Scottrade Reviews

Reset
3.4
Scottrade Founder, President, and CEO Rodger O. Riney
Rodger O. Riney

Pros
  • Work life balance is still good (in 51 reviews)

• Used to be a great place to work (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much room for advancement once you start in the branch (in 23 reviews)

• The only way to move up is to move to St (in 20 reviews)

1. Scottrade Intern Review

Current Employee - Intern in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Intern in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

The pay is good for internship. Not a stressful job at all. Easily able to obtain time off when needed. A lot of learning available through internal courses. Everyone I've come in contact with whether it be brokers or managers, has been really nice and helpful. A lot of promotion from within. Job security is good.

Cons

New programs can be difficult to learn. Some procedures aren't clearly defined, which can create confusion.

Advice to Management

Provide better promotions to obtain new customers.

Best place to work?

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

There's never been a layoff - job security. Holidays and vacation days are good. The cafe has a top notch chef, and the food is great, thank goodness since we don't get a lunch hour and leaving the building to get take out is frowned upon. People are happy and friendly.

Cons

I don't view the bonus as extra income, just one way for them to hold on to my salary as long as possible. With the economy.....my bonus has never been lower, yet they keep hiring which dilutes the bonus pool. The 401K match is only made once a year (my previous companies matched with every paycheck), it's just another example of delayed compensation. Nepotism and favoritism are huge problems...well for those of us not on the "favorites" list.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the "bonus" and pay a competitive salary. Many of the reviews I read said how slow the pace is. I see people slacking off all day. Get rid of the slackers!! And the people on the take. I see so much abuse - people doing what they want and spending company money for their personal benefit. Doesn't anybody care that the economy is affecting us too???

3. Great place to learn about the financial industry

Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Scottrade

Pros

Flexible scheduling, competitive pay, great place to learn

Cons

Customers are rude, interns are used on the front lines

Advice to Management

Branch manager had not gone to school for finance

Best Company To Work For. Really?

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

Scottrade is a great example of entrepreneurism and captialism in America Scottrade was started by Rodger Riney in the 1980 and has grown into a great success story Scottrade is truly focused on making the best product available to their retail customers Scottrade really knows how to throw a party and plan events for its employees Scottrade is an excellent corporate citizen as demonstrated by its support of Cancer, Alzehiemer, and United Way Scottrade has a great on-boarding program for new hires

Cons

Scottrade's policy for promotion, advancement and fair treatment in the workplace is elusive for the average employee; it depends if you fall into the "favorite" group Executive, Senior, middle management and Supervisors are allowed to berat their employees in front of others and alone (no profanity used), blame and bully their employees The average employee has no voice with management or HR if a dispute/disagreement arises unless you are a "favorite" Favoritism is a huge factor on who receives information Three months is enough time to determine if you will fall into the "favorite" group or not. If you are deemed a favorite, Congratulations! If you are told your job performance is bad this could really mean "we do not want you here"; start looking for other opportunities because management will ensure your performance is bad, even if they have to fudge a little on the details. It is not uncommon for professionals to be micro-managed to the point of being treated like a clerical person unless you are a "favorite"

Advice to Management

Please consider treating ALL employees fairly and with mutual respect, your employees are comitted to Scottrade's success. Open respectful communication is a key success factor as Scottrade continues to meet and exceed the needs of its customers.

Limited room for advancement.

Current Employee - Stock Broker in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Stock Broker in Houston, TX

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

Branch offices are a very convenient location to work at.

Cons

Brokers are very limited in what they can actually do for clients. You can at times feel worthless as you watch clients investment in many assortments of penny stocks. Since you get to make investment recommendations, it can be very difficult to describe the advantages of having a Scottrade account. Also, unless you plan on becoming a branch manager, there is very little room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Change the business from the top down. Begin offering advice and/or portfolio tools for clients.

7. Scottrade Branch Intern

Current Employee - Stockbroker Intern in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Stockbroker Intern in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

This is a great internship to get your feet wet and learn about the brokerage industry. Scottrade is flexible with hours during school. I recomend this internship while being a full time student.

Cons

The upside potential in this company is limited unless you are willing to relocate to St. louis. If you are looking for a job that is not too challengeing Scottrade is perfect.

Advice to Management

I enjoy working at Scottrade. The only thing that is holding me back from wanting to be a full time employee is pay. Being in this industry I believe there is greater upside on pay at other companies.

8. Working at Scottrade

Current Employee - Branch Intern in Delafield, WI
    Current Employee - Branch Intern in Delafield, WI

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

The ability to just keep on moving up the latter once you have the right amount of education under your belt.

Cons

The work that is given to me i feel as though it is below what my knowledge level is once i find out the true procedures.

Advice to Management

If you have the oppertunity to et a job here i would strongly suggest it unless you can get ALOT more money somewhere else.

9. Great place to get licensed for free and get your foot in the Financial Services world

Former Employee - Stockbroker in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Stockbroker in Dayton, OH

I worked at Scottrade

Pros

Company match 401k (up to 50% of your contributions) Low Stress No quotas or minimum production requirements Potential to move to Branch Management if you are willing to relocate Also opportunities to advance in corporate

Cons

Slow work pace, can get boring Pay is pretty low for the amount of knowledge you have and the situation you are required to handle Bonuses keep getting lower and lower

Advice to Management

Make sure the department reps in the home office realize they are on the same team as us in branchland and we are their customers.

good

Current Employee - Developer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Developer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

Company is very stable Quaterly Bonus.

Cons

No Flex Hours Market Dependancy No Flex Hours Market Dependancy

Advice to Management

................

11. "Overrall, a less than stellar internship opportunity."

Former Employee - Scottrade- Intern in Fort Lee, NJ
    Former Employee - Scottrade- Intern in Fort Lee, NJ

I worked at Scottrade

Pros

-Paid Internship -Flexible with schedule -Work is relatively easy -Manager is excellent at teaching certain skills that can translate into your professional career.

Cons

- Very mundane tasks - Can spend hours with nothing to do - NO PARKING ( Interns and Branch associates must PAY for their parking in Fort Lee) I wish I would have looked into that before leaving a good position I had to pursue this internship. My suggestion would be to not work at the Fort Lee branch if you want to conserve the cash. - Manager can be very rude and often yells to all employees. Can be intimidating, and stressful.

Advice to Management

Pay for the parking. Also, create a career path for all interns that gives them a more direct track into becoming an employee with Scottrade. It would enhance the overall intern experience and make a much more valuable learning experience.

RSS Feed </> Embed