Scotiabank Reviews

633 reviews filtered by
3.5
Scotiabank President and CEO Brian J. Porter
Brian J. Porter

Pros
  • work life balance, position title is higher than other Canadian banks (in 80 reviews)

• weekly team meetings which encourages a team-oriented work environment (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Was recruited with a promise of improved work life balance - this hasn't materialized (in 6 reviews)

• Some office politics but nothing unlike other work places (in 9 reviews)

Manager's are allowed to bully staff, without any fear of interference from HR.

I have been working at Scotiabank

Pros

- Clients are wonderful!
    - Free bank account and Premium credit cards.

Cons

- ZERO work/life balance.
    - EXTREME favoritism.
    - Complete lack of respect for staff privacy rights.
    - Manager's allowed to swear at and abuse staff without any fear of reprisal.
    - Immigrant staff face bullying to such a degree that it is affecting health and family relationships. If a first generation Canadian makes an honest error, s/he is belittled, reprimanded and written up; in front of staff & customers alike. Any other staff make identical error on same date, it is never noticed.

- Stop bullying, belittling, threatening, and demeaning employees that are more knowledgeable than you.
    - Respect Client AND Staff privacy.
    - Act on customer complaints about breaches of privacy. Lives are being irreparably damaged because you refuse to address issues with your drinking partners.

Paranoid employees

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative (Scotiabank) in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Scotiabank

Pros

As a recent graduate in finance with no experience, working at the Scotiabank branch helped me build my resume. Also, working at the head office branch in Toronto was a great opportunity to meet executives from various departments of the bank and companies located near Bay and King.

Cons

Working at the branch was an environment of hostility and paranoia. There was no trust between supervisors and employees, and employees were constantly afraid of getting "in trouble".

There needs to be real training- both at the Scotiabank branch and at ScotiaMcLeod. In my experience with both companies I had no real training, and there was no accountability to anyone to ensure I had been taught anything properly. The idea was new employees would sink or swim. This is not beneficial to the organization- I utilized my resources and learned things on my own- but many employees did not. I watched employees on a daily basis give bad customer service, and even turn opportunities away due to a lack of knowledge.

Scotiabank Response

Feb 26, 2015Employer: Scotiabank

We appreciate your review and are sorry to hear your experience with Scotiabank was unsatisfactory. We’d like you to know that Employees are Scotiabank’s most valuable asset and the Bank is dedicated ... More

Low respect for Contractors

Former Contractor - Campaign Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Contractor - Campaign Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Scotiabank as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Helpful colleagues and age average is trending lower. Matrix environment for the most part.

Cons

Its supposed to be a Matrix environment with campaign/project managers having some authority, but in reality everyone is micromanaged by bosses like typical old-fashioned financial company.
    There was absolutely no training for contract position, and at the end of contract, they dont renew without any reason/feedback/communication.

Dont claim to be a Matrix organization when in reality team management is stuck in old century!

Outdated Technology, Demeaning managers, low salary based upon industry average, micro managed and no training

Current Employee - Senior Project Leader in Scarborough, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Project Leader in Scarborough, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Scotiabank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

there are average banking benefits

Cons

using timesheet system from 1980
    lots of outdated technology
    horrible choice of vendors
    no paid training
    old school management that micromanages you
    very low training based upon industry average and amount of work required of you
    no work/life balance and work from home policy
    workload unmanageable most people stay till 7:30 pm or go home and continue work in order to complete all duties
    people aren't very social
    benefits package not very good

revise roles and responsibilities
    hire younger people and management
    change rule about not being able to leave job until you work for 3 years in the same position
    higher pay!
    please use updated tools and technology, using mainframe to do timesheet is just sad
    have a paid training program
    better head office location would help, old factory is just sad and theres nothing to do around there

Scotiabank Response

Feb 11, 2015Social Media Manager

We respect your point of view and appreciate your detailed feedback. We’d like to direct you to our Ideas In Action website available via HR Passport. The site is designed specifically with employees ... More

Stepping Stone

I worked at Scotiabank

Pros

Willing to give you a chance to work there with limited job experience

Cons

Compensation is on the low end compared to other banks. Training program was horrible. Gave me a bunch of CDs to memorize then rushed through all the work functions in a matter of days.

Old fashioned management, conservative, horrible working environment

Former Employee - Senior Relationship Manager in Mexico City (Mexico)
    Former Employee - Senior Relationship Manager in Mexico City (Mexico)

I worked at Scotiabank full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Scotiabank is a mediocre bank, so therefore workload is easily manageable and thus life/work balance is OK.

Cons

My experience is from directly in Global Transaction Banking. Old fashioned management in which bosses have the ultimate word not open to discussion. Working environment is terrible, people is not given the chance to grow or to even speak up their mind or ideas, so everybody is frustrated. There were people in their mid 40s with the same position as me, making less money. they've been in the same position for years. There are also limited growth opportunities. Salaries are way below industry average and perks and benefits are poor. When I gave notice I was insulted by my direct manager. If you are a well prepared, driven professional you should absolutely avoid this bank.

They preach work/life balance, but expect much, much more.

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Scotiabank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Commute. Will remain a shareholder as they make so much money, cutting corners everywhere, especially with employees.

Cons

Poor pay, poor bonuses, terrible benefits, raises that don't even make up for inflation. Terrible ESOP program! They expect lots of overtime, even with exceptional sales numbers, if you want a good quarterly review. This is even after losing a class action suit for overtime. Promise promotions, always around the corner, but only to those that suck up and work 60+ hours a week. Branch was asked to bring in food from home on customer appreciation day as it "wasn't in the budget". Company makes billions a quarter, but won't pay for anything. I had to pay for my own office Christmas party!!!

With better salaries you could attract better quality people and have less turn over. Pay for designations to advance their careers without management approval and red tape. Make employees feel valued by paying for their coffee and Christmas parties. Increase ESOP and take out that ridiculous max out amount (It says 4% but it isn't even close as you have this max out figure that doesn't even make sense). The change in benefits is horrible and was the last straw for me. Now looking elsewhere.

Management is full of **it

Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Scarborough, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Scarborough, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Scotiabank part-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Colleagues are generally a great set of people, willing to engage and be friendly

Cons

-Same colleagues can also act like they're in high school

MANAGEMENT

-Management is a huge problem, from managers sitting there on facebook/having loud conversations with employees while others are on calls/working to simply throwing you under the bus when it comes to taking criticisms (ex. one of their employees needs to be trained on something, but they take it as a personal attack, clients don't get great service and analyst keeps making the same mistake).
    -spend a lot of time micromanaging analysts that do better than most, instead of managing those that aren't pulling their weight
    -Worse thing about management is that they make promises but never do anything. Currently part time, however instead of hiring me as fulltime, they've decided to hire several new analysts through contracts (and they've hired several previously while I was partime) when it makes more sense to increase the hours given to someone who has already worked the job and as per reviews one of the top people there
    -They promised another analyst that if he worked lateshift it would work to his benefit to get fulltime with Scotiabank, instead after a getting an extension on his contract he was forced to find another position because they wouldn't hire him fulltime.
    - Management takes credit for all these statistical improvements, when really it simply a matter of hiring more employees(half of them are not even the right ones) because they were extremely understaffed before (department went from 20 employees to 41 at last count)

Keep talent, and let it grow. Hiring them just to work them into a corner and do nothing with them, means that talent won't stay and you will do horribly when reviews come.

You are doing an absolutely terrible job and I can't wait to leave.

Scotiabank is not invested in it's people.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Scotiabank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Good work life balance
    -Multi-cultural - lots of 'fun' events for employees to attend.
    -Nice looking Logo. The color red was a great choice.
    -Great cafeteria

Cons

-Lowest compensation/benefits of all the banks

-They will not pay for your professional development (even if you're in Finance and want to pursue a CPA)

-They do not support your personal growth. There is no formal mentorship program. There is no leadership development program. It is all lip service.

-With the new CEO, it is not longer a 'safe' workplace anymore. There have been lots of job cuts.

-You will not be promoted based on merit. Make sure to buy your boss lots of coffees!

Invest in your people. A fancy memo to employees does not count. Actually support their professional growth...once again, lip service doesn't count.

The mentorship program is a complete joke. Once again, a fancy memo with photoshop pictures. What does it translate to?

"Find someone who is more senior than you, ask them for coffee and talk about your career". Once again, you can not call this a mentorship program. That's Networking 1.0. Everyone does it anyways. With or without bank support.

The worst career decision

I worked at Scotiabank full-time

Pros

Work life balance is ok

Cons

Work life balance (you pay will be significantly less than market)
    It's too laid back here
    The company does not cross train employees
    Managers do not offer promotions
    Systems are antiquated
    Information is not shared with other groups
    There will be no one to train you and at the end of the year it will be held against you (because that makes sense)
    The bank is insanely cheap
    TAG is terrible responding to requests
    Knowledge and hard work does not translate to a better salary or bonus
    If you try to move to a different role your manager will block you
    If you come here negotiate as high as you can on both salary and title