SciQuest

SciQuest Reviews in Raleigh-Durham, NC

Updated December 12, 2014
Updated December 12, 2014
2.7

SciQuest President & Chief Executive Officer, Chairman of the Board Stephen J. Wiehe
Stephen J. Wiehe

Pros
  • Work/life balance was good, at least in the area where I worked (in 7 reviews)

• Work from home one day per week (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much work, its great to be needed, but my work-life balance suffers (in 4 reviews)

• Everyone is leaving the Edmonton office but the company is not hiring into the vacant positions (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

34 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work. Yes, there are challenges, but the grass isn't always greener...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits:
     - 401k with 50% match on your first $5,000 ($2,500 free money)
     - Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP) with 85% buy-in on up to 10% of your base salary (essentially a 15% guaranteed return with potential for much more)
     - Lots of Paid Time Off (PTO) - after 4 full years, you accrue PTO at 9 hours every 1/2 month (that's 27 days for the year) plus 2 personal days...yep, that's one day shy of 6 weeks of PTO per year
     - Flexibility for work/life balance - option to work from home on occasion as long as you don't abuse it and are productive (yes, you're still held accountable for your job)
     - Most departments now have training budget for personal growth (this has been a weakness in the past)
     - Pay is very competitive. I’m sure this varies by department and role, but I think it’s certainly competitive. Good annual bonus payouts too.
     - Opportunity for advancement – this is all relative. Sure, it’s a relatively small company so there aren’t THAT many opportunities, but if you’re a leader, you will be recognized and promoted in accordance with your strengths.

New Office is great...spacious...and brand new. A huge break-room with two big screen TVs and the back patio are great. Great for eating lunch in the office, but still getting away from your desk.

Lots of Great People:
    - As with any company, there are “bad eggs” lying around, but the far majority of people around here are hard-working, smart, ethical people who want the company to be successful, and want to have fun doing it.

Strong culture and principals…things like:
    - Feedback is a gift. Yes, there are some folks that don’t take feedback very well, but the majority of the management team genuinely appreciate feedback, even negative feedback, and will make an effort to fix the problem.
    - Have an open kitchen. I’ve interacted with every one of the senior management group and feel comfortable walking into any of their offices and talking to them about an issue. I’m sure there are others who don’t feel comfortable doing that, but it’s not because the management team isn’t approachable. For those who write that making use of the open kitchen philosophy is viewed as dissent, that’s just not true. If you have feedback for an executive, think it through so that it’s not just whining…maybe propose a solution or two. And deal in facts. If you do that, executives will listen to you.
    - Say thank you. We have quarterly “Q” Awards to publicly call out top performers, but even beyond that, it’s a regular thing around here to hear “thank you” at all levels of the organization.
    - Focus on three constituents equally…customers, shareholders and employees. OK, there are obviously times when it feels like a decision is more focused on shareholders than the other two, but more often than not, decisions are made looking at all three. Long term, if customers aren’t happy and/or employees aren’t happy, it will ultimately make the shareholders not happy, so nothing is done in a vacuum.

Hurricanes and Durham Bulls tickets

Annual Club Trip for top performers...I believe there were 35 or 40 names on the list from all offices who got to go. It's not just for Sales and Execs.

Cons

It’s too easy for underperformers to hang around too long while the rest of the folks carry their weight.

Weak middle management in some departments. Too many are managers and not leaders. Most are not process oriented people so processes are stale and not continually improving.

Acquisitions are tough, especially in the software world. And when acquired technology provides surprises, it’s a long and arduous process to work through to fix them. I think we’ve learned some lessons here, but it took several acquisitions to learn those lessons.

Onboarding process needs an overhaul. It is too much of “trial-by-fire”. We have complex products that take a long time to learn and be prepared to support / implement / develop and there’s an expectation to be fully productive very quickly.

Be quicker to identify the “bad eggs” and find a humane way to move on. If it was a bad hire, pay them a reasonable severance and let them go. It’s OK to acknowledge a mistake in hiring someone. Don’t let one bad hire crush the morale for an entire department while you wait 6-12 months to figure out how to let that person go.

Be more diligent in hiring. Spend more time and money on the front end to do personality and competency testing to be more certain you’re hiring folks that are capable of the job and a good fit. You can’t bat a thousand, but we can get better in this area. And for the misses, see the point above.

Renew the focus on data. We have a principal called Deal in Facts which seems to be less important than it used to be.

Hire folks (especially in middle management) that are continuous improvement minded.

Invest in the onboarding process. While I understand the competing force of getting people productive quickly, it’s clear that we have too many people who are not ready, yet they are already “in the wild” which ultimately impacts customer satisfaction and the morale of those employees who have to “clean up after them”.

Skip level meetings: For those who don't feel comfortable sharing feedback to their manager for fear of retribution, make sure they have a safe mechanism to provide that feedback. Too many middle managers are not doing a good job, but their superiors don't know it. Skip a level and come ask for feedback, but find a way to assure that person providing feedback that it's safe and won't come back to them.

Really, really work on establishing genuine relationships with as many folks in the company as possible. This is hard to do. It's time consuming. It won't work with everyone, but if 20% of the company has a truly genuine relationship with at least one exec team member, then they will be advocates for the exec team and it will begin to build trust throughout the organization. If Bob doesn't have a genuine relationship with anyone on the exec team, but his best buddy Scott does, Scott's trust for the exec team will have a significant impact on Bob's trust for the exec team. Work on it all the time, not just when it's convenient.

People lie but numbers don't - No longer a growth company! On the downward spiral in sales and innovation

Current Employee - Finance in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Finance in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leader in Education, PS and Healthcare

Cons

Very little growth left in Education, PS and HC verticals for SciQuest. The strategy to capture growth in commercial markets is a failure and producing no growth (Reason company had to restate guidance for 2014) causing the stock to drop 50%. If you want to work at a growth company this is not the place. The CEO and CFO will state on earnings calls they are picking up new customers and experiencing growth in commercial but that's all point solutions and small deals. Not a single enterprise wide deal sold in commercial markets in 2014 and their largest commercial customer cancelled its global rollout due to product limitations. But the CEO blames it on sales execution

PEOPLE LIE, NUMBERS AND EVIDENCE DO NOT!
    Its not a sales execution issue its a lack of a stable platform, slow innovation and inability to meet a global organizations requirements issue that has caused your disastrous downward slide in 2014 that's cut the market cap by 40%
    SAP, Oracle and Lawson have the platform to meet commercial enterprise needs and SciQuest does not, despite your rhetoric.

Dysfunctional

Current Employee - Product Owner in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Product Owner in Cary, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free soda and coffee..good health benefits

Cons

management has no clue what their team is up to and drives the bus over anyone especially if a person does not agree or asks too many questions. you will be shown the door have seen it happen way to often. There is huge turn over especially on the sourcing side.

My manager in particular had asked "so, how many hours to you put in at night or the weekend?" Really?

Pay attention and don't tell your people to write rave reviews about the company

Company is for sale & CEO needs employees to write positive reviews to boost stock price & make appearance all is well

Current Employee - Global Accounts/Sales Engineering Manager in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Global Accounts/Sales Engineering Manager in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and 401K are good. Compensation is far below the industry and you never earn what they tell you can when you interviewed

Cons

Its obvious the company is on the block to be sold in 2014/15 and the CEO in the last quarterly meeting asked all employees to come on glassdoor and write good reviews about him and the company... obviously to make an acquisition look better to potential suitors and boost CEO, CFO equity but no one elses.

Don't be fooled, the culture, products and sales are all sinking and corporate customers are bailing on deals.

Consider carefully if you are interviewing as the company will be owned by someone else in Dec or early 2015 and a RIF is coming

We are not fooled by your antics to raise the stock price to make the company attractive for an acquisition and line your pockets at the expense of the rest of the employees

Relatively good place to work if you enjoy banging your head against the wall or you used to work for AllScripts

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice new office, pay is competitive, some of the best worker bee people you will ever meet, free coffee

High performing individuals seem to be well taken care of. I am not sure what the "rules" are to be in that select group though.

Cons

I have seen the company's strategy shift in the little time I have been here. They used to have a really good software application that they saturated the higher education market with. In the last 2 years they have purchased 4 companies that have horrible product quality. I have heard horror stories about some of the issues people in support and professional services have had to deal with in Sourcing, TSM, and Contract Director. I am not sure what the issues are but heard QA and product architecture is not at the quality we want it to be.

We just got a new office in the last 2 months however someone thought it would be a good idea to only have microwaves on the first floor. There are double the people on the second floor yet we have no microwave. How many does the first floor have 8....yeah that makes perfect sense.

Certain employees are treated differently.

Most of my experience with SciQuest has been pretty good. However when your CEO drops more f-bombs then Eminem in concert there is probably an issue. I have read all of the reviews about SciQuest on Glassdoor. If you read them you will notice a very distinct pattern. It is a great place to work if you are in the right department or have the right manager.

For the most part people are pretty happy....unless you are going for a promotion and one of the candidates used to work at Allscripts. Don't get me wrong, the majority of people I have met in my 2 years here from AllScripts are actually pretty good. I just seems like they are the only ones getting management jobs. In talking to some of the old timers, (5+ years) they share a similar viewpoint.

I have heard some real horror stories about people that actually interface with the CEO though. People say he acts very unprofessional. He curses, bullies, and says very sexist things. In my 2 years here I have only seen him at our company meetings. In all my past companies I have really looked up to the CEO and respected them greatly. He actually had the audacity to ask all of his employees to come on GlassDoor and post a company review. He stressed making a positive one to bring up the company ratings. His thinking was the reason our rating was so low is because only people "leaving" posted reviews. This is my first time on GlassDoor and I am very glad he urged me to read this site.

A Good Place to Call Home

Current Employee - Product Owner in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Product Owner in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The amount of free drinks has already been covered. We have it, and it is a nice touch. We also have a very nice new building that really turns up the level of coolness in the company. I came into the company as a developer and am now working in project management after two years. Many people have complained about there being cliques around the company. They do exist, but all you need to do is just say "hi" to another person and get to know them. I've been seeing a change in upper management were things are starting to get better insofar as ideas filtering from the bottom up. Management has acknowledged that this is a problem, and they are actively working on it. I'm paid really well, I work from home one day a week, and my schedule can be as flexible as I need it to be.

Cons

There is some chaos when taking on new acquisitions, as can be expected. There have been some bad decisions made on the direction of software development. It bothers me that we have one main platform on Java and a few other things that are in C#. Sometimes I feel like the wrong people are making decisions, but this is nothing that I haven't experienced anywhere else.

Show your faces at more times than just the quarterly meetings. Take a walk around the building and be a buddy instead of just being a big boss. Engage your employees but don't micromanage. There is a bit of awkwardness when the CEO is walking around because most of us don't know how to engage him. Be an active part of coaching the inputs!

Love this place

Current Employee - Technical Manager in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Technical Manager in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Our people and our culture

Cons

We are a growing company and aligning our customer expectations across our many product lines, and getting the support services in line company-wide has been quite a challenge.

Keep the customer first. I don't think this should be an issue.

a review from the inside

Current Employee - Software Developer in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Sciquest is a great company to work for; I've been at Sciquest for seven years. From my experience, employees have a great opportunity to improve themselves, move to higher positions, and get recognition from their manager for hard work. Work, at times, is challenging but fair. Getting the job at Sciquest was the best decision I've ever made. I can say with complete honesty my manager tells everyone in my group to "take care of family first, then work", very cool.

-Free gym membership
    -great health insurance
    -upper management is VERY responsive
    -401K matching
    -employee stock purchase program

Cons

There is no perfect company or people. That said, sometimes work is stressful. Don't expect to get a cakewalk at Sciquest if you don't want to work.

Great place to work

I have been working at SciQuest full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've been working at SciQuest for about a year and a half and love it here. The company is well-run, the products are solid, and on my team everyone helps out each other. Lots of smart, fun people work here. Processes are well defined and there are resources and individuals available if you have questions or need help with your work. Leadership seems to listen to employees and regularly recognizes individuals that go above and beyond. The company culture is great - I enjoy the community service activities that we can participate in, we have regular social events like beer Fridays, access to Durham Bulls and Hurricanes tickets, etc. I've read some negative reviews on here recently and they don't accurately describe what I've experienced.

Cons

Agree with another review that departments are somewhat insulated

CEO asked me to write review to increase his negative ratings. Don't work here

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cary, NC

I worked at SciQuest full-time

Pros

Co-workers are smart and enjoyable to work with

Cons

Narcissistic CEO asked his employees at all hands company meeting to come on here and write positive reviews of him and the company to increase his low approval percentage. All this while the stock price lost 50% of its value.
    Sales people, engineers and support do not make much money but the company makes sure its fully leveraged.

Stop asking employees to pad reviews and stabilize the product ahead of your ego