Scottrade

Updated November 25, 2014
2.8

Scottrade Founder, President, and CEO Rodger O. Riney
Rodger O. Riney

Pros
  • The work/life balance is great--I never put in longer than an 8-hour day (in 49 reviews)

• It's also a great place for young college grads to get resume experience (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much room for advancement once you start in the branch (in 22 reviews)

• Ceiling to your growth unless you move to St Louis (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

A great place to work

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is enhancing its offering to help more clients

Cons

Some resistance from skeptical employees

Continue on this journey of change to help s wider audience

Great Company

Current Employee - Branch Intern in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Branch Intern in Houston, TX

I have been working at Scottrade as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

You remain hired until you fire yourself.

Cons

Very low salary compared to competitors.

Great Experience

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

I thought the jobs was awesome

Cons

I thought the job was awesome

Scottrade is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Investment Consultant
    Current Employee - Investment Consultant

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people and the culture at Scottrade are fantastic. They really want to help clients find solutions to fit their financial needs which is hard to find in this business. Management really seems to care about their employees and support them even as the company transitions to a more sales and advice oriented environment. It seems like one big family at the corporate offices.

Cons

The firm is adapting to compete with other companies in the industry and the changes are obviously difficult, but it seems like they are trying give employees opportunities and the tools necessary to be successful.

Continue to get input from the employees on the front lines that have the most communication with the clients and use the information as you transition to a more sales and advice oriented firm.

1 year branch employee

Current Employee - Full Time Employee
    Current Employee - Full Time Employee

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (more than an year)

Pros

After the first year I can see why employees stay with Scottrade so long. Scottrade has a solid pay structure for bonuses and salary. Weekends off! Good health care benefits when many firms are dropping them. No travel. Family feel atmosphere. Honest unbiased help for clients. Rodger is a caring owner.

Cons

I have worked at many firms and none are perfect. Scottrade will have to spend some bucks on software & IT to catch up with competitors. Some times there are industry assigned training courses that need to be done while we are wanting to help clients.

No time clocks for all

Amazing Opportunities

Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

CEO that really cares about his associates. Environment where clients are put first. Career where you can make a difference in someone's life. Managing a branch is like owning your own business but without risking capital. Best career opportunities I had.

Cons

Small percentage of associates that are not supportive of recent changes. Puts a drain on all of the associates that are engaged.

Stay the course; helping clients and giving associates a more fulfilling job experience

**Great company to be part of that is
    Growing and has future career growth opportunities**

Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Scottrade is a great company that is going through positive changes and growing as a firm. When there is change there are always challenges. With the current changes not everyone is agreeing but the reality is that now the company can help their clients reach their financial goals and clients can also get help with their core investments and retirement. There is an incentive for branch asocciates to get a bonus by helping clients. what Is bad about that? I don't understand why some employees are not happy if they have an opportunity to increase their salary and make
    More money. The bonus Is based on gathering assets and offering account management for those clients that like to delegate to a professional to invest their money. The company also has great tools to help clients that want to be self directed. If You like to help others and having future career growth opportunities then this is a great place to be!

Cons

Multiple systems. Back office associates seem to not be willing to help branch associates when they need help with client questions. We should all be working as a team.

Multiple systems to learn that they should simplify. Compass system should be changed to salesforce as this will save a lot of the time spent going through mutiple clicks to log a contact. Checks and wires should be allowed to be processed online by the client or back office as this would allow associates have more time to focus on reaching out to more clients. Also coaching
    back office associates work as a team with branches. Having an FOA is helpful for those branches that have high volume of service.

Scottrade rocks!!

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

Fast growing financial sales firm with tons of upside!! Great founder in Rodger Riney, great sales training program, and fantastic culture!!

Cons

Scottrade is the last firm to make the switch from service to sales which is good and bad. Good because the opportunities are plentiful, but bad because this is the last resort for over-paid and under-skilled brokers that either failed at sales, suck at sales, or most likely both. These brokers are killing the culture with their crying and complaining and it's sad to see. They seem to know this is their last resort so I can understand why they are fighting so hard to hang on to the past.

Let's keep it up!!

Great place to work

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A CEO who really cares

Cons

Too many layers of management

People are uneasy because new management brought all their own people instead of promoting within

It is what you make of it

Current Employee - Investment Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Investment Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are a lot of "Negative Nancy's" and I will keep it short but sweet. You can finish all of your daily work along with your outbound dials in less than 2 hours if you work hard. I have worked with the company 6+ years as an IC and I make 100k+ total compensation. Do not believe all the negative press on this site. If you want to be lazy, look for a different industry or stop complaining. You can triple the minimum job expectations if you stay off the internet and your smart phone all day and actually do your job. DRIVE and MOTIVATION = SUCCESS! If you want to be a lazy stooge, become a cashier.

Cons

We do not get paid as much as competitors, but we do not work nearly as hard.

Keep giving us the opportunity to work harder and make more money.