Scottrade

Scottrade Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Scottrade Founder, President, and CEO Rodger O. Riney

Rodger O. Riney

Pros
  • The work/life balance is great--I never put in longer than an 8-hour day(in 40 reviews)

• It's also a great place for young college grads to get resume experience(in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Small office environment, lack of growth/promotion unless willing to move to St(in 25 reviews)

• no room for advancement unless you want to change your job title and keep doing the same thing(in 21 reviews)

Very friendly work place.

Branch Intern (Current Employee)

ProsYou have flexibility when going to school and the internship. The Investment consultants are willing to help you if you're having trouble with anything. Helps you learn about the financial services industry while going to school.

ConsThe company has changed from a regular discount brokerage, to one that is competing for sales. The business model has changed into gaining more business. It puts more pressure on everyone in the office and it gets harder to learn when the Investment Consultants are always busy with outbound calls, walk-ins, and appointments. Finally, there is little room to grow, it is harder to get a full time job because they want experienced people with series 7 and series 63 licenses and selling experience.

Work 70 hours a week to get consistently thrown under the bus.

Windows Server Administrative (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsGain large data center experience.
    Look great on a resume.

ConsZero work/life balance.
    Very low pay.
    When something goes wrong finger pointing skills are key to survival.
    Don't work here longer than a couple of years.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is a high stress, high work load, high amount of work hours, super political, job that will grind people into dust. I would suggest management do something about that but they are the ones who created and propagate it.

Amazing job for a recent grad after the internship!

Investment Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsGreat work/life balance, amazing learning resources, and good opportunities to make money. Management sets you up to succeed in any change they make. The only way to fail with this company is to slack off and think they'll pay you for nothing.

ConsIt's tough to think of many cons. There are constantly changing metrics to focus on as the company changes its focus. Policy and software changes take a few days to get used to.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the amazing work!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An ok place to start.

ProsFamily atmosphere. Solid work life balance. Great benefits and opportunities if you are willing to relocate to St. Louis.

ConsUnrealistic expectations. Low base pay, quotas that are not realistic.

Branch Manager

BOM (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsFinally being paid for effort

Consnone everything is great now

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Previous Employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA good work-life balance. Non threatening and non stressful working environment. Enjoyed my four years at Scottrade.

ConsCareer advancement is limited for employees with good education background and working experience. Middle-level managers are lack management skills and vision for the future.

I learned what it was like to work in a corporate environment, as well as use critical thinking to accomplish a task.

Service Center (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsManagement is friendly and knowledgeable.

ConsI only worked there a few months as an intern, so I don't have any cons

Busy, fun, lots of learning opportunities and nice benefits.

Back Office Analyst (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsBenefits, work environment, the company does a good job of valuing your contribution through workplace programs, good benefits, and bonuses, but...

ConsSalaries seem on the low side, but it's hard to compare due to the perks and benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, keep doing what you're doing, but try to get IT out of silos and cooperating better, both with each other and the business end of the company.

Scottrade

Financial Representative (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsScottrade treats their employees well compared to other companies that I've worked for.

ConsAdvancement can be limited if you are not interested in moving to St. Louis.

Circling the drain...

Software Developer (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsInitial on-boarding was painless. Fellow developers were generally great to work with.

ConsProject management at Scottrade is, quite frankly, a disaster. Projects are always late - this almost entirely due to incompetent project management. Scottrade has assembled a team of project managers (with one or two exceptions) who measure progress by the number of meetings they can schedule, who refuse to listen to anyone who tells them anything that doesn't fit in with their preconceived notions, and are exceedingly creative in coming up with ways to waste everyone's time. Other management and team leaders are unable or unwilling to address the obvious problems with Scottrade's project managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a talented group of software developers - they are NOT the reason projects are always late.

Worked for Scottrade? Contribute to the Community!