Scopely Reviews

Walter Driver

1. Fantastic Company

Current Contractor - Marketing Editor in Culver City, CA
    Current Contractor - Marketing Editor in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Scopely as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone loves their jobs and seems happy to be here every day. Excellent work-life balance, lunch catered daily, great benefits for full-time employees.

Cons

Open concept workspace is very distracting.

2. Data Scientist

I have been working at Scopely

Pros

people here are very nice and super supportive

Cons

none none none none none

Software Engineer Intern

I have been working at Scopely

Pros

The people at the company is amazing and super friendly. They're always willing to help regardless of how busy they are. I learned a lot from the company.

Cons

The company is growing really fast so there will be growing pain along the way.

5. Good company

I worked at Scopely

Pros

Open environment, friendly people, great leader

Cons

none none none none none

Advice to Management

none

Internship

Current Intern - Intern in Culver City, CA
    Current Intern - Intern in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Scopely as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

My summer internship was great! My mentor was really patient with me and helped whenever I got stuck. At first I was intimidated because it was my first real job, but the people there made me feel comfortable. The work that I did is actually being used which is exciting. I made some close friends who I still keep in touch with.

Cons

I wish I had more time to finish my last project, but I had to return to school. After I graduate, I hope to return to finish the job.

Advice to Management

Nothing I can think of.

Had an amazing time

I have been working at Scopely

Pros

Really fun and smart people

Cons

Culture has changed now that it is much larger

Professionally valuable, if perhaps organizationally immature

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Scopely full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexibility and trust within the engineering organization, and a desire to make people successful. Company is making substantial strides towards regaining its footing after a difficult transition in early 2014. Explicit focus on building a collaborative and productive culture.

Strong cadre of reliable, interesting, and talented people-- lots of room to build new things with small teams of dedicated engineers, learning a lot in the process.

Cons

Difficult end to 2013 and start to 2014 was tough on everyone. Lingering lack of clarity of vision, even three years into the company's history.

Advice to Management

Aim to slim the ranks of the hangers-on. The organization cannot long thrive with too many people in managerial positions. Don't hire for executive positions outside of the rigorous interview process-- we get burned every time. But mainly, push out any leaders who fail to lead and executives who fail to execute. They will not improve but will only drag the company down.

And the founding team should largely step aside to advisory roles and allow professionals to take on positions such as CEO and COO. The skill sets of wooer of investors and of CEO are distinct.

Great start-up and has its expected ups and downs

I have been working at Scopely full-time

Pros

When reading through the other reviews, I feel there have been some misconceptions
    - when a company grows as fast as Scopely, it has to make some tough choices : sometimes it asks people to leave (which is healthy for any company) - some reviewers who were asked to leave have reacted poorly
    - often it asks for folks to work very hard - some reviewers havent been at a startup
    - and often it makes mistakes... The question is how quickly does the company move on when it makes mistakes.
    Scopely has done a tremendous job once it understood its missteps to react fast! Perhaps not fast enough for some reviewers but super quick when compared to other startups.

Cons

- Focus - You will be asked to do a lot of things - prioritization is tough and mgmt often over-relies on individuals to be independent
    - Communication - constant communication is the key. Scopely has experiences some growth pains from when its easy to communicate at 20 people to when the channels have to change at 80. The Mgmt team in particular has difficulties here but has shown tremendous recent improvement!

Advice to Management

Keep growing - dont stop!
    Improve hiring standards - some bad hires have led to an awful lot of churn. Move quick on the bad ones and empower the good ones!

Super stimulating, frequently challenging, always an adventure

Current Employee - Product Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Scopely full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working at Scopely has been a transformational experience for me. I've seen the company grow exponentially over the past couple years and have had the privilege to work with some really amazing, brilliant and highly motivated people and have had a never ending series of challenges that has resulted in rapid personal and professional growth.

Pretty much everyone is highly collaborative, very low ego and extremely capable. We get to work on fun products that are used by millions of people. Year over year the company has been a phenomenal growth trajectory. Compensation is good, there are lots of perks (catered meals, yoga, international trips, massages at the office). I'd recommend Scopely highly to anyone who wants to immerse themselves in the challenges of a startup.

Cons

It's very fast paced--if you don't like moving quickly you won't like it here. The company has grown very quickly over the past couple years and is in a constant state of change--it's extremely hard to settle in here. It's unpredictable which is both exciting and unnerving for some people.

There have been times where it feels like the company has outgrown it's processes and management structure which has caused communication issues in the past--seems to be getting better.

Advice to Management

Continue to improve and refine communication processes through the layers of the organization so everyone is aware of everything that's going on at all times.

Do you want stability or opportunity?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Scopely full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Why am I writing this: I work at Scopely and I want to make my team better. I want to bring people into our organization who can shape the team in a positive and helpful way. Looking at the reviews on this page you'd think Scopely is clinging to life. And I won't lie, there are certainly problems at the company. We have nascent management at the line level (people managing direct teams of ICs), we are competing in a difficult space, and we have huge goals. What does that translate into: sometimes, chaos. What else has it translated into: 4 consecutive #1 overall iOS games. I come to work everyday thinking about how I can shape this enterprise, and while there is definitely tumult, obstructions and quagmires against my goals - I at least have the ability to overcome them. If I were still at the big company I was at before, things would be stable but I wouldn't be able to really change anything.

As referenced in other posts - engineers and some senior leadership have left the team. Many of those engineers were rightfully terminated. Others chose to part, and some were unregretted attrition. Others left as a consequence of being managed by unproven managers, who have also since left/or have been terminated. This is the deal at a startup: you learn from your mistakes. We came into this space with clear technical skill and product vision, but then operational aspect of running a business and hiring is full of hard learned lessons. And we are learning them.

We have a stronger leadership team in place, the backing and influence of Eytan Elbaz, who, in 17 investments, has been an early investor in 2 multi-billion dollar exits - and we are really formalizing the vision of the products we want to bring to market. And, you know what, it takes hard work to make another big exit. I want to put in that work so I can look back and say: "I built that." I built that team. I built that product. I built that organization and process. And guess what - I truly believe I have that opportunity. I can't say the same for when I was at Amazon.

Point of the story - I am saddened by the experiences shared above, but I don't think they are truly reflective of the experiences people will have, and continue to have, at Scopely. They are the vitriolic words of post-termination and should be considered as such.

+Free (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
    +Free trips to Mexico
    +Paid benefits etc.
    +Close to the west side (10 minute commute from venice)

Cons

Chaos
    Young/inexperienced line managers
    Tough problems
    Long hours
    Lack of clarity surrounding certain projects/timelines/processes/etc.

Advice to Management

Think about the effect young leaders with very little management experience can have on teams.