Scooter's Coffeehouse

scooterscoffeehouse.com

Scooter's Coffeehouse Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014
Scooter's Coffeehouse – Sioux Falls – “Store on 57th and Marion”

Don Eckles

Great first job experience

Barista (Current Employee)

ProsGreat manager, loyal customers who truly seemed to appreciate the personalized experience Scooter's staff is trained to give, incentives to sell gift cards, such as quarterly bonuses and gas cards

ConsMinimum wage is not enough for the workload sometimes carried out by one person per shift. We would often run out of essential ingredients required to make drinks and pastry items; looks really bad when making a first impression to new customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease hourly pay for baristas, better planning and allocating of store's resources

Poor upper management

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsBuilding relationships with regulars, and it's an easy job once you get the hang of it. Free coffee is a plus.

ConsHorrible, horrible, upper management. They says they are there for franchisee's, but will not lift a finger when in a bind. The owners of the company as a whole are just in it for the profits. This makes it extremely hard for someone to really feel at home.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop name dropping every time you come through a store. Secret shopping would be way more effective. Help out your franchisee's, they're the ones getting word out about your company.

Poor upper management

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsI loved working there and building the relationships with regulars. Was fun when working with employees who know what's going on.

ConsPoor owner and upper management. Once I became a manager this were a nightmare. Poorly paid, constant changes that weren't for the better of the company. The owner of our store was AWEFUL to employees. Very 2 faced and very demanding. Claims to be a family business. Lies.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompetitive wages, better and proper management on both corporate and store owner levels. Your store owners are representing you as a company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good coffee, decent culture and business model, but values 'long hours' too much.

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsScooter's sits in the gap between Starbucks and the local mom and pops shop, because it still uses manual machines and keeps in some of the processes that bigger coffee companies have had to drop to standardize things. It is big enough to enjoy the benefits of being large, like having it's own roasting facility and bakery.

ConsUnfortunately, the salary is not competitive. It doesn't seem to be a very family friendly company, i.e. one that makes space for family, and offers competitive benefits etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate systems for anonymous employee reviews to find out what employees need.

Horrible experience at Pearland Parkway

Barista (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsMaking new friends with customers.

ConsCleaning the yogurt machine is way too time consuming and takes a lot of effort. Too much cleaning especially with a semi med-big shop for coffee. Only one employee works per shift which is unsafe. Morning shifts and night shifts are the most dangerous for having a 17 year old female to work in the pitch dark especially after having a bar next to the coffee shop. Manager is never there to help and rarely comes to work. Horrible communication with employees as well and even after all of that, the pay is way too low and unbearable. No benefits to working here as of health or life insurance like Starbucks and many places other than half off drinks (only drinks are half off).

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease have better management skills. Please pay more. Please balance work and wage. There is no reason for someone to get cuts and sores for only 7.25 with NO raise and horrible tips. Oh and please don't be cheap with the a/c and heater. So be more selfless about that for your employees especially when you made us work in 85+ degrees INSIDE of the shop and having the toppings melt.

The job itself is very fun and rewarding; the corporate leadership is poor

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsBuilding relationships with your customers and staff is fun; the coffee industry is fun to work in.

ConsSalary; My Field Service Manager(DM) was amazing to work for/with, but the upper corporate management team is very disorganized, and overall bad at leading a company. At this time they can barely handle running 100 stores, but they have plans to expand as far as Starbucks. With the current leadership, I do not see this happening

Advice to Senior ManagementTake it from another Manager, the amount of work you are required to do , you will never be paid for, the expectations are very high and constantly changing. I left on good terms but I would never go back to this company. Starting salary was 26,000+bonuses

Pleasantly surprised

Barista (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsI like working at Scooter's because it's relatively easy and fun, co-workers are friendly, and the upper management is tolerable.

ConsRude customers with complex drink orders, low salary with varied tips depending on shift. Those who work closing shift do the bulk of the work with the lowest amount of tips - something that desperately needs to be changed.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay closing employees more to compensate for lack of tips, or pay employees more as a whole.

It was okay...

Barista (Former Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsFun environment, friendly co-workers, great product ( I still love Scooter's coffee), management was accessible and approachable.

ConsGetting up at the butt-crack of dawn wasn't for me, and work could get a little chaotic at times...since it is a smaller company I'm assuming management does not get a lot of payroll hours and I was often left to work alone during extremely high traffic periods. The one time I dared mention that I felt overwhelmed I got kind of a condescending response...anyway, if Scooter's mission is to provide "amazing" customer service they should consider the fact that part of amazing service is having the proper amount of staff on hand to provide said service, no?

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your talent! Train and develop your top performers, and for the love of God, give your managers more payroll hours! Most of the people I know who quit did so because they got overwhelmed. Yes, I understand that staff is the biggest expense of all, but, how many customers are you walking because they don't have time to wait or just get impatient?

Barista and manager

Barista (Former Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsOnce you get the hang of it, job is easy.
    Getting promoted isn't too hard as long as you work hard and stay on task.
     Tips are nice.

ConsOnce I switched to management things got worse.
    Staff was lazy and untrained. I wasn't able to fire any employees.
    My district managers could care less and they were rarely any help.
    Not to mention they would hire literally an idiot off the street.
    You are constantly on call.
    Pay wasn't great for the amount of BS you went through daily.
    Owner had no idea how to run his business and set unreasonable goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen I was with the company I was with ARC holdings franchise.
    Actually call former employers of interviews and have a 2nd interview.
    Have a trainer that all the barista's train with, who will actually train them correctly.
    Hire people with experience.
    Close yogurts stores earlier.
    Get benefits and pay better.

So much FUN!

Barista (Current Employee) Bellevue, NE

ProsJob is super easy. Meet tons of people and make new friends.

ConsDuties are tedious. Can be boring at times. Pay is not good.

Worked for Scooter's Coffeehouse? Contribute to the Community!