Scotiabank

Scotiabank Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Scotiabank President and CEO Brian J. Porter

Brian J. Porter

Pros
  • work life balance, position title is higher than other Canadian banks (in 66 reviews)

• Relax work environment, great people and a stable company (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is not competitive and there aren't full time positions on the teller line, even few part time (in 8 reviews)

• Low salary; if you pay peanuts you get monkeys (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI enjoyed working at scotia bank, they have a strong sense of community and family. Did not feel like work at all when i was there.

Consbecause it is a big company it will take some time to climb the ladder, so you have to be patient and have a clear direction as to where you want to go in the company.

Good work life balance

ProsTraining content was in depth. Great people to work with. Senior and district Management genuinely wants to be a part of the learning process with staff.

ConsPay does not match up with the knowledge expected. Benefits are not great. There is a great learning plan but no time allocated to work on it. Policies are always changing it's hard to keep up to date. Knowledge required for the job is too much for one person.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllocate time within a work day for training programs. Improve pay and benefits to be competitive with industries in the area.

Boring workplace like a senior housing project

Director (Former Employee) New York, NY

Proswork life balance is often cited. This is about the only thing worth mentioning..

ConsCompany values: keep your job security by not working or taking initiatives.
    Office culture: do not reward people who go out of their ways to help others

Advice to Senior ManagementAn example of follower-culture that takes no risks in doing anything. Better re-start!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worked with sub par people

Director (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThere really are no pros

ConsLow salary; if you pay peanuts you get monkeys

Advice to Senior ManagementCommit suicide

Wonderful

Assistant Manager Human Resources (Former Employee) Christiansted, VI

ProsTeam Oriented, successful, integrity, Training and Development, and more.

ConsNot competitive enough to help employees drive successful sales results.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more competitive. It will help to drive great sales results. Employees will be more motivated to reach out for the business.

Too much bureaucracy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe Scotiabank name is a synonym for security.

ConsMaking the systems and operations the same for several countries is not effective.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more authority to the people in the countries they operate.

It is a great place to enter the banking industry, if you would like to make it a career.

Personal Banking Officer (Current Employee) Saint Thomas, VI

ProsWonderful people to work with;very family oriented. Everyone makes you feel comfortable when you're new to a branch.

ConsThe compensation could be better, and changes in the workplace should be relayed to the staff in a reasonable amount of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach!

Great Company

ProsCareer advancement , committment to employees, team approach to work and work/life balance

ConsTechnolgy systems are old. Long hours

Advice to Senior ManagementInvestment in technology to enhance your employee work product and efficiencies.

I've worked 3 years at Scotiabank

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood work life balance. Great clients to work with. Excellent peers and internal staff to work with. Really just enjoyable day in and day out.

ConsDownsizing in the US. Company has no interest in the US and is fading away fast. Last two years have been spent worrying about when the company is pulling out of the US.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time to stop repeating the bank is Canadian's most International Bank. Besides Canada and Mexico the bank is sporadically located.

Not for hard workers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNone (atleast in IT dept)

ConsSeveral. Unqualified people holding senior position

Advice to Senior ManagementIts down the drain anyway.

Worked for Scotiabank? Contribute to the Community!