SciQuest

SciQuest Reviews

Updated February 19, 2015
Updated February 19, 2015
2.6

SciQuest President & Chief Executive Officer, Chairman of the Board Stephen J. Wiehe
Stephen J. Wiehe

Pros
  • Work/life balance was good, at least in the area where I worked (in 7 reviews)

• Work from home one day per week (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much work, its great to be needed, but my work-life balance suffers (in 4 reviews)

• Everyone is leaving the Edmonton office but the company is not hiring into the vacant positions (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

1. Featured Review

Good place to work and opportunities to advance

Current Employee - Developer
    Current Employee - Developer

I have been working at SciQuest full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company has great growth and opportunities for advancement within the company. A lot of positions are filled internally which speaks volumes to me of a company that is trying to keep good people and give them opportunities to grow.

They offer competitive salaries and great benefits.

There are quite a few perks and the management is good at letting employees balance work-life priorities.

Cons

.NET developer opportunities are pretty slim. The company's flag ship product is a Java based application. Products that have been acquired through acquisition of other companies, may have been written in .NET, but those products have a tendency of being sunset in a few of years as they port the product over to their Java-based flagship product. So, if you are really wanting stick around for a long time, knowing or learning Java is a good idea.

Seasoned Professional with the company

I have been working at SciQuest full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free drinks, good benefit package, paid time off

Cons

No career growth, very little work/life balance in some departments, very clique-ish

The End is Near

Current Employee - Group Vice President Commercial in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Group Vice President Commercial in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Highly intelligent CEO who is extremely focused on shareholder value and inorganic growth to maximize that value. The Board is equally focused on this objective and all are highly accomplished executives.

Cons

Very little of this brain power is applied to servicing the customer. Most of the focus is to maximize profitability and use the cash generation to increase the stock price or make the next acquisition. In the grand scheme of things this isn't a bad focus, but when you have sub-standard technology compared to the competition it is a bad recipe.

Go private and put in a Commercially focused CEO.

Great products and people

Current Employee - Professional Services
    Current Employee - Professional Services

I have been working at SciQuest

Pros

Leading edge products, broad solution set. Good salaries and benefits

Cons

Leadership opportunities in remote offices can be improved

Rude Abusive Culture from executive management

Current Employee - Global Accounts/Sales Engineering Manager in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Global Accounts/Sales Engineering Manager in Cary, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time (more than a year)

Pros

health benefits and free coffee, soda and occasionally Hurricanes tix

Cons

Worst kept secret in the office is that in January QBR's the CEO repeatedly berated managers with profanity and the F-Bomb and threatened and insulted his employees. When managers give the CEO honest feedback on the product limitations, development shortcomings and failures he blows his top and yells its a sales execution problem. An Ostrich sticking his head in the sand denying its a product issue.
    How come you haven't sold any full suite end to end solutions in 2014? What happened to those large full suiet deals that you said weren't lost and just pushed in Q1 "14, well they still haven't closed a year later

Being rude, swearing at, insulting and berating managers is not leadership. Its classless and shows your insecurity. You have cronies on your team and board and you cant get the stock out of its lowest point with this behavior
    Please resign on behalf of your employees

A Sad Caste Society

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at SciQuest full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Others before me have expressed SciQuest's redeeming features well: free soda in the (now quasi-monitored) breakrooms, free coffee and video game machines that people are now afraid to play (but once were encouraged to do so).

Cons

It is a company that will kill your soul. They talk about "accountability" but you need to understand that that concept applies only to those below the top leadership. At one time, employees sensed that there was a true commitment to the customers and their satisfaction and success. That perspective was long gone after the IPO.
    Again, others have commented about the CEO and his demeanor and vocabulary. All of that is true.

You need to understand that this section is only geared to Glassdoor readers as management has no desire for input. I think their opportunity to evolve in a positive direction has passed. The values they mention (open table, etc.) are not even lip-service any longer. The customer is not a focus for them any longer.

Miserable experience only saved by great team members

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Cary, NC

I worked at SciQuest full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits were good, stock options, sport events, company events were well run

Cons

One simple word: leadership. There is any. Leaders are foul-mouthed, bullies that don't listen and just blame anyone in eyesight. Company goal is to improve stock price first to make exec team rich and customers second, employees third.

Stop saying "feedback is a gift" when you use it to berate employees and blame them for your lack of technology marketplace challenges.

A company on a decline

I have been working at SciQuest full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

SciQuest has a great work-life balance. It's probably why so many people are still there. Many managers do not micromanage.

Cons

So much of what others have said is true. The culture is absolutely terrible, and it starts at the top. They will target people in support and find someone to attack for all of the problems. With the job market picking up, I cannot imagine that people will stay around to tolerate it. The company is not doing well, and everyone can tell it. It's just a matter of time before SciQuest is bought by other company. I have been at SciQuest longer than most, and every time the turnover is brought up, you hear that they will address it. It's not changed since I started. For the first three years, I really thought it was everyone else, but when you see your friends leave, you realize that everything on Glassdoor is true. That's been what I have come to realize in the last three years. Having been a "Questie" since before it went public, I can say that was the worst thing to ever happen for SciQuest. There is a reason that I can think of very few non-executives that have been here as long as me.

The company is terrible at acquisitions, and it's created havoc. Realize that your employees are just miserable. I am tired of seeing great people leave the company because nothing ever changes. The company is in serious need of a clean house at the top.

We've jumped the Chasm...

Current Employee - Current in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Current in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time

Pros

The product underpinnings are strong. The biggest strength is the people in the trenches and the current loyalty of the clients. Overall benefits are good, 401K and stock purchase plan. Salaries have become more competitive, which was not the case in the past. And, yes, it is nice to get free sodas and have pinball in the lunch rooms. The new offices are great and we finally have plenty of parking.

Cons

Product development has fallen short on its delivery of features and quality, over the past couple of years, which has provided for challenges in the field. Clients are still fairly loyal but are not as trusting to jump on a new product or release until they know all the functionality is there and it is relatively bug free. Upper management does not feel this is a management or product issue but a sales issue. It is hard to get buy-in for a new product when clients have been burned and are not as trusting. If this continues, I think we will have even more issues and challenges at renewal time.
    There are many comments in other posts about our CEO which are true and cause internal distrust. He does ask in the Scoop meetings for people to go to Glassdoor and make positive posts to raise the approval percentages and help keep the stock price up. The “F” bomb gets dropped in meetings a lot which I know have taken people off guard, especially in the new hire meetings. You will hear often that “feedback is a gift” but that it is only true if you agree with him. If not, look out.

The book “Crossing the Chasm” may have come out in the 1990’s but is very relevant to our business today. Five or six years ago, we had the early adopters join us and buy into the vision. They were tolerant of issues along the way. Today, we are having stronger competition, in a market we built, and are now trying to bring the laggards into the fold in our traditional markets and more savvy buyers in our new ones. We have crossed the chasm and must adjust if we are going to continue to dominate.

Too many excuses from the corner office

Former Employee - Account Executive in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Cary, NC

I worked at SciQuest full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people ...good benefits and some perks. Talented people who want to to do the best job possible for their customers and prospects

Cons

Too many acquisitions and not enough focus on delivering a suite of products versus point solutions. Don't be fooled SciQuest will tell you they have products that are integrated but it is just not true ... very hard for these guys to integrate with multiple systems and charts of accounts ... products require multiple points of integration and reporting is still an area where the tools have deficiencies.

Focus on delivering tools that work versus acquiring companies just because they are accretive to earnings.