Scotiabank Reviews in Toronto, ON

Updated September 18, 2014
3.4

Scotiabank President and CEO Brian J. Porter
Brian J. Porter

Pros
  • work life balance, position title is higher than other Canadian banks (in 66 reviews)

• Relax work environment, great people and a stable company (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is not competitive and there aren't full time positions on the teller line, even few part time (in 8 reviews)

• Low salary; if you pay peanuts you get monkeys (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

230 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Toronto Head Office Finance

Former Employee - Finance Manager  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Scotiabank full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Gain experience, have rotational program to train you, great people that willing to teach and promote you. Will assist your career path. Helped my sister and brother in law to get a job. I attained my MBA with this company, my CMA designation, My house, and baby.

Cons

20% lower than market salary but will not fire ppl. Allow ppl to look for job even after sold of the department for a duration of 2 years. Treat mother differently, will not give so much challenge to you once you are a mother.

Should have a annual career plan for staff, even after staff turn to a mother.

Great place to intern, everyone was willing

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Scotiabank as an intern for less than a year

Pros

There were pre-defined goals set in place by my manager at the beginning of my term. I was kept very busy, often staying late to complete the work. When I ask questions, which was often, everyone was willing to take the time and make sure that I understood the crux of the answer.

Everyone in the group was willing to be personable to me and that's all you can ask for.

Cons

I was given lots of work, and while not overwhelming, I often worked late to the point that I was reminded that I could go home.

Make sure to keep this program around for others! I learned lots of skills and gained a better understanding of how the business operates.

Overall satisfactory

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Scotiabank full-time for more than a year

Pros

In general, people are treating each other with respect. Same as other big institutions, there can be a lot of internal job opportunities - depending on individual's experience, skills and educational level. Many employees have faith in the bank's international footprint.

Cons

Pay is below average, in particular at non-managerial levels. There has been increasingly more push for sales in various departments, even roles that are traditionally not sales oriented.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Scotiabank International

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Scotiabank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work life balance. Good flexibility in terms of work. Relatively stable in terms of maintaining your job

Cons

Not clear direction, definition of strategy. Salary and benefits are below their main competitors.

More involvement on what countries do and work on

Friendly environment, Normal people, Not super geeks that can make you afraid of IT, Compensation is fine

Current Employee - Co-op Programmer Analyst  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Co-op Programmer Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Scotiabank full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly, Enjoyable, Good learning experience

Cons

Sometimes deadlines may come very frequent and you wont have time, Compensation is like all other banks

Thank your for giving me a chance to prove myself

Analyst

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Scotiabank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good colleagues, good communication, nice work environment

Cons

Low pay, salary, benefits, vacation pay

Should be more professional

Good and secure place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Scotiabank full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lot's of opportunity to learn from courses and colleagues and have new work experiences. Good ideas well expressed are very welcome.

Cons

Lot's of red tape - as per any large organization; slow to make decisions; politics abound.

Leaders need to give priority to leading their teams and treating people with respect, too many political players in the leadership.

Scotiabank is not invested in it's people.

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Scotiabank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Good work life balance
    -Multi-cultural - lots of 'fun' events for employees to attend.
    -Nice looking Logo. The color red was a great choice.
    -Great cafeteria

Cons

-Lowest compensation/benefits of all the banks

-They will not pay for your professional development (even if you're in Finance and want to pursue a CPA)

-They do not support your personal growth. There is no formal mentorship program. There is no leadership development program. It is all lip service.

-With the new CEO, it is not longer a 'safe' workplace anymore. There have been lots of job cuts.

-You will not be promoted based on merit. Make sure to buy your boss lots of coffees!

Invest in your people. A fancy memo to employees does not count. Actually support their professional growth...once again, lip service doesn't count.

The mentorship program is a complete joke. Once again, a fancy memo with photoshop pictures. What does it translate to?

"Find someone who is more senior than you, ask them for coffee and talk about your career". Once again, you can not call this a mentorship program. That's Networking 1.0. Everyone does it anyways. With or without bank support.

Not a bad place to work

Current Employee - Manager  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Scotiabank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life-balance is valued, people are more down to earth and it is less cliquey that other Banks. Seems to be quite a bit of opportunity to move around between business lines.

Cons

Company is currently undergoing a lot of change, which brings uncertainty. Expense control is always a top priority which results in pretty lean amenities and "corporate comforts". Previously generous benefits were brought down to slightly below market.

Invest in the company's infrastructure and employees - training, training, training, training.

great people but poor compensation

Current Employee - Manager  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Scotiabank full-time

Pros

people are generally friendly and supportive, and it is growing significanlty in Latin America.

Cons

Poor compensation and benefits; management puts harsh rules on minimum required time for each role

It is hard to find a people manager who has a genuine interest in employee's career development. Harsh rule of minimum required time at each role has been imposed by senior management on their lower level employees and this rule impedes talent development and negatively affects employees' morale. Therefore, it is imperative for Scotiabank to assess the style of people manager and make them role model for their employees.

Scotiabank Response

Aug 27, 2014Social Media Manager

Thank you for your review. We want you to know your feedback is very valuable to us. The link below is from our public website and it details Scotiabank’s commitment to developing Leadership & also ... More

Worked for Scotiabank? Contribute to the Community!