Scottrade Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
3.7

Scottrade Founder, President, and CEO Rodger O. Riney
Rodger O. Riney

Pros
  • The work/life balance is great--I never put in longer than an 8-hour day (in 40 reviews)

• It's also a great place for young college grads to get resume experience (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Small office environment, lack of growth/promotion unless willing to move to St (in 25 reviews)

• no room for advancement unless you want to change your job title and keep doing the same thing (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Intern  in  Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Intern in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

Excellent atmosphere and work environment, fair and transparent workplace, growing business with opportunity for full-time employment and advancement. Overall, I would recommend Scottrade to anyone interested in Investments, Brokerages, or the Finance Industry.

Cons

Can be a lack of challenges in the workplace. Limited competition and incentive to attain business compared to most brokerages. At times the working day can be slow.

Increase employee incentive to gain business.

Great Place to Intern

Current Employee - Intern  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Intern in Miami, FL

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

Camaraderie developed amongst employees
    Hands- on experience (i.e. one on one client interactions)
    Continuous opportunities to learn and develop skills

Cons

Lunch breaks are very minimal and limited. Often employees must take lunch at their desk and set it aside when dealing with clients. So essentially there are no breaks. Unless you clock out for 30 mins.

Riney is doing an excellent job thus far as a leader. If any advice is to be given it is for individual departments be readily more available to branches.

Depends on what you're looking for...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Scottrade

Pros

Small branch environment makes it easy for you to interact with other employees; technology in terms of computer and software was really great.

Cons

Unless you're working at HQ, it's hard to see opportunities for advancement. Once you're a broker, you may eventually become a branch manager, and then what?

Keep expanding branch size, keep the helicopter for commercials because it's awesome, and giving employees gifts is always appreciated, especially in hard times!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Discount broker

Current Employee - Stockbroker  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Stockbroker in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

No cold calls or sales. Lots of reports, the branch acts like a call center with some walk in traffic. You work with great people and every manager I have encontered have been reall helpful and want you to succeed. Really great functions and things to do if you work for corporate. Has won mulitiple best places to work awards and I think that it is a great place to work.

Cons

Small group you work with all day, (3-5 people) if you want to advance or do something else besides work in a branch, you have to be in IT or move to headquarters in Saint Louis MO. Salary is below what a normal licensed person would receive.

Slow down on opening branches. Let the company grow more organically. Great management and executives. Wish there was more ways to advance in the branches.

Wonderful place to work

Current Employee - Branch Manager  in  Covington, LA
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Covington, LA

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

Contrary to some of the other reviews, I found many opportunities for advancement. I started as a Financial Office Assistant and am now a Branch Manager. If you are willing to relocate there are even more opportunities for advancement. Scottrade is also committed to promoting from within which creates low turnover and a very dedicated workforce. Scottrade also provides a comprehensive benefits package. They offer paid vacation & sick time; health, vision, and dental insurance; and even wellness benefits. I love working for Scottrade.

Cons

There aren't many cons to working at Scottrade. The only one I can think of is the office size. The offices generally have 2 - 5 fulltime associates. During busier seasons it can be difficult to take time off. Having said that, Scottrade makes every effort to find coverage for branches that have an a need for it.

Keep up the good work. Your committment to Scottrade employees and clients is evident.

If you are into IT, do NOT work here

Current Employee - Subservient Slave - Worker Bee  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Subservient Slave - Worker Bee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

Benefits are great. That's it.

Cons

With all the people we are hiring, and branches we are opening bonuses are down. I don't care what management says about "interest rates", it doesn't help when you open 2 branches a week and have to hire 2 - 4 people per branch and double/triple/quadruple the size of some departments. Guess what? The pool gets smaller to share. Also, if you are even considering working in the IT development department (especially the web side) GO SOMEWHERE ELSE! It used to be about fixing problems and getting work done. Now it's who can we blame and how can I make myself look better to my supervisors. It's constantly working under a cloud of fear of being fired. Being called out by your supervisor in front of all your peers, being "teased" about being fired, being constantly reminded that you've made mistakes and are being watched at all times makes every person work in fear. When people are complaining about physical reactions from work, pain, soreness, tense, uptight, work should not be like this.

Ever since certain people have come into new titles and power, Scottrade has become more of a sweat shop instead of a job. Business is not our "customer" anymore, they are our slave drivers. Our supervisors , not matter how they may "act", treat us as their personal gophers. Unless you can change the core attitude, Scottrade as a company is doomed when the economy gets better. Listen to your workers Rodger, listen to what the real workers are saying, not your "management", they don't care about the company, only padding their resume.

Great Company To Work For

Current Employee - Branch Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

The culture and people are second to none. Management strives to make it a wonderful place to work for and they truly succeed.

Cons

In my opinion there are no cons to working at Scottrade. If anything, the lack of advancement to senior management, which is perfectly understandable because HQ is in St Louis. Although, management does offer promotions to qualified branch employees.

I believe management does a great job and I am 100% happy with my company and the decisions that management has made.

Great place to learn.

Current Employee - Service Center Stockbroker  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Service Center Stockbroker in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

Great place to learn about discount brokerage indus.

Cons

No where to really move a broker.

No comment

Unprofessional manager and working envirment

Current Employee - Stock Broker  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Stock Broker in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

Good benefit, easy job, overtime income

Cons

No space to improve, work with a group of unprofessional people who are not very educated!

Be more professional!

The Best!

Current Employee - Stock Broker  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Stock Broker in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

Sense of family within Scottrade, great work environment with fellow colleagues, fair compensation, fun environment, gain priceless sales experience within the company.

Cons

the only downsides to this company is the lack of advancement and compensation. The term discount broker really applies and the employee really gets the the discount compensation. And not much room for advancement within the company unless you move to St. Louis.

Should offer advancement in the company and increased compensation to branch employee's. The environment is great at Scottrade, wonderful employee's and great communication between co-workers.

Worked for Scottrade? Contribute to the Community!