Scotiabank

Scotiabank Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Scotiabank President and CEO Brian J. Porter

Brian J. Porter

Pros
  • work life balance, position title is higher than other Canadian banks(in 66 reviews)

• Relax work environment, great people and a stable company(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is not competitive and there aren't full time positions on the teller line, even few part time(in 8 reviews)

• Low salary; if you pay peanuts you get monkeys(in 8 reviews)

Training opportunities are great

Customer Services Representative (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsTraining opportunities and growth is great.

ConsIt is next to impossible to get a promotion within the bank. Constantly stick you in position for contract and then hire someone else.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffice culture would be far better if more of the management staff acted like they were passionate about their jobs.

Limited growth opportunities.

Associate (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsThis is a position that would be great for someone right out of a masters program, but it should not be a position that lasts longer than 2 -3 years. After that point, the individual should definitely actively market themselves to move up into a competitor.

ConsThere is little emphasis on skill or career development and very limited dialogue in terms of how to position one's self for greater opportunities or increased responsibilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on developing employee skill sets and return the bank to a meritocracy. When the ubiquitous message within the organization is that skill has little to do with promotion, and rather the key factor leading to promotion is whether someone above an employee is going to or has already quit, the organization needs to reassess.

Scotiabank Social Media Manager responded to this review

Jul 21, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We truly value your feedback and welcome the opportunity to address your concerns. Employee development is extremely important to Scotiabank and as ... More

My experience with Scotiabank has been good. The people are friendly and professional.

Confirmation Officer (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGood place to learn and they have a lot of opportunities are advancement and training

ConsThere needs to be improvements with benefits and options for investments

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

pbo

PBO (Current Employee) Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

Prosnot bad atmosphere to work, not much work to do, easy job

Consnot much to grow, very less opportunities, less salary ,

Advice to Senior Managementincrease salary, give opportunities to current employers

Great Company

ProsLost of opportunities to apply your knowledge!

ConsLocation might be a challenge

Excellent place to work!

Director (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsThere are a large number of long-tenured employees which speaks volumes about how employees feel about this company. Strong values, and employees are treated with respect. There are many opportunities and due to the global reach of the company, employees can literally have numerous careers while being in the same company. The culture of Scotiabank is truly what sets it apart from the other FIs in Canada and has led to very strong employee commitment.

ConsLike any large company, it can be difficult to navigate your way through the relationships between areas and departments. Decision making can take longer than expected due to the complexity of the structure, which can be frustrating.

Good place to work...

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

ProsBeing an international organization, there are many opportunities' to learn and grow. People are very respectful and kind. I found support in many places and people who gave me hand even when the project did not impact them directly. That says something about the motto.

ConsBig company, change can be slow...

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are many opportunities in the documentation.

Analyst

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGood working environment, work life balance

ConsIt is hard to realize career goal.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo personal growth.

great experience, nice culture, open communication

Personal Banking Officer (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Prosnice culture (depends on branch), friendly people, good compensations, nice intensives

Consmicromanagement (depends on branch), not much flexibility in terms of leaving early for an hour for personal circumstances (had to take half a day off instead)

Advice to Senior Managementallows your employees to work independently, they will bring better results

plesant atmosphere

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros- Great work/life balance
    - Nice work atmosphere
    - great people to work with

Cons- health benefit is terrible

Worked for Scotiabank? Contribute to the Community!