SciQuest Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014
Updated August 21, 2014

2.8

SciQuest President & Chief Executive Officer, Chairman of the Board Stephen J. Wiehe
Stephen J. Wiehe

Pros
  • Free Soda and coffee, decent pay, checks cash, not much else can be said in favor of the company (in 7 reviews)

• Free soda and coffee, that's about it (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • some of the management team is awful (in 3 reviews)

• Very unsophisticated and patronizing execs (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Love this place

Current Employee - Technical Manager  in  Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Technical Manager in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Our people and our culture

Cons

We are a growing company and aligning our customer expectations across our many product lines, and getting the support services in line company-wide has been quite a challenge.

Keep the customer first. I don't think this should be an issue.

Relatively good place to work if you enjoy banging your head against the wall or you used to work for AllScripts

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice new office, pay is competitive, some of the best worker bee people you will ever meet, free coffee

High performing individuals seem to be well taken care of. I am not sure what the "rules" are to be in that select group though.

Cons

I have seen the company's strategy shift in the little time I have been here. They used to have a really good software application that they saturated the higher education market with. In the last 2 years they have purchased 4 companies that have horrible product quality. I have heard horror stories about some of the issues people in support and professional services have had to deal with in Sourcing, TSM, and Contract Director. I am not sure what the issues are but heard QA and product architecture is not at the quality we want it to be.

We just got a new office in the last 2 months however someone thought it would be a good idea to only have microwaves on the first floor. There are double the people on the second floor yet we have no microwave. How many does the first floor have 8....yeah that makes perfect sense.

Certain employees are treated differently.

Most of my experience with SciQuest has been pretty good. However when your CEO drops more f-bombs then Eminem in concert there is probably an issue. I have read all of the reviews about SciQuest on Glassdoor. If you read them you will notice a very distinct pattern. It is a great place to work if you are in the right department or have the right manager.

For the most part people are pretty happy....unless you are going for a promotion and one of the candidates used to work at Allscripts. Don't get me wrong, the majority of people I have met in my 2 years here from AllScripts are actually pretty good. I just seems like they are the only ones getting management jobs. In talking to some of the old timers, (5+ years) they share a similar viewpoint.

I have heard some real horror stories about people that actually interface with the CEO though. People say he acts very unprofessional. He curses, bullies, and says very sexist things. In my 2 years here I have only seen him at our company meetings. In all my past companies I have really looked up to the CEO and respected them greatly. He actually had the audacity to ask all of his employees to come on GlassDoor and post a company review. He stressed making a positive one to bring up the company ratings. His thinking was the reason our rating was so low is because only people "leaving" posted reviews. This is my first time on GlassDoor and I am very glad he urged me to read this site.

A Good Place to Call Home

Current Employee - Product Owner  in  Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Product Owner in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time for more than a year

Pros

The amount of free drinks has already been covered. We have it, and it is a nice touch. We also have a very nice new building that really turns up the level of coolness in the company. I came into the company as a developer and am now working in project management after two years. Many people have complained about there being cliques around the company. They do exist, but all you need to do is just say "hi" to another person and get to know them. I've been seeing a change in upper management were things are starting to get better insofar as ideas filtering from the bottom up. Management has acknowledged that this is a problem, and they are actively working on it. I'm paid really well, I work from home one day a week, and my schedule can be as flexible as I need it to be.

Cons

There is some chaos when taking on new acquisitions, as can be expected. There have been some bad decisions made on the direction of software development. It bothers me that we have one main platform on Java and a few other things that are in C#. Sometimes I feel like the wrong people are making decisions, but this is nothing that I haven't experienced anywhere else.

Show your faces at more times than just the quarterly meetings. Take a walk around the building and be a buddy instead of just being a big boss. Engage your employees but don't micromanage. There is a bit of awkwardness when the CEO is walking around because most of us don't know how to engage him. Be an active part of coaching the inputs!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great coworkers, not great management, and a sketchy future

I have been working at SciQuest full-time

Pros

We have a lot of freedom to do what needs to be done. Hours are flexible and the PTO is plentiful. I like my job and I like the company on the whole. We have free coffee and pretty good technology. My coworkers are nice and helpful. I think the upper management TRIES to maintain a fun atmosphere with good culture while they also try to hit our goals. The pay is good and the benefits are too. I do know my direct manager is AMAZING and my peers range from great to BRILLIANT. The list of PROS are plentiful.

Cons

Our CEO seems nice and I've never met him personally but during my orientation boot camp I'll never forget how he dropped the F-bomb during the intro. He was trying to relate to us and show that he's an approachable guy but that's just not professional and was kind of an omen for the future, I think. There have been several management decisions that make a little sense from a very narrow perspective but zero sense when looking at things in the long term.

New products are not given enough time to be fleshed out and made the right way and even when these project plans are given the directives are often seem to be rushed as well. I do not know if this is a top down problem or if this is a middle management problem.

For example, when there is a new product from a new acquisition instead of taking a year or two to really understand it THEN start modifying things its like the race is on to get in and get that product repackaged into the other sciquest lineup ASAP regardless of consequences. As a result copious amounts of time and effort are wasted doing things that don't need to be done or cleaning up messes caused by hasty decisions that people with little or no programming/product knowledge are making.

Our teams are extremely capable but energy is often wasted. Many are overworked while others are struggling to find something to do sometimes.

The water cooler also talks about how non-conformity and making use of the open kitchen philosophy is a good way to get sent packing because it is viewed as dissent from.

I am writing this not to slam the company I am blessed to work for. I am hoping someone with authority and willingness to listen will read this so we can really do the amazing things I know we are capable of.

Feedback is a gift. I know we have investors, I know we exist to make profit, but there are many times where I think we need to take a step back and think about the ramifications of the decisions. I am absolutely certain you want to make this the best company possible. I am also certain that you feel pressure from above to make commitments that will impress those above you.

Here's what I want to leave you with. It is better to set lower expectations and hit it than to set higher expectations and not. I think the old "shoot for the moon and you'll hit the stars" thing fails here.

Many of us are told to shoot for the moon and the guy pulling the trigger is saying "hey, that bullet wont make it out of the atmosphere, never mind getting to the moon" but the promise is made regardless.

Thank you again for my job, I am grateful to work here, and please consider my words.

a review from the inside

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Sciquest is a great company to work for; I've been at Sciquest for seven years. From my experience, employees have a great opportunity to improve themselves, move to higher positions, and get recognition from their manager for hard work. Work, at times, is challenging but fair. Getting the job at Sciquest was the best decision I've ever made. I can say with complete honesty my manager tells everyone in my group to "take care of family first, then work", very cool.

-Free gym membership
    -great health insurance
    -upper management is VERY responsive
    -401K matching
    -employee stock purchase program

Cons

There is no perfect company or people. That said, sometimes work is stressful. Don't expect to get a cakewalk at Sciquest if you don't want to work.

great place to learn

I have been working at SciQuest

Pros

SciQuest has had some growing pains but we're getting to the end of them. Several departments have been streamlined and reorganized recently, and combined with the new building, it really feels like a feels like a fresh start. We look and feel like a hip, technology savvy company. We also have some great leaders in place now who are really welcoming and willing to help.

Cons

The happiest people are those who want to reach out, work cross functionally, and learn as much from their peers as they can. You probably are not going to be happy here if you want to sit in your cube and do one job all day.

In addition, there are still a good number of kinks to be worked out in terms of process. Related to the above, if you are going to sit and just be frustrated by them all day, you won't be happy. However, if you enjoy the challenge and take initiative in trying to improve the business, it's very rewarding both in terms of personal satisfaction and compensation.

My last con is that there is no paid maternity leave beyond the 3 days required by law. Even getting half or a quarter of your typical pay would be helpful.

Increase the training budget for your high performers. Look at options for supporting your employees caring for newborns.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been working at SciQuest for about a year and a half and love it here. The company is well-run, the products are solid, and on my team everyone helps out each other. Lots of smart, fun people work here. Processes are well defined and there are resources and individuals available if you have questions or need help with your work. Leadership seems to listen to employees and regularly recognizes individuals that go above and beyond. The company culture is great - I enjoy the community service activities that we can participate in, we have regular social events like beer Fridays, access to Durham Bulls and Hurricanes tickets, etc. I've read some negative reviews on here recently and they don't accurately describe what I've experienced.

Cons

Agree with another review that departments are somewhat insulated

Great Place Jump into Scrum

Current Employee - Product Owner  in  Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Product Owner in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people! Growing company! All members of the company have the opportunity to go to President's Club. This perk is normally specifically for management & Sales. Annual bonuses are given out as well.

Cons

Management has a tendency to want you to do things the way they would do it, which isn't always the BEST way.

Continue to be open to fresh new ideas and ways of implementing new features & functions.

AMAZING place for growth and development

I have been working at SciQuest full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

in my 20 yrs in the service industry, i have never found a company more customer and employee focused in my tenure. there is true collaboration with all groups. Our CEO has guided the company in the right direction for growth as a business. The employees are dedicated to customer satisfaction and the managers on tap support their personal and professional growth. The company truly encourages a good work/life balance. The benefits and pay are far superior in comparison to other large corporations that SHOULD have better rates. I have asked myself several times after joining this organization, 'why did i take so long to leave such companies where i was just #241 out of 5,000?'. Thrilled to be a part of this growing company!

Cons

slowly but surely we are integrating our acquisitions.

keep your head up! all those negative responses on glass door are people who have no idea what the professional world looks like outside our building! 1/2 the folks that leave attempt to come back...how bout that!

Glass is half full

I have been working at SciQuest full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I do agree with many of the comments I have read on here. That being said, I have worked in Professional Services, Development and just recently transitioned to Sales. There are many more people that have been here far longer. Every place has problems. Many of our problems were due to recent acquisitions. In my opinion we grew alittle too fast. We are starting to right the ship in many areas.

We have many "excellent" employees. That is one of the reasons I have stuck around as long as I have.

Free Coffee, Free gym, Good benefits, Nice location, Opportunity for advancement

**Not from personal experience**
    Advice to new employees: Do not fall asleep, or use your phone in the new employee orientation class
    One other note...If you see SciQuest reserved parking....it is not for you. :)

Cons

The new building is nice but the cubes walls and desks are smaller. The second floor is a cube farm since there is basically 2 huge open spaces with cubes. If I compared desks to islands it basically looks like a "Map of Hawaii"

I second the comment about no microwaves on the second floor.

When acquiring a new company make sure processes, culture, and product quality matches "SciQuest" before attempting any product integrations.

I wish we would stick to one platform. We have tried to integrate other companies products into our product suite and each time have run into problems. We have built a great application and then we integrate products not of the same quality. I am surprised we are not more concerned with tarnishing our image.

Most of the new "Executive Leadership" is great to work for and with

For the most part we have great people. Please try to retain these high performers.

Worked for SciQuest? Contribute to the Community!