Scooter's Coffeehouse

1. Barista

Current Employee - Nebraska in Bellevue, NE
    Current Employee - Nebraska in Bellevue, NE

I have been working at Scooter's Coffeehouse part-time

Pros

The franchisee owners that I have met truly do seem to care.

Cons

So much rapid growth that things are changing quickly.

Advice to Management

Keep working hard.

2. Company who cares

I have been working at Scooter's Coffeehouse

Pros

Very positive and energetic work environment. Everyone likes their jobs and that makes for a happy workplace. Big focus on continued training and growth. Clear expectations and lots of help offered if needed. Have the ability at the store level as a manger to make staffing decisions.

Cons

Doing lots of training due to rapid company growth!

3. Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Scooter's Coffeehouse full-time

Pros

Interaction with customer and employees, Baristaing, Room for upward movement, lots of locations, growing rapidly

Cons

Hours, lack of development and training, growing pains, very disorganized, lack of structure with benefits or time off

Advice to Management

Develop and train your employees before giving them new opportunities. If you do not there is no right to hold them accountable for standards they are unaware of.

5. Barista

Former Employee - Barista in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Barista in Houston, TX

I worked at Scooter's Coffeehouse part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Short shifts, lots of downtime

Cons

short shifts, lot's of downtime, bad management Starbucks takes all of your business

Advice to Management

Choose better Branch owners.

6. Starts out great, then slowly goes downhill.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Scooter's Coffeehouse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Customers are AMAZING, you get to know their stories and personalities, building a family-like connection.
    -Most baristas and managers you will work with are great - really fun personalities.
    -Most shifts are early mornings, which means you have a good part of your day left once you're off work.
    -Good product discounts.

Cons

-Upper management performs a lot of shady business.
    -Pay is far below where it should be. Baristas only make minimum wage and they never approve raises for hardworking individuals. Management pay is very shady. They only pay your 75% of your monthly bonus then promise the rest will come as a six-month bonus….not right. They should be paying your monthly commisions in-full then giving an additional six-month bonus if managers earn it.
    -Management is overworked.
    -Regional management is usually not willing to help store managers with staffing, even in legitimate situations.
    -I was let go with no notice.

Advice to Management

Scooter's has the potential to become a very successful company. If more time was spent developing the indivduals hired instead of finding reasons to fire people at strike one I believe the company could make an even bigger impact on the coffee industry.

Your baristas and managers are the face of your company, keeping direct contact with your customers…if you don't start taking better care of them you will never attain your goals of excellence.

7. Arc owner is uninvolved and hard to approach. Hates women.

I have been working at Scooter's Coffeehouse

Pros

Regulars, an amazing manager, drinks, no drama with my coworkers

Cons

Closing alone. That's rather scary because some scooters have been robbed at gunpoint.
    Lack of deposit security.
    Pay isn't enough for how much you sell your soul to the store.

Advice to Management

More pay.
    More closing people.

8. Basically Communism, Spare Yourself and Don't Work Here

Former Employee - Barista in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Barista in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Scooter's Coffeehouse

Pros

-Free drinks on shift
    -Can work a lot of hours if you please
    -All the employees take food and drinks for themselves because they have a poor inventory system and since there is poor pay people compensate themselves.

Cons

-Have to pay for food handlers license
    -Buy your own uniforms
    -People don't cover each others shifts
    -Management is horrible, they don't know what they are doing. Things are hardly restocked. They make a fuss over unnecessary things.
    -Jason and Rita who own many of the stores in Nebraska are horrid. So rude. Don't care who you are whatsoever as long as you are making them money. Always have something negative to say. Refuse to give anyone a raise.
    -They will jip you on your paychecks so keep your clock in sheets. Also do not come 15 minutes early as recommended or stay past 5 minutes to help with rushes because they refuse to pay you for it.
    -You don't make anything in tips but they still take it out of your paycheck.
    -Every worker is seen as the same by the owners. You could be the hardest worker there and always go above and beyond and it won't be noticed.
    -Constant scheduling conflicts.
    -You could definitely end up working alone and have huge rushes and customers freaking out on you.
    -There are way too many cleaning duties. Cleaning the yogurt machines every morning for an hour is a joke.
    -Continuous turnover rate. And with constant new employees you always have some training who is slowing things down and wasting people's time. If they just treated their employees with respect and paid them what they deserve people wouldn't quit.
    -It's also disgusting their impact on the environment. The Metcalf's refuse to provide recycling bins at the store because they are tight wads and don't want to pay $30 a month. Every single thing that store throws out could be recycled. At least 6 huge trash bags a day were thrown out full of milk cartons, paper cups, plastic cups, cardboard, paper bowls, plastic, on and on and on.

Advice to Management

-Fix everything. Listen to your hourly wage employees who actually talk to the customers every single day and are physically present in the stores. Be in the business because you like it not because you want money. Your money hunger attitudes make your best employees quit since you won't give them the time of day. The Metcalf's shouldn't be in this type of business. Your turnover rate of employees should be your biggest red flag.

9. Loved my coworkers and the customers

I have been working at Scooter's Coffeehouse

Pros

Family like feeling. Hours are flexible

Cons

Pay was not at all worth the amount of work required for this job. Hard to advance in the company

10. For College Students

Former Employee - Barista in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Barista in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Scooter's Coffeehouse part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free drinks while on shift
    Decent working atmosphere
    Ability to make tips

Cons

Poor management
    Ignorant owner
    Awful drink quality/consistency

Advice to Management

Learn about coffee if you own a coffee shop

11. Decent part time job.

Current Employee - Barista in Bellevue, NE
    Current Employee - Barista in Bellevue, NE

I have been working at Scooter's Coffeehouse part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast paced job. It's fun and pretty good for entry level job. I love getting to know regular customers and getting great communication skills.

Cons

There is not much room for advancement, and it's also pretty unprofessional. There's a lot of "girl drama" which is frustrating to work around. Also, compensation is weak. I was told upon hiring that I would be evaluated for a raise. I've been working here for about a year, and a raise has never been mentioned (I'm going to request one soon, though). The franchise gives incentives for gift card sales, and I have never received any of that either.

Advice to Management

Setting up a clock in/clock out system would be helpful. We are only paid until a certain time and are expected to be done at that time. Not having a system set up to have us properly compensated if we work longer than the expected time is frustrating. Yes, we can go through a huge hassle with managers and have them approve a later time, but it is extremely frustrating.

RSS Feed </> Embed