Scottrade

www.scottrade.com

Scottrade Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
3.7

Scottrade Founder, President, and CEO Rodger O. Riney
Rodger O. Riney

Pros
  • They do allow for a work/life balance that was much better than my previous employer (in 51 reviews)

• It's also a great place for young college grads to get resume experience (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • no room for advancement unless you want to change your job title and keep doing the same thing (in 23 reviews)

• Politics, no room for growth - you're either a broker or a branch manager unless you want to move to St (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Scottrade Intern Review

Current Employee - Intern in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Intern in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

The pay is good for internship. Not a stressful job at all. Easily able to obtain time off when needed. A lot of learning available through internal courses. Everyone I've come in contact with whether it be brokers or managers, has been really nice and helpful. A lot of promotion from within. Job security is good.

Cons

New programs can be difficult to learn. Some procedures aren't clearly defined, which can create confusion.

Provide better promotions to obtain new customers.

Best place to work?

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

There's never been a layoff - job security.
    Holidays and vacation days are good.
    The cafe has a top notch chef, and the food is great, thank goodness since we don't get a lunch hour and leaving the building to get take out is frowned upon.
    People are happy and friendly.

Cons

I don't view the bonus as extra income, just one way for them to hold on to my salary as long as possible. With the economy.....my bonus has never been lower, yet they keep hiring which dilutes the bonus pool. The 401K match is only made once a year (my previous companies matched with every paycheck), it's just another example of delayed compensation. Nepotism and favoritism are huge problems...well for those of us not on the "favorites" list.

Get rid of the "bonus" and pay a competitive salary. Many of the reviews I read said how slow the pace is. I see people slacking off all day. Get rid of the slackers!! And the people on the take. I see so much abuse - people doing what they want and spending company money for their personal benefit. Doesn't anybody care that the economy is affecting us too???

Great place to learn about the financial industry

Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Scottrade

Pros

Flexible scheduling, competitive pay, great place to learn

Cons

Customers are rude, interns are used on the front lines

Branch manager had not gone to school for finance

Best Company To Work For. Really?

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

Scottrade is a great example of entrepreneurism and captialism in America
    Scottrade was started by Rodger Riney in the 1980 and has grown into a great success story
    Scottrade is truly focused on making the best product available to their retail customers
    Scottrade really knows how to throw a party and plan events for its employees
    Scottrade is an excellent corporate citizen as demonstrated by its support of Cancer, Alzehiemer, and United Way
    Scottrade has a great on-boarding program for new hires

Cons

Scottrade's policy for promotion, advancement and fair treatment in the workplace is elusive for the average employee; it depends if you fall into the "favorite" group
    Executive, Senior, middle management and Supervisors are allowed to berat their employees in front of others and alone (no profanity used), blame and bully their employees
    The average employee has no voice with management or HR if a dispute/disagreement arises unless you are a "favorite"
    Favoritism is a huge factor on who receives information
    Three months is enough time to determine if you will fall into the "favorite" group or not. If you are deemed a favorite, Congratulations!
    If you are told your job performance is bad this could really mean "we do not want you here"; start looking for other opportunities because management will ensure your performance is bad, even if
    they have to fudge a little on the details.
    It is not uncommon for professionals to be micro-managed to the point of being treated like a clerical person unless you are a "favorite"

Please consider treating ALL employees fairly and with mutual respect, your employees are comitted to Scottrade's success. Open respectful communication is a key success factor as Scottrade continues to meet and exceed the needs of its customers.

Limited room for advancement.

Current Employee - Stock Broker in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Stock Broker in Houston, TX

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

Branch offices are a very convenient location to work at.

Cons

Brokers are very limited in what they can actually do for clients. You can at times feel worthless as you watch clients investment in many assortments of penny stocks. Since you get to make investment recommendations, it can be very difficult to describe the advantages of having a Scottrade account. Also, unless you plan on becoming a branch manager, there is very little room for advancement.

Change the business from the top down. Begin offering advice and/or portfolio tools for clients.

Scottrade Branch Intern

Current Employee - Stockbroker Intern in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Stockbroker Intern in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

This is a great internship to get your feet wet and learn about the brokerage industry. Scottrade is flexible with hours during school. I recomend this internship while being a full time student.

Cons

The upside potential in this company is limited unless you are willing to relocate to St. louis. If you are looking for a job that is not too challengeing Scottrade is perfect.

I enjoy working at Scottrade. The only thing that is holding me back from wanting to be a full time employee is pay. Being in this industry I believe there is greater upside on pay at other companies.

Working at Scottrade

Current Employee - Branch Intern in Delafield, WI
    Current Employee - Branch Intern in Delafield, WI

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

The ability to just keep on moving up the latter once you have the right amount of education under your belt.

Cons

The work that is given to me i feel as though it is below what my knowledge level is once i find out the true procedures.

If you have the oppertunity to et a job here i would strongly suggest it unless you can get ALOT more money somewhere else.

Great place to get licensed for free and get your foot in the Financial Services world

Former Employee - Stockbroker in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Stockbroker in Dayton, OH

I worked at Scottrade

Pros

Company match 401k (up to 50% of your contributions)
    Low Stress
    No quotas or minimum production requirements
    Potential to move to Branch Management if you are willing to relocate
    Also opportunities to advance in corporate

Cons

Slow work pace, can get boring
    Pay is pretty low for the amount of knowledge you have and the situation you are required to handle
    Bonuses keep getting lower and lower

Make sure the department reps in the home office realize they are on the same team as us in branchland and we are their customers.

good

Current Employee - Developer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Developer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

Company is very stable
    Quaterly Bonus.

Cons

No Flex Hours
    Market Dependancy
    No Flex Hours
    Market Dependancy

................

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Intern in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Intern in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

Excellent atmosphere and work environment, fair and transparent workplace, growing business with opportunity for full-time employment and advancement. Overall, I would recommend Scottrade to anyone interested in Investments, Brokerages, or the Finance Industry.

Cons

Can be a lack of challenges in the workplace. Limited competition and incentive to attain business compared to most brokerages. At times the working day can be slow.

Increase employee incentive to gain business.