Scottrade

Updated February 21, 2015
2.8

Scottrade Founder, President, and CEO Rodger O. Riney
Rodger O. Riney

Pros
  • They do allow for a work/life balance that was much better than my previous employer (in 51 reviews)

• It's also a great place for young college grads to get resume experience (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • no room for advancement unless you want to change your job title and keep doing the same thing (in 23 reviews)

• Politics, no room for growth - you're either a broker or a branch manager unless you want to move to St (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

A great place to start out and build some experience, but not somewhere I would spend a career.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

Scottrade is a growing company with a need for many new employees. This creates opportunities to move within the company to different departments that you might want to work for. Lateral movement is fairly easy in this company. Management has been very helpful in achieving a good work/life balance for myself. They understand that this is a job and not a lifestyle.

Cons

Management is not very helpful in terms of communication. It feels as though projects are sometimes thrown together without everyone at the top knowing what is going on. This might have worked 15 years ago when the company was much smaller, but for a discount brokerage that is focused on technology it is unacceptable.

There is definitely a feeling of nepotism at the company right now. Those that have been with the company for a decade or more are being thrust into positions that they might not necessarily be the best candidates for. This leads to poor management in some departments, and ultimately it affects newer employees. Upward mobility is very difficult at this company.

Open lines of communication between management and employees. There is a big disconnect between senior management and employees. Stop promoting from within. Some of the best hires that the company has had have come from outside the company. Just because a person has been with Scottrade for many years does not qualify them for a senior position. The company is young and has potential, but only if better management can be found.

Fun atmosphere, but not so much fun for interns

Current Employee - Intern
    Current Employee - Intern

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

Scottrade has a fun, laid back atmosphere. HR really cares about making the employees happy, and generally, those who work at Scottrade are pretty content. Because it's a customer-orientated business, it does make for some interesting days and funny stories.

Customers like the low commissions and good service, though, and since I was a customer myself, it made it easy to pitch the product to new customers. Rodger Riney, the CEO, definitely knows what he's doing with the company.

Cons

Interns are not properly trained. Because of the way the business operates (managers and brokers must be ready for customers when they arrive), there is not much time to train interns on what's working/not working. Intern reviews are few and far between. Intern training consists mostly of online slideshows/presentations and self-teaching. There's also very little an intern can do to go "above and beyond" during their time there. They're stuck doing the same thing day after day with very little chance for anything new.

There is definitely a sense of "once 5:00pm hits, it's time to leave immediately" rather than working extra to get additional work done, but this is likely because the discount brokerage business is a B2C, not B2B.

Customers can be a pain sometimes, too, mostly because of the nature of the business. Discount brokerages survive on low commissions, and that brings in the bottom of the barrel customers - those with little money and lots of complaints.

Think about the interns! Sure, management cares deeply about the new brokers and managers, but interns are given almost no actual in-person training at all, other than during the first few days. All phone calls are recorded anyways, so why aren't there more call reviews and reviews in general?

Good Intro job

Former Employee - Intern in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Intern in Orlando, FL

I worked at Scottrade

Pros

9-5 every day. Never having to work late. Nice employee technology. There is a very positive work environment. Most of the branches are small (4-5 employees) so you get to know your co-workers very well. Branch management was always open for questions and to help you learn.

Cons

Salary, Basically an inbound call center at the branch. You play a large customer service role. The branch managers do not like to take phone calls and that syste flows right down the seniority chain. Therefore, the interns and the junior brokers end up taking a majority of the phone calls.

The internet is strictly monitered and restricted. No sports websites can be accessed.

Slow down on the branches. I know that the more branches that are open, the more recognition the company receives, but there were quite a few days when we barely had any phone calls. That makes the day tough when you are just sitting around all day.

Great company to work for and gain valuable experience and information.

Current Employee - Stockbroker in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Stockbroker in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

It is a great place to gain experience and learn about the industry as a whole. It is also a place where communication is key, and workers from all levels of the company can communiate pretty freely with one another (suggestions, information, conversations, etc.).

Cons

The compensation ranks among the lower end in the industry.

To review the compensation given to employees. Also, when it comes to upgrades or getting current technology, the small things matter just as much as the big things (i.e. branch technology compared to customer technology).

Good place to gain experience, not a place to build a career

Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

Belief in developing their associate to be more productive in their role at the company and as an individual. They truely do believe in placing customer service on top of their agenda and making sure all associates follow this. Great emphasis on it innovation, and innovation in general. Work is over at five pm, no need to stay over time. Everyone is pretty low key. Work with a lot of diverse individuals with different backgrounds in the industry. Everyone always has a different perspective and advice to give to others, helpful in general. Communication is very open through all departments.

Cons

Non competitive compensation for all levels of associates. Very low morale due to this factor- a number of associates work two jobs to substain a family. This is the number one complaint heard at all branches. There is a lot of stress, a lot of stockbrokers do pick up the smoking habit. Mainly due to customers. A lot, and I emphasis a lot, of paper work. A lot of promotions (a huge plus) and also a lot of people leaving that leaves with a lot of transfers, many branches do not have a permanent branch manager, which is frustrating to stay the least.

Better management skills in relation with the internship program.

Good place to work if you're over 40.

Current Employee - Stockbroker in Lancaster, OH
    Current Employee - Stockbroker in Lancaster, OH

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

Very strong culture among employees. You really feel like Scottrade cares about you, and they give you a lot of perks (free lunches, toys, gift cards, etc). You work in a small branch so you know everyone you work with and you are all typically very good friends. Also the customers are rather consistent as well so you get to develope relationships with your customer and it becomes fun.

Cons

You won't gain experience to work anywhere else in other financial companies. The ability to learn is capped really early, and you are really only learning about customer service. Also the job is very tedious and repetitive. Nothing ever interesting happens unless the market crashes and you get to tell customers all sorts of crazy news.

They are all great.

Scottrade offers good pay, good benefits and room for growth.

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

Scottrade offers good pay and good benefits. They are known for promoting from within and are always looking to advance their current employees careers.

They have some very unique benefits. They will pay part of a gym membership, match charitable donations up to $10,000 and have many contests throughout the year.

In addition you get generous vacation time starting your first year. Also, Stock Brokers get paid time and half for any time worked over 40 hours.

Cons

One of the biggest downsides is that the offices are small (normally two to four people per office). It can make it more difficult to have time off around the holidays.

Keep up the good work.

Good job, not great pay

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

as a stepping stone or if you want to become a manager without waiting 10 years

Cons

The pay is not as competitve as it is with other firms

Pay us a little more. change the bonus structure so that it is factored into our pay rather than as a bonus.

Scottrade-A Good 9-5

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

Scottrade provides an excellent work environment. Branches are manned by a small staff and it is easy to build decent working and personal relationships with co-workers. The best part of the job is the people with whome I work. Scottrade is a good stepping stone for career starters. Over the years, we have had 33% of our college interns go on to full-time positions with Scottrade. There are opportunities for advancement from inter to branch manager. There are many positions availabl in the corporate headquaters. Scottrade provides many unexpected perk, like gifts during Christmas. Management is especially generous when we receive the JD Power Award for Excellence which we have several times now.

Cons

There are opportunites for advancement it is quite likely that you will have to relocate to take advantage of these. If you want to advance in Corporate you must relocate to St. Louis, MO, enough said. Upper management makes an attempt to micro-manage local branches, it is an annoyance. It also leads to the us and them syndrome and is very 1984. Currently, I am review by my manager nine times per year. Yes, you heard me nine times. This creates a very Orwellian atmosphere. Compensation and benefits are okay. They could be better. Especially benefits like dental which is not a benefit at all but a discout program. Oh, by the way, some genius in human resources though it be a boost to morale if Scottrade would send an annual report to every employee about hom much cost we are to Scottrade to make us all feel better about the meager compensation.

I think a focus on attracting and retaining talent would be in order. It seems that the company focus more on the cheapest labor for the buck and not on staff that can effectively do the job. Many new intiatives for customers are not implement in a thoughtful way. It would pay if we spent a little less on opening branches and more on compensation and benefits. We'll get what we pay for and right now it's not much.

A great career starter, but definitely not where you want to retire.

Current Employee - Stockbroker in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Stockbroker in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

Great opportunity. A lot of room to work, but not very much room to get promoted. The atmosphere and employees are great. We definitely believe in high customer satisfaction. Scottrade has won the JD power and associates award in customer service several years in a row. There are many branch offices opening which opens many more positions to fill if you need to relocate.

Cons

not very many positions. Trainee, intern, broker, and manager are pretty much it. There are very many branch offices opened, but very minimal amount of employees in each except maybe the corporate side.

This is a great company to start off working for to gain experience, but eventually you may want to branch out to advising or consulting.