Scottrade

Scottrade Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Scottrade Founder, President, and CEO Rodger O. Riney

Rodger O. Riney

Pros:
  • "The work/life balance is great--I never put in longer than an 8-hour day"
    in 37 reviews
  • "It's also a great place for young college grads to get resume experience"
    in 30 reviews
Cons:
  • "no room for advancement unless you want to change your job title and keep doing the same thing"
    in 21 reviews
  • "Small office environment, lack of growth/promotion unless willing to move to St"
    in 18 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsUsed to be a great place to work.

ConsExecutive management encourages back stabbing and politics instead of loyalty and ethics.
    The "former employee" reviews of high ratings appear made up. If they felt so positive about the company they would have stayed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to your more humble and humane roots. You back stab each other and demean those who work for you. Employees see this and talk about it. Get rid of the caste and favoritism environment.

VP

Vice President (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

Prosbenefits good; major new areas being built out following restructuring, so can expect to rise with the tide if you are in the right area (product development, call center). Access to executives at HQ is remarkable - impossible in most other firms

Conssalaries are low; a discount broker, so discount in every sense; S/T is fighting for its life to remain competitive and has a small window to achieve this before the big boys make trades free; S/T needs to free itself from dependence on trading commissions before it can breathe freely; this is the crawl-before-walk stage for the firm;

Advice to Senior Managementanticipate rather than react

Scottrade is paying HR employees to give the 4 and 5 star reviews. Don't necessarily believe those.

Advisor Services (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsGood work life balance. Some nice people mixed with some very political back stabbers. Above average 401(k) match. They work hard to make themselves look good in the media, buyer beware.

ConsUpside will not be based on performance. The managers promote their friends, and sometimes these folks were poor performers and dishonest. Professional people generally end up frustrated. The upper management uses them to fix their issues and then fires them. They love making departments part of their call center. They do not want key employees, if they think you are becoming too valuable, they get rid of you. Very fickle senior management. Its best to just execute their ideas and not to add your own. This is Rineys hobby, and he wants to do it his way. He does not care if it fails. He drives professionals crazy this way. Micromanagement is their way. Company prefers untested and unproven puppets to proven professionals. They have no problem misrepresenting your performance to get you fired. They have no problem making misrepresentations to the media to make themselves appear more successful. Watch your back and do not believe the hype.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe most successful companies surround themselves with the best people. Have you?

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Marketing position

Marketing Analyst (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsWork life balance is great

ConsManagement is incompetent and out of touch

Great if you like a company that has no direction and changes their business model frequently

Branch Manager (Former Employee)

ProsUsed to have a great culture and business

ConsBrings in people from the outside who do not understand the way the company built itself to change the business model and company culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of Matt Wilson and whoever he brought with him from TD Ameritrade. He ruined the culture of the company and pollutes the environment there every day.

If you want to move up, I hope you want to live in St. Louis.

Branch Manager (Former Employee)

ProsSmall company, good 401K plan, fairly low stress

ConsNo advancement potential, poor decision making by senior management

Advice to Senior ManagementStart to try to create opportunities for people in the branches. Too many VPs in St. Louis and not enough leadership in the actual stores.

Fun and easy going work environment

Branch Intern (Current Employee)

ProsCurrently in the process of doing more business development with their brokers, which will give incentive to increase market share. The culture is very relaxed and for the most part customers are extremely friendly and fun to work with.

ConsPay is below par, but for the work is reasonable. Interns may only work 24 hours in a week

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow expanded intern hours

good place to start an entry level career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsScottrade offers good insurance, wellness benefits, and a good work life balance. Vacation and pay are relatively competitive within the industry.

ConsDifficult to grow beyond the branch level. Branch seems to be very disconnected from HQ location. It seems as though the company is moving away from what made it so successful.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember where the company came from and attempt to direct the company back to that.

Finance/Economics Intern

Internship (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsExposure to the markets by having CNBC on the TV during work hours

ConsAll customer service, paper filing, shredding, getting coffee. This internship experience at the branch is probably one of the lowest positions in finance. The people I worked with were dicks and very unprofessional

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you were a full service brokerage firm maybe you can have more options to provide for clients and have a more dynamic work environment which research and other amenities.

Great place to work: treated well by management and great co-workers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Awesome co-workers and a safe/friendly workplace
    - They take care of you
    - Clear objectives from top to bottom
    - Fantastic benefits and great community presence

Cons- Initial compensation is a bit low but the benefits make up for it
    - Typical cube setting, not much liveliness to workplace

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. I never felt disenfranchised or looked down upon which led to a great atmosphere.

Worked for Scottrade? Contribute to the Community!

Scottrade Videos

Scottrade – Why Work for Us?

A Brief History of Scottrade Rodger Riney began our company more than 30 years ago with a focus on providing deep discounts along with customer satisfaction to the individual investor. Since then, we have dramatically… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Scottrade reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Scottrade CEO Rodger O. Riney. All 419 reviews posted anonymously by Scottrade employees.