Scooter's Coffeehouse Reviews

Updated March 15, 2015
17 reviews filtered by
2.6
Don Eckles

1. Arc owner is uninvolved and hard to approach. Hates women.

I have been working at Scooter's Coffeehouse

Pros

Regulars, an amazing manager, drinks, no drama with my coworkers

Cons

Closing alone. That's rather scary because some scooters have been robbed at gunpoint.
    Lack of deposit security.
    Pay isn't enough for how much you sell your soul to the store.

More pay.
    More closing people.

2. Loved my coworkers and the customers

I have been working at Scooter's Coffeehouse

Pros

Family like feeling. Hours are flexible

Cons

Pay was not at all worth the amount of work required for this job. Hard to advance in the company

3. For College Students

Former Employee - Barista in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Barista in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Scooter's Coffeehouse part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free drinks while on shift
    Decent working atmosphere
    Ability to make tips

Cons

Poor management
    Ignorant owner
    Awful drink quality/consistency

Learn about coffee if you own a coffee shop

5. Decent part time job.

Current Employee - Barista in Bellevue, NE
    Current Employee - Barista in Bellevue, NE

I have been working at Scooter's Coffeehouse part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fast paced job. It's fun and pretty good for entry level job. I love getting to know regular customers and getting great communication skills.

Cons

There is not much room for advancement, and it's also pretty unprofessional. There's a lot of "girl drama" which is frustrating to work around. Also, compensation is weak. I was told upon hiring that I would be evaluated for a raise. I've been working here for about a year, and a raise has never been mentioned (I'm going to request one soon, though). The franchise gives incentives for gift card sales, and I have never received any of that either.

Setting up a clock in/clock out system would be helpful. We are only paid until a certain time and are expected to be done at that time. Not having a system set up to have us properly compensated if we work longer than the expected time is frustrating. Yes, we can go through a huge hassle with managers and have them approve a later time, but it is extremely frustrating.

6. Room for much improvement

I have been working at Scooter's Coffeehouse part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Seeing regular customers, free drink of the day, flexible scheduling {sometimes}, working next to a Starbucks significantly decreased sales

Cons

The workload is too much for one person working a single shift, upper management has exceedingly high expectations but refuse to pay above minimum wage. A lot of dishonesty on the manager's part.

All in all if scooters claim to be such an amazing company, then treat your employees as such since they are the face of ur company!

7. Poor upper management

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Scooter's Coffeehouse full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Building relationships with regulars, and it's an easy job once you get the hang of it. Free coffee is a plus.

Cons

Horrible, horrible, upper management. They says they are there for franchisee's, but will not lift a finger when in a bind. The owners of the company as a whole are just in it for the profits. This makes it extremely hard for someone to really feel at home.

Stop name dropping every time you come through a store. Secret shopping would be way more effective. Help out your franchisee's, they're the ones getting word out about your company.

8. Poor upper management

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Scooter's Coffeehouse full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working there and building the relationships with regulars. Was fun when working with employees who know what's going on.

Cons

Poor owner and upper management. Once I became a manager this were a nightmare. Poorly paid, constant changes that weren't for the better of the company. The owner of our store was AWEFUL to employees. Very 2 faced and very demanding. Claims to be a family business. Lies.

Competitive wages, better and proper management on both corporate and store owner levels. Your store owners are representing you as a company.

9. Decent part time job, awful full time.

I worked at Scooter's Coffeehouse

Pros

As a part time employee I felt valued and hopeful about my future with the company. I was excited about the company's goals and enjoyed the customers and working off tips.

Cons

As a full time employee on salary, you don't make near what you're worth. The employee's that make their money for them and make their sales grow aren't compensated fairly and they lose their "A players" because of this.

10. Good coffee, decent culture and business model, but values 'long hours' too much.

I have been working at Scooter's Coffeehouse full-time

Pros

Scooter's sits in the gap between Starbucks and the local mom and pops shop, because it still uses manual machines and keeps in some of the processes that bigger coffee companies have had to drop to standardize things. It is big enough to enjoy the benefits of being large, like having it's own roasting facility and bakery.

Cons

Unfortunately, the salary is not competitive. It doesn't seem to be a very family friendly company, i.e. one that makes space for family, and offers competitive benefits etc.

Create systems for anonymous employee reviews to find out what employees need.

11. Horrible experience at Pearland Parkway

I have been working at Scooter's Coffeehouse part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Making new friends with customers.

Cons

Cleaning the yogurt machine is way too time consuming and takes a lot of effort. Too much cleaning especially with a semi med-big shop for coffee. Only one employee works per shift which is unsafe. Morning shifts and night shifts are the most dangerous for having a 17 year old female to work in the pitch dark especially after having a bar next to the coffee shop. Manager is never there to help and rarely comes to work. Horrible communication with employees as well and even after all of that, the pay is way too low and unbearable. No benefits to working here as of health or life insurance like Starbucks and many places other than half off drinks (only drinks are half off).

Please have better management skills. Please pay more. Please balance work and wage. There is no reason for someone to get cuts and sores for only 7.25 with NO raise and horrible tips. Oh and please don't be cheap with the a/c and heater. So be more selfless about that for your employees especially when you made us work in 85+ degrees INSIDE of the shop and having the toppings melt.

Scooter's Coffeehouse Photos