SciQuest

Add Photos

SciQuest President, CEO, and Director Stephen J. Wiehe

Stephen J. Wiehe

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Company if you are self-motivated and independent, but this company is not for everyone

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cary, NC

Prosflexible hours

good benefits

good pay

high percentage of people who care about their jobs, making a good product and making customers happy

if you reach outside your cube, you can find people willing to help you (although they may or may not actually be able to help you)

most customers are very happy

recognition for hard work is there if you work for a good manager

a lot of nice and caring people

people are not just numbers here like they are at other companies - what you do here does
    make an impact for the company growth and our customers

the product is interesting, vast and always changing so that you will never be bored if you are in a job that suits you

Conssome of the management team is awful

there is no "how-to" guide here...you have to be self-motivated and figure out how to do things for yourself and ask others when you need help

if you want to move around to other jobs, you need to create that opportunity yourself, but I think this is true in most companies

some departments/teams are cliquish

some teams don't feel cohesive and the members compete with each other instead of working together

growing very quickly and acquiring smaller companies...issues with integrating them and feeling like one company

Advice to Senior Managementemployees are afraid to be honest on their employee surveys - do something to make this more anonymous so that they can be honest without fear of retaliation

some of the management team is terrible, and if employees had a way to give this feedback without fear, you could find out who this is and replace them (the manager assimilation meetings are NOT a good way to do it). perhaps employees could have an assigned HR partner to talk to once a quarter about their job, their team, management, etc - someone they will trust and feel comfortable with.

need more teambuilding for each team/department and a way for employees from the legacy SciQuest and other companies to get to know each other

some really great people work here...try to keep them! :)

don't lose sight of what makes us a great company: our customer focus AND employee focus

I don't think most of the negative reviews I've read are representative of any of the people I've worked with, but perhaps other departments aren't as lucky as the ones I've worked with.

Terrible mistake

Technical Support Specialist, Level II (Former Employee) Cary, NC

ProsThey're building a new building in Morrisville and plan to move into it in August of 2014. If you're there for a year, you can move somewhere else. SelectSite support personnel usually ended up migrating to Client Partners, Client Delivery, and Solutions/Technical Consultants, and I firmly believe it was to get away from the phones in support and having dirt shoveled on you by the previously mentioned departments. Contract Director guys seemed pretty happy with where they were, at least.

ConsI'm giving myself away to anyone who's worked with me before by going into detail. Good thing I don't care.

Personally, it was a mistake for me to apply for the Technical Support Level 2 position. I should have waited for a better role more suited to me such as a QA Engineer or a Jr Java Developer. I thought, indicative of the term "Level 2" and the fact that they have Level 1s that we would be a proper escalation point. Nope. They're using Level 1s to do one thing and Level 2s to do another. Which means Level 2s are right there on the front lines to get interrupted in the middle of their highly involved investigation and drop everything to deal with that. Insane.

There are two different Tech Support Level 2 teams for two different products: SelectSite and Contract Director. I started with SelectSite and that effectively crushed my motivation to care about anything to do with that place. I may still be there right now if I started with Contract Director, because at least they make regular use of SQL Server and eventually get into coding .NET via C#. But both teams ended up fighting over me, so a compromise was made where they wanted me to be some "hybrid" role that supported both applications (at the same pay as everyone else {which I know because I asked people how much they made}), starting with SelectSite and eventually I'd be moved to Contract Director. When the decision was made to finally move me to Contract Director permanently (because they knew that I was not interested in learning SelectSite in an end-user application-support capacity... you can hire other trained monkeys to do that, thanks), I was told I'd still be stuck in SelectSite for two months while the new poor saps got trained. Oh, and we're going to reduce the shift I was on down to a 2 man crew again. Have fun! By this time, I was already burned out of Tech Support and customer support in general, so I put in my two weeks.

The job description and even the questioning during the interview processes made it seem like there would be way more hands-on technical experience put into practice. Why ask me about SQL or if I have solid Java/object-oriented experience if you're never going to use it? I feel like I was lied to and that the position was NOT as advertised. It was an utter waste of my time and my skill set. And this was voiced to management several times.

With SelectSite, you're basically learning how to use their bloated, hyper-customized-based-on-continuous-customer-feedback platform/application and support end user questions about it. Even long timers (5+ years) are still learning new things about it because it's just so immense. The integrations alone would require someone to sit you down and illustrate all the finer points. And this is the easy part!

The hard part is trying to learn this on your own because THERE IS NO TRAINING. They have NO processes. And the processes they are trying to put into place (after the fact) are half-baked ("yeah, just sit with this guy for now"). No one has time to invest into putting time and thought into making things better because everyone is overworked and stressed out. And, most of all, miserable. And yet, everyone there thinks this is just, "oh, you should have seen what it used to be. it'll get better. this is just how it has to be." Really?

I think they just wanted someone who was very smart to be able to come in and pick things up faster than anyone else. The problem is, you could be a 20 year software development veteran, or an MIT graduate, or even a rocket scientist, and still have the SAME difficulty curve of learning their ridiculous platform because it is a nuanced piece of software with no sense of intuitive, end user learning (i.e. badly designed in terms of UX). It's like trying to learn the intricacies of stamp collecting. No thanks.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy bother with this section? It obviously won't help.

One of the Worst Tech Companies in the RTP

Junior Developer (Former Employee) Cary, NC

ProsFree soda and coffee, that's about it.

ConsCompany culture
    Management (really bad at their jobs)
    Products (unstable, useless)
    Training (product training sessions are useless and boring, and there is 0 development training or documentation)
    Code base (in an awful state due to management shoving in last-minute features, over and over)
    Slightly below average pay for the area.

For your own health, I urge you to please stay away from this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

There is better out there

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cary, NC

ProsAmidst the chaos and backstabbing, there were some really great people there. The pay is competitive and the perks align with most software companies in the area.

ConsManagement is unapproachable, there is often a lack in clear processes, and the stress to meet deadlines can be unbearable. I worked with developers who were constantly stressed and worked seven days a week. It wasn't supposed to be the norm, but it became that way as SQ gobbled up smaller, more unorganized companies along the way. The work just continued to pile on and if you weren't able to learn the old system while working nearly 100% of the time of the new software programs, expect harsh criticism.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpeak with your employees, have conversations, coach them, and don't be so quick to take another person's word as gospel and make your assessments. You're not going to be able to encourage growth and close performance gaps by not understanding your employee's workload, their abilities, and their needs for improving performance without having an open door.

Worst Company Culture Ever! Horrible management!

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Cary, NC

ProsCasual dress, Canes tix, benefits

ConsThe culture and management at SciQuest was the worst I've ever experienced. I came in and met a demanding deadline in my first 3 months only to be told a few weeks later that there was a target on my back. After having 3 different bosses in 16 months I was let go and told that I was not the right person for the job. Only a few months before I was given a raise during my review and told I was performing well. Revolving door of managers ensures that you will get screwed at this company!

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate an environment where people are NOT afraid to speak the truth or provide feedback. The CEO tells employees to focus on outputs not inputs. Well your inputs suck and therefore so do your outputs! Intimidating employees is no way to motivate them. And keep it classy, lose the profanity and dressing down people in front of everyone.

If you can, stay away from client delivery and the client delivery managers at SciQuest

(Former Employee) Cary, NC

ProsIf you are not constantly micro managed by management, its fun to work with clients and help them configure a new system from start to finish.

ConsThe client delivery department has the worst managers. They have no clue what we do day-to-day to implement clients, most are brought in from outside the company (people rarely move up into management positions) and are very poor motivators. Completely out of touch.

Some managers are on power trips and micro manage to the point of it being harassment. Many good employees have left due to this type of treatment by poor managers.

Hard workers rarely get recognized or acknowledged. There is no such thing as a raise. They also expect a lot of travel and time away from your family.

Why does client delivery have so much turnover in a bad economy?

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the micro managers in client delivery. Client delivery needs better direction overall.

BRIBERY wow sounds like Upper Mngt is bribing people to say good things about the company

PAQA (Former Employee) Cary, NC

ProsWow off the top of my head I cant think of any other than free coffee and soft drinks

ConsMost of Mngt needs to go back to Mngt 101 and a good number of people need to have an attitude adjustment and realize that they are NOT the greatest thing since sliced bread and that they are not better than everyone else.
    My advice to anyone in this company, if you see a window to exit this company TAKE IT before the train wreck happens.

Advice to Senior ManagementMngt needs to open their eyes and understand why there is such a turnover in people in this company, they also need to work with most of the PM’s and bring them off the high horse they think that they are riding. Of course none of this will ever happen until the CEO changes his personality and stops putting people down and stops using four letter words when talking to people especially in groups.
    As fas as most but not all the HR folks, you better go back to get re-educated on how HR should be conducted.

Fantastic people in challenging environment

Project Manager (Former Employee) Cary, NC

ProsThe benefits are above average.

ConsThe culture does not encourage teamwork.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on employees and culture.

people have a hard time with change

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cary, NC

ProsNew managment is straightening out a lot of what was out of whack in the past.
    Benefits, gym membership, sporting event tickets and beer Fridays are great!
    People who work hard and meet their commitments are rewarded.

ConsIntegrating multiple acquisitions in one year is a challenge, but not impossible. Departments are somewhat insulated and it makes communication difficult at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementIgnore the sour grapes from ex-employees. From their tone, I would imagine that many of them left by mutual agreement. As clueless as some of them think management are, it is obvious they are equally as clueless about what it takes to run a company and keep it growing.

Slightly Better than Unemployment

Development (Current Employee) Cary, NC

ProsFree fancy coffee, free soda, free pinball, access to corporate hockey and baseball tickets. Big TVs in break room. Reasonable benefits: medical/dental, vacation, etc. Full of smart, dedicated people, trying to make a difference.

ConsDevelopment methodology self-described as "Agile" is anything but. Velocity is not tracked or used in sprint planning. Constant overtime is expected, often unrecognized.

Communication within the development department is spotty and inconsistent. Communication between departments is almost nonexistent.

Team reorganizations within the development department take place with no input from people being moved around and with little regard to employee strengths and desires.

Career coaching is nonexistent. Individual performance goals are vague.

"Principles SciQuest Lives By" (see corporate website) do not represent the reality of how SciQuest operates -- inputs are measured, not coached, negative feedback is often dismissed out of hand, communication is poor, defining the problem is a small part of the process, it is not OK to call 'time out' unless you are high enough in the company hierarchy.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek honest input from line-level employees. Act on that input. Recognize that things need to change and communicate to the employees that management recognizes that need. Provide regular updates on status of attempts to improve.

Follow the "Principles SciQuest Lives By."

Worked for SciQuest? Contribute to the Community!