SciMetrika

Be The First To
Add Photos

SciMetrika CEO Dr. Jean Orelien

Dr. Jean Orelien

Great Company to Work For!

ProsThe people I work with are passionate about the work they do and put their hearts into it. Everyone is willing to lend a helping hand if needs be and people work really hard. Its a positive atmosphere despite the long hours during busy points of the year. Great employee perks, tuition reimbursement, concierge service, flexible schedule, all you can eat free snacks and drinks. I think that since some of the negative comments were made on here, the company has made a lot of progress. SciMetrika is an unbeatable workplace when compared to similar businesses. It has that great small business feel and employees are treated well.

ConsI am only familiar with what goes on in my own department and have no cons to report. I can't speak for every department.

Exciting, stimulating, creative work environment

Senior Research Scientist (Current Employee)
    Durham, NC

ProsI have worked at SciMetrika for close to 3 years after having spent over 25 years in academia.
    Everyday, we are challenged in unique ways to provide SciMetrika solutions to current, pressing
    population health issues in the government (CDC) and private sector. I have had the opportunity to learn and apply many new and innovative theoretical frameworks to address real world health issues at the systems, environmental, community and individual level. There is not a day that goes by that I have not learned something new. If you want to be at the heart of innovation and change in the population health field, you should seriously consider working at Scimetrika.

ConsBe prepared for a roller coaster ride! This is a growing company with many processes in progress.
    We have a long way to go,but senior leadership is truly dedicated to working together as a team to create the infrastructure required to move us forward. Sometimes, there are long hours that extend into the weekend. Ok if you know how to set limits. A challenging fast paced work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. It will pay off in the long run.

Grateful to be a contractor with SciMetrika

Program Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsI have been a contractor for the federal government for more than 20 years working for six different companies both large (Lockheed Martin) and small. SciMetrika has been my employer for 3 years. I am fortunate to work in Atlanta where SciMetrika has a satellite office within 5 miles from my work location. Without hesitation I can say that SciMetrika’s local Atlanta staff is always there for me when customer interaction is needed, is always pro-active and keeps me informed with company updates. The local staff works hard to keep many contractors located around the city connected by sponsoring company socials, community volunteer events and hosting regular company meetings. I am grateful for the opportunity to work for a company that respects each employee. Jean Orelien , the president and CEO of the company, is a caring individual who works hard to keep everyone motivated to perform at their best. Regular virtual meetings keep me up-to-date on company news and happenings. I could not be happier!

ConsAfter working for multiple contracting companies, it is a joy to work with a professional staff that I can rely on. What’s not to like?

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

working here is a great experience

Durham, NC

ProsThe "SciMetrika family" is an excellent group of people. They are friendly and professional. I don't know a single coworker who doesn't care about his or her work. Someone already mentioned the benefits (and free snacks), but I'd also like to point out that everyone has their own office (except for one person whose job function prevents it).

My management has encouraged my professional growth and development, and they have always allowed me flexibility and respected my work/life balance.

ConsThe CEO will be the first to tell you the company isn't perfect, but it's also clear he will always work to make it better. Prospective employees might also be interested to know he has an open door policy, a point which the other reviewers seem to have overlooked.

I have a pretty good idea what the other reviewers were referencing in the vast majority of their complaints, and none of them merit the vitriol expressed here. Furthermore, many inaccurately portray problems that existed only on specific teams as if they were applicable to the entire company. Regardless, improvements have since been made.

However, I will say that the Durham vs RTP issue should be confirmed and resolved. If it is inaccurate, it must be by a block or so, but that's no excuse. If you're a client or potential hire, I'm sure everyone here would be happy to provide you with directions. I'm not the best at giving directions, so if you happen to reach me, I will just open up Google maps and read them to you. It manages both versions of the address fine.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have heard concerns about senior management before. They are exaggerated here (to put it rather mildly), but at minimum you actually do have a perception issue that needs to be addressed.

Management of employees disappointing

Assistant (Former Employee)
    Durham, NC

ProsThe headquarters is in a central location and they try to do a little something to boost employee moral, but not enough. Benefits are okay, but could use some improvements to attract the best employees.

ConsIncrease turnover in HR personnel. In my hiring process, I started out with two different HR representatives, by the time I was hired, that personnel had left the company. Not enough training for new employees. Stagnant employee advancement opportunities and distrust in management.

Advice to Senior ManagementKey management personnel lack the skills to lead people effectively. The crop of management staff needs to be replaced with personnel who are people oriented, team players and work with their teams to ensure that everybody does their fare share to achieve desired results. Some management personnel manipulate employees are dishonest with clients and hide behind their title. They are very critical of their staff and unprofessional. Management just needs some serious changes to make the company's status improve from what employees think of how they currently
     handle things.

Disappointing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Durham, NC

ProsGreat location in RTP, nice office space, good benefits, close to I-40, NC 54 and NC 55 and helpful HR department.

ConsNo formal policies or SOP's. Unfair treatment of employees. Constant disrespect among co-workers. Minimal praise, career advancement opportunities and compensation. Claims to be a flexible work environment but employees are expected to live and breathe their job. Unclear job descriptions. Clear division of labor between senior management and lower employees. Feel of entitlement among management team. Lack of communication. Unethical business practices. No distiniction between personal time off and sick time.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people who truly care about their employees and the greater good of the company. Treat all employees with respect. Develop formal policies, procedures, and SOP's. Communicate on a regular basis with the employees about all company happenings, small or large.

Disorganized and frustrating.

Durham, NC

ProsReally nice people, opportunities to learn about government contracting, good social environment.

ConsUncompetitive salary, inconsistencies in salary determination, disorganized management, boring work, lack of growth opportunities/promotions, too little vacation (2 weeks)....the list can go on

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent and fair; listen to your employees!

Good staff hamstrung by senior leadership

(Current Employee)

ProsGood pay, decent benefits, responsive front line staff.

ConsSenior management is indifferent to needs outside RTP. The Atlanta office is understaffed and undersupported, leading to bad customer service at CDC and a poor reputation for SciMetrika. Some SciMetrika staff push for contracted staff to solicit business regardless of the ethics and conflict of interest. Lip service to professional development but no opportunities for training or career paths within the company. Finally, there is no mechanism to handle employee problems with their CDC or SciMetrika supervisor. SciMetrika would rather drive away one good employee after another than address a continuing problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management needs to spend more time in Atlanta to understand the challenges of supporting staff who are on-site at CDC. Soliciting business should be the responsibility of the full time SciMetrika staff that manage contracts not the staff who are contracted to provide services. Also, stop responding to negative reviews by asking staff to write good ones. Instead of telling people to come to the CEO with their problems, establish an HR that is empowered to deal with employee problems.

Best place I have ever worked!

ProsI've been a working professional for 20 years and SciMetrika is hands down one of the best work environments I have ever been in. The people here are great and everyone goes out of their way to help. Unlike larger company’s our CEO is always accessible and genuinely cares about the people who work here.

ConsWe are a small growing company and you have to be willing to step up into areas you may not be familiar with. I don't really see this as a con but some folks might not like stepping outside their comfort zone.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the small company atmosphere and don’t ever let red tape, rules or guidelines keep us from being a premier provider to our clients.

Mediocre Company with Potential But Too Disillusioned & Driven By Money To Focus on Real Changes

ProsGood benefits. Flexible work options. Great salaries. Location is ok. Plenty of parking.

ConsThe flexible work options are only available to some individuals. For example, at one point, the entire contracts department could work from home permanently (even though they all lived in North Carolina - some of them minutes from the office), but then some individuals got extreme push back from their managers for just requesting to work from home for one day per week. Basically, it depends on who you are. Salaries are good/great for some. Less than competitive for others. One final con: some people who work here are simply mean and unprofessional. It's a sad and bold statement to make, but they don't embody the corporate values yet still keep their jobs. Confusing and frustrating to those who actually try to exhibit and own those values.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease stop coercing your staff to write positive reviews on Glassdoor in order to water down the negative, truthful reviews (note to CEO). Be honest with the company's capabilities. Stop hiring masters level individuals to do high school level administrative, non-stimulating work. Stop treating some people like they are extremely important and others, who work really hard for you day in and day out, like they are completely dispensable and their opinions don't matter. Everybody wants to feel important. Be more communicative (answer your emails from everyone in a timely manner, not just other senior staff). Be truly honest over the state of the company if you really care about this company and the people who work for it. Hire an outside firm to help you. Maybe this firm can help bring true improvements and a fresh perspective for real change. Again, the company has potential. Take advantage of that potential in order to truly become a great employer of choice.

Worked for SciMetrika? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SciMetrika reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SciMetrika CEO Dr. Jean Orelien. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by SciMetrika employees.