Scottrade

www.scottrade.com

Scottrade Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros
  • The work/life balance is great--I never put in longer than an 8-hour day(in 40 reviews)

• It's also a great place for young college grads to get resume experience(in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Small office environment, lack of growth/promotion unless willing to move to St(in 25 reviews)

• no room for advancement unless you want to change your job title and keep doing the same thing(in 21 reviews)

Scottrade Intern Review

Intern (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsThe pay is good for internship. Not a stressful job at all. Easily able to obtain time off when needed. A lot of learning available through internal courses. Everyone I've come in contact with whether it be brokers or managers, has been really nice and helpful. A lot of promotion from within. Job security is good.

ConsNew programs can be difficult to learn. Some procedures aren't clearly defined, which can create confusion.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better promotions to obtain new customers.

Best place to work?

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsThere's never been a layoff - job security.
    Holidays and vacation days are good.
    The cafe has a top notch chef, and the food is great, thank goodness since we don't get a lunch hour and leaving the building to get take out is frowned upon.
    People are happy and friendly.

ConsI don't view the bonus as extra income, just one way for them to hold on to my salary as long as possible. With the economy.....my bonus has never been lower, yet they keep hiring which dilutes the bonus pool. The 401K match is only made once a year (my previous companies matched with every paycheck), it's just another example of delayed compensation. Nepotism and favoritism are huge problems...well for those of us not on the "favorites" list.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the "bonus" and pay a competitive salary. Many of the reviews I read said how slow the pace is. I see people slacking off all day. Get rid of the slackers!! And the people on the take. I see so much abuse - people doing what they want and spending company money for their personal benefit. Doesn't anybody care that the economy is affecting us too???

Great place to learn about the financial industry

Intern (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsFlexible scheduling, competitive pay, great place to learn

ConsCustomers are rude, interns are used on the front lines

Advice to Senior ManagementBranch manager had not gone to school for finance

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best Company To Work For. Really?

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsScottrade is a great example of entrepreneurism and captialism in America
    Scottrade was started by Rodger Riney in the 1980 and has grown into a great success story
    Scottrade is truly focused on making the best product available to their retail customers
    Scottrade really knows how to throw a party and plan events for its employees
    Scottrade is an excellent corporate citizen as demonstrated by its support of Cancer, Alzehiemer, and United Way
    Scottrade has a great on-boarding program for new hires

ConsScottrade's policy for promotion, advancement and fair treatment in the workplace is elusive for the average employee; it depends if you fall into the "favorite" group
    Executive, Senior, middle management and Supervisors are allowed to berat their employees in front of others and alone (no profanity used), blame and bully their employees
    The average employee has no voice with management or HR if a dispute/disagreement arises unless you are a "favorite"
    Favoritism is a huge factor on who receives information
    Three months is enough time to determine if you will fall into the "favorite" group or not. If you are deemed a favorite, Congratulations!
    If you are told your job performance is bad this could really mean "we do not want you here"; start looking for other opportunities because management will ensure your performance is bad, even if
    they have to fudge a little on the details.
    It is not uncommon for professionals to be micro-managed to the point of being treated like a clerical person unless you are a "favorite"

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease consider treating ALL employees fairly and with mutual respect, your employees are comitted to Scottrade's success. Open respectful communication is a key success factor as Scottrade continues to meet and exceed the needs of its customers.

Limited room for advancement.

Stock Broker (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsBranch offices are a very convenient location to work at.

ConsBrokers are very limited in what they can actually do for clients. You can at times feel worthless as you watch clients investment in many assortments of penny stocks. Since you get to make investment recommendations, it can be very difficult to describe the advantages of having a Scottrade account. Also, unless you plan on becoming a branch manager, there is very little room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the business from the top down. Begin offering advice and/or portfolio tools for clients.

Scottrade Branch Intern

Stockbroker Intern (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsThis is a great internship to get your feet wet and learn about the brokerage industry. Scottrade is flexible with hours during school. I recomend this internship while being a full time student.

ConsThe upside potential in this company is limited unless you are willing to relocate to St. louis. If you are looking for a job that is not too challengeing Scottrade is perfect.

Advice to Senior ManagementI enjoy working at Scottrade. The only thing that is holding me back from wanting to be a full time employee is pay. Being in this industry I believe there is greater upside on pay at other companies.

Working at Scottrade

Branch Intern (Current Employee) Delafield, WI

ProsThe ability to just keep on moving up the latter once you have the right amount of education under your belt.

ConsThe work that is given to me i feel as though it is below what my knowledge level is once i find out the true procedures.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you have the oppertunity to et a job here i would strongly suggest it unless you can get ALOT more money somewhere else.

Great place to get licensed for free and get your foot in the Financial Services world

Stockbroker (Former Employee) Dayton, OH

ProsCompany match 401k (up to 50% of your contributions)
    Low Stress
    No quotas or minimum production requirements
    Potential to move to Branch Management if you are willing to relocate
    Also opportunities to advance in corporate

ConsSlow work pace, can get boring
    Pay is pretty low for the amount of knowledge you have and the situation you are required to handle
    Bonuses keep getting lower and lower

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure the department reps in the home office realize they are on the same team as us in branchland and we are their customers.

good

Developer (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsCompany is very stable
    Quaterly Bonus.

ConsNo Flex Hours
    Market Dependancy
    No Flex Hours
    Market Dependancy

Advice to Senior Management................

Great Place to Work

Intern (Current Employee) Lincoln, NE

ProsExcellent atmosphere and work environment, fair and transparent workplace, growing business with opportunity for full-time employment and advancement. Overall, I would recommend Scottrade to anyone interested in Investments, Brokerages, or the Finance Industry.

ConsCan be a lack of challenges in the workplace. Limited competition and incentive to attain business compared to most brokerages. At times the working day can be slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease employee incentive to gain business.

Worked for Scottrade? Contribute to the Community!