Scottrade

Scottrade Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Scottrade Founder, President, and CEO Rodger O. Riney

Rodger O. Riney

Pros:
  • "The work/life balance is great--I never put in longer than an 8-hour day"
    in 37 reviews
  • "It's also a great place for young college grads to get resume experience"
    in 30 reviews
Cons:
  • "no room for advancement unless you want to change your job title and keep doing the same thing"
    in 21 reviews
  • "Small office environment, lack of growth/promotion unless willing to move to St"
    in 18 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Starting job not a career.

Stock Broker (Current Employee)

ProsBiweekly paycheck. Weekends off and paid holidays. Good place for interns and trainees. Little to no experience is required.

ConsOver worked and under paid. No support from upper and middle management and favoritism is very common. Branch managers and consultants are treated like second citizens and explanations are giving by upper management like you're a little kid.

Stock Broker

ProsGood firm to start your financial career

ConsLack of training and managers who knows as much as you do

Fake Experienced QA Personnel gets hired frequently

Applications Developer (Current Employee)
    Westminster, CO

ProsGreat company to work for.

ConsBad decisions are being made frequently to hire QA who fake experience and hired as Senior App development support and/or Senior QA Engineer.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease do a detailed background check for IT Quality Assurance Analyst (QA) jobs as people who are being hired fakes their experience by showing out of state, non-existent companies aboard, and elsewhere. Almost the hires we made last few years are those who have worked as Babysitters, Groceries clerk, Administrative Assistant with no real IT experience. This will hurt our reputation to manage and provide exceptional service to our customers who trust our trading experience.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Paper Pushing & Asset Gathering

Investment Consultant (Current Employee)
    Cincinnati, OH

ProsVery reasonable hours and vacation time. New emphasis on asset gathering can be potentially rewarding. If you like your co-workers, it's not that bad.

ConsBoring. Emphasis on asset gathering can also be a curse if you don't like sales. Scottrade seems behind the times in terms of technology and product offerings, but that may be changing with new management.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeems to be moving in the right direction, but not fast enough.

Company lacks integrity, at the highest leadership level.

Branch Associate (Current Employee)

ProsIt was a job for several years but I could always see there was no commitment from the company. Benefits were average for industry. I wish there was something positive to say about this company--just deception.

ConsRecently added management contends that they came to Scottrade for the corporate culture however we have been trained into the corporate culture of TD Ameritrade, in fact the big question recently has been when are we changing the sign on the wall to reflect the new name after the acquisition. Does middle management think they have a future with the "restructure"? You are unnecessary now and getting more so each day. This seems to be a great place for interns but this company lost its way with decades of incompetent ownership/leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee you out in the job market. Recognize now that you will not be taking any marketable skills or level of success with you as your position at Scottrade carried little more than a title, Mr./Mrs regional, jr vice, sr vice, president of the assistants to the associates, or whatever. Cheers!

Great place to work but mananager can make life hell

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEasy work, very good work eithic taught in training, company really does wanna help people

ConsAwful branch politics, basically manager is the bully that gets to pick on everyone. Office's are usually 3-4 brokers. Upper managemenent wont give a sh*t about you but HR might help.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more communication with branches and branch managers

Great place to work

ProsCare about your skills and knowledge

ConsNeed to relocate to excel

If you're looking for a Career Path, don't bother

Manager (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

Proswork/life balance is okay. If you're looking for steady work in the industry and you're in a decent branch, it's okay. If you have no career aspirations beyond branch manager, then this may be the company for you. If you genuinely like helping customers - it's okay.

ConsNo advancement beyond branch manager. Corporate culture is insular - people are promoted due to friendship not skills or experience. Majority of middle and senior management are in over their heads. However, even though your Series 7 license allows you to actually help a customer choose investments, Scottrade has decided you're not capable of it - so they've hired some young turks who sit in St. Louis, who don't have any experience telling older folks with money how to invest it. That's where I want to send my parents!!

Advice to Senior ManagementThey're not listening. Too busy going to Blues Games, bowling - taking pictures of all the Corporate people having fun at events at the Scottrade Center when the rest of the poor slobs at the branches have to grin and bear it.

Compensation is improving but only if you have sales skills. Benefits are adequate - not even close to the best in the industry. No etf's in the 401K plan. They've finally improved the vacation benefits to match the rest of the industry.

Training is completed by what I can only guess are ex-kindergarten teachers. It is not professional training for financial professionals but dumbed down to the lowest common denominator. Considering some of the folks that have been hired from TD with limited experience plus the young Turks - maybe that's appropriate.

VP

Vice President (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

Prosbenefits good; major new areas being built out following restructuring, so can expect to rise with the tide if you are in the right area (product development, call center). Access to executives at HQ is remarkable - impossible in most other firms

Conssalaries are low; a discount broker, so discount in every sense; S/T is fighting for its life to remain competitive and has a small window to achieve this before the big boys make trades free; S/T needs to free itself from dependence on trading commissions before it can breathe freely; this is the crawl-before-walk stage for the firm;

Advice to Senior Managementanticipate rather than react

Fun and easy going work environment

Branch Intern (Current Employee)

ProsCurrently in the process of doing more business development with their brokers, which will give incentive to increase market share. The culture is very relaxed and for the most part customers are extremely friendly and fun to work with.

ConsPay is below par, but for the work is reasonable. Interns may only work 24 hours in a week

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow expanded intern hours

Worked for Scottrade? Contribute to the Community!

Scottrade Videos

Scottrade – Why Work for Us?

A Brief History of Scottrade Rodger Riney began our company more than 30 years ago with a focus on providing deep discounts along with customer satisfaction to the individual investor. Since then, we have dramatically… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Scottrade reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Scottrade CEO Rodger O. Riney. All 419 reviews posted anonymously by Scottrade employees.