SciMetrika

Dr. Jean Orelien

Interesting and Challenging

Former Employee - Administrative Officer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Administrative Officer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SciMetrika as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

to build my (9) nine years of experience, as a Federal contractor with the (CDC) Centers for Disease Control

Cons

leadership and crazy personalities; should offer teleworking for the Administrative Staff

Better Leadership and looking out for the employee

Great Company to Work For!

I have been working at SciMetrika full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people I work with are passionate about the work they do and put their hearts into it. Everyone is willing to lend a helping hand if needs be and people work really hard. Its a positive atmosphere despite the long hours during busy points of the year. Great employee perks, tuition reimbursement, concierge service, flexible schedule, all you can eat free snacks and drinks. I think that since some of the negative comments were made on here, the company has made a lot of progress. SciMetrika is an unbeatable workplace when compared to similar businesses. It has that great small business feel and employees are treated well.

Cons

I am only familiar with what goes on in my own department and have no cons to report. I can't speak for every department.

Exciting, stimulating, creative work environment

Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Durham, NC

I have been working at SciMetrika full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at SciMetrika for close to 3 years after having spent over 25 years in academia.
    Everyday, we are challenged in unique ways to provide SciMetrika solutions to current, pressing
    population health issues in the government (CDC) and private sector. I have had the opportunity to learn and apply many new and innovative theoretical frameworks to address real world health issues at the systems, environmental, community and individual level. There is not a day that goes by that I have not learned something new. If you want to be at the heart of innovation and change in the population health field, you should seriously consider working at Scimetrika.

Cons

Be prepared for a roller coaster ride! This is a growing company with many processes in progress.
    We have a long way to go,but senior leadership is truly dedicated to working together as a team to create the infrastructure required to move us forward. Sometimes, there are long hours that extend into the weekend. Ok if you know how to set limits. A challenging fast paced work environment.

Keep up the good work. It will pay off in the long run.

Grateful to be a contractor with SciMetrika

Current Employee - Program Administrative Coordinator in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Program Administrative Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SciMetrika full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have been a contractor for the federal government for more than 20 years working for six different companies both large (Lockheed Martin) and small. SciMetrika has been my employer for 3 years. I am fortunate to work in Atlanta where SciMetrika has a satellite office within 5 miles from my work location. Without hesitation I can say that SciMetrika’s local Atlanta staff is always there for me when customer interaction is needed, is always pro-active and keeps me informed with company updates. The local staff works hard to keep many contractors located around the city connected by sponsoring company socials, community volunteer events and hosting regular company meetings. I am grateful for the opportunity to work for a company that respects each employee. Jean Orelien , the president and CEO of the company, is a caring individual who works hard to keep everyone motivated to perform at their best. Regular virtual meetings keep me up-to-date on company news and happenings. I could not be happier!

Cons

After working for multiple contracting companies, it is a joy to work with a professional staff that I can rely on. What’s not to like?

Keep up the good work.

working here is a great experience

I have been working at SciMetrika full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The "SciMetrika family" is an excellent group of people. They are friendly and professional. I don't know a single coworker who doesn't care about his or her work. Someone already mentioned the benefits (and free snacks), but I'd also like to point out that everyone has their own office (except for one person whose job function prevents it).

My management has encouraged my professional growth and development, and they have always allowed me flexibility and respected my work/life balance.

Cons

The CEO will be the first to tell you the company isn't perfect, but it's also clear he will always work to make it better. Prospective employees might also be interested to know he has an open door policy, a point which the other reviewers seem to have overlooked.

I have a pretty good idea what the other reviewers were referencing in the vast majority of their complaints, and none of them merit the vitriol expressed here. Furthermore, many inaccurately portray problems that existed only on specific teams as if they were applicable to the entire company. Regardless, improvements have since been made.

However, I will say that the Durham vs RTP issue should be confirmed and resolved. If it is inaccurate, it must be by a block or so, but that's no excuse. If you're a client or potential hire, I'm sure everyone here would be happy to provide you with directions. I'm not the best at giving directions, so if you happen to reach me, I will just open up Google maps and read them to you. It manages both versions of the address fine.

I have heard concerns about senior management before. They are exaggerated here (to put it rather mildly), but at minimum you actually do have a perception issue that needs to be addressed.

Management of employees disappointing

Former Employee - Assistant in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant in Durham, NC

I worked at SciMetrika as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The headquarters is in a central location and they try to do a little something to boost employee moral, but not enough. Benefits are okay, but could use some improvements to attract the best employees.

Cons

Increase turnover in HR personnel. In my hiring process, I started out with two different HR representatives, by the time I was hired, that personnel had left the company. Not enough training for new employees. Stagnant employee advancement opportunities and distrust in management.

Key management personnel lack the skills to lead people effectively. The crop of management staff needs to be replaced with personnel who are people oriented, team players and work with their teams to ensure that everybody does their fare share to achieve desired results. Some management personnel manipulate employees are dishonest with clients and hide behind their title. They are very critical of their staff and unprofessional. Management just needs some serious changes to make the company's status improve from what employees think of how they currently
     handle things.

Disappointing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I worked at SciMetrika

Pros

Great location in RTP, nice office space, good benefits, close to I-40, NC 54 and NC 55 and helpful HR department.

Cons

No formal policies or SOP's. Unfair treatment of employees. Constant disrespect among co-workers. Minimal praise, career advancement opportunities and compensation. Claims to be a flexible work environment but employees are expected to live and breathe their job. Unclear job descriptions. Clear division of labor between senior management and lower employees. Feel of entitlement among management team. Lack of communication. Unethical business practices. No distiniction between personal time off and sick time.

Hire people who truly care about their employees and the greater good of the company. Treat all employees with respect. Develop formal policies, procedures, and SOP's. Communicate on a regular basis with the employees about all company happenings, small or large.

Disorganized and frustrating.

I have been working at SciMetrika

Pros

Really nice people, opportunities to learn about government contracting, good social environment.

Cons

Uncompetitive salary, inconsistencies in salary determination, disorganized management, boring work, lack of growth opportunities/promotions, too little vacation (2 weeks)....the list can go on

Be consistent and fair; listen to your employees!

Good staff hamstrung by senior leadership

I have been working at SciMetrika

Pros

Good pay, decent benefits, responsive front line staff.

Cons

Senior management is indifferent to needs outside RTP. The Atlanta office is understaffed and undersupported, leading to bad customer service at CDC and a poor reputation for SciMetrika. Some SciMetrika staff push for contracted staff to solicit business regardless of the ethics and conflict of interest. Lip service to professional development but no opportunities for training or career paths within the company. Finally, there is no mechanism to handle employee problems with their CDC or SciMetrika supervisor. SciMetrika would rather drive away one good employee after another than address a continuing problem.

Senior management needs to spend more time in Atlanta to understand the challenges of supporting staff who are on-site at CDC. Soliciting business should be the responsibility of the full time SciMetrika staff that manage contracts not the staff who are contracted to provide services. Also, stop responding to negative reviews by asking staff to write good ones. Instead of telling people to come to the CEO with their problems, establish an HR that is empowered to deal with employee problems.

Best place I have ever worked!

I have been working at SciMetrika full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've been a working professional for 20 years and SciMetrika is hands down one of the best work environments I have ever been in. The people here are great and everyone goes out of their way to help. Unlike larger company’s our CEO is always accessible and genuinely cares about the people who work here.

Cons

We are a small growing company and you have to be willing to step up into areas you may not be familiar with. I don't really see this as a con but some folks might not like stepping outside their comfort zone.

Keep the small company atmosphere and don’t ever let red tape, rules or guidelines keep us from being a premier provider to our clients.