Scientific Learning

Be The First To
Add Photos

Robert C. Bowen

Great Company and People

Account Manager (Former Employee)

ProsCutting edge technology and doing the right things to help change education. Great people and atmosphere.

ConsSoftware was a bit ahead of its time which created challenges.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust the process and the people you hire. They are your ears on the ground. You have great people at all levels and one of the most impactful products in education...celebrate it.

Great technology, buggy software, uninformed (albeit well-meaning) management.

Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsOpportunity to help kids learn and/or improve reading/literacy skills at innovative, research-based neuroscience software company.

ConsUnstable, struggling, start-up culture. Not much opportunity for advancement.

Great product and dedicated people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat for a single person. Being a field based employee gives you the opportunity to excel professionally while maintaining a personal life across a large geographic area.

The offices in Oakland and Tucson offer the ability to work closely with great people who truly stand by the product, and more importantly, the children who benefit from it.

Current leadership team has experience turning things around

ConsLong weeks away from home.

Fewer employees covering more responsibilities and larger territories due to recent reductions in 2012

Advice to Senior ManagementDo what you were doing before you left, before things got out of hand. Keep the customers and employees happy at all costs and the stockholders will see results.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of Layoffs

Support (Former Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsGood pay, benefits and always work to be done. The product the company offers truly works and provides results to the students that use it. Company moving away from software and to browser based so product is more accessible.

ConsFrequent layoffs throughout the company tend to make employees wonder if they are next. Upward movement in the company can be difficult unless you have a close relationships with management. Amount of work can be overwhelming at certain times of year.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut effort into evening the workload so employees don't get buried in work. Value your workers who have extensive product knowledge and know how to solve problems.

Wonderful Comany, provided guidance in my career

Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsGreat product, vision and quality!

Consopen more offices in the east coast

Advice to Senior ManagementNope, they are doing a good job...

Progress Monitor

Progress Monitor (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsGreat product and company mission

ConsCommunication flow needs work to ibetter climate

Advice to Senior ManagementNA

Great company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsThey make great products that really make a difference in children's lives and the upper management looks past just profitability; they look at quality.

ConsThe pay was not that great and not as much room for growth as I would have hoped.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease look at why you have turnover and do exit-interviews to get honest feedback on why people leave.

Great company but sinking ship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeople are amazing, product is amazing and has helped hundreds of thousands of children around the country and world.

ConsLay offs, lay offs, lay offs. The culture has turned into one of fear since every 6 -12 weeks there are major lay offs and the company feels like it is sinking with no way to revive it.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop laying people off! You're creating a terrible environment to work in with very low morale and the past few years have been very stressful.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Mixed bag

(Current Employee)

Pros"Nice" co-workers; minimal office politics

Easy commute in downtown Oakland - very close to 12st St. BART

Interesting products that benefit kids - products are really very effective, despite a few high profile studies to the contrary. Those of us who work there know this through personal experience, and most, if not all, of the employees with kids have their kids use one or more of the products. This alone can be a huge benefit for someone who has a child with learning challenges, especially based in reading.

ConsCompany seems to be perpetually struggling to find its way in the market

12st St. BART location is very convenient, but can be a hotspot at times - location of former Occupy Oakland protests, many other protests due to proximity to Oakland City Hall, and generally not the safest neighborhood.

I get tremendous job satisfaction working for Scientific Learning, we have an amazing product that helps children.

ProsOur product helps millions of children be successful in school. It has improved the lives of so many children and families.

ConsIt's kinda small and the benefits reflect that. If you are not a California employee the health benefits are low and I would like to see 401K match and tuition reimbursement.

Worked for Scientific Learning? Contribute to the Community!