Schwan's

www.theschwanfoodcompany.com

Schwan's Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Dimitrios Smyrnios

Pros
  • There are still some good people within the organization(in 10 reviews)

• My route had great customers, not all routes are that lucky(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Can be some long hours, because your customers have to be home for you to make a sale(in 36 reviews)

• upper management cares about numbers not the person(in 17 reviews)

Solid company with huge upside

ProsThe company is going through some changes in operations and change is always clan egging but the outcome will be so much better than before. Great time to join the company. Lots of good people and a big potential for growth.

ConsChange is challenging and you need to be able to handle that

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the communication lines open. The more we know and understand the better we can contribute to the growth of the company.

good food, long days, pay change was a step back and the vacation pay is worse!

Schwans RSR (Former Employee) Colorado Springs, CO

Prosgreat customers, food, and employee discount

Conslong hours, poor management, and do not repair equipment in a timely fashion

Advice to Senior Managementquit micro managing!

Good rewards for long hours

Location General Manager (Former Employee)

ProsPaid for what you sell, can pay very well if you do what you are supposed to. Best type of route sales job available because the company pays for the truck, the food you sell and the insurance.

ConsCan be some long hours, because your customers have to be home for you to make a sale

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Really miss the customers but not management

Schwans RSR (Former Employee) Bridgeville, PA

ProsOn your own most of the day, in control of your own income.
    My route had great customers, not all routes are that lucky.
    The benefits are as good as most companies.
    The training is set up very well.

ConsAbsolutely no home life, puts stress on family.
    Upper management could care less about the route driver, they just look at numbers.
    In my third year with Schwan's and it's the third compensation plan. Seems that the company is struggling to survive.
    Sorry to say, but this is a sinking ship, they will continue to lose market share.

Advice to Senior ManagementInteract with rsr's, listen to their needs and at least try to accommodate. A very small effort would go a long way.
    Commit to a pay plan.
    Try to retain good RSR's, the turn over is a big problem.

Sinking Ship

Territory Sales Leader (Former Employee)

ProsLiked some of the independance, able to make decisions that effect others. Listened to new ideas and allowed me to try them out. Saved company a lot of money by changing some of the old ways of thinking.

ConsI didnt get the credit for the changes I personally made. Some of them were done company wide- Felt like others took all the credit. Current state of Schwan's home delivery is in Question. I believe the new higher management will shut down most of home service and grow the more profitable wings. The pay doesn't meet with similair industries.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees what they are worth. The drivers make nearly minumum wage for the amount of hours they work. Its a tough job and they need to be paid properly. I was a manager and I was very disatisfied with the company direction.

Good company, but not what it used to be.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOpportunities from within the organization are pretty good - maybe sometimes too good. The company invests in its high performers.

ConsThe company might have gotten too big for it's britches. Employees suffered.

RSR

RSR (Former Employee) Bellingham, WA

ProsI worked there a year with some very good character's and had allot of support and understanding from My Managers (there were two since I worked there).
    You have plenty of freedom to do things your way once you leave the depot, so long as your numbers are decent and the customers are happy. Job was very challenging but was a helpful growth experience; if you want to know what it means to work hard, apply at Schwan's. Training was also very hands-on and compensation was good as a trainee.
    Good discounts on yummy convenient food (you will be living off it with the crazy hours).
    Lastly you have some great opportunities to meet some very... interesting people. I made good friends on my route(s) and got to drive around through some beautiful countryside. Namely deception pass and Whidbey Island. You might not be so lucky however.
    If you are a young person with allot of energy, people skills and patience then it's a great start.
    If you want a life, go elsewhere.

ConsThey basically expect you to do two full-time jobs at once. In addition to running and organizing an average 50-80 stop route day you are expected to knock on doors, gather referrals and solicit for more business, for which there is very little time; they do basically nothing to advertise beyond that.
    THE HANDHELD P.O.S. SYSTEM IS THE BIGGEST, SMELLIEST POS ON PLANET EARTH!!! I'm convinced the technology was taken from ancient Greece and manufactured by lobotomized monkeys in china.
    I had to makeup ENTIRE route days on my ONE day off because of that thing.
    Same goes for the system they have to "organize" your stops, basically it takes them and puts them in a blender before each day and you are left to sort it out yourself. If you have been on a route for awhile and you know how it should be run this isn't much of an issue, but as a newbie you could be driving an extra three hours (or more!) moving around like a headless chicken because you are forced to follow the given stop order.
    Speaking of lobotomized monkeys I'm pretty sure that's what they started hiring for corporate management to cut costs.

The management (above the depot manager) was almost completely obvious to the blatant issues (such as the above ones) on the ground. They would constantly be shoving nonsensical procedures and rules down our depot manager's throat who actually knew how the job should be done.

Advice to Senior ManagementLET THE RSR DO HIS DANM JOB

The workers are very well liked.

Schwans RSR (Former Employee) Glendale, AZ

ProsOnce you leave the depot you are management free.

ConsNo paid holidays-yes this means all Federal holidays that virtually every other place of business pays you to have off Schwans does NOT. I still cannot believe that this is possible in America today, it speaks very well of how much they value the people that work for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up!!!

NO FAMILY LIFE

Route Sales Manager (Former Employee) Sikeston, MO

Prosdrving cold in the summer

ConsLong hours minimal Pay.
    Routes are hard to make money on.
    upper management cares about numbers not the person.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of you employees. They are your company. Reward everyone for hard work it takes just as much effort to run a high$ route as it does a low dollar route.

Zero concern for Employee and Customer Safety. Profit is the only concern. Sales are tanking. Glad I'm gone.

District Sales Leader (Former Employee) Marshall, MN

ProsNo longer any pros for working here. Don't get sucked in. It will be a waste of your time and energy.

ConsThey could care less about the safety of their customers or their employees. These are just 3 issues in the last 2 months. Think about how many more over the years have occurred. Many more of which never make the news.

According to the FDA’s May 7, 2014 Enforcement Report, Schwan's Food Company is recalling two types of canapés manufactured by Holiday Foods that were prepared with ingredients recalled by Parker Farm because of possible Listeria monocytogenes contamination. The Parkers Farm products that were recalled included cheese spreads, peanut butter, cold pack cheese, and other products.

Schwan Unit To Pay $2.5M To Settle Calif. Robocall Suit
    Law360, Los Angeles (May 06, 2014, 4:34 PM ET) -- The home delivery unit of frozen food giant The Schwan Food Co. has agreed to pay up to $2.5 million to settle a class action alleging it placed automated calls to consumers’ cellphones without their permission, according to documents filed in California federal court Monday.

Mar 13, 2014, 1:33pm EDT OSHA fines Schwan’s for alleged violations in Atlanta - The Occupational Safety and Health Administration fined Schwan’s Global Supply Chain Inc. $264,360 for 32 alleged serious safety and health violations at its Atlanta facility.

Check these out and you be the judge.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are the problem. The sad thing is You know it. And You care less as long as You get that next bonus and You get another day closer to retirement.

Worked for Schwan's? Contribute to the Community!