Schwan's

Updated January 24, 2015
Updated January 24, 2015
2.5

Dimitrios Smyrnios

Pros
  • My route had great customers, not all routes are that lucky (in 16 reviews)

• The company has a new CEO and is making a push for a better work/life balance, i (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Some long hours on occasion and must work weekends or days off to cover for holidays (in 63 reviews)

• It takes every bit of 12 - 14 hours to get over the bottom of the line commision hump (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

RUN do not walk away from this company

Former Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Benton, AR
    Former Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Benton, AR

I worked at Schwan's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working alone all day with no one to look over your shoulder. Having nice customers who buy from you each time you dive up to their home.

Cons

Long hours and low pay. They tell you that you can make $40,000 to $50,000 a year, not so fast!! I worked at least 14 hour days and brought home maybe $350 a week sometimes less. The pay structure sucks and was invented by a mad man. You get $50 if you show up and do your route that day. Then you get another $50 IF your matrix is good. For example if you stop at your customers house outside of the 2 hour time window that it is set for, you get a ding. If you are stopped by your customer along the road somewhere and sell to them there instead of at their house, you get a ding. If during the course of the day your customer calls you and tells you not stop by today and you don't take the time to stop by their home and no sell them, you get a ding. It is easy not to make your matrix in a day so, it is also easy for the company to pay you $50.00 for a 14 hour day. Much of the time you have to be pedal to the metal just to make your time windows. Then they complain if you didn't get any new customers that day. If you like a family life, forget about it. Also if you do make the plunge and join their band of unhappy drivers and then you find other employment, do not put in a notice. They will fire you on the spot for giving a notice. I saw one review that said if you are looking for a paycheck, look somewhere else. I second that! I gave three years of my life and every time I tried to take things into my own hands to grow my route, I was stopped by Corp. They want to tie your hands and grow your route the way they want you to grow the route. While at Schwans I could not earn enough money to pay the bills. They will tell you that you get paid commission but you will get 1% up to $900 in sales. B.F. Deal! That's $9. I say again, THAT'S $9. More times than not, you will not sell $900 of expensive frozen food in one 14 hour day. If you get above $900, they will bump you up a percent for every $100 you go over $900. I now work for a company where I am making on average $2000 a week. I'm able to do this because I am not being head back anymore. I have more time to spend with my family. I am home for dinner every night at a reasonable hour, not 10:00pm or later.

You people in Minnesota need to take a reality check or your company. Pay your people, listen to them. When I quit, I thought I was done with you but noooo! I kept getting letters to cease and desist from your Corp attorney. For what? I sell health insurance now not food. I have a couple of Schwans customers that wanted health insurance. For the most part my target geographic is not your target geographic. I seek out small business owners not poor people on EBT who a blowing all there food stamp money on your expensive frozen high sodium food. That's one reason why you drivers are so poorly paid and that's because you don't target the right people, you don't advertise, you don't allow the drivers to take real control of their routes. Lose the matrix system, let the drivers have contests with their customers to keep them involved. Stop the new customer contests, they don't work. All you end up with is customers that are not quality customers. I would be willing to bet that if you took off the shackles and let the the drivers build and work their routes, you would see an increase in production.

Still operating in early 20th Century before unions

Former Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Monroe, WI
    Former Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Monroe, WI

I worked at Schwan's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Out in the field away from management. Great products. Great customers.

Cons

I do not have enough space but briefly, the hours are way too long for the pay scale. The company talks about family but they must mean broken families,. You live for the weekend because you work 12-14 hours a day. Weather can be tough but that is the least of the problems. IF you cant find a better job than this, you are not looking. Once you start working there it is very hard to get out because you are always working so you cant find time to interview. I was there 4 years. What a nightmare. Pay no attention to any favorable reviews you read here. Seriously...

Go out there and ride a route for a month and you will see what I am talking about.

Loss of time with family and friends

Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Springdale, AR
    Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Springdale, AR

I worked at Schwan's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fellow co-workers who did stick with all the turmoil, long hours, terrible General Manager, were a great bunch of guys. The loyal customers were a pleasure to deal with as one got to know them, their children & pets. I still see many of past customers in the community and am thankful that I treated all of them with respect & integrity

Cons

Outdated business model, aging loyal customer base, quality food but unfortunately overpriced, retention rate of only 20-30% on newly activated customers, outdated technology with hand held computers that constantly froze and crashed, min 60 hour work week, only 2 holidays per year, no sick days, poor local management

Need to stop changing the pay structure every year, consolidate and eliminate lower producing routes, do some kind of advertising and stop relying so much on the route drivers to add new customers. The turnover rate of route drivers and customers will be the downfall of Schwan's.

Way too many hours for way too little wage. commission divided by hours worked = less than minimum wage

Former Employee - Customer Sales Distributor in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Customer Sales Distributor in Iowa City, IA

I worked at Schwan's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You are responsible for your self and there is little supervision once trained. Good people to work with in my depot. Working with the stores was a good experience.

Cons

I was a Customer Sales Distributor. Truck is loaded, hit the road at 5:30 am, make your route stops, enter next week's orders on a really really old portable pos. That's point of sale, although the other use of the acronym fits. Get back to the depot, record hours from meter on truck, write up daily report and fax to wherever the fax goes. By that time it is 5:30 to 6:00 pm. Every DOT hour allowed will be used. During my training, I was told I was making $1000/week sales. My take home was never over $500/wk. Divide that by the 60 hours/wk the job took = $8.33/hr. And I was told my time was during the best sales period, don't count on that every week. Straight commision. Thats why I was not there long, I liked the job, just could not afford to do it.

Update your POS equipment. Get a CMR program so your drivers can plug in the POS unit, download it and that is sent to whomever needs it. You would give your workers 30 minutes to an hour per day extra quality of life time. Get your commision inline with the hours worked.
    Up date your product. Schwans used to be known as top quality product. Now little cheap pizzas are known as "Cardboard Pizza". I had a sale on single topping pizza in a major brand grocer and it was in a major university town. Priced em at 89 cents. This was in 2013. Didn't sale half the number we stocked. Should have sold them all.
    Moral of the story, your competition has caught up and passed your product in perceived taste and value.
    As for the home delivery routes, common, the prices you charge are ridicules for the small amount of product it buys. Again, ask how the product was and you get back, "not bad", never did I hear "oh man that stuff is great" and that was from free samples!

Do Not Get Suckered In

I have been working at Schwan's

Pros

Employees get extra reward points on purchases which comes in handy. The discount on products is okay, but better when paired with the rewards points. Decent food.

Cons

Work 60-80 hours a week. Routes take months to years to build up and get a good customer base. At nine months, you'd expect to make more than $350 a week considering all the hours, but don't bank on that unless you have a great route. Long hours means no family time what-so-ever. Come home, eat dinner, go to bed and then back to work. You are basically the company's slave.

Stop treating your drivers like your servants. Consider changing the commission rates or switching to hourly pay because my family is not surviving on the pay given now. I can pull in $1000 two days a week but am still getting next to nothing on my paycheck. Start listening to what the customers want. Stop making all these fancy foods and wasting your money to "revamp" them when they don't sell. But overall, treat your drivers better. They're people with families and you're making them feel like nothing.

You DON"T want to work here!!!

I worked at Schwan's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Being a customer is great. The food is top quality and they have many items you can not get in the grocery stores.

Cons

Want to be treated like a brainless robot? Want to work 14 hour days for less than minimum wage? Want to have a route that is micromanaged by corporate people that have never run a route in their lives? Then this is the place for you!

It's simple! Treat the people that actually run your business with the respect that you would want to be treated with.

too many hours no time for life pay cuts working while injured no personal caring corporate all the way

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bakersfield, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bakersfield, CA

I worked at Schwan's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

customers working outside ability to increase sales

Cons

driving a truck working in bad weather new manager 12 to 14 hour days the way they terminate you and yet not another that had more violations their matrix where they tell you you can service a customer and be on your way in 3 minutes

you go get in a truck and follow your manifest and see if you can do it get out of your office let the drivers manage their own routes like they used to instead of being computer generated rememberer we are human beings !!!!!

Dont do it!

Current Employee - Delivery Driver/Customer Service Representative in Bolingbrook, IL

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

None anything else they tell you is a lie!

Cons

They tell you the pay is good then once you get your first check you find out its only minimum wage! No sick days, no personal days no benefits from day one.it's all a lie! Dont waste your time!

You shouldn't mislead people this way! And some sort of investigation needs to be done on this company!

Do your research!

I worked at Schwan's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good co- workers. Good customers.

Cons

Revolving door...scratch that revolving room of management, and employees. No decent time off. Work life balance.

Pay attention to employees. Change your entire business model. The job could be done in a 40 hour work week if you weren't a greedy corporation. You would keep a lot more employees with a shortened work week and higher pay, and they would probably do stellar work. You alienate your employees by keeping them on routes for too long.

Horrible work to life balance for the salary received.

Former Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Salem, OR

I worked at Schwan's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Weekends off and being on your own without a boss breathing down your neck all day.

Cons

Long hours! There were days that I would put in 12 plus hours and make less than mininum wage. Management at my depot was terrible! Inconsistent pay from week to week was difficult. Having to rely on customers to be home within the time windows that were set by them was very frustrating.

Listen to your employees!! Do not talk over them and act like you know what they are going to say and giving an answer that solves nothing!!!