Scotiabank

Scotiabank Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Scotiabank President and CEO Brian J. Porter

Brian J. Porter

Pros
  • work life balance, position title is higher than other Canadian banks(in 66 reviews)

• Relax work environment, great people and a stable company(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is not competitive and there aren't full time positions on the teller line, even few part time(in 8 reviews)

• Low salary; if you pay peanuts you get monkeys(in 8 reviews)

Good, solid bank with pleasant atmosphere.

(Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe company is in good shape at a time when the financial sector as a whole is in chaos. Offices and branches around the world mean opportunities for working abroad. There is an atmosphere if healthy competition, without much of the eat-rocks-and-crap-fire, alpha-dog stuff you might find elsewhere.

ConsA fair amount of second-guessing; lots of paperwork; some of the same territoriality you will find in any big organization. Office location next to WTC site will be a downer for some (at least until something is finally built there).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being cautious about risk and capital ratios. Maybe cut back a little on the strategic missives couched in wordy corporatese. When I read these, I'm not convinced that the thinking behind them is entirely clear.

Great Place to work ... if you find the right manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros+ Great work life balance
    + Friendly, helpful colleagues
    + Appreciated for your work and input

Cons- Low compensation (low base, bonus, benefits) and low compensation increase
    - Little opportunity for advancement
    - Even if you obtain more certifications or education, it doesn't move you up

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on compensation packages to retain top talent

Very good training program

Financial Advisor (Current Employee)

ProsStarted at bank earlier this year and have found the training staff and in branch coaches to be greatly supportive and helpful. Good corporate culture from what I understand, and very likely to promote from within

ConsTheir central operating system could stand to be updated. There are some process that take a lot longer than they need to. Some office politics but nothing unlike other work places

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice for new commers

ProsNice opportunities for new commers with Financial experience en Latin America

ConsJust starting a new challenge!

Overall Satisfying

Project Manager (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsDepending on your manager, there are opportunities for development of skills, obtaining certifications, mentoring etc. Many of the departments had really great people that you could work with. Like any organization, there will always be slackers who can be counter productive, but in this organisation they can be managed.

ConsDepending on the manager, there may be issues with work-life balance; (At times I worked over 80 hrs a week for months; definitely burnt out.) But then the same manager spent the next years trying to make work comfortable and gave me a lot of slack.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to have a better understanding of what is happening on the front lines. More fireside chats would help, and ensure they are mandatory and confidential.

Overall a good experience

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsManagers who do take an interest in your development, including getting feedback and skills development.

ConsTurnover and politics, people more interested in doing nothing rather than their jobs.

Excellent place to work

Branch Manager (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsEntrepreneurial culture, great training program, fantastic advancement opportunity.

ConsNone that I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone that I can think of.

Amazing Company to work for!

ProsThe collaborative relationships; the community involvement; the commitment to employee growth.

Consnone that I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to nurture the talent within Scotiabank.

Training opportunities are great

Customer Services Representative (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsTraining opportunities and growth is great.

ConsIt is next to impossible to get a promotion within the bank. Constantly stick you in position for contract and then hire someone else.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffice culture would be far better if more of the management staff acted like they were passionate about their jobs.

Limited growth opportunities.

Associate (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsThis is a position that would be great for someone right out of a masters program, but it should not be a position that lasts longer than 2 -3 years. After that point, the individual should definitely actively market themselves to move up into a competitor.

ConsThere is little emphasis on skill or career development and very limited dialogue in terms of how to position one's self for greater opportunities or increased responsibilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on developing employee skill sets and return the bank to a meritocracy. When the ubiquitous message within the organization is that skill has little to do with promotion, and rather the key factor leading to promotion is whether someone above an employee is going to or has already quit, the organization needs to reassess.

Scotiabank Social Media Manager responded to this review

Jul 21, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We truly value your feedback and welcome the opportunity to address your concerns. Employee development is extremely important to Scotiabank and as ... More

Worked for Scotiabank? Contribute to the Community!