Scooter's Coffeehouse

Decent part time job.

Current Employee - Barista  in  Bellevue, NE
    Current Employee - Barista in Bellevue, NE

I have been working at Scooter's Coffeehouse part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fast paced job. It's fun and pretty good for entry level job. I love getting to know regular customers and getting great communication skills.

Cons

There is not much room for advancement, and it's also pretty unprofessional. There's a lot of "girl drama" which is frustrating to work around. Also, compensation is weak. I was told upon hiring that I would be evaluated for a raise. I've been working here for about a year, and a raise has never been mentioned (I'm going to request one soon, though). The franchise gives incentives for gift card sales, and I have never received any of that either.

Setting up a clock in/clock out system would be helpful. We are only paid until a certain time and are expected to be done at that time. Not having a system set up to have us properly compensated if we work longer than the expected time is frustrating. Yes, we can go through a huge hassle with managers and have them approve a later time, but it is extremely frustrating.

Room for much improvement

Current Employee - Barista  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Barista in Houston, TX

I have been working at Scooter's Coffeehouse part-time for less than a year

Pros

Seeing regular customers, free drink of the day, flexible scheduling {sometimes}, working next to a Starbucks significantly decreased sales

Cons

The workload is too much for one person working a single shift, upper management has exceedingly high expectations but refuse to pay above minimum wage. A lot of dishonesty on the manager's part.

All in all if scooters claim to be such an amazing company, then treat your employees as such since they are the face of ur company!

Poor upper management

I have been working at Scooter's Coffeehouse full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Building relationships with regulars, and it's an easy job once you get the hang of it. Free coffee is a plus.

Cons

Horrible, horrible, upper management. They says they are there for franchisee's, but will not lift a finger when in a bind. The owners of the company as a whole are just in it for the profits. This makes it extremely hard for someone to really feel at home.

Stop name dropping every time you come through a store. Secret shopping would be way more effective. Help out your franchisee's, they're the ones getting word out about your company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor upper management

I worked at Scooter's Coffeehouse full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I loved working there and building the relationships with regulars. Was fun when working with employees who know what's going on.

Cons

Poor owner and upper management. Once I became a manager this were a nightmare. Poorly paid, constant changes that weren't for the better of the company. The owner of our store was AWEFUL to employees. Very 2 faced and very demanding. Claims to be a family business. Lies.

Competitive wages, better and proper management on both corporate and store owner levels. Your store owners are representing you as a company.

Good coffee, decent culture and business model, but values 'long hours' too much.

I have been working at Scooter's Coffeehouse full-time

Pros

Scooter's sits in the gap between Starbucks and the local mom and pops shop, because it still uses manual machines and keeps in some of the processes that bigger coffee companies have had to drop to standardize things. It is big enough to enjoy the benefits of being large, like having it's own roasting facility and bakery.

Cons

Unfortunately, the salary is not competitive. It doesn't seem to be a very family friendly company, i.e. one that makes space for family, and offers competitive benefits etc.

Create systems for anonymous employee reviews to find out what employees need.

Horrible experience at Pearland Parkway

Current Employee - Barista  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Barista in Houston, TX

I have been working at Scooter's Coffeehouse part-time for less than a year

Pros

Making new friends with customers.

Cons

Cleaning the yogurt machine is way too time consuming and takes a lot of effort. Too much cleaning especially with a semi med-big shop for coffee. Only one employee works per shift which is unsafe. Morning shifts and night shifts are the most dangerous for having a 17 year old female to work in the pitch dark especially after having a bar next to the coffee shop. Manager is never there to help and rarely comes to work. Horrible communication with employees as well and even after all of that, the pay is way too low and unbearable. No benefits to working here as of health or life insurance like Starbucks and many places other than half off drinks (only drinks are half off).

Please have better management skills. Please pay more. Please balance work and wage. There is no reason for someone to get cuts and sores for only 7.25 with NO raise and horrible tips. Oh and please don't be cheap with the a/c and heater. So be more selfless about that for your employees especially when you made us work in 85+ degrees INSIDE of the shop and having the toppings melt.

The job itself is very fun and rewarding; the corporate leadership is poor

I worked at Scooter's Coffeehouse full-time for more than a year

Pros

Building relationships with your customers and staff is fun; the coffee industry is fun to work in.

Cons

Salary; My Field Service Manager(DM) was amazing to work for/with, but the upper corporate management team is very disorganized, and overall bad at leading a company. At this time they can barely handle running 100 stores, but they have plans to expand as far as Starbucks. With the current leadership, I do not see this happening

Take it from another Manager, the amount of work you are required to do , you will never be paid for, the expectations are very high and constantly changing. I left on good terms but I would never go back to this company. Starting salary was 26,000+bonuses

Pleasantly surprised

Current Employee - Barista  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Barista in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Scooter's Coffeehouse part-time for less than a year

Pros

I like working at Scooter's because it's relatively easy and fun, co-workers are friendly, and the upper management is tolerable.

Cons

Rude customers with complex drink orders, low salary with varied tips depending on shift. Those who work closing shift do the bulk of the work with the lowest amount of tips - something that desperately needs to be changed.

Pay closing employees more to compensate for lack of tips, or pay employees more as a whole.

It was okay...

Former Employee - Barista  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Barista in Omaha, NE

I worked at Scooter's Coffeehouse part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun environment, friendly co-workers, great product ( I still love Scooter's coffee), management was accessible and approachable.

Cons

Getting up at the butt-crack of dawn wasn't for me, and work could get a little chaotic at times...since it is a smaller company I'm assuming management does not get a lot of payroll hours and I was often left to work alone during extremely high traffic periods. The one time I dared mention that I felt overwhelmed I got kind of a condescending response...anyway, if Scooter's mission is to provide "amazing" customer service they should consider the fact that part of amazing service is having the proper amount of staff on hand to provide said service, no?

Invest in your talent! Train and develop your top performers, and for the love of God, give your managers more payroll hours! Most of the people I know who quit did so because they got overwhelmed. Yes, I understand that staff is the biggest expense of all, but, how many customers are you walking because they don't have time to wait or just get impatient?

Barista and manager

Former Employee - Barista  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Barista in Omaha, NE

I worked at Scooter's Coffeehouse full-time for more than a year

Pros

Once you get the hang of it, job is easy.
    Getting promoted isn't too hard as long as you work hard and stay on task.
     Tips are nice.

Cons

Once I switched to management things got worse.
    Staff was lazy and untrained. I wasn't able to fire any employees.
    My district managers could care less and they were rarely any help.
    Not to mention they would hire literally an idiot off the street.
    You are constantly on call.
    Pay wasn't great for the amount of BS you went through daily.
    Owner had no idea how to run his business and set unreasonable goals.

When I was with the company I was with ARC holdings franchise.
    Actually call former employers of interviews and have a 2nd interview.
    Have a trainer that all the barista's train with, who will actually train them correctly.
    Hire people with experience.
    Close yogurts stores earlier.
    Get benefits and pay better.

Worked for Scooter's Coffeehouse? Contribute to the Community!