SciQuest

SciQuest Reviews

Updated December 12, 2014
Updated December 12, 2014
2.7

SciQuest President & Chief Executive Officer, Chairman of the Board Stephen J. Wiehe
Stephen J. Wiehe

Pros
  • Work/life balance was good, at least in the area where I worked (in 7 reviews)

• Work from home one day per week (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much work, its great to be needed, but my work-life balance suffers (in 4 reviews)

• Everyone is leaving the Edmonton office but the company is not hiring into the vacant positions (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall, a good place

Current Employee - Product Owner
    Current Employee - Product Owner

I have been working at SciQuest full-time (more than an year)

Pros

* There are a lot of really smart people who work here. My coworkers are far and away the best thing about this company.
    * Benefits are pretty good - PTO, 401k, insurance, etc. Also free coffee and soda, as well as Hurricanes/Bulls tickets available throughout the year.
    * I honestly think the company values work/life balance. I don't work in the evenings/weekends unless it's a rare "crunch time" where we're trying to push to get something finished. This may vary by department, but this is pretty consistent across my department.
    * The new office space is really nice!

Cons

* Ok, to address the comments in previous reviews - yes, the CEO did mention Glassdoor at a recent company meeting. However, he did not ask people to come here and write fake good reviews. He just asked people to write reviews. As with any other "review" site on the internet, negative people with negative experiences will seek out a way to complain, while people who are perfectly happy won't. To give potential employees a better overall view of what the company is like, he asked people to write reviews about their experiences here. This was probably not a great idea, since several people interpreted it as "please go write good things", but oh well.
    * Communication is not the best. I know that's always a challenge when you have 500+ employees, but it seems like information rarely makes it all the way to the top or bottom of the org chart.
    * In much the same way that my coworkers are the best thing about this company, they are also the worst - those people writing incredibly negative reviews are the people with bad attitudes, and I hate working with them. I wish they would leave and take their bad attitudes somewhere else. Though every company has those bad apples, they definitely have the ability to ruin an otherwise good day.
    * It's tough to move up in this company. If you want to become a manager, there is no good process/training in place. It's disappointing for people who want to do more, but don't know how to.

* Help your employees grow and move up in the company. We have entirely too many managers who are external hires. That's unacceptable with a company with so many people who are ready and willing to move up and do more.
    * Keep working on communication. It can always get better, and it will get worse if you don't maintain a focus on it.
    * The yearly self-review process is so cumbersome and time consuming. Can we make this easier? It feels like such a chore and takes forever.

People lie but numbers don't - No longer a growth company! On the downward spiral in sales and innovation

Current Employee - Finance in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Finance in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leader in Education, PS and Healthcare

Cons

Very little growth left in Education, PS and HC verticals for SciQuest. The strategy to capture growth in commercial markets is a failure and producing no growth (Reason company had to restate guidance for 2014) causing the stock to drop 50%. If you want to work at a growth company this is not the place. The CEO and CFO will state on earnings calls they are picking up new customers and experiencing growth in commercial but that's all point solutions and small deals. Not a single enterprise wide deal sold in commercial markets in 2014 and their largest commercial customer cancelled its global rollout due to product limitations. But the CEO blames it on sales execution

PEOPLE LIE, NUMBERS AND EVIDENCE DO NOT!
    Its not a sales execution issue its a lack of a stable platform, slow innovation and inability to meet a global organizations requirements issue that has caused your disastrous downward slide in 2014 that's cut the market cap by 40%
    SAP, Oracle and Lawson have the platform to meet commercial enterprise needs and SciQuest does not, despite your rhetoric.

Losing Hope

I have been working at SciQuest full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great immediate coworkers and an interesting product.
    It's definitely never the same day twice.
    Pgh office conveniently located in interesting part of town.

Cons

Upon acquisition, I was initially hopeful that there would be some easing of the existing dysfunctions. I couldn't have been more wrong. Existing drama has been allowed to fester, decisions are being made without an in depth understanding of what the product actually does, and the upper management is completely tone deaf to the regional needs of their remote offices. Just because something is a good fit for NC doesn't make it at all appropriate elsewhere.

We need to step back out in front of the industry, not spend years playing catchup to offer something everyone already has.

Dysfunctional

Current Employee - Product Owner in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Product Owner in Cary, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free soda and coffee..good health benefits

Cons

management has no clue what their team is up to and drives the bus over anyone especially if a person does not agree or asks too many questions. you will be shown the door have seen it happen way to often. There is huge turn over especially on the sourcing side.

My manager in particular had asked "so, how many hours to you put in at night or the weekend?" Really?

Pay attention and don't tell your people to write rave reviews about the company

Smoke and Mirrors

I have been working at SciQuest

Pros

Office is a cool place but not convenient to anything. Work from home one day per week.

Cons

This place is mostly smoke and mirrors. They try and compete with huge multi-national corporations but don't have the experience or management to be taken seriously.
    Management is extremely weak. There is little to no training. The only valuable training is optional after you have been working there for a while. Not many people take this training so most people that work here have no idea about the products that we sell.
    Very few processes in place. Most things change constantly, a huge sign of weakness and instability.
    The management is a huge "cool kids club" and they expect you to bow down to them unconditionally. You are not allowed to voice your opinion. They try and act like they are a new school "collaborative" environment but it is a traditional, "make an appointment with your boss if you want to talk", kind of place.
    Managers don't really know "how" to be managers and very little is invested into making them better. Some managers work from home and travel so you never see them.

There needs to be better training, stronger management, and more of an open environment. Processes put in place and stuck with. Stop shifting departments and team members.

It seems to get worse with every passing month.

Current Employee - Support in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Support in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at SciQuest full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My fellow co-workers and a few of the managers.

Cons

Being acquired by Sciquest, Management in Cart, NC

Listen to the people in your remote locations! You were told by several employees that Highmark was not an insurance option. But as usual (like when you got rid of our HR rep),
     you just ignored us.

I miss CombineNet senior management. You guys are seriously the worst! This is the straw that's broken the camel's back for a lot of us.

Company is for sale & CEO needs employees to write positive reviews to boost stock price & make appearance all is well

Current Employee - Global Accounts/Sales Engineering Manager in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Global Accounts/Sales Engineering Manager in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and 401K are good. Compensation is far below the industry and you never earn what they tell you can when you interviewed

Cons

Its obvious the company is on the block to be sold in 2014/15 and the CEO in the last quarterly meeting asked all employees to come on glassdoor and write good reviews about him and the company... obviously to make an acquisition look better to potential suitors and boost CEO, CFO equity but no one elses.

Don't be fooled, the culture, products and sales are all sinking and corporate customers are bailing on deals.

Consider carefully if you are interviewing as the company will be owned by someone else in Dec or early 2015 and a RIF is coming

We are not fooled by your antics to raise the stock price to make the company attractive for an acquisition and line your pockets at the expense of the rest of the employees

Great place to work. Yes, there are challenges, but the grass isn't always greener...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits:
     - 401k with 50% match on your first $5,000 ($2,500 free money)
     - Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP) with 85% buy-in on up to 10% of your base salary (essentially a 15% guaranteed return with potential for much more)
     - Lots of Paid Time Off (PTO) - after 4 full years, you accrue PTO at 9 hours every 1/2 month (that's 27 days for the year) plus 2 personal days...yep, that's one day shy of 6 weeks of PTO per year
     - Flexibility for work/life balance - option to work from home on occasion as long as you don't abuse it and are productive (yes, you're still held accountable for your job)
     - Most departments now have training budget for personal growth (this has been a weakness in the past)
     - Pay is very competitive. I’m sure this varies by department and role, but I think it’s certainly competitive. Good annual bonus payouts too.
     - Opportunity for advancement – this is all relative. Sure, it’s a relatively small company so there aren’t THAT many opportunities, but if you’re a leader, you will be recognized and promoted in accordance with your strengths.

New Office is great...spacious...and brand new. A huge break-room with two big screen TVs and the back patio are great. Great for eating lunch in the office, but still getting away from your desk.

Lots of Great People:
    - As with any company, there are “bad eggs” lying around, but the far majority of people around here are hard-working, smart, ethical people who want the company to be successful, and want to have fun doing it.

Strong culture and principals…things like:
    - Feedback is a gift. Yes, there are some folks that don’t take feedback very well, but the majority of the management team genuinely appreciate feedback, even negative feedback, and will make an effort to fix the problem.
    - Have an open kitchen. I’ve interacted with every one of the senior management group and feel comfortable walking into any of their offices and talking to them about an issue. I’m sure there are others who don’t feel comfortable doing that, but it’s not because the management team isn’t approachable. For those who write that making use of the open kitchen philosophy is viewed as dissent, that’s just not true. If you have feedback for an executive, think it through so that it’s not just whining…maybe propose a solution or two. And deal in facts. If you do that, executives will listen to you.
    - Say thank you. We have quarterly “Q” Awards to publicly call out top performers, but even beyond that, it’s a regular thing around here to hear “thank you” at all levels of the organization.
    - Focus on three constituents equally…customers, shareholders and employees. OK, there are obviously times when it feels like a decision is more focused on shareholders than the other two, but more often than not, decisions are made looking at all three. Long term, if customers aren’t happy and/or employees aren’t happy, it will ultimately make the shareholders not happy, so nothing is done in a vacuum.

Hurricanes and Durham Bulls tickets

Annual Club Trip for top performers...I believe there were 35 or 40 names on the list from all offices who got to go. It's not just for Sales and Execs.

Cons

It’s too easy for underperformers to hang around too long while the rest of the folks carry their weight.

Weak middle management in some departments. Too many are managers and not leaders. Most are not process oriented people so processes are stale and not continually improving.

Acquisitions are tough, especially in the software world. And when acquired technology provides surprises, it’s a long and arduous process to work through to fix them. I think we’ve learned some lessons here, but it took several acquisitions to learn those lessons.

Onboarding process needs an overhaul. It is too much of “trial-by-fire”. We have complex products that take a long time to learn and be prepared to support / implement / develop and there’s an expectation to be fully productive very quickly.

Be quicker to identify the “bad eggs” and find a humane way to move on. If it was a bad hire, pay them a reasonable severance and let them go. It’s OK to acknowledge a mistake in hiring someone. Don’t let one bad hire crush the morale for an entire department while you wait 6-12 months to figure out how to let that person go.

Be more diligent in hiring. Spend more time and money on the front end to do personality and competency testing to be more certain you’re hiring folks that are capable of the job and a good fit. You can’t bat a thousand, but we can get better in this area. And for the misses, see the point above.

Renew the focus on data. We have a principal called Deal in Facts which seems to be less important than it used to be.

Hire folks (especially in middle management) that are continuous improvement minded.

Invest in the onboarding process. While I understand the competing force of getting people productive quickly, it’s clear that we have too many people who are not ready, yet they are already “in the wild” which ultimately impacts customer satisfaction and the morale of those employees who have to “clean up after them”.

Skip level meetings: For those who don't feel comfortable sharing feedback to their manager for fear of retribution, make sure they have a safe mechanism to provide that feedback. Too many middle managers are not doing a good job, but their superiors don't know it. Skip a level and come ask for feedback, but find a way to assure that person providing feedback that it's safe and won't come back to them.

Really, really work on establishing genuine relationships with as many folks in the company as possible. This is hard to do. It's time consuming. It won't work with everyone, but if 20% of the company has a truly genuine relationship with at least one exec team member, then they will be advocates for the exec team and it will begin to build trust throughout the organization. If Bob doesn't have a genuine relationship with anyone on the exec team, but his best buddy Scott does, Scott's trust for the exec team will have a significant impact on Bob's trust for the exec team. Work on it all the time, not just when it's convenient.

Run away & don't believe the positive reviews - CEO asked employees to come one here and boost his rankings.

I worked at SciQuest full-time (more than an year)

Pros

some decent people in between the backstabbing and cat fighting.
    Canes Tix

Cons

Everything from the top down, especially the CEO and his patronizing, elitist attitudes. Compensation is terrible for the industry. Product is now substandard. Awful corporate culture, "mean girl" and bullying attitudes, no work life balance or flexibility. Run far and fast from this place.

Management doesn't listen to advice. That's their problem.

Also, don't tell your employees to come onto this site and write positive reviews. That's blatant cheating, and it will backfire on you. It's really obvious which reviews are "planted."

Great people, Great environment, Great family balance

I have been working at SciQuest full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people I work with really care about what we're doing. Everyone is happy to help each other and we all share a common goal of success. Benefits are comparable to other companies. Employees have access to free Durham Bulls and Hurricanes tickets. All the free soda you can consume. Nice break room with 4 pinball machines and two large TV's with Directv. Also, there are beer Friday's about 3 times a year (not sure why its called beer Friday when its only 3 times a year). In my experience management in my department really cares about my personal growth with the company. At times we play hard but at the end of the day we work hard and get the job done.

Cons

The company is continuing to grow. With growth comes growing pains. I've had 5 or 6 different managers in the past 2 years. Teams often change too. This is a challenge to find a groove with your team and manger. Once you think you have it figured out you find yourself on another team and a different manager. This is also a challenge when trying to properly manage your project and predict what your team can accomplish.

- Try to minimize change
    - Continue to listen to employees
    - Ensure employees feel like they have a career ladder