leadership made the job more challenging.

Cons

Unfair practices.
    Toxic environment/culture/leadership.
    Focus on the wrong things (people who abuse others to get results vs. the actual good work others do that aren't backstabbing colleagues).

Make sure you are talking with all involved and not just focused on higher level management and what they state to be the truth. Very toxic in some departments. Illegal firing practices from what was observed.

Company that has not kept up with the changing landscape.

I worked at Schwan's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nothing. Dead town with a dying company.

Cons

Just general backwards way of dealing with stuff. The number of meetings they have in this place is truly astounding. It is a wonder anything actually gets done.

None, otherwise this will just result in another meeting that will cost the company more money.

Long hours, terrible pay

Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Harrison, AR
    Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Harrison, AR

I worked at Schwan's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

40% discount on products. It is good quality food, but that's all I can say for them

Cons

You work a minimum of 12 hours in a day, for very little money. Sure, you make more when you get past the $900 point for a day's sales, but even then it's lackluster. Management sucks, one day I forgot to take part in a conference call and I received a tongue lashing from my supervisor. And you'd better keep a close eye on your DOT logs, otherwise you're going to be forced to take unpaid days off. Just take my advice, AVOID SCHWAN'S AT ALL COSTS.

Switch to hourly pay. Quit being greedy hogs and start paying overtime!

RSR

Current Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative
    Current Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My customers have became my close friends over the years. Work on the road without supervision. Good Benefits, if you can get passed the deductibles.

Cons

Upper level management seems to want to take our pay away year after year. Upper level management seems to not know a thing about how to make a company profit. All they know is how to make the RSR jump thru hoops to to collect daily pay. equipment needs updating bad. Do not work here if you value family life. 14 hour days suck! You might make minimum wage for the hours that you will put in.

Stop trying to make RSRs build new customers all the time. Concentrate on finding quality customers not quantity of customers. Offer RSRs bonus for each $50 order they get. When you start rewarding the RSRs you will find they will sell more food.

It is a very rewarding sales job. They add many enticing features and benefits for working with the company.

Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Madisonville, KY
    Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Madisonville, KY

I worked at Schwan's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employees get to travel and see many different people. Sales incentives and commissions are good.

Cons

Very long hours. 12 hour shifts five and sometimes six days a week. If you are single go for it. If you are committed to anything like, family, kids, school, etc... forget about it! no room to advance even if you have a bachelors or masters degree.

Take better care of the employees. Pay them better for their long hours. or cut their hours like you have their pay. four different compensation packages in five years is ridiculous. And with the economy like it is... It's not always the salespersons fault for not making a sale. I know its business, but management should have a heart, some compassion, and better understanding.

Horrible Hours, Horrible Management, Horrible Policies. Do I need to say more?

Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Eau Claire, WI
    Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Eau Claire, WI

I worked at Schwan's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best things are working here are product discounts, working with customers who turn out to be good friends, and not having a manager hover over your shoulder.

Cons

These are some things about dealing with Schwans...

Dealing with Time Windows (Service Metric #1)- 70% or better. Customers mostly are home various times of day, hurts if we stop early and don't get a sale.
    Dealing with On Location (Service Metric #2)- 90% or better. Sometimes we had customers call us say they weren't going to be home or didn't need anything. We had to DRIVE within a 1/2 mile of the customers location so we could be within this metric. Then the manager barks at us saying we "No Sale'd" them a couple blocks away. Harassment from upper management saying we didn't do our job.
    Dealing with serviceability (Service Metric #3) 90% or better. We had to complete our routes and stop at most of our customers places. If a truck were to break down and you couldn't complete your route for that day it counted against you and you had to make up the route. How can this be your fault?
    If you fall underneath these metrics you do not get your $50 incentive for that day.

Speaking of terms of salary. You receive $50 daily pay for doing your job, plus $50 if you reached your metrics. Then in terms of commission anything under $900 is 1% commission, $900-$1000 is 2.5%, $1000-$1100 is 3.5%, $1100-$1200 is 5%, $1200-$1300 is 7%, $1300-$1400 is 8%. Now you get the picture, but wait there is more to this, it's not a daily commission its a weekly commission. So when you take over a battered route you could end up with a couple nice days. Say for example you made $930 on Monday, $1040 on Tuesday, but on Wednesday your day ended up with $630, then on Thursday you rebounded at $920, and Friday you did $887. Your weekly sales total was $881.40, great job not quite. You would receive $250 for your weekly total, plus $250 if you got all your metrics met. So we're at $500, plus your sales commission which breaks down to $881.40, 1% of that is $88.14. So your looking at $588.14 for a paycheck for the week.

Breaking down number of hours is one thing you need to look at for working at Schwans. If your on route you need to attend a weekly meeting usually held on Mondays, The meetings consist of a video that talk about upcoming sales, and a safety message. Sometimes they come on and talk about how the company is doing and sometimes its hard to chew because they talk about how poorly everyone is doing. They also have special contests that people can win. Usually there is only one winner per region which makes it kind of hard unless there is a district contest. Most contests are won by people who have been with the company for some amount of time and don't have to work as hard as you. Getting back on topic on hours, you have no social life outside of work, you topically work from 830 in the morning to about 930-945 in the evening. Depending how far your depot is from your route. Some guys have routes that are 30-45 minutes away. The in town routes are usually reserved for people who are team players and who have been with the company for some time. If you work 13 hours a day for 5 days that is 65 hours.

So breaking down your pay you made $581.40 divide that by 65 hours, what do you come up with? $8.95 Better the minimum wage but definitely not worth it for the amount of hours you put in.

As you can see this is why many people have quit Schwans or plainly do not like working for Schwans. This is just one aspect of the job. Please do not work for this company. The company tries everything to encourage you to stay. The manager will even offer you a helping hand but then your back to square one when you have a couple customers that choose not to continue their Schwans service.
    I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP THIS IS THE TRUTH. I have worked for this company for 2 1/2 years. I got tired and decided to work for a company that values family and a decent wage.

Listen to what I stated. Do something about this or else your company will fail.

Overworked, underpaid and unappreciated. Unacceptable when other corporations care about work/life balance

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Reno, NV

I worked at Schwan's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Minimal supervision, the opportunity to encounter a diverse number of personalities.

Cons

Adversarial relationship with management, low pay, long hours with a shady overtime exemption, incredibly high turnover

Improving the workplace environment has to be cheaper than constantly hiring and training new people. Try it. Be more flexible with time off. Offer raises or realistic incentive pay. Entertain ideas presented by employees. Be less rigid and more horizontal. Industry talent is attracted to other entities because this company's corporate culture is archaic. Question from the inside as to why your growth is stagnant instead of blaming problems on competition and rising costs.

good food, long days, pay change was a step back and the vacation pay is worse!

Former Employee - Schwans RSR in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Schwans RSR in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Schwan's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great customers, food, and employee discount

Cons

long hours, poor management, and do not repair equipment in a timely fashion

quit micro managing!

The workers are very well liked.

Former Employee - Schwans RSR in Glendale, AZ
    Former Employee - Schwans RSR in Glendale, AZ

I worked at Schwan's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Once you leave the depot you are management free.

Cons

No paid holidays-yes this means all Federal holidays that virtually every other place of business pays you to have off Schwans does NOT. I still cannot believe that this is possible in America today, it speaks very well of how much they value the people that work for them.

Wake up!!!