Scottrade Reviews

Updated September 22, 2014
2.8

Scottrade Founder, President, and CEO Rodger O. Riney
Rodger O. Riney

Pros
  • The work/life balance is great--I never put in longer than an 8-hour day (in 40 reviews)

• It's also a great place for young college grads to get resume experience (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Small office environment, lack of growth/promotion unless willing to move to St (in 25 reviews)

• no room for advancement unless you want to change your job title and keep doing the same thing (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Difficult

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

My branch manager is an awesome guy that has helped me be a better broker and genuinely cares about my development. Pay has gotten better somewhat.

Cons

Middle management generally useless and have no idea what goes on in the branch. Company now wants us to focus on selling the company and guidance solutions on top of all of the incoming calls and walk-ins. Everything that a client needs is effectively done by the branch. Everything you do has to be documented or it is assumed by your regional manger that you are doing nothing. Regional managers have nothing to offer other than complaints. Computers systems are very slow. We have to enhance our computer systems to match the growth in clientele. Everything done Halfway. If you spend time with a client without additional money to bring in, whether he has $500 or $5 mil it is essentially wasted time from the upper
    Management standpoint. This is going to eventually lead to a lot of poor service and a loss of business. The support departments in STL have problems communicating with the branch. You can ask a yes or no question in an email and the answer will be "maybe". Support departments cannot contact the clientele without irritating them.

Figure out a way to maintain the morals of Scottrade and grow like Schwab or BAC. TD Ameritrade is not the stellar industry model you think it is. Consider a bonus on retaining assets.

A company that respects and takes care of it's employees.

Former Employee - Stockbroker
    Former Employee - Stockbroker

I worked at Scottrade full-time for more than a year

Pros

Scottrade is truly a company that looks out for it's employees. I think this view comes down from the top so as long as Roger is around I would think it will continue to be a good company to work for.

Cons

If you are working in a branch your opportunity for advancement is limited. The pay is somewhat limited but that is changing because the branch offices are moving more into sales.

Management is great, I just hope they don't try and change themselves to much in the next couple of years. There are few companies that have such high values and I would hate to see this go away.

Amazing job for a recent grad after the internship!

Current Employee - Investment Consultant
    Current Employee - Investment Consultant

I have been working at Scottrade full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work/life balance, amazing learning resources, and good opportunities to make money. Management sets you up to succeed in any change they make. The only way to fail with this company is to slack off and think they'll pay you for nothing.

Cons

It's tough to think of many cons. There are constantly changing metrics to focus on as the company changes its focus. Policy and software changes take a few days to get used to.

Keep up the amazing work!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I learned what it was like to work in a corporate environment, as well as use critical thinking to accomplish a task.

Current Employee - Service Center  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Service Center in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Scottrade as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Management is friendly and knowledgeable.

Cons

I only worked there a few months as an intern, so I don't have any cons

Busy, fun, lots of learning opportunities and nice benefits.

Current Employee - Back Office Analyst  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Back Office Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Scottrade full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, work environment, the company does a good job of valuing your contribution through workplace programs, good benefits, and bonuses, but...

Cons

Salaries seem on the low side, but it's hard to compare due to the perks and benefits.

None, keep doing what you're doing, but try to get IT out of silos and cooperating better, both with each other and the business end of the company.

Scottrade is a great company!

Current Employee - Financial Service Representative  in  Saint-Louis (Reunion)
    Current Employee - Financial Service Representative in Saint-Louis (Reunion)

I have been working at Scottrade full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They encourage you to learn and recognize your efforts.

Cons

They don't pay as well as others. The Service Center is becoming to structured.

It was a great learning experience

I worked at Scottrade

Pros

It is one of the best places to work. Employee perks, prizes, gifts are great bonus. There is room for advancement if you are willing to move to other locations in the country.

Cons

Small branch size, there may be more coworkers at the corporate level but in branches there are only 2-5.

Don't let the small branch size hinder employees from advancement.

Great place to gain experience!

Former Employee - Brokerage Intern  in  Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Brokerage Intern in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Scottrade as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Great branch manager, laid back atmosphere, great training program

Cons

Interns do not get much responsibility due to regulations

Keep up the great work

Branch Intern

I worked at Scottrade as an intern for more than a year

Pros

great atmosphere; great team environment; down to earth people; all encouraging; high learning curve (good because you'll learn something everyday and not end up complacent); set work schedule (i was limited to 25hr/wk, so i just worked 8hr days, 3x a week)

Cons

employees informed me that they use about 10% (if that) of knowledge from their series 66 license, which told me that it's far from I.B. or anything like wall st. bad boys (not that theyre on the same level to begin with, of course). not so much con to be honest bc as an intern, you learn almost everything a broker (now called investment consultant) does minus place trades, talk about certain topics (i.e. margin, options, sign-off on paperwork).

close the bridge between branch and HQ (there's currently no room for growth since it's either be at the branch or end up in St. Louis for HQ positions)

Great internship experience

I have been working at Scottrade as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Introduced me to the financial services industry. There was regular performance feedback. The managers were nice and competent. Overall a very good experience.

Cons

As an intern, I had to do more administrative work than I would have liked, but the training programs definitely made up for it.

Worked for Scottrade? Contribute to the Community!