Scopely

Exciting Time

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Scopely full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've never been so excited to be a part of a company, so I decided to write this review. As a company, we have a tremendous amount of opportunity ahead and the backing needed to continue to grow. The technical challenges my team work on are the most interesting I've faced in my career and my teammates are unbelievable.

Cons

Scopely is rapidly expanding and there are some growing pains that go along with that. Some of the policies and procedures we have are better suited to a small startup.

None.

Fun Place to Work and Learn

Current Employee - Manager in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Scopely full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Scopely is a fun place to work. Some of my closest friends work here and I've made friendships that will last a lifetime. I moved from out of state when I joined Scopely, so it was nice to be surrounded by people with similar interests.

My work has been challenging and I'm always encouraged to take on more. I've moved into a management position and my manager has been really supportive.

Cons

It feels like we change directions frequently. This is my first startup, so maybe this is par for the course. It seems like there's always good reason for the changes, but it can be difficult to make traction.

Continue to encourage your newer managers.

Good company

I worked at Scopely

Pros

Open environment, friendly people, great leader

Cons

none none none none none

none

Internship

Current Employee - Intern in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Scopely as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

My summer internship was great! My mentor was really patient with me and helped whenever I got stuck. At first I was intimidated because it was my first real job, but the people there made me feel comfortable. The work that I did is actually being used which is exciting. I made some close friends who I still keep in touch with.

Cons

I wish I had more time to finish my last project, but I had to return to school. After I graduate, I hope to return to finish the job.

Nothing I can think of.

Building Cool Stuff

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Scopely full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've been working at Scopely for a little less than a year and I've enjoyed my work. I like that I get to work on challenging projects with cool technology. The people I work with are really smart. I've learned a lot since joining.

The free lunches and endless soda are great.

Cons

Our office is pretty cool, but it's kind of cramped. We keep adding new people and I think we're going to outgrow our office space.

The free lunches and endless soda are making me gain weight.

Maybe we should get a larger office.

Had an amazing time

I have been working at Scopely

Pros

Really fun and smart people

Cons

Culture has changed now that it is much larger

Rebounding In A Big Way

I have been working at Scopely full-time

Pros

I've been at Scopely for a while and have seen it at it's worst. I can say without a doubt that many of the challenges this company faced while it grew have been fixed. Several key positions have recently been filled and have a tremendous amount of positive momentum. With improved organization and structure, people are stepping up and able to contribute to the success of our team.

Cons

Growing has been challenging and it has been difficult to fill some of our senior positions. As mentioned before, this is better than it was before.

Continue driving in the same direction, the future looks great. Empower your newer leaders to drive their teams.

Professionally valuable, if perhaps organizationally immature

I have been working at Scopely full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility and trust within the engineering organization, and a desire to make people successful. Company is making substantial strides towards regaining its footing after a difficult transition in early 2014. Explicit focus on building a collaborative and productive culture.

Strong cadre of reliable, interesting, and talented people-- lots of room to build new things with small teams of dedicated engineers, learning a lot in the process.

Cons

Difficult end to 2013 and start to 2014 was tough on everyone. Lingering lack of clarity of vision, even three years into the company's history.

Aim to slim the ranks of the hangers-on. The organization cannot long thrive with too many people in managerial positions. Don't hire for executive positions outside of the rigorous interview process-- we get burned every time. But mainly, push out any leaders who fail to lead and executives who fail to execute. They will not improve but will only drag the company down.

And the founding team should largely step aside to advisory roles and allow professionals to take on positions such as CEO and COO. The skill sets of wooer of investors and of CEO are distinct.

Great start-up and has its expected ups and downs

I have been working at Scopely full-time

Pros

When reading through the other reviews, I feel there have been some misconceptions
    - when a company grows as fast as Scopely, it has to make some tough choices : sometimes it asks people to leave (which is healthy for any company) - some reviewers who were asked to leave have reacted poorly
    - often it asks for folks to work very hard - some reviewers havent been at a startup
    - and often it makes mistakes... The question is how quickly does the company move on when it makes mistakes.
    Scopely has done a tremendous job once it understood its missteps to react fast! Perhaps not fast enough for some reviewers but super quick when compared to other startups.

Cons

- Focus - You will be asked to do a lot of things - prioritization is tough and mgmt often over-relies on individuals to be independent
    - Communication - constant communication is the key. Scopely has experiences some growth pains from when its easy to communicate at 20 people to when the channels have to change at 80. The Mgmt team in particular has difficulties here but has shown tremendous recent improvement!

Keep growing - dont stop!
    Improve hiring standards - some bad hires have led to an awful lot of churn. Move quick on the bad ones and empower the good ones!

Super stimulating, frequently challenging, always an adventure

Current Employee - Product Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Scopely full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at Scopely has been a transformational experience for me. I've seen the company grow exponentially over the past couple years and have had the privilege to work with some really amazing, brilliant and highly motivated people and have had a never ending series of challenges that has resulted in rapid personal and professional growth.

Pretty much everyone is highly collaborative, very low ego and extremely capable. We get to work on fun products that are used by millions of people. Year over year the company has been a phenomenal growth trajectory. Compensation is good, there are lots of perks (catered meals, yoga, international trips, massages at the office). I'd recommend Scopely highly to anyone who wants to immerse themselves in the challenges of a startup.

Cons

It's very fast paced--if you don't like moving quickly you won't like it here. The company has grown very quickly over the past couple years and is in a constant state of change--it's extremely hard to settle in here. It's unpredictable which is both exciting and unnerving for some people.

There have been times where it feels like the company has outgrown it's processes and management structure which has caused communication issues in the past--seems to be getting better.

Continue to improve and refine communication processes through the layers of the organization so everyone is aware of everything that's going on at all times.