SciQuest

Be The First To
Add Photos

SciQuest President, CEO, and Director Stephen J. Wiehe

Stephen J. Wiehe

Pros
  • Free Soda and coffee, decent pay, checks cash, not much else can be said in favor of the company(in 7 reviews)

• Free soda and coffee, that's about it(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • some of the management team is awful(in 3 reviews)

• Very unsophisticated and patronizing execs(in 4 reviews)

23 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Don't let other reviews scare you away -- make up your own mind

Infrastructure/Production Support (Current Employee) Morrisville, NC

Pros-- Management respects and recognizes extra effort
    -- REALLY INCREDIBLY knowledgeable coworkers who are very helpful
    -- Free Gym memberships, soda, and other perks
    -- Interesting work that I actually enjoy doing
    -- Dev and test environments are actually appropriately engineered to reflect production
    -- They hire permanent full-time employees rather than the current trend of "rent-to-own" contractors.

I was very reluctant to accept this job because of such low Glassdoor ratings. However, my experience has been nothing but positive. I have yet to witness the incompetent out-of-touch micromanaging managers that many have written about (though the comments about the CEO seem to be spot on). I'm given flexibility to do my job the way I believe is appropriate. My management team provides me with the flexibility to take care of work and family. My co-workers are incredible -- extremely knowledgeable, helpful, and happy to share their expertise to anyone who wants to learn.

SciQuest has acquired a lot of companies in order to build out their product set. If I had to venture a guess, I would suspect that many of the negative comments reflect the culture change and pains associated with having your company bought out. Or perhaps other parts of the company just truly are terrible and I have been insulated from that.

Cons-- Yes, CEO does have superiority complex -- but show me one that doesn't
    -- Silo'ed parts of the company with minimal communication and cooperation
    -- Like any place else, priorities shift depending on where the flames are at any given time

Advice to Senior Management-- to the CEO -- I know you like to say you are "just like us". But you REALLY aren't! You aren't a single parent. You don't have to manage on one salary (and if you do, yours is probably 10 times what mine is). You don't have a special needs child who requires specialized care. You don't have to work in a building that goes for days at a time without Air Conditioning and frequent power grid failures. And I'm guessing you don't have to use monitors that are at least 10 years old. You don't even have to use the same door that the rest of us use -- you have your own private entrance. So no... you are NOT "just like us".

Terrible mistake

Technical Support Specialist, Level II (Former Employee) Cary, NC

ProsThey're building a new building in Morrisville and plan to move into it in August of 2014. If you're there for a year, you can move somewhere else. SelectSite support personnel usually ended up migrating to Client Partners, Client Delivery, and Solutions/Technical Consultants, and I firmly believe it was to get away from the phones in support and having dirt shoveled on you by the previously mentioned departments. Contract Director guys seemed pretty happy with where they were, at least.

ConsI'm giving myself away to anyone who's worked with me before by going into detail. Good thing I don't care.

Personally, it was a mistake for me to apply for the Technical Support Level 2 position. I should have waited for a better role more suited to me such as a QA Engineer or a Jr Java Developer. I thought, indicative of the term "Level 2" and the fact that they have Level 1s that we would be a proper escalation point. Nope. They're using Level 1s to do one thing and Level 2s to do another. Which means Level 2s are right there on the front lines to get interrupted in the middle of their highly involved investigation and drop everything to deal with that. Insane.

There are two different Tech Support Level 2 teams for two different products: SelectSite and Contract Director. I started with SelectSite and that effectively crushed my motivation to care about anything to do with that place. I may still be there right now if I started with Contract Director, because at least they make regular use of SQL Server and eventually get into coding .NET via C#. But both teams ended up fighting over me, so a compromise was made where they wanted me to be some "hybrid" role that supported both applications (at the same pay as everyone else {which I know because I asked people how much they made}), starting with SelectSite and eventually I'd be moved to Contract Director. When the decision was made to finally move me to Contract Director permanently (because they knew that I was not interested in learning SelectSite in an end-user application-support capacity... you can hire other trained monkeys to do that, thanks), I was told I'd still be stuck in SelectSite for two months while the new poor saps got trained. Oh, and we're going to reduce the shift I was on down to a 2 man crew again. Have fun! By this time, I was already burned out of Tech Support and customer support in general, so I put in my two weeks.

The job description and even the questioning during the interview processes made it seem like there would be way more hands-on technical experience put into practice. Why ask me about SQL or if I have solid Java/object-oriented experience if you're never going to use it? I feel like I was lied to and that the position was NOT as advertised. It was an utter waste of my time and my skill set. And this was voiced to management several times.

With SelectSite, you're basically learning how to use their bloated, hyper-customized-based-on-continuous-customer-feedback platform/application and support end user questions about it. Even long timers (5+ years) are still learning new things about it because it's just so immense. The integrations alone would require someone to sit you down and illustrate all the finer points. And this is the easy part!

The hard part is trying to learn this on your own because THERE IS NO TRAINING. They have NO processes. And the processes they are trying to put into place (after the fact) are half-baked ("yeah, just sit with this guy for now"). No one has time to invest into putting time and thought into making things better because everyone is overworked and stressed out. And, most of all, miserable. And yet, everyone there thinks this is just, "oh, you should have seen what it used to be. it'll get better. this is just how it has to be." Really?

I think they just wanted someone who was very smart to be able to come in and pick things up faster than anyone else. The problem is, you could be a 20 year software development veteran, or an MIT graduate, or even a rocket scientist, and still have the SAME difficulty curve of learning their ridiculous platform because it is a nuanced piece of software with no sense of intuitive, end user learning (i.e. badly designed in terms of UX). It's like trying to learn the intricacies of stamp collecting. No thanks.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy bother with this section? It obviously won't help.

One of the Worst Tech Companies in the RTP

Junior Developer (Former Employee) Cary, NC

ProsFree soda and coffee, that's about it.

ConsCompany culture
    Management (really bad at their jobs)
    Products (unstable, useless)
    Training (product training sessions are useless and boring, and there is 0 development training or documentation)
    Code base (in an awful state due to management shoving in last-minute features, over and over)
    Slightly below average pay for the area.

For your own health, I urge you to please stay away from this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company if you are self-motivated and independent, but this company is not for everyone

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cary, NC

Prosflexible hours

good benefits

good pay

high percentage of people who care about their jobs, making a good product and making customers happy

if you reach outside your cube, you can find people willing to help you (although they may or may not actually be able to help you)

most customers are very happy

recognition for hard work is there if you work for a good manager

a lot of nice and caring people

people are not just numbers here like they are at other companies - what you do here does
    make an impact for the company growth and our customers

the product is interesting, vast and always changing so that you will never be bored if you are in a job that suits you

Conssome of the management team is awful

there is no "how-to" guide here...you have to be self-motivated and figure out how to do things for yourself and ask others when you need help

if you want to move around to other jobs, you need to create that opportunity yourself, but I think this is true in most companies

some departments/teams are cliquish

some teams don't feel cohesive and the members compete with each other instead of working together

growing very quickly and acquiring smaller companies...issues with integrating them and feeling like one company

Advice to Senior Managementemployees are afraid to be honest on their employee surveys - do something to make this more anonymous so that they can be honest without fear of retaliation

some of the management team is terrible, and if employees had a way to give this feedback without fear, you could find out who this is and replace them (the manager assimilation meetings are NOT a good way to do it). perhaps employees could have an assigned HR partner to talk to once a quarter about their job, their team, management, etc - someone they will trust and feel comfortable with.

need more teambuilding for each team/department and a way for employees from the legacy SciQuest and other companies to get to know each other

some really great people work here...try to keep them! :)

don't lose sight of what makes us a great company: our customer focus AND employee focus

I don't think most of the negative reviews I've read are representative of any of the people I've worked with, but perhaps other departments aren't as lucky as the ones I've worked with.

There is better out there

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cary, NC

ProsAmidst the chaos and backstabbing, there were some really great people there. The pay is competitive and the perks align with most software companies in the area.

ConsManagement is unapproachable, there is often a lack in clear processes, and the stress to meet deadlines can be unbearable. I worked with developers who were constantly stressed and worked seven days a week. It wasn't supposed to be the norm, but it became that way as SQ gobbled up smaller, more unorganized companies along the way. The work just continued to pile on and if you weren't able to learn the old system while working nearly 100% of the time of the new software programs, expect harsh criticism.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpeak with your employees, have conversations, coach them, and don't be so quick to take another person's word as gospel and make your assessments. You're not going to be able to encourage growth and close performance gaps by not understanding your employee's workload, their abilities, and their needs for improving performance without having an open door.

Worst Company Culture Ever! Horrible management!

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Cary, NC

ProsCasual dress, Canes tix, benefits

ConsThe culture and management at SciQuest was the worst I've ever experienced. I came in and met a demanding deadline in my first 3 months only to be told a few weeks later that there was a target on my back. After having 3 different bosses in 16 months I was let go and told that I was not the right person for the job. Only a few months before I was given a raise during my review and told I was performing well. Revolving door of managers ensures that you will get screwed at this company!

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate an environment where people are NOT afraid to speak the truth or provide feedback. The CEO tells employees to focus on outputs not inputs. Well your inputs suck and therefore so do your outputs! Intimidating employees is no way to motivate them. And keep it classy, lose the profanity and dressing down people in front of everyone.

If you can, stay away from client delivery and the client delivery managers at SciQuest

(Former Employee) Cary, NC

ProsIf you are not constantly micro managed by management, its fun to work with clients and help them configure a new system from start to finish.

ConsThe client delivery department has the worst managers. They have no clue what we do day-to-day to implement clients, most are brought in from outside the company (people rarely move up into management positions) and are very poor motivators. Completely out of touch.

Some managers are on power trips and micro manage to the point of it being harassment. Many good employees have left due to this type of treatment by poor managers.

Hard workers rarely get recognized or acknowledged. There is no such thing as a raise. They also expect a lot of travel and time away from your family.

Why does client delivery have so much turnover in a bad economy?

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the micro managers in client delivery. Client delivery needs better direction overall.

Great Company

Project Manager (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsHard working, Rewards high performers, Doesn't tolerate poor or lazy results. Clients appreciate your work efforts. Really good benefit package.

ConsYou have to be willing to work. If you want a job to just hide and avoid work try the US Government or SAS

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to reward high performers. Good but could be better. There are still low performers that are hiding. Company takes too much time giving them an opportunity to 'improve' recognize they are lazy and get rid of them. Continue to give us more flexibility in how we do our jobs. Getting better but could stillimprove.

BRIBERY wow sounds like Upper Mngt is bribing people to say good things about the company

PAQA (Former Employee) Cary, NC

ProsWow off the top of my head I cant think of any other than free coffee and soft drinks

ConsMost of Mngt needs to go back to Mngt 101 and a good number of people need to have an attitude adjustment and realize that they are NOT the greatest thing since sliced bread and that they are not better than everyone else.
    My advice to anyone in this company, if you see a window to exit this company TAKE IT before the train wreck happens.

Advice to Senior ManagementMngt needs to open their eyes and understand why there is such a turnover in people in this company, they also need to work with most of the PM’s and bring them off the high horse they think that they are riding. Of course none of this will ever happen until the CEO changes his personality and stops putting people down and stops using four letter words when talking to people especially in groups.
    As fas as most but not all the HR folks, you better go back to get re-educated on how HR should be conducted.

Fantastic people in challenging environment

Project Manager (Former Employee) Cary, NC

ProsThe benefits are above average.

ConsThe culture does not encourage teamwork.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on employees and culture.

Worked for SciQuest? Contribute to the Community!