Scopely Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.5
Walter Driver

Are you ready to step it up?

Current Employee - Director of Product in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Product in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Scopely full-time (More than a year)

Pros

THIS IS MY HONEST OPINION: The people at Scopely are the most passionate, driven, and intelligent individuals that I have ever worked with. Working at Scopely feels like being on an all-star team. From the CEO to the most junior members of our team; everyone is an A player. So, while this winning environment is amazing, it can also be daunting. Scopely is a place where you will be tested; an opportunity to dig deep and see what you are capable of. It's not easy, but I wouldn't trade it for anything!

Cons

An environment this intense is not for everyone. In order to thrive at Scopely, you need both talent and determination. I don't see this as a "con", but before you join our team, ask your self ... Are you ready to step it up?

Advice to Management

Keep driving the vision and attracting the best talent, the strongest partners, and building the best games. But at the same time, maintain the humility to evaluate the strategy and be quick to adjust when necessary.

A lot of growth and development

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

Pros

I've gotten a lot of opportunities to learn and make an impact at the company. The people are passionate, intelligent, and very friendly The energy of Scopely is very exciting - lots of big projects and wins across the company The office is comfortable and social

Cons

Things are constantly changing. I like that, but some people find it jarring.

Advice to Management

Their ears are always open to employee feedback - this just needs to continue as the company scales!

Passionate, ambitious, transparent, unique game studio

Current Employee - Game Design in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Game Design in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Scopely full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1) Passion - People here, by and large, are driven to make great games and build a successful business. 2) Transparency - I've worked at many game companies in my career, and I've never seen this level of openness about the state of the company, the goals of the company, and and the methods with which we strive to achieve those goals. This is most apparent in the weekly company all-hands where we go over individual objectives, project updates, and detailed financials. It's very clear what we're trying to accomplish and how each team member is contributing to that target. 3) Games - This year will be transformative for the companies external profile. While continuing to invest in our tried and true genres, we're exploding into several more, and doing it with AAA IPs that are both exciting to work with and hugely beneficial to the performance of our titles. Unlike a lot of mobile shops, Scopely is not interested in cloning hits. Rather, we have the support to push the envelope on feature design, and every game in development has a few truly innovative core systems and creative angles. 4) Growth - Scopely is an entrepreneurial place to be. If you come in and are dedicated to doing amazing work, you will be recognized and given more responsibility. There's still work to be done creating growth tracks for all disciplines, so room for improvement for sure, but by and large this place rewards people who go above and beyond.

Cons

1) Growing Pains - It's a startup that's experiencing success and defining its future, and that means there's a lot to figure out. Over the last several months many key hires and process improvements have contributed to some stabilization, but if you're looking for a static experience, I would recommend a larger and more established studio, there are growth-related stressors. 2) Busy - again, it's a growing, successful startup on the verge of breaking through to the next level. While they're flexible about vacation time (it's not tracked) and business hours, expect to put in a lot of time. It's a work hard, play hard kind of place. It can be stressful, but if you're looking to make a big impact, the environment does offer the opportunity.

Advice to Management

Keep the passion burning, carry what makes Scopely great from startup phase to the next phase, don't be afraid of change, keep making yourselves transparently accountable

Big Things on the Horizon

I have been working at Scopely full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Incredible transparency. You will have a full picture of the kind of company Scopely is trying to build right when you join. Then during the weekly all hands meeting you will get a business update that tells you how the company is doing from a revenue standpoint, upcoming projects, cancelled projects, what different people are working on etc... It keeps people excited and on the same page. If the company begins to move in a direction that you do not like you will know very quickly. - The people here are incredibly intelligent and passionate about what they are doing. - Beautiful new office and work environment. You have endless areas to work depending on what environment suits you best (pure silence, laid back on a couch watching TV, in a busy open area like a cafe etc...) - They care about their people. Few organizations put as much time and effort into figuring out new ways to engage and take care of employees and their families (yearly company trip, a dedicated culture team, weekly planned and unplanned event by employees etc...)

Cons

- At times things can be frantic and unorganized - Need to make sure we train managers and employees on best practices

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency. Continue to make yourself available to everyone in the company so they feel connected. Take initiative in making sure people don't burn themselves out.

Upstart. Chaotic without proper vision/direction

I have been working at Scopely full-time

Pros

They pay well. Cool Startup-y culture. Free food and extra-curricular activities.

Cons

Very chaotic. Weak leadership. Management does not have a vision or clear sense of direction. Is political for a 100+ people company and everyone running around with chopped heads. Bad people dynamics.

Advice to Management

Hire well and motivate people to work hard. Value them. Have a vision and direction and execute against it. Be honest.

7. Data Scientist

Pros

people here are very nice and super supportive

Cons

none none none none none

Software Engineer Intern

Pros

The people at the company is amazing and super friendly. They're always willing to help regardless of how busy they are. I learned a lot from the company.

Cons

The company is growing really fast so there will be growing pain along the way.

9. Good company

Pros

Open environment, friendly people, great leader

Cons

none none none none none

Advice to Management

none

Had an amazing time

Pros

Really fun and smart people

Cons

Culture has changed now that it is much larger

Professionally valuable, if perhaps organizationally immature

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Scopely full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility and trust within the engineering organization, and a desire to make people successful. Company is making substantial strides towards regaining its footing after a difficult transition in early 2014. Explicit focus on building a collaborative and productive culture. Strong cadre of reliable, interesting, and talented people-- lots of room to build new things with small teams of dedicated engineers, learning a lot in the process.

Cons

Difficult end to 2013 and start to 2014 was tough on everyone. Lingering lack of clarity of vision, even three years into the company's history.

Advice to Management

Aim to slim the ranks of the hangers-on. The organization cannot long thrive with too many people in managerial positions. Don't hire for executive positions outside of the rigorous interview process-- we get burned every time. But mainly, push out any leaders who fail to lead and executives who fail to execute. They will not improve but will only drag the company down. And the founding team should largely step aside to advisory roles and allow professionals to take on positions such as CEO and COO. The skill sets of wooer of investors and of CEO are distinct.

RSS Feed </> Embed