SciQuest Reviews in Cary, NC

Updated September 9, 2014
Updated September 9, 2014

SciQuest President & Chief Executive Officer, Chairman of the Board Stephen J. Wiehe
Stephen J. Wiehe

Pros
  • Free Soda and coffee, decent pay, checks cash, not much else can be said in favor of the company (in 7 reviews)

• Free soda and coffee, that's about it (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • some of the management team is awful (in 3 reviews)

• Very unsophisticated and patronizing execs (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Company if you are self-motivated and independent, but this company is not for everyone

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

flexible hours

good benefits

good pay

high percentage of people who care about their jobs, making a good product and making customers happy

if you reach outside your cube, you can find people willing to help you (although they may or may not actually be able to help you)

most customers are very happy

recognition for hard work is there if you work for a good manager

a lot of nice and caring people

people are not just numbers here like they are at other companies - what you do here does
    make an impact for the company growth and our customers

the product is interesting, vast and always changing so that you will never be bored if you are in a job that suits you

Cons

some of the management team is awful

there is no "how-to" guide here...you have to be self-motivated and figure out how to do things for yourself and ask others when you need help

if you want to move around to other jobs, you need to create that opportunity yourself, but I think this is true in most companies

some departments/teams are cliquish

some teams don't feel cohesive and the members compete with each other instead of working together

growing very quickly and acquiring smaller companies...issues with integrating them and feeling like one company

employees are afraid to be honest on their employee surveys - do something to make this more anonymous so that they can be honest without fear of retaliation

some of the management team is terrible, and if employees had a way to give this feedback without fear, you could find out who this is and replace them (the manager assimilation meetings are NOT a good way to do it). perhaps employees could have an assigned HR partner to talk to once a quarter about their job, their team, management, etc - someone they will trust and feel comfortable with.

need more teambuilding for each team/department and a way for employees from the legacy SciQuest and other companies to get to know each other

some really great people work here...try to keep them! :)

don't lose sight of what makes us a great company: our customer focus AND employee focus

I don't think most of the negative reviews I've read are representative of any of the people I've worked with, but perhaps other departments aren't as lucky as the ones I've worked with.

Relatively good place to work if you enjoy banging your head against the wall or you used to work for AllScripts

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice new office, pay is competitive, some of the best worker bee people you will ever meet, free coffee

High performing individuals seem to be well taken care of. I am not sure what the "rules" are to be in that select group though.

Cons

I have seen the company's strategy shift in the little time I have been here. They used to have a really good software application that they saturated the higher education market with. In the last 2 years they have purchased 4 companies that have horrible product quality. I have heard horror stories about some of the issues people in support and professional services have had to deal with in Sourcing, TSM, and Contract Director. I am not sure what the issues are but heard QA and product architecture is not at the quality we want it to be.

We just got a new office in the last 2 months however someone thought it would be a good idea to only have microwaves on the first floor. There are double the people on the second floor yet we have no microwave. How many does the first floor have 8....yeah that makes perfect sense.

Certain employees are treated differently.

Most of my experience with SciQuest has been pretty good. However when your CEO drops more f-bombs then Eminem in concert there is probably an issue. I have read all of the reviews about SciQuest on Glassdoor. If you read them you will notice a very distinct pattern. It is a great place to work if you are in the right department or have the right manager.

For the most part people are pretty happy....unless you are going for a promotion and one of the candidates used to work at Allscripts. Don't get me wrong, the majority of people I have met in my 2 years here from AllScripts are actually pretty good. I just seems like they are the only ones getting management jobs. In talking to some of the old timers, (5+ years) they share a similar viewpoint.

I have heard some real horror stories about people that actually interface with the CEO though. People say he acts very unprofessional. He curses, bullies, and says very sexist things. In my 2 years here I have only seen him at our company meetings. In all my past companies I have really looked up to the CEO and respected them greatly. He actually had the audacity to ask all of his employees to come on GlassDoor and post a company review. He stressed making a positive one to bring up the company ratings. His thinking was the reason our rating was so low is because only people "leaving" posted reviews. This is my first time on GlassDoor and I am very glad he urged me to read this site.

CEO asked me to write review to increase his negative ratings. Don't work here

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cary, NC

I worked at SciQuest full-time

Pros

Co-workers are smart and enjoyable to work with

Cons

Narcissistic CEO asked his employees at all hands company meeting to come on here and write positive reviews of him and the company to increase his low approval percentage. All this while the stock price lost 50% of its value.
    Sales people, engineers and support do not make much money but the company makes sure its fully leveraged.

Stop asking employees to pad reviews and stabilize the product ahead of your ego

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible mistake

Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist, Level II  in  Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist, Level II in Cary, NC

I worked at SciQuest full-time for less than a year

Pros

They're building a new building in Morrisville and plan to move into it in August of 2014. If you're there for a year, you can move somewhere else. SelectSite support personnel usually ended up migrating to Client Partners, Client Delivery, and Solutions/Technical Consultants, and I firmly believe it was to get away from the phones in support and having dirt shoveled on you by the previously mentioned departments. Contract Director guys seemed pretty happy with where they were, at least.

Cons

I'm giving myself away to anyone who's worked with me before by going into detail. Good thing I don't care.

Personally, it was a mistake for me to apply for the Technical Support Level 2 position. I should have waited for a better role more suited to me such as a QA Engineer or a Jr Java Developer. I thought, indicative of the term "Level 2" and the fact that they have Level 1s that we would be a proper escalation point. Nope. They're using Level 1s to do one thing and Level 2s to do another. Which means Level 2s are right there on the front lines to get interrupted in the middle of their highly involved investigation and drop everything to deal with that. Insane.

There are two different Tech Support Level 2 teams for two different products: SelectSite and Contract Director. I started with SelectSite and that effectively crushed my motivation to care about anything to do with that place. I may still be there right now if I started with Contract Director, because at least they make regular use of SQL Server and eventually get into coding .NET via C#. But both teams ended up fighting over me, so a compromise was made where they wanted me to be some "hybrid" role that supported both applications (at the same pay as everyone else {which I know because I asked people how much they made}), starting with SelectSite and eventually I'd be moved to Contract Director. When the decision was made to finally move me to Contract Director permanently (because they knew that I was not interested in learning SelectSite in an end-user application-support capacity... you can hire other trained monkeys to do that, thanks), I was told I'd still be stuck in SelectSite for two months while the new poor saps got trained. Oh, and we're going to reduce the shift I was on down to a 2 man crew again. Have fun! By this time, I was already burned out of Tech Support and customer support in general, so I put in my two weeks.

The job description and even the questioning during the interview processes made it seem like there would be way more hands-on technical experience put into practice. Why ask me about SQL or if I have solid Java/object-oriented experience if you're never going to use it? I feel like I was lied to and that the position was NOT as advertised. It was an utter waste of my time and my skill set. And this was voiced to management several times.

With SelectSite, you're basically learning how to use their bloated, hyper-customized-based-on-continuous-customer-feedback platform/application and support end user questions about it. Even long timers (5+ years) are still learning new things about it because it's just so immense. The integrations alone would require someone to sit you down and illustrate all the finer points. And this is the easy part!

The hard part is trying to learn this on your own because THERE IS NO TRAINING. They have NO processes. And the processes they are trying to put into place (after the fact) are half-baked ("yeah, just sit with this guy for now"). No one has time to invest into putting time and thought into making things better because everyone is overworked and stressed out. And, most of all, miserable. And yet, everyone there thinks this is just, "oh, you should have seen what it used to be. it'll get better. this is just how it has to be." Really?

I think they just wanted someone who was very smart to be able to come in and pick things up faster than anyone else. The problem is, you could be a 20 year software development veteran, or an MIT graduate, or even a rocket scientist, and still have the SAME difficulty curve of learning their ridiculous platform because it is a nuanced piece of software with no sense of intuitive, end user learning (i.e. badly designed in terms of UX). It's like trying to learn the intricacies of stamp collecting. No thanks.

Why bother with this section? It obviously won't help.

One of the Worst Tech Companies in the RTP

Former Employee - Junior Developer  in  Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Junior Developer in Cary, NC

I worked at SciQuest full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free soda and coffee, that's about it.

Cons

Company culture
    Management (really bad at their jobs)
    Products (unstable, useless)
    Training (product training sessions are useless and boring, and there is 0 development training or documentation)
    Code base (in an awful state due to management shoving in last-minute features, over and over)
    Slightly below average pay for the area.

For your own health, I urge you to please stay away from this company.

Leave

There is better out there

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I worked at SciQuest full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amidst the chaos and backstabbing, there were some really great people there. The pay is competitive and the perks align with most software companies in the area.

Cons

Management is unapproachable, there is often a lack in clear processes, and the stress to meet deadlines can be unbearable. I worked with developers who were constantly stressed and worked seven days a week. It wasn't supposed to be the norm, but it became that way as SQ gobbled up smaller, more unorganized companies along the way. The work just continued to pile on and if you weren't able to learn the old system while working nearly 100% of the time of the new software programs, expect harsh criticism.

Speak with your employees, have conversations, coach them, and don't be so quick to take another person's word as gospel and make your assessments. You're not going to be able to encourage growth and close performance gaps by not understanding your employee's workload, their abilities, and their needs for improving performance without having an open door.

Worst Company Culture Ever! Horrible management!

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Cary, NC

I worked at SciQuest full-time for more than a year

Pros

Casual dress, Canes tix, benefits

Cons

The culture and management at SciQuest was the worst I've ever experienced. I came in and met a demanding deadline in my first 3 months only to be told a few weeks later that there was a target on my back. After having 3 different bosses in 16 months I was let go and told that I was not the right person for the job. Only a few months before I was given a raise during my review and told I was performing well. Revolving door of managers ensures that you will get screwed at this company!

Create an environment where people are NOT afraid to speak the truth or provide feedback. The CEO tells employees to focus on outputs not inputs. Well your inputs suck and therefore so do your outputs! Intimidating employees is no way to motivate them. And keep it classy, lose the profanity and dressing down people in front of everyone.

If you can, stay away from client delivery and the client delivery managers at SciQuest

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I worked at SciQuest full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you are not constantly micro managed by management, its fun to work with clients and help them configure a new system from start to finish.

Cons

The client delivery department has the worst managers. They have no clue what we do day-to-day to implement clients, most are brought in from outside the company (people rarely move up into management positions) and are very poor motivators. Completely out of touch.

Some managers are on power trips and micro manage to the point of it being harassment. Many good employees have left due to this type of treatment by poor managers.

Hard workers rarely get recognized or acknowledged. There is no such thing as a raise. They also expect a lot of travel and time away from your family.

Why does client delivery have so much turnover in a bad economy?

Get rid of the micro managers in client delivery. Client delivery needs better direction overall.

BRIBERY wow sounds like Upper Mngt is bribing people to say good things about the company

Former Employee - PAQA  in  Cary, NC
    Former Employee - PAQA in Cary, NC

I worked at SciQuest full-time for less than a year

Pros

Wow off the top of my head I cant think of any other than free coffee and soft drinks

Cons

Most of Mngt needs to go back to Mngt 101 and a good number of people need to have an attitude adjustment and realize that they are NOT the greatest thing since sliced bread and that they are not better than everyone else.
    My advice to anyone in this company, if you see a window to exit this company TAKE IT before the train wreck happens.

Mngt needs to open their eyes and understand why there is such a turnover in people in this company, they also need to work with most of the PM’s and bring them off the high horse they think that they are riding. Of course none of this will ever happen until the CEO changes his personality and stops putting people down and stops using four letter words when talking to people especially in groups.
    As fas as most but not all the HR folks, you better go back to get re-educated on how HR should be conducted.

Fantastic people in challenging environment

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Cary, NC

I worked at SciQuest full-time

Pros

The benefits are above average.

Cons

The culture does not encourage teamwork.

Focus more on employees and culture.

Worked for SciQuest? Contribute to the Community!