Scottrade

Updated December 18, 2014
2.8

Scottrade Founder, President, and CEO Rodger O. Riney
Rodger O. Riney

Pros
  • They do allow for a work/life balance that was much better than my previous employer (in 51 reviews)

• It's also a great place for young college grads to get resume experience (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • no room for advancement unless you want to change your job title and keep doing the same thing (in 23 reviews)

• Politics, no room for growth - you're either a broker or a branch manager unless you want to move to St (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Scottrade a great environment.

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

One of the best work life balanced company to work for. Lots of employee perks and a real effort to maintain an easy going atmosphere.

Cons

You must be a self starter and take advantage of quiet times with the online learning or assisting with projects other than your own. If you are not self directed and able to do this, you may get bored.

Better communication of career path opportunities.

Dec 9, 2014Social Recruiting Team

Thanks for your comments. A good work-life balance is important to us, and we’re glad to hear you’re taking advantage of the opportunities available to you.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work. 401k match of 50%. Has never laid off its employees. Benefits are strong. I have been with the company over 10 years. We have a great leader.

Cons

Too many employees still wanting to only provide service. If you do not want to be in Sales, leave the company so it can move forward. People don't seem to think change can be a good thing. I have made $30k more each of the last 2 years due to the new compensation plan. I work hard and have proven my sales skills. The years of getting paid to sit around waiting on a customer to call or come in are over. Get on board people!

Get rid of those managers or investment consultants that are not producing and find quality sales people that want to make great income. They are hurting our ability to grow and move forward.

Dec 9, 2014Social Recruiting Team

Thank you for your review. Our Branch Managers are an important component of our success. We’re happy to hear you understand and support Scottrade’s commitment to meet the changing needs and goals of ... More

Boring

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Newport News, VA

I worked at Scottrade as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

If you are looking for a simple, clear cut job, this is for you. Scottrade is slow to change.

Cons

People do the same thing with little to know change for 15 plus years. There is little opportunity to think or be creative. All the "investment consultants" do is make cold sales pitches to current clients, trying to bring over more assets. It is an unsustainable and boring business model.

Get rid of toxic, politically incorrect branch managers.

Dec 9, 2014Social Recruiting Team

We appreciate your feedback. While we may not have been a fit for you, we hope you gained some good experience to take to your next position.

Avoid at all cost

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

None. Any of the pros written by score fluffers on other reviews forget that those pros are available at any other firm.

Cons

After years of focusing on clients they decided to change everything and in the process they destroyed the lives of hundreds of managers and associates. Proof that its still a mess, they hired outside guys from TD to mimic the success of competitors and the CEO that started this revolution has recently left without any reasonable explanation. Throughout the years I heard lies after lies; such as our associates are family but later discarded because they couldn't adjust to the changes, the years Rodger said "We are no going into sales" that's why many managers spent decades working there and today we're in the process losing our culture and family environment. I never thought that this would be done to so many people and have senior management with NO sales experience trying to convince you of what's needed is even wore.

None, It pointless since senior management doesn't listen anyway. They'll tell you otherwise but nothing changes and if you're heard you get a target on your back.

Great company to work for with open communication.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

The company has a family atmosphere, management is personable and approachable. They care about personal and professional development.

Cons

Can be hard to advance sometimes from within certain areas.

Slowly becoming toxic.

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

Excellent benefits, decent vacation policy, good relationships with team members.

Cons

Very high profile employees have either left or got fired. Way too much work for any given employee. Too much micromanagement.

Treat your employees fairly. Compensate fairly. Value your employees more so than the value of your company. Give your employees a sense of welcome, other than driving them out.

Barriers to success

Current Employee - Investment Consultant
    Current Employee - Investment Consultant

I have been working at Scottrade full-time

Pros

Good work life balance. Laid back environment if you get a good branch. Good health benefits and 401k match.CEO isnt a bad guy.

Cons

Decreasing incentive payouts. Guidance referrals are barely worth your time the payout is so weak. Middle management lacks the sales experience and motivation to overcome the lack of pay. They also dont seem to know much when you ask them about where the company is heading or provide much support when you ask for it. Limited career advancement.

Show some leadership. Stop doing role plays on conference calls when your leadership lacks sales experience.Figure out a way to motivate and properly compensate your employees.

Questionable future.

I have been working at Scottrade as an intern

Pros

Pay for your licensing, good hours, growing company. Promotion from within seems to be easy and great.

Cons

Horrible since they changed from service first to sales first. The new environment has caused a lot of more service loving brokers to quit and find employment elsewhere

Go back to service first brokers, we can't be expected to service all these clients and reach unrealistic sales quotas.

Through the experience I have, you gain a lot of analyzing skills

Current Employee - Middle Office Intern in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Middle Office Intern in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Scottrade part-time (less than an year)

Pros

One big pro of Scottrade would definitely be that they are a friendly group of people. I had interviewed with them about 4 times for 3 different positions and they were all extremely friendly.

Cons

There really has not been any cons so far with this company, but I will keep everyone updated if my opinion changes.

N/A

Solid company

Former Employee - Stock Broker in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Stock Broker in Dallas, TX

I worked at Scottrade full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits - 401k match

Cons

No room for growth or advancement