Scottrade

Scottrade Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Scottrade Founder, President, and CEO Rodger O. Riney

Rodger O. Riney

Pros:
  • "The work/life balance is great--I never put in longer than an 8-hour day"
    in 35 reviews
  • "It's also a great place for young college grads to get resume experience"
    in 30 reviews
Cons:
  • "Small office environment, lack of growth/promotion unless willing to move to St"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Not much room for advancement once you start in the branch"
    in 20 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Intern

I worked at Scottrade as an intern for more than a year

ProsEasy way to get through and good to have on resume. Slow but self-motivate places.

Consi didn't see much of room to grow, if you are young go somewhere else.

Branch Intern

I worked at Scottrade as an intern for more than a year

Prosgreat atmosphere; great team environment; down to earth people; all encouraging; high learning curve (good because you'll learn something everyday and not end up complacent); set work schedule (i was limited to 25hr/wk, so i just worked 8hr days, 3x a week)

Consemployees informed me that they use about 10% (if that) of knowledge from their series 66 license, which told me that it's far from I.B. or anything like wall st. bad boys (not that theyre on the same level to begin with, of course). not so much con to be honest bc as an intern, you learn almost everything a broker (now called investment consultant) does minus place trades, talk about certain topics (i.e. margin, options, sign-off on paperwork).

Advice to Senior Managementclose the bridge between branch and HQ (there's currently no room for growth since it's either be at the branch or end up in St. Louis for HQ positions)

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

branch intern and branch stockbroker

Stock Broker (Current Employee)

I have been working at Scottrade full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI spent 5 years with this company. I was lucky to work with a manager whom trained me and helped me learn about the industry. Good company to get some exposure and licenses. Not a lot of pressure. The people surrounding me kept me there as long as I was there ( my direct manager).

ConsHeadquarters does not have a feasible direction. The competitive advantage for this company is gone. Senior management is stuck in its old ways or chasing innovation/ copying what other firms do. When I pushed to grow with the company, I was shot down in regards to requesting additional licensure. I was in a two person branch so it would have been helpful to have licensure while the manager was out to not have to jump through hoops to do everything. I ended up leaving because I felt I was being over being over worked without any opportunity to move up in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementHopefully they have changed something or got rid of some people. Stop chasing away all the good employees and keeping the crap. Everyone that can leave will.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Has potential to become great or terrible

Software Developer (Current Employee)
Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Scottrade full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDecent salary, decent benefits, decent path for advancement. If you're willing to put up a big enough fight, your reasonable complaints will likely be heard. Access to the latest development tools and technologies at the individual level (via MSDN subscriptions). There seems to be an effort to modernize how IT (development in particular) is done at Scottrade, which could prove to be very effective if it continues to get support.

ConsPromotions can be delayed by many months for seemingly arbitrary reasons, one of which is apparently that there is a new visa-based hire in the works. Some decisions that are obvious at the developer level require a significant amount of convincing to bring higher-ups on-board. The latest development tools and technologies are often not used, or are not used to their full benefit. Some aspects of IT (especially mainframe development and production support) do not seem to be benefiting at all from modern technologies.

Great place to work if you have no aspiration.

Branch Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Scottrade full-time

ProsIf you have a good staff, working here can be enjoyable.

ConsStaff cut back so much that there is no flexibility, sub average wages = high turnover. Constantly changing job description, many redundant layers of management reminiscent of the movie Office Space, many are not qualified. Most people are looking for another job.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo actual forecasting, the reason the company got this bad is many branches were opened HOPING for a market turn around, instead of preparing for market conditions. The growth was forced, not organic, fueled by ego and not demand. Ever heard of David Pottruck?

Great internship experience

I have been working at Scottrade as an intern for more than a year

ProsIntroduced me to the financial services industry. There was regular performance feedback. The managers were nice and competent. Overall a very good experience.

ConsAs an intern, I had to do more administrative work than I would have liked, but the training programs definitely made up for it.

Great experience

Intern (Current Employee)
Tampa, FL

I have been working at Scottrade as an intern for more than a year

ProsGreat place to get experience about how the market works. If you are new to investing they help you learn what all the investment products are and how they work. Lots of opportunities for hands on learning with dealing with clients and how the office is run on a day to day basis.

ConsEven though compensation is getting better for full time employees, interns are not as lucky. Bonus structure leaves interns out and a lot of times hard work goes without merit.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on more programs for interns to be a part of the incentive program. One of reasons that the company started to be complacent was the lack of incentive to work harder for the brokers. Interns are an asset to the branches and the company so including them in the program in some way would create more incentives for the interns to go above and beyond their set duties.

Great place to work but mananager can make life hell

I worked at Scottrade part-time

ProsEasy work, very good work eithic taught in training, company really does wanna help people

ConsAwful branch politics, basically manager is the bully that gets to pick on everyone. Office's are usually 3-4 brokers. Upper managemenent wont give a sh*t about you but HR might help.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more communication with branches and branch managers

Company lacks integrity, at the highest leadership level.

Branch Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Scottrade full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIt was a job for several years but I could always see there was no commitment from the company. Benefits were average for industry. I wish there was something positive to say about this company--just deception.

ConsRecently added management contends that they came to Scottrade for the corporate culture however we have been trained into the corporate culture of TD Ameritrade, in fact the big question recently has been when are we changing the sign on the wall to reflect the new name after the acquisition. Does middle management think they have a future with the "restructure"? You are unnecessary now and getting more so each day. This seems to be a great place for interns but this company lost its way with decades of incompetent ownership/leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee you out in the job market. Recognize now that you will not be taking any marketable skills or level of success with you as your position at Scottrade carried little more than a title, Mr./Mrs regional, jr vice, sr vice, president of the assistants to the associates, or whatever. Cheers!

Great place to work

I have been working at Scottrade as an intern

ProsCare about your skills and knowledge

ConsNeed to relocate to excel

Worked for Scottrade? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Scottrade reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Scottrade CEO Rodger O. Riney. All 394 reviews posted anonymously by Scottrade employees.