Scotiabank

Scotiabank Reviews in Toronto, ON Canada

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Scotiabank President and CEO Brian J. Porter

Brian J. Porter

Pros
  • work life balance, position title is higher than other Canadian banks(in 66 reviews)

• Relax work environment, great people and a stable company(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is not competitive and there aren't full time positions on the teller line, even few part time(in 8 reviews)

• Low salary; if you pay peanuts you get monkeys(in 8 reviews)

217 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Overall Satisfying

Project Manager (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsDepending on your manager, there are opportunities for development of skills, obtaining certifications, mentoring etc. Many of the departments had really great people that you could work with. Like any organization, there will always be slackers who can be counter productive, but in this organisation they can be managed.

ConsDepending on the manager, there may be issues with work-life balance; (At times I worked over 80 hrs a week for months; definitely burnt out.) But then the same manager spent the next years trying to make work comfortable and gave me a lot of slack.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to have a better understanding of what is happening on the front lines. More fireside chats would help, and ensure they are mandatory and confidential.

Overall a good experience

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsManagers who do take an interest in your development, including getting feedback and skills development.

ConsTurnover and politics, people more interested in doing nothing rather than their jobs.

Excellent place to work

Branch Manager (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsEntrepreneurial culture, great training program, fantastic advancement opportunity.

ConsNone that I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone that I can think of.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Limited growth opportunities.

Associate (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsThis is a position that would be great for someone right out of a masters program, but it should not be a position that lasts longer than 2 -3 years. After that point, the individual should definitely actively market themselves to move up into a competitor.

ConsThere is little emphasis on skill or career development and very limited dialogue in terms of how to position one's self for greater opportunities or increased responsibilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on developing employee skill sets and return the bank to a meritocracy. When the ubiquitous message within the organization is that skill has little to do with promotion, and rather the key factor leading to promotion is whether someone above an employee is going to or has already quit, the organization needs to reassess.

Scotiabank Social Media Manager responded to this review

Jul 21, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We truly value your feedback and welcome the opportunity to address your concerns. Employee development is extremely important to Scotiabank and as ... More

My experience with Scotiabank has been good. The people are friendly and professional.

Confirmation Officer (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGood place to learn and they have a lot of opportunities are advancement and training

ConsThere needs to be improvements with benefits and options for investments

Excellent place to work!

Director (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsThere are a large number of long-tenured employees which speaks volumes about how employees feel about this company. Strong values, and employees are treated with respect. There are many opportunities and due to the global reach of the company, employees can literally have numerous careers while being in the same company. The culture of Scotiabank is truly what sets it apart from the other FIs in Canada and has led to very strong employee commitment.

ConsLike any large company, it can be difficult to navigate your way through the relationships between areas and departments. Decision making can take longer than expected due to the complexity of the structure, which can be frustrating.

Analyst

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGood working environment, work life balance

ConsIt is hard to realize career goal.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo personal growth.

Good experience to learn something new in a big bank

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsYou may get used to the culture of the big bank with some good training courses.

ConsYou may get difficult to internal transfer with the good opportunity if you just get promoted in one or two years. Then you see the opportunity was gone in front of you.

plesant atmosphere

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros- Great work/life balance
    - Nice work atmosphere
    - great people to work with

Cons- health benefit is terrible

So far so good.

Contract Specialist (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsLots of responsibility. Great boss. Great company. International scope.

ConsLong hours. Poor compensation for time worked.

Advice to Senior ManagementFair pay.

Worked for Scotiabank? Contribute to the Community!