Scottrade

Updated March 4, 2015
2.8

Scottrade Founder, President, and CEO Rodger O. Riney
Rodger O. Riney

Pros
  • They do allow for a work/life balance that was much better than my previous employer (in 51 reviews)

• It's also a great place for young college grads to get resume experience (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • no room for advancement unless you want to change your job title and keep doing the same thing (in 23 reviews)

• Politics, no room for growth - you're either a broker or a branch manager unless you want to move to St (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Great leadership, great team!

Current Contractor - IT Project Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Contractor - IT Project Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Scottrade as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Working in IT, I have seen example after example of leadership removing roadblocks and paving the way for successful software development.

In my role, I have a significant level of autonomy, and my management has made it clear that they are there to provide my team whatever it can to make our jobs easier.

The entire IT organization takes great effort to celebrate success.

Cons

The company is in the middle of a cultural shift regarding software development. They are adopting industry best practices in many areas, but are holding on to antiquated methodologies for unknown reasons.

Feb 27, 2015Social Recruiting Team

We appreciate your review and are happy to hear your time with Scottrade has been rewarding.

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Software Developer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Enjoyed working in IT at Scottrade. Other team members were technically proficient and easy to work with, promoting a great work environment. Flexible hours and work from home opportunities provided a good work-life balance. Great benefits.

Cons

We were heavily reliant on third-party vendors, which could be difficult to interact with and made projects/troubleshooting very challenging sometimes.

Continue to promote a strong corporate culture and stay focused on providing a great work environment for all employees.

Feb 23, 2015Social Recruiting Team

We are happy to hear you have had an enjoyable experience at Scottrade and have taken advantage of the work/life balance we offer. We will pass along your feedback about third-party vendors to IT ... More

Excellent place to work

I have been working at Scottrade (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work life balance is excellent. Everyone is very respectful of personal time. Also coworkers are understanding if associates ever need to take time off.

Cons

Career mapping is somewhat poor at this firm. The attention paid to career success and promotions is sometimes less than desired.

Feb 23, 2015Social Recruiting Team

We’re happy to hear you are enjoying the work/life balance Scottrade offers. We encourage you to discuss future career opportunities with your manager and/or Human Resources, who may be able to help ... More

Branch Intern-Great experience

Former Intern - Branch Intern
    Former Intern - Branch Intern

I worked at Scottrade as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The intern program in my time there was very beneficial to my growth as a professional. You certainly learn the best customer service skills you can imagine and the tight knit atmosphere of a small branch helps you acclimate quickly in a steep learning curve setting.

Cons

The main con is that when you run out of training and know everything you can about being an intern, there is not much more room for advancement until you gain your broker license. Additionally, if you do not think you can handle clients who are concerned about their money (as they should be) then this is not the internship for you.

Jan 30, 2015Social Recruiting Team

Thanks for your review. We are happy to hear your internship was beneficial and wish you success in your future career.

A wonderful place to work

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Scottrade as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The culture of the company is very strong. The people that work at Scottrade are kind, polite, helpful, encouraging, and inclusive. I really enjoy coming into work everyday.

Cons

I think the company is experiencing some growing pains, but handling it well.

Jan 30, 2015Social Recruiting Team

We appreciate your review and are happy to hear you’re enjoying your internship with Scottrade.

Slightly behind the times

Current Employee - Investment Consultant
    Current Employee - Investment Consultant

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

Great benefits, good work-life balance

Cons

Lack of innovation, too conservative to allow employees to do their jobs

Move into the 21st century and realize that you cannot be an serious asset-gathering company when the only means to send personalized information to clients is using U.S. mail or a fax machine.

Jan 30, 2015Social Recruiting Team

Thank you for sharing your comments. We are continually evaluating tools and technologies to better meet the needs of our clients.

The best two years of my college career.

Former Intern - Branch Intern in Littleton, CO
    Former Intern - Branch Intern in Littleton, CO

I worked at Scottrade as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

My financial services aptitude was significantly greater after I left. You can choose your own schedule to accommodate things like sports, and classes. My manager never told me I couldn't go on a summer vacation, or have a day off if I had to travel for lacrosse games. And they actively help you to improve upon customer service. Even though you're just an intern, everyone I worked with made me feel that I was playing a very important role - which you are. I was always invited out for social events (baseball games, dinners, etc).

Cons

Limitations on what you can discuss with clients, even if you're able to deliver correct answers.

Trust capable interns to handle clients on their own, and involve a licensed employee to get involved when necessary.

Jan 8, 2015Social Recruiting Team

We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear you enjoyed your time at Scottrade. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Good company to work for

Current Employee - IT Support
    Current Employee - IT Support

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

In spite of what some of the reviewers say, I think the pay is excellent. Benefits and bonus package are very good. Time off package is better than average, vacation and sick hours are added up front rather than accumulated throughout the year. Holidays are the same as the stock market, so we get more than the standard 6 holidays.

I work on the IT side, so my experience may be different than people who work in the branch offices and other people who work on the trading side. In IT I find people are supportive and there is a strong team attitude. It's ALWAYS "how can I help" and NEVER "It's not my problem". We work TOGETHER to solve problems. I've been in IT for longer than I care to admit, and I find the supportive team environment very refreshing.

Company offers paid training for computer classes.

Many IT people are allowed one work-from-home day during the week.

Cons

There are on-call responsibilities, and the frequency varies by team. For most of us, on-call is shared, one-week at a time, 4-8 weeks between on-calls. Since most of the important activity occurs during market hours, the proverbial 2AM phone calls are infrequent.

There is an expectation of some after-hours work which is shared by members of the team. Most of the after hours work can be done remotely.

Jan 8, 2015Social Recruiting Team

Thanks for your review. It’s good to hear your experiences are aligned with our values of teamwork, open communication, and a good work-life balance.

Great company

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Management that cares for its employees. A very successful career path if you chose it. Scottrade is a family not a corporation.

Cons

Challenges to working here is always playing from behind on technology. However this is being addressed diligently and should dissipate shortly.

Continue to be a family and not a corporation. That's another advantage we have over the rest.

Dec 22, 2014Social Recruiting Team

Thanks for your dedication over the last 10+ years. We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review.

The Culture at Scottrade is FANTASTIC!

Current Employee - Branch
    Current Employee - Branch

I have been working at Scottrade full-time

Pros

I've worked at Scott trade for a fair amount of time.... I'm going to leave it at that because I don't believe that these postings are truly anonymous.... I'm actually a little anxious about posting this because I really don't think these are anonymous but I will do it anyway...

When you ask people to describe the Scottrade culture several things come up. You hear about teamwork you hear about come camaraderie you hear about the general desire to help people succeed. We have not lost any of this. In fact the majority would say the bond that we have with each other has gotten stronger because of the change were going through. Going from services to sales is very challenging....

80-90% of people here are excited about where we are at. They are happy with the bonuses and they are happy about helping people meet financial goals. They are using their financial experiences and education in a positive way. Many would say that this is a profession we should be very proud about. In fact most people would say this.

We have some leadership that have a sales background and know what they are doing which is great ... we have older leadership that don't have a sales background which some people complain about but at least they are learning and they are trying from the people that do have the experience. I really think we should give everybody a break here because this is a monumental task that we are facing... We are trying to keep everybody on the bus but to do that we have to make accommodations. Even with this being the case I think overall we are doing a fantastic job.

Cons

There are a few people that came to this firm that did not want to sell, that failed at sales and now they are here. They have nowhere else to go after this... Every other major brokerage firm has gone through the service to sales transition and we are the last resort... This is been a topic that many people have discussed for several months and it's 100% spot on... I would say that 90% of the company is on board, 10% is not. But with this being the case, I feel for the remaining 10% or so and I want to help these people. As a team we need to help these people. This is the Scottrade way.

Someone had made mention in the previous post that these people had cushy jobs as paper pushers and secretaries. Although the assessment may be somewhat correct, you have to take into consideration that many of these people have no other place to go and comments like that don't help the evolution of our firm... I would advise instead that we reach out to these people that are disgruntled and don't want change and offer help love and support.. If they pushback that's fine give it some more time and try again. We cannot and should not give up on them. We need them. This is the Scottrade way. We cannot ever change this..

To all disgruntled associates-
    Please don't give up. Reach out to others and ask for help. We want you, we need you in we have to make this work.

Stay the course. Keep doing it the Scottrade way. Culture has not changed and should not ever change.

Dec 22, 2014Social Recruiting Team

We appreciate your feedback and can assure you these reviews are anonymous. As you’ve described, our core values are very important to our company culture. Although our services are evolving, we ... More