SciQuest Reviews

Updated September 9, 2014
Updated September 9, 2014
3.1

SciQuest President & Chief Executive Officer, Chairman of the Board Stephen J. Wiehe
Stephen J. Wiehe

Pros
  • Work/life balance was good, at least in the area where I worked (in 6 reviews)

• They provide Free Soda/Coffee and Wifi (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much work, its great to be needed, but my work-life balance suffers (in 3 reviews)

• some of the management team is awful (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people, Great environment, Great family balance

I have been working at SciQuest full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people I work with really care about what we're doing. Everyone is happy to help each other and we all share a common goal of success. Benefits are comparable to other companies. Employees have access to free Durham Bulls and Hurricanes tickets. All the free soda you can consume. Nice break room with 4 pinball machines and two large TV's with Directv. Also, there are beer Friday's about 3 times a year (not sure why its called beer Friday when its only 3 times a year). In my experience management in my department really cares about my personal growth with the company. At times we play hard but at the end of the day we work hard and get the job done.

Cons

The company is continuing to grow. With growth comes growing pains. I've had 5 or 6 different managers in the past 2 years. Teams often change too. This is a challenge to find a groove with your team and manger. Once you think you have it figured out you find yourself on another team and a different manager. This is also a challenge when trying to properly manage your project and predict what your team can accomplish.

- Try to minimize change
    - Continue to listen to employees
    - Ensure employees feel like they have a career ladder

Great place to work. Yes, there are challenges, but the grass isn't always greener...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benefits:
     - 401k with 50% match on your first $5,000 ($2,500 free money)
     - Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP) with 85% buy-in on up to 10% of your base salary (essentially a 15% guaranteed return with potential for much more)
     - Lots of Paid Time Off (PTO) - after 4 full years, you accrue PTO at 9 hours every 1/2 month (that's 27 days for the year) plus 2 personal days...yep, that's one day shy of 6 weeks of PTO per year
     - Flexibility for work/life balance - option to work from home on occasion as long as you don't abuse it and are productive (yes, you're still held accountable for your job)
     - Most departments now have training budget for personal growth (this has been a weakness in the past)
     - Pay is very competitive. I’m sure this varies by department and role, but I think it’s certainly competitive. Good annual bonus payouts too.
     - Opportunity for advancement – this is all relative. Sure, it’s a relatively small company so there aren’t THAT many opportunities, but if you’re a leader, you will be recognized and promoted in accordance with your strengths.

New Office is great...spacious...and brand new. A huge break-room with two big screen TVs and the back patio are great. Great for eating lunch in the office, but still getting away from your desk.

Lots of Great People:
    - As with any company, there are “bad eggs” lying around, but the far majority of people around here are hard-working, smart, ethical people who want the company to be successful, and want to have fun doing it.

Strong culture and principals…things like:
    - Feedback is a gift. Yes, there are some folks that don’t take feedback very well, but the majority of the management team genuinely appreciate feedback, even negative feedback, and will make an effort to fix the problem.
    - Have an open kitchen. I’ve interacted with every one of the senior management group and feel comfortable walking into any of their offices and talking to them about an issue. I’m sure there are others who don’t feel comfortable doing that, but it’s not because the management team isn’t approachable. For those who write that making use of the open kitchen philosophy is viewed as dissent, that’s just not true. If you have feedback for an executive, think it through so that it’s not just whining…maybe propose a solution or two. And deal in facts. If you do that, executives will listen to you.
    - Say thank you. We have quarterly “Q” Awards to publicly call out top performers, but even beyond that, it’s a regular thing around here to hear “thank you” at all levels of the organization.
    - Focus on three constituents equally…customers, shareholders and employees. OK, there are obviously times when it feels like a decision is more focused on shareholders than the other two, but more often than not, decisions are made looking at all three. Long term, if customers aren’t happy and/or employees aren’t happy, it will ultimately make the shareholders not happy, so nothing is done in a vacuum.

Hurricanes and Durham Bulls tickets

Annual Club Trip for top performers...I believe there were 35 or 40 names on the list from all offices who got to go. It's not just for Sales and Execs.

Cons

It’s too easy for underperformers to hang around too long while the rest of the folks carry their weight.

Weak middle management in some departments. Too many are managers and not leaders. Most are not process oriented people so processes are stale and not continually improving.

Acquisitions are tough, especially in the software world. And when acquired technology provides surprises, it’s a long and arduous process to work through to fix them. I think we’ve learned some lessons here, but it took several acquisitions to learn those lessons.

Onboarding process needs an overhaul. It is too much of “trial-by-fire”. We have complex products that take a long time to learn and be prepared to support / implement / develop and there’s an expectation to be fully productive very quickly.

Be quicker to identify the “bad eggs” and find a humane way to move on. If it was a bad hire, pay them a reasonable severance and let them go. It’s OK to acknowledge a mistake in hiring someone. Don’t let one bad hire crush the morale for an entire department while you wait 6-12 months to figure out how to let that person go.

Be more diligent in hiring. Spend more time and money on the front end to do personality and competency testing to be more certain you’re hiring folks that are capable of the job and a good fit. You can’t bat a thousand, but we can get better in this area. And for the misses, see the point above.

Renew the focus on data. We have a principal called Deal in Facts which seems to be less important than it used to be.

Hire folks (especially in middle management) that are continuous improvement minded.

Invest in the onboarding process. While I understand the competing force of getting people productive quickly, it’s clear that we have too many people who are not ready, yet they are already “in the wild” which ultimately impacts customer satisfaction and the morale of those employees who have to “clean up after them”.

Skip level meetings: For those who don't feel comfortable sharing feedback to their manager for fear of retribution, make sure they have a safe mechanism to provide that feedback. Too many middle managers are not doing a good job, but their superiors don't know it. Skip a level and come ask for feedback, but find a way to assure that person providing feedback that it's safe and won't come back to them.

Really, really work on establishing genuine relationships with as many folks in the company as possible. This is hard to do. It's time consuming. It won't work with everyone, but if 20% of the company has a truly genuine relationship with at least one exec team member, then they will be advocates for the exec team and it will begin to build trust throughout the organization. If Bob doesn't have a genuine relationship with anyone on the exec team, but his best buddy Scott does, Scott's trust for the exec team will have a significant impact on Bob's trust for the exec team. Work on it all the time, not just when it's convenient.

Love this place

Current Employee - Technical Manager  in  Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Technical Manager in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Our people and our culture

Cons

We are a growing company and aligning our customer expectations across our many product lines, and getting the support services in line company-wide has been quite a challenge.

Keep the customer first. I don't think this should be an issue.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Good Place to Call Home

Current Employee - Product Owner  in  Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Product Owner in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time for more than a year

Pros

The amount of free drinks has already been covered. We have it, and it is a nice touch. We also have a very nice new building that really turns up the level of coolness in the company. I came into the company as a developer and am now working in project management after two years. Many people have complained about there being cliques around the company. They do exist, but all you need to do is just say "hi" to another person and get to know them. I've been seeing a change in upper management were things are starting to get better insofar as ideas filtering from the bottom up. Management has acknowledged that this is a problem, and they are actively working on it. I'm paid really well, I work from home one day a week, and my schedule can be as flexible as I need it to be.

Cons

There is some chaos when taking on new acquisitions, as can be expected. There have been some bad decisions made on the direction of software development. It bothers me that we have one main platform on Java and a few other things that are in C#. Sometimes I feel like the wrong people are making decisions, but this is nothing that I haven't experienced anywhere else.

Show your faces at more times than just the quarterly meetings. Take a walk around the building and be a buddy instead of just being a big boss. Engage your employees but don't micromanage. There is a bit of awkwardness when the CEO is walking around because most of us don't know how to engage him. Be an active part of coaching the inputs!

a review from the inside

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Sciquest is a great company to work for; I've been at Sciquest for seven years. From my experience, employees have a great opportunity to improve themselves, move to higher positions, and get recognition from their manager for hard work. Work, at times, is challenging but fair. Getting the job at Sciquest was the best decision I've ever made. I can say with complete honesty my manager tells everyone in my group to "take care of family first, then work", very cool.

-Free gym membership
    -great health insurance
    -upper management is VERY responsive
    -401K matching
    -employee stock purchase program

Cons

There is no perfect company or people. That said, sometimes work is stressful. Don't expect to get a cakewalk at Sciquest if you don't want to work.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been working at SciQuest for about a year and a half and love it here. The company is well-run, the products are solid, and on my team everyone helps out each other. Lots of smart, fun people work here. Processes are well defined and there are resources and individuals available if you have questions or need help with your work. Leadership seems to listen to employees and regularly recognizes individuals that go above and beyond. The company culture is great - I enjoy the community service activities that we can participate in, we have regular social events like beer Fridays, access to Durham Bulls and Hurricanes tickets, etc. I've read some negative reviews on here recently and they don't accurately describe what I've experienced.

Cons

Agree with another review that departments are somewhat insulated

great place to learn

I have been working at SciQuest

Pros

SciQuest has had some growing pains but we're getting to the end of them. Several departments have been streamlined and reorganized recently, and combined with the new building, it really feels like a feels like a fresh start. We look and feel like a hip, technology savvy company. We also have some great leaders in place now who are really welcoming and willing to help.

Cons

The happiest people are those who want to reach out, work cross functionally, and learn as much from their peers as they can. You probably are not going to be happy here if you want to sit in your cube and do one job all day.

In addition, there are still a good number of kinks to be worked out in terms of process. Related to the above, if you are going to sit and just be frustrated by them all day, you won't be happy. However, if you enjoy the challenge and take initiative in trying to improve the business, it's very rewarding both in terms of personal satisfaction and compensation.

My last con is that there is no paid maternity leave beyond the 3 days required by law. Even getting half or a quarter of your typical pay would be helpful.

Increase the training budget for your high performers. Look at options for supporting your employees caring for newborns.

Great Place Jump into Scrum

Current Employee - Product Owner  in  Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Product Owner in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people! Growing company! All members of the company have the opportunity to go to President's Club. This perk is normally specifically for management & Sales. Annual bonuses are given out as well.

Cons

Management has a tendency to want you to do things the way they would do it, which isn't always the BEST way.

Continue to be open to fresh new ideas and ways of implementing new features & functions.

Glass is half full

I have been working at SciQuest full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I do agree with many of the comments I have read on here. That being said, I have worked in Professional Services, Development and just recently transitioned to Sales. There are many more people that have been here far longer. Every place has problems. Many of our problems were due to recent acquisitions. In my opinion we grew alittle too fast. We are starting to right the ship in many areas.

We have many "excellent" employees. That is one of the reasons I have stuck around as long as I have.

Free Coffee, Free gym, Good benefits, Nice location, Opportunity for advancement

**Not from personal experience**
    Advice to new employees: Do not fall asleep, or use your phone in the new employee orientation class
    One other note...If you see SciQuest reserved parking....it is not for you. :)

Cons

The new building is nice but the cubes walls and desks are smaller. The second floor is a cube farm since there is basically 2 huge open spaces with cubes. If I compared desks to islands it basically looks like a "Map of Hawaii"

I second the comment about no microwaves on the second floor.

When acquiring a new company make sure processes, culture, and product quality matches "SciQuest" before attempting any product integrations.

I wish we would stick to one platform. We have tried to integrate other companies products into our product suite and each time have run into problems. We have built a great application and then we integrate products not of the same quality. I am surprised we are not more concerned with tarnishing our image.

Most of the new "Executive Leadership" is great to work for and with

For the most part we have great people. Please try to retain these high performers.

Happy

I have been working at SciQuest

Pros

Great people work here. The benefits are very good. The work is rewarding and people care about customers.

Cons

Disorganized at times, leadership could be better. Nice office, but location of office is lacking.

Worked for SciQuest? Contribute to the Community!